What's the longevity of this FO?

O-LineFan

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been posted, But I was thinking about the great FO that's been assembled here in Seattle.

I recall a post several weeks ago regarding Schneider's dream job in Green Bay and that he would go back there after their current GM bails.

Add in the fact that PC is the second oldest coach in the league, and it seems like we have a bit of a "flash in the pan" as it were.

Now, I'm not the type to have a WIN NOW type of personality. After thinking about the longevity of our FO, I'm beginning to feel like we need to make a run at the Superbowl at some point in the next two years if we want to win with the lineup we have now.

Thoughts are very much appreciated.

PS- I don't think Lynch has much left in his career either (you can't run that physically and stick around for 10 years)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I'm sure others on here know when GB's GM's contract is up. If he bails, I'm sure JS will jump ship. That would suck IMO. I think Pete stays for a long while. I think we will post a winning record and maybe get in the playoffs. Next year we should continue to improve. I would guess Pete stays at least 4 or 5 more years leading what will be a dynasty. After that, who knows?

Lynch I give one more year, maybe two. Again, who knows?

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Holmgren's dream job was to be in charge of the 49ers. The job came up several times while he was coaching the Seahawks. Did he jump ship? No. This is silly. John Schneider is not going anywhere. He's not going to jump ship on one GM job to go be a GM elsewhere. Any GM's dream job is to build a superbowl winning team. Schneider is in too deep in Seattle to give it all up now.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
O-LineFan":v11qgx8a said:
I recall a post several weeks ago regarding Schneider's dream job in Green Bay and that he would go back there after their current GM bails.
You recall someone's blind speculation. Any one of us stating Schneider will go back to Green Bay once their current GM leaves, is meaningless.

The situation Schneider is in here is as good as it's ever going to get. His family is now established here -- which includes his autistic son, who most likely gets better care in the Seattle area than would be available in Green Bay. I seriously doubt he's going anywhere.

schkoot

Reaction score
I think we should make a run at the superbowl ever year. 8)

OP
OP
O-LineFan

O-LineFan

Reaction score
Very good points all around. Like I had said, that post regarding Schneider up and leaving was a vague recollection and I'm glad to hear there wasn't much backing that assumption.

I really hope we keep everyone around for a good long while and build a dynasty. except maybe Bevell, but I digress.

Good point about PC sticking around a long while, when you look at someone like a Dick Lebeau who's in his 70's now (even though he's just the DC), makes me hopeful that Pete's youthful enthusiasm and passion will keep him around for a looong time.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My best guess is Pete and John re-up with the Hawks for another four years after their current contracts expire after the 2014 eason... thereby taking them through the 2018 season.

Just a guess but I'd be shocked if both did not extend together as a package deal of sorts... and four years seems about right to me at this point in time.

zayden185

Reaction score
Scneider is young and successful, proven to grade talent after the first round in green bay and now here......those guys dont go anwhere...this team is the future of the NFC...

i was thinking more next year, but we are on the cusp this year after 2 offseasons?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Bakergirl":3kb7dg88 said:
Holmgren's dream job was to be in charge of the 49ers. The job came up several times while he was coaching the Seahawks. Did he jump ship? No. This is silly. John Schneider is not going anywhere. He's not going to jump ship on one GM job to go be a GM elsewhere. Any GM's dream job is to build a superbowl winning team. Schneider is in too deep in Seattle to give it all up now.

It's not silly at all. How did what Holmgren do in any way relate to what Schenider might do? It doesn't work like that.

Alas, I agree that Schneider will stay until we get the ring.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
To the OP...I think the longevity is definitely tied to the offense's development. It would appear the next phase (and final piece) of the rebuild is the acquisition of legitmate young play makers (specifically WR and TE) and that might be the key.

drdiags

Reaction score
Schneider is Wisconsin born with an affinity toward the Packers. It was the Packers media that talked about John as the successor to Thompson. Until it happens you would have to side with those who say no way. I am not as positive as some of my fellow fans but for now they have the floor.

As far as how long will Pete and John be together running this organization, unless the offense never pans out I think Pete does at least 10 years here, counting the current 3. Schneider is getting notoriety for the work he and Pete are doing here. Would depend on what the team looks like over the next few years. Plus, heaven forbid, if new ownership comes in here then all bets are off.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I bet when Mr. Allen offers that pay raise that speculated dream stuff will go out the window as he puts the pen to the dotted line.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If Schneider proves he's a definite keeper... I'm sure Paul Allen will make sure he goes nowhere.

kearly

Reaction score
#1: John Schneider is a hard worker, but the real brains of our FO is Pete Carroll. He's not just the coach- he's team president- aka John Schneider's boss. Many of our best draft picks have Pete Carroll's fingerprints all over them. Many of our best draft picks became successful because of how Carroll coached them and schemed them. If anyone thinks that John Schneider does it all and that he won't miss a beat without Carroll, I strongly suspect they would be in for a rude awakening. Schneider is very good at what he does, but it's his ability to work so well with Carroll that has made him one of the best GMs in the NFL.

#2: I haven't heard anything about John Schneider wanting to move. It's pretty uncommon for a GM to pick up and leave for a lateral move unless his seat is getting warm. He also has a young family and that factors too. If it really is his dream to work in Green Bay, he's got 20+ years left to take that plunge should he choose. He's one of, if not the youngest GMs in the league.

#3: If JS did want to move, I'm not sure he's proven himself nationally enough to do it. We follow the Seahawks closely and we know how awesome of a job he's done, but the Seahawks currently have a losing record under John Schneider and until he puts together a few winning seasons I don't think his reputation will catch up nationally. Then again, NFL insiders, especially those in Green Bay, probably have a pretty good idea of how good Schneider is. So maybe this is a moot point.

#4: I'm pretty sure longevity won't be a problem for this FO or for Carroll. This regime is going to make a few runs deep in the playoffs before it's all said and done.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1cp1qnb9 said:
Bakergirl":1cp1qnb9 said:
It's not silly at all. How did what Holmgren do in any way relate to what Schenider might do? It doesn't work like that.

"Alas"?

seedhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2cyh3q1q said:
#1: John Schneider is a hard worker, but the real brains of our FO is Pete Carroll. He's not just the coach- he's team president- aka John Schneider's boss. Many of our best draft picks have Pete Carroll's fingerprints all over them. Many of our best draft picks became successful because of how Carroll coached them and schemed them. If anyone thinks that John Schneider does it all and that he won't miss a beat without Carroll, I strongly suspect they would be in for a rude awakening. Schneider is very good at what he does, but it's his ability to work so well with Carroll that has made him one of the best GMs in the NFL.

#2: I haven't heard anything about John Schneider wanting to move. It's pretty uncommon for a GM to pick up and leave for a lateral move unless his seat is getting warm. He also has a young family and that factors too. If it really is his dream to work in Green Bay, he's got 20+ years left to take that plunge should he choose. He's one of, if not the youngest GMs in the league.

#3: If JS did want to move, I'm not sure he's proven himself nationally enough to do it. We follow the Seahawks closely and we know how awesome of a job he's done, but the Seahawks currently have a losing record under John Schneider and until he puts together a few winning seasons I don't think his reputation will catch up nationally. Then again, NFL insiders, especially those in Green Bay, probably have a pretty good idea of how good Schneider is. So maybe this is a moot point.

#4: I'm pretty sure longevity won't be a problem for this FO or for Carroll. This regime is going to make a few runs deep in the playoffs before it's all said and done.

I disagree. JS is here for the long haul. He knew when he signed on he would probably outlast/outlive Pete. Yes indeed PC has his fingerprints on lots of our moves, but I chalk a lot of that up to JS learning from another perspective. I look at what JS is doing as about the same as the Stealers or Packers. It is Moneyball Football. Reward key guys but do not overpay. Fill holes with 1 or 2 year rentals. If they pan out and fit, sign them long term. If not, move on. Draft the core of the team and keep them if possible, but, have the next guy ready to step in.

No, we are not all the way there yet, but we sure have a good start. And, if indeed Pete leaves, I think JS will have significant input on the new HC, and I bet we don't lose a step.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":26ahxu3h said:
Bakergirl":26ahxu3h said:

I was using it as an example. Simply because a position opens with another team does not mean people are going to automatically jump ship when they have a good gig going for them already. There's no logic in it. First off, he's put a lot of work in making Seattle a contender. Secondly, walking away from it at this point would be like admitting failure, that he can't turn a team with a losing record into a champion. I doubt Schneider is willing to do that to his own reputation and career just so he can go be the ringleader in charge of a circus that's been performing at a high level for decades. On top of that, the Green Bay Packers don't have an owner, this means everyone works for a set pay scale, there is no rich guy with deep pockets to pay him the big bucks for taking over. In other words, Mr. Allen has more to offer him than Green Bay will ever have.