Some love for Russ Okung

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
“Have to give props to left tackle Russell Okung for doing something I never thought I would see in an NFL game (or a biker street fight, for that matter): Okung pancaked Justin Smith in the Thursday night game. Stunning. You do not pancake Justin Smith. You just don’t.” – Peter King in ranking the Seahawks at No. 10 in the Fine Fifteen section of his Monday Morning Quarterback at SI.com

Now let's just get that penalty thang under control ;)

LawHawk

Reaction score
I'm very happy with him this year. I have seen him called out in a positive way several times. He is doing some second-level blocking that is very solid. Even with the penalties, I think he's our best OL in pass protection.

Oh yeah - AND HE'S HEALTHY!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
That pancake block was one of the few positives on offense last Thursday. Russell has been getting back into form these last few weeks. Very glad to see that.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Now, if only Carp would drop about 25 pounds and stay on his blocks until the whistle sounds on every play we'd have a helluva good left-hand side to our O-line.

I still expect more out of him.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Okung's improved play has mostly to do with Carpenter being insterted into the line next to him. I also think Okung has been playing hurt. I look for Okung to get better and better as the season goes on.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
OkungPancakesSmith.gif

zayden185

Reaction score
if you are Darko why is there a piture avatar of Nicolas Cage??

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
He has definitely played better as the season has progressed. I think several of the holding calls he's had against him have been VERY suspect. Hopefully he continues to play well and most importantly, stays healthy (*knocks on wood*).

Hawkintent

Reaction score
I think him and Carp will be a very good left side as long as they can stay on the field together.

I saw Carpenter alone take out Justin Smith on one play and Patrick Willis on another.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Hawkintent":qyzvepmd said:
I think him and Carp will be a very good left side as long as they can stay on the field together.

I saw Carpenter alone take out Justin Smith on one play and Patrick Willis on another.

I don't know about anyone else but once Carp got back in the lineup the Oline play stepped up a lot. Carpenter is very underrated. Now if we can just fix the right side....we will be set. Hopefully Moffit will come back and be able to improve the RG position at least.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Yep, props to Okung. I also am loving Carpenter. We have 2/3 of the OLine set for a few years. Hopefully Moffitt or Sweezy can hold down the RG spot.

What are the chances of Sweezy growing into a RT. It looks like he is 6-5 298. I know he is pretty athletic. It would be nice to stabilize that line for years to come.

kearly

Reaction score
zayden185":cebrn0fy said:
if you are Darko why is there a piture avatar of Nicolas Cage??

That's just a generic picture of ghost rider. THIS is an avatar of Nicolas Cage:

mario_3.gif

HawkWow

Reaction score
In the past, Okung seemed to play with a bit of nastiness reminescent of that a-hole LG we once had (Yeah, the good one). I don't really see that mean streak in him this year. He's more Walt than Hutch in his demeanor but I like the fact he's not getting penalized as much. It looks like his Bambi-on-ice ankles are doing better as well, but unless this line really starts to gel, I am less than satisfied with both them and the play calling.

Pete/Bevell seem to think we have these PB Hogs up front, opening huge gashes and running lanes for ML. Run, Run, Pass. I don't believe we do and cite how many YAC ML is forced to get. I say forced because that's what it is. We all love his dramatic YAC, but the dude is getting hit immediately and on almost every play. He won't last at this rate and I'd hate to see him go down before he / we can win a SB. Bevell needs to mix things up a bit more until we can get a true roadgrader to take some heat off of Lynch. I dread the day we find out he's actually human.

Latest posts