More East coast scheduling bias

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
More East coast scheduling bias
Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:31 am
  • A couple years ago the NFL changed things around when the 8 year scheduling cycle ended. They did not want east coast teams to have to travel all the way to the west coast twice in one season so they adjusted the schedule so east coast teams would never have to travel to both Seattle and San Fran or San Diego and Oakland in the same year. It was adjusted so they would have one long road trip combined with a shorter road trip to Denver Kansas city, St Louis.

But that doesn't seem to be enough

I noticed a common denominator in our five home games where we don't play our division rivals but we are playing teams from the East

Dallas 10 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Thursday game
    Green Bay 11 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Thursday game
    Minnesota 10 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Thursday game
    New York Jets 14 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Bye

Looks like they screwed New England for the had us on a regular schedule

This sure seems like it is not a coincidence.
    warden
    NET Veteran

Re: More East coast scheduling bias
Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:55 am
  • Only problem with your "East Coast bias" theory is that Dallas, Green Bay and Minnesota are all Central teams, none of them are on the East Coast or in the Eastern time zone.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:01 pm
  • Carolina also had 14 days to prepare...

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:18 pm
  • Oh geez..
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Only problem with your "East Coast bias" theory is that Dallas, Green Bay and Minnesota are all Central teams, none of them are on the East Coast or in the Eastern time zone.

All the more reason to give them the extra time, no?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 pm
  • Yeah not to mention our SoS this year is beyond difficult. Not to mention having the short week to travel to SF in what was a very important division game. I think if our team can over come this it really speaks to how good we really are and i think we have something special going for how very young we are and i see doing nothing but getting younger in next years draft. A legit #1 reciever, RoT, and Hill are the weak points of our team atm.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:00 pm
  • From what I understand, there is one guy that does the whole schedule. (He's the guy that Harbaugh looked up during the owners meetings.) It is entirely possible that this guy doesn't have an east coast bias as much as he simply doesn't like the Seahawks.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:33 pm
  • The entire rest of the NFC West has to come through here in December.

Schedule man is your friend.
    LusciousJames
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 am
  • There is some serious WTF in our schedule and I can't shake the feeling that the NFL would never allow one of it's favored teams to have played it. I honestly think the schedule has been manipulated not to hurt the Seahawks but to prevent hurting some other teams and that it all seems to have fallen on us is really more to do with the attitude of it's just Seattle, hell we could probably steal a Super Bowl from them and no one would even care.

Oh well, it will inevitably only make us stronger and if we do overcome all these obstacles and prevail it would make for one hell of a story.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 am
  • jfurdell wrote:The entire rest of the NFC West has to come through here in December.

This.
    The Cards and the Rams will be checked out by then, too.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:28 am
  • We really are a whiney fanbase. The schedule was tough at the beginning, but appears to be extremely favorable at the end. We've come through the tough part, and will be at worst 4-4 and at best 5-3 after 8 games. That's pretty good. Stop whining.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:09 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Only problem with your "East Coast bias" theory is that Dallas, Green Bay and Minnesota are all Central teams, none of them are on the East Coast or in the Eastern time zone.

When I went off to college in Wisconsin, there were people who thought I was going to the East Coast. Lake Michigan is pretty big, ya know!
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 am
  • One thing I don't like about the Thursday games is the fact that they have been division games for some, but not all.. CHI-GB, SEA-SF, STL-AZ, CLE-BAL.. precious Giants and Steelers get road games against conference foes.. make it equitable.. if some play division games, then it is possible to schedule all..

Personally, I like the Thursday games but would rather see those game be used to highlight NFC vs AFC.. the games mean something, but not as much as a division game on a short week.

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:09 am
  • I like that we got the AFC east this year for the interconference games. Since we took mcare of the Patriots, besides the Jets D, we should have no trouble with them, the Bills, or the Fins. Each one of those teams have a few glaring deficiencies.

And a Canada game, how cool is that?
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 am
  • Barthawk wrote:One thing I don't like about the Thursday games is the fact that they have been division games for some, but not all.. CHI-GB, SEA-SF, STL-AZ, CLE-BAL.. precious Giants and Steelers get road games against conference foes.. make it equitable.. if some play division games, then it is possible to schedule all..

Personally, I like the Thursday games but would rather see those game be used to highlight NFC vs AFC.. the games mean something, but not as much as a division game on a short week.

I think they should all be division games for 2 reasons. 1) less travel (typically). Regionally aligned divisions have the teams closer to each other. You could do an NFC West-AFC West match up (and with the other divisions too) but you could only do that every 4 years. 2) teams know each other better. It should take less prep time for division foes to learn each other and put up a good game.

But either way, I do agree there should be consistency.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 am
  • The term "east coast bias" isn't correct. "Large and/or beloved market" is really the correct one, though far from succinct. If the Seahawks were to win 3 of the next 5 Super Bowls, we'd become one of those markets. Bandwagon fans, unite!....
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:We really are a whiney fanbase.

Never underestimate the ability of NW fans to create biases, even when none exist.

Could it be that the teams the thread creator listed are all popular teams that have played on Thursday or Monday night in the beginning part of the season?

Detroit's going to play a short week after being on tonight, OMG west coast bias!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm
  • Baltimore Ravens played four games in 18 days so they are wondering why they are not benefiting from the East Coast bias :)

Read the Simmons article that slams Goodell for Thursday Night games and I couldn't agree more.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Detroit's going to play a short week after being on tonight, OMG west coast bias!

Like Roland said, it's more a "large and/or beloved market" thing. Those teams just happen to be congregated largely on the east coast. All the teams are.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:11 pm
  • jfurdell wrote:The entire rest of the NFC West has to come through here in December.

I noticed that too. I'm thinking one or two of those games are going to be VERY relevant. It's pretty sweet to play them at home.
    SanDiegoSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Detroit's going to play a short week after being on tonight, OMG west coast bias!

Like Roland said, it's more a "large and/or beloved market" thing. Those teams just happen to be congregated largely on the east coast. All the teams are.

Are you sure it's not nefariously cloaked NFL east coast biased schedule puppet masters stationed off the coast of New York on an unmarked island made of solid gold bullion bars lighting their big cigars with $100 bills laughing maniacally at the expense of our poor Seahawks?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm
  • Nope. What it is some damn TV exec in a fancy corner office on Park Ave., and all he gives a rip about is that he sells 5Mil more ad dollars per timeout for games in the Eastern time zone vs all others.

The NFL can make teams play different divisions every year plus same rated teams from the previous year, BUT, TV decides who plays when.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 pm
  • Not sure if the link below will work (mobile link)

But point is Goodell saying more West-coast teams playing on East Coast will have afternoon kickoff. Maybe the side benefit is good afternoon games. Two Sundays ago had the bet afternoon slate I can remember in a long time. Last weekend was abysmal...

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8539668
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:We really are a whiney fanbase. The schedule was tough at the beginning, but appears to be extremely favorable at the end. We've come through the tough part, and will be at worst 4-4 and at best 5-3 after 8 games. That's pretty good. Stop whining.

Favourable at the end??? Chicago, San Fran, Minnesota the way they are now playing? Even Miami in Miami at 10 am is not a gimmi. I am still hopeing for 10 and 6 but we did not get a good schedule this year.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:17 am
  • rainger wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:We really are a whiney fanbase. The schedule was tough at the beginning, but appears to be extremely favorable at the end. We've come through the tough part, and will be at worst 4-4 and at best 5-3 after 8 games. That's pretty good. Stop whining.

Favourable at the end??? Chicago, San Fran, Minnesota the way they are now playing? Even Miami in Miami at 10 am is not a gimmi. I am still hopeing for 10 and 6 but we did not get a good schedule this year.

Yes, favorable. Three of the last four are at home, and the road game is against the Bills in Canada.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information