Random Thoughts™ on the 49ers game

kearly

Reaction score
It's weird how last Thursday's game was probably the most meaningful game of the 2012 regular season. Especially in light of today's events. The Seahawks had a lead as late as the 3rd quarter and blew multiple scoring chances. Had they won, they'd have the inside track on a 49ers sweep, and would have added a game in the standings vs. the entire division- for the second week in a row. Playoff odds sites like coolstandings.com don't give odds for results that didn't happen, but I would guess there was a 20 point swing in Seattle's postseason chances based on the outcome of that game. If they beat SF, they are on the inside track for the division.

But they didn't win, and now the division is looking pretty doubtful. On the plus side, Seattle is emerging from a brutal opening 8 game slate with either a 4-4 record or a 5-3 record pending next week. That they've lost all 3 division games sucks (a lot), but I blame that on the schedule makers. First, you never want to open a season on the road at a division rival. The next two division games after that were both on short weeks after emotional wins. We caught Arizona and St. Louis at the wrong time. Arizona is now on a 3 game losing streak after starting 4-0 and the Rams are losers of two straight after starting 3-2. I would much rather be playing those teams on the road later in the year, when historically those teams are essentially playing for draft position.

The 49ers are a different story. They are a team much like Seattle, except more successful. There is no good time to catch a Jim Harbaugh team, and Seattle lost a winnable game from one of the few things that hadn't been a problem this season: drops. As said before, this game was massively important. Without a division crown, Seattle would have to win 3 games on the road in the playoffs to make the Superbowl (barring a rare 5-6 seed championship game). Anyone see that happening? Not me. And by starting 0-3 in the division and losing a chance for a series sweep, Seattle has very likely lost their division tiebreaker against a team that will probably finish with 11 or 12 wins. It is a distinct possibility that the Seahawks might have to win out with 9 games to go to take the division. Anyone see that happening? Not me. So yeah, that last game was kind of important.

And yet, I was totally fine with a loss when the game was over. I went into the game expecting a loss and I got just that. Emotional safety valve? I just don't get myself sometimes. But based on some of the posts I've read here, it appears I was hardly alone in feeling that way. I guess it's because I'm just not quite ready to have unrealistic expectations of this team. Not yet. I imagine this is the same feeling Jets fans had today when they blew a 4th quarter lead at New England.

Instead of being upset, I take it as a positive that we played an elite team in their house on a short week and that our team probably should have won the game if not for self inflicted wounds. Even though we lost, I feel more confident about beating SF in Seattle late in the season than I did a week ago.

Watching the game though, it was almost like an out of body experience. It felt like I was watching the 49ers play some other team that wasn't the Seahawks. It felt like I was watching some other NFL teams playing a football game. It felt... strange. I have no negative feelings right now, but I'm glad it's over. It was a weird situation and a weird game.

Random thoughts:

-The definition of a drop changes from person to person, but Seattle had (officially per the broadcast) six drops in this game, versus just 9 balls that were actually caught... yikes. A lot of people beat up the WRs after the game, but I think that's painting with a broad brush. Only half of those drops were by WRs. Turbin had a huge drop. Lynch had an important drop. And Moore had an ugly drop. But not a peep about them. Golden Tate had a lousy game catching the football, but he had some company.

-I thought Baldwin and Rice played very well, at least in the first half. Rice had a terrific leaping grab to beat good coverage, then turned around and raced up field for another 10 yards or so. Baldwin had a leaping grab of his own, and on a separate play made a clutch third down catch by pinning the ball to his shoulder. It reminded me of the David Tyree "helmet catch" from Superbowl XLII. If you ask me, there's room for improvement in our receiving corps, but it doesn't lack for talent. In the first half, I was actually impressed by how our receivers were doing, until things went to hell later, mainly in regards to Golden Tate.

-I thought it was interesting how Jim Harbaugh uses up 1st half timeouts like candy whenever there was any situation he didn't like. I wish Pete Carroll would take a page.

-I didn't watch Marcus Trufant all game, but he had one pretty amazing tackle that saved a first down and forced a punt. Trufant was never an elite corner, but I'm going to miss him as a sure tackler.

-Candlestick park was very quiet for most of the game.

-I forget the exact time in the game, but you probably will know what I'm referring to. That deep pass to Tate where the defender practically tackled Tate and wasn't flagged for it. How can you not call that? Both teams got breaks- there were at least two obvious penalties I saw Seattle get away with- but that non-call really hurt in a 6-3 football game.

-What was up with that illegal formation flag that extended a Seahawks drive? I would have loved to have won this game on a call that nobody in the broadcast could have explained. Alas...

-Wilson's interception was pretty bad. That said, I don't really care too much about interceptions thrown roughly 50 yards downfield. The way Tedd Ginn was playing, it's preferable to a punt. And no disrespect intended, but I disagree with anyone that gives Edwards even 1% of the blame for that pick. Watch it yourself. Edwards is being screened out of the play and even if he fights into it better he'd come nowhere near the ball. It was just a very poor throw by Wilson.

-That throw aside, I thought Wilson played pretty well. Statistically, it was his worst game of the year, but in the first half he had over 8 yards per attempt despite 3 horrible drops on what would have been long completions. Second half Russell Wilson wasn't as good, but first half Russell Wilson started right where he left off in the Patriots game. I'm really looking forward to seeing Wilson consistently put together 3 or 4 quarters of good football on a regular basis. When he's on, he looks like a no doubter franchise QB.

-On Tate's last drop which denied Seattle a first down in the red zone, I just knew the game was over. I also said a lot of bad words. I made Andrew Dice Clay look like Tim Tebow. And for the first time all season, that "I knew it was over when" feeling was actually right! What a crazy season.

-The 49ers O-line is kinda good.

-Strangely enough, this game was the first time in the Harbaugh-Carroll era where I actually felt like Seattle had the more talented team. It feels like the 49ers have peaked, but Seattle hasn't reached the mountain top yet, and still has a ways to go. This could very well be Seattle's division to lose by next year. It felt like Seattle dominated about 50% of this game, but just couldn't cash in.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Nice job.

On the Illegal formation, the defensive player lined up over the center on the punt and made contact.
(Warren Moon explained it really well on the radio)

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Interesting notes.

I'd say offhand, Jim Harbaugh uses timeouts like candy because he suspects he has a plethora of them waiting, should he want to challenge a play. They give 'em out like candy to the good teams.

I thought the defense had a hand on Wilson's pick, or at least bumped him enough to cause a change of trajectory. Thought that pass should have been thrown infield from what it was.

Yes, one definitely had the feeling Seattle had the better team that night. At least it was a push, with the Seahawks winning that game at home.

Still, a one game lead in the west is not an irreversible lead.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I was incensed on the non-call on PI vs. Tate. The DB came across the field and wacked him out of bounds. No play on the ball, totally just tackled Tate. No defense for the non-call. Probably one of the most blatant I've ever seen. I also felt like it was totally catchable.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
I can agree with most every point except the point about drops not being an issue this season. This was not the first game where drops have cost Seattle. I wish it were.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Maybe they snuck in replacement refs cuz the real refs never screw up....

springscohawk

Reaction score
Thanks Kearly for your "Random Thoughts" post. I look forward to it after every game.

K.J. Wright did not have a good first quarter.

I loved the hard hit on Kapernick when they tried the option on the Hawks.

On the Russell Wilson interception to Edwards, Wilson appeared to have a TE wide open in the right flat (beyond the Rice situation that has been discussed.)

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.

VHawk

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":1o86whsg said:
I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.

Yeah man I really am not a fan of this dudes at all.

Largent80

Reaction score
Aside from all the drops, to me the turning point of the game was when we didn't take advantage of those extra downs from the illegal formation. We punted and they drove it down the field and got a TD.

Schadie001

Reaction score
For me aside from the dropped passes have got to be the play calling. 3rd and 3 and they call a stretch run to Washinton, instead of letting Lynch or Turbin pound it for 3 yards? Or on another 3rd and short we run a WR screen? We are so predictable with on runs and passes. Wilson is best when he can get out of the pocket, but outside of preseason we have hardly seen designed scrambles? We have one of the worst OC's in the league and he is costing us.

largenutz

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":2n126xjq said:
WHAT!!!!!!
LMAO!!!!

djb28

Reaction score
Very nice write up. It is too bad that every year we say, "Next Year"I really have no more patience. I know. We are young. Heard that before too. Those young guys got old and missed the bus. I hope that doesn't happen with this group. They are really good!

AVL

Reaction score
Why would anyone assume that the division is lost? Has anyone in the division won a divisional road game yet? Did anyone in our division blow us away (while at their house, even)
showing vast superiority?

Of course losing to any of them at home would be disastrous, but looking at some schedules, I like our chances.

Other than the negative start, vI liked your random thoughts, K.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
To me the play of the game was Tate's Slant drop. He was wide open (or as wide open as is the case in the NFL) If he catches it it's not only a first down but it could have resulted in a 15-20 yard gain. At that point (first drive of the 2nd half) it was 6-3, and we would have had a great chance at scoring and extending the lead. Instead they drive it the length of the field and score the games only TD.

What I take out of ALL 3 losses is that - All 3 teams are beatable at home. That it was largely SEattle errors that cost us these 3 ballgames. Drop ball in AZ game, special teams TD in Rams game, and Dropped BALLS in SF game.

To me It's imperative that we win against the LIon's. We will be 5-3 next MOnday if we win. Which means if we produce the same 1st half record in the 2nd half of he Seattle we can win 10 games this year- regardless if we make the playoffs or not that would be a big step in the right direction. BUT the last 8 games are 5 home and 3 road. IF we hold court at home and win those 5 and pick up 2 of the 3 on the road, all of a sudden we are looking at a 11-12 win season, which would almost guarantee a playoff spot.

The loss sucked, but in no ways does it kill our chances at the playoffs or even at the division title,IMO. SF just played their first division game on THURSDAY and anything can happen on the road.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I feel worse about the Rams and Cardinals losses than the 49ers loss, but at the end of the season, we're probably going to rue all 3 when it comes time for seeding (especially if we get shut out. Any of the three could be the one that does us in.)

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Another great addition of kearly’s Random Thoughts…

kearly":npy6w8zx said:
Instead of being upset, I take it as a positive that we played an elite team in their house on a short week and that our team probably should have won the game if not for self inflicted wounds. Even though we lost, I feel more confident about beating SF in Seattle late in the season than I did a week ago.

I too walked away from this game thinking the same thing, in fact we have yet to play a team where I felt we’ve been dominated or significantly out played.

I like this young team and given enough time, patience, and a little fortuity they could very well live up to our lofty expectations….

VaSfan4life

Reaction score
Starrman44":1nttgggi said:
I was incensed on the non-call on PI vs. Tate. The DB came across the field and wacked him out of bounds. No play on the ball, totally just tackled Tate. No defense for the non-call. Probably one of the most blatant I've ever seen. I also felt like it was totally catchable.

they way ur corners raped our guys all game.. even Mayock said 3 or 4 times they should have called something or how about the BLATANT facemask on Alex in the 3rd qtr.. they didnt call.. kinda hard to throw the ball when your head is being turned 180 degrees... might be the worst officiated game i have seen since yall on MNF lol.. jk

morgulon1

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":32h2e6fu said:

How dare you not agree with Trey Wingo.