Random Thoughts™ on the 49ers game

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Random Thoughts™ on the 49ers game
Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:37 pm
  • It's weird how last Thursday's game was probably the most meaningful game of the 2012 regular season. Especially in light of today's events. The Seahawks had a lead as late as the 3rd quarter and blew multiple scoring chances. Had they won, they'd have the inside track on a 49ers sweep, and would have added a game in the standings vs. the entire division- for the second week in a row. Playoff odds sites like coolstandings.com don't give odds for results that didn't happen, but I would guess there was a 20 point swing in Seattle's postseason chances based on the outcome of that game. If they beat SF, they are on the inside track for the division.

But they didn't win, and now the division is looking pretty doubtful. On the plus side, Seattle is emerging from a brutal opening 8 game slate with either a 4-4 record or a 5-3 record pending next week. That they've lost all 3 division games sucks (a lot), but I blame that on the schedule makers. First, you never want to open a season on the road at a division rival. The next two division games after that were both on short weeks after emotional wins. We caught Arizona and St. Louis at the wrong time. Arizona is now on a 3 game losing streak after starting 4-0 and the Rams are losers of two straight after starting 3-2. I would much rather be playing those teams on the road later in the year, when historically those teams are essentially playing for draft position.

The 49ers are a different story. They are a team much like Seattle, except more successful. There is no good time to catch a Jim Harbaugh team, and Seattle lost a winnable game from one of the few things that hadn't been a problem this season: drops. As said before, this game was massively important. Without a division crown, Seattle would have to win 3 games on the road in the playoffs to make the Superbowl (barring a rare 5-6 seed championship game). Anyone see that happening? Not me. And by starting 0-3 in the division and losing a chance for a series sweep, Seattle has very likely lost their division tiebreaker against a team that will probably finish with 11 or 12 wins. It is a distinct possibility that the Seahawks might have to win out with 9 games to go to take the division. Anyone see that happening? Not me. So yeah, that last game was kind of important.

And yet, I was totally fine with a loss when the game was over. I went into the game expecting a loss and I got just that. Emotional safety valve? I just don't get myself sometimes. But based on some of the posts I've read here, it appears I was hardly alone in feeling that way. I guess it's because I'm just not quite ready to have unrealistic expectations of this team. Not yet. I imagine this is the same feeling Jets fans had today when they blew a 4th quarter lead at New England.

Instead of being upset, I take it as a positive that we played an elite team in their house on a short week and that our team probably should have won the game if not for self inflicted wounds. Even though we lost, I feel more confident about beating SF in Seattle late in the season than I did a week ago.

Watching the game though, it was almost like an out of body experience. It felt like I was watching the 49ers play some other team that wasn't the Seahawks. It felt like I was watching some other NFL teams playing a football game. It felt... strange. I have no negative feelings right now, but I'm glad it's over. It was a weird situation and a weird game.

Random thoughts:

-The definition of a drop changes from person to person, but Seattle had (officially per the broadcast) six drops in this game, versus just 9 balls that were actually caught... yikes. A lot of people beat up the WRs after the game, but I think that's painting with a broad brush. Only half of those drops were by WRs. Turbin had a huge drop. Lynch had an important drop. And Moore had an ugly drop. But not a peep about them. Golden Tate had a lousy game catching the football, but he had some company.

-I thought Baldwin and Rice played very well, at least in the first half. Rice had a terrific leaping grab to beat good coverage, then turned around and raced up field for another 10 yards or so. Baldwin had a leaping grab of his own, and on a separate play made a clutch third down catch by pinning the ball to his shoulder. It reminded me of the David Tyree "helmet catch" from Superbowl XLII. If you ask me, there's room for improvement in our receiving corps, but it doesn't lack for talent. In the first half, I was actually impressed by how our receivers were doing, until things went to hell later, mainly in regards to Golden Tate.

-I thought it was interesting how Jim Harbaugh uses up 1st half timeouts like candy whenever there was any situation he didn't like. I wish Pete Carroll would take a page.

-I didn't watch Marcus Trufant all game, but he had one pretty amazing tackle that saved a first down and forced a punt. Trufant was never an elite corner, but I'm going to miss him as a sure tackler.

-Candlestick park was very quiet for most of the game.

-I forget the exact time in the game, but you probably will know what I'm referring to. That deep pass to Tate where the defender practically tackled Tate and wasn't flagged for it. How can you not call that? Both teams got breaks- there were at least two obvious penalties I saw Seattle get away with- but that non-call really hurt in a 6-3 football game.

-What was up with that illegal formation flag that extended a Seahawks drive? I would have loved to have won this game on a call that nobody in the broadcast could have explained. Alas...

-Wilson's interception was pretty bad. That said, I don't really care too much about interceptions thrown roughly 50 yards downfield. The way Tedd Ginn was playing, it's preferable to a punt. And no disrespect intended, but I disagree with anyone that gives Edwards even 1% of the blame for that pick. Watch it yourself. Edwards is being screened out of the play and even if he fights into it better he'd come nowhere near the ball. It was just a very poor throw by Wilson.

-That throw aside, I thought Wilson played pretty well. Statistically, it was his worst game of the year, but in the first half he had over 8 yards per attempt despite 3 horrible drops on what would have been long completions. Second half Russell Wilson wasn't as good, but first half Russell Wilson started right where he left off in the Patriots game. I'm really looking forward to seeing Wilson consistently put together 3 or 4 quarters of good football on a regular basis. When he's on, he looks like a no doubter franchise QB.

-On Tate's last drop which denied Seattle a first down in the red zone, I just knew the game was over. I also said a lot of bad words. I made Andrew Dice Clay look like Tim Tebow. And for the first time all season, that "I knew it was over when" feeling was actually right! What a crazy season.

-The 49ers O-line is kinda good.

-Strangely enough, this game was the first time in the Harbaugh-Carroll era where I actually felt like Seattle had the more talented team. It feels like the 49ers have peaked, but Seattle hasn't reached the mountain top yet, and still has a ways to go. This could very well be Seattle's division to lose by next year. It felt like Seattle dominated about 50% of this game, but just couldn't cash in.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Re: Random Thoughts™ on the 49ers game
Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:48 pm
  • Nice job.

On the Illegal formation, the defensive player lined up over the center on the punt and made contact.
    (Warren Moon explained it really well on the radio)
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:56 pm
  • Interesting notes.

I'd say offhand, Jim Harbaugh uses timeouts like candy because he suspects he has a plethora of them waiting, should he want to challenge a play. They give 'em out like candy to the good teams.

I thought the defense had a hand on Wilson's pick, or at least bumped him enough to cause a change of trajectory. Thought that pass should have been thrown infield from what it was.

Yes, one definitely had the feeling Seattle had the better team that night. At least it was a push, with the Seahawks winning that game at home.

Still, a one game lead in the west is not an irreversible lead.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 pm
  • I was incensed on the non-call on PI vs. Tate. The DB came across the field and wacked him out of bounds. No play on the ball, totally just tackled Tate. No defense for the non-call. Probably one of the most blatant I've ever seen. I also felt like it was totally catchable.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:30 pm
  • I can agree with most every point except the point about drops not being an issue this season. This was not the first game where drops have cost Seattle. I wish it were.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:38 pm
  • Maybe they snuck in replacement refs cuz the real refs never screw up....
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:30 pm
  • Thanks Kearly for your "Random Thoughts" post. I look forward to it after every game.

K.J. Wright did not have a good first quarter.

I loved the hard hit on Kapernick when they tried the option on the Hawks.

On the Russell Wilson interception to Edwards, Wilson appeared to have a TE wide open in the right flat (beyond the Rice situation that has been discussed.)
    springscohawk
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 pm
  • I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 am
  • Navyhawkfan187 wrote:I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.

Yeah man I really am not a fan of this dudes at all.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 am
  • Aside from all the drops, to me the turning point of the game was when we didn't take advantage of those extra downs from the illegal formation. We punted and they drove it down the field and got a TD.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:41 am
  • For me aside from the dropped passes have got to be the play calling. 3rd and 3 and they call a stretch run to Washinton, instead of letting Lynch or Turbin pound it for 3 yards? Or on another 3rd and short we run a WR screen? We are so predictable with on runs and passes. Wilson is best when he can get out of the pocket, but outside of preseason we have hardly seen designed scrambles? We have one of the worst OC's in the league and he is costing us.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:06 am
  • Navyhawkfan187 wrote:I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.

WHAT!!!!!!
    LMAO!!!!
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 am
  • Very nice write up. It is too bad that every year we say, "Next Year"I really have no more patience. I know. We are young. Heard that before too. Those young guys got old and missed the bus. I hope that doesn't happen with this group. They are really good!
    djb28
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 am
  • Why would anyone assume that the division is lost? Has anyone in the division won a divisional road game yet? Did anyone in our division blow us away (while at their house, even)
    showing vast superiority?

Of course losing to any of them at home would be disastrous, but looking at some schedules, I like our chances.

Other than the negative start, vI liked your random thoughts, K.
    AVL
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:14 am
  • To me the play of the game was Tate's Slant drop. He was wide open (or as wide open as is the case in the NFL) If he catches it it's not only a first down but it could have resulted in a 15-20 yard gain. At that point (first drive of the 2nd half) it was 6-3, and we would have had a great chance at scoring and extending the lead. Instead they drive it the length of the field and score the games only TD.

What I take out of ALL 3 losses is that - All 3 teams are beatable at home. That it was largely SEattle errors that cost us these 3 ballgames. Drop ball in AZ game, special teams TD in Rams game, and Dropped BALLS in SF game.

To me It's imperative that we win against the LIon's. We will be 5-3 next MOnday if we win. Which means if we produce the same 1st half record in the 2nd half of he Seattle we can win 10 games this year- regardless if we make the playoffs or not that would be a big step in the right direction. BUT the last 8 games are 5 home and 3 road. IF we hold court at home and win those 5 and pick up 2 of the 3 on the road, all of a sudden we are looking at a 11-12 win season, which would almost guarantee a playoff spot.

The loss sucked, but in no ways does it kill our chances at the playoffs or even at the division title,IMO. SF just played their first division game on THURSDAY and anything can happen on the road.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 am
  • I feel worse about the Rams and Cardinals losses than the 49ers loss, but at the end of the season, we're probably going to rue all 3 when it comes time for seeding (especially if we get shut out. Any of the three could be the one that does us in.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 am
  • I also knew it was over when Tate dropped the slant. I could just tell.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:55 am
  • Another great addition of kearly’s Random Thoughts…

kearly wrote:Instead of being upset, I take it as a positive that we played an elite team in their house on a short week and that our team probably should have won the game if not for self inflicted wounds. Even though we lost, I feel more confident about beating SF in Seattle late in the season than I did a week ago.

I too walked away from this game thinking the same thing, in fact we have yet to play a team where I felt we’ve been dominated or significantly out played.

I like this young team and given enough time, patience, and a little fortuity they could very well live up to our lofty expectations….
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:59 am
  • Starrman44 wrote:I was incensed on the non-call on PI vs. Tate. The DB came across the field and wacked him out of bounds. No play on the ball, totally just tackled Tate. No defense for the non-call. Probably one of the most blatant I've ever seen. I also felt like it was totally catchable.

they way ur corners raped our guys all game.. even Mayock said 3 or 4 times they should have called something or how about the BLATANT facemask on Alex in the 3rd qtr.. they didnt call.. kinda hard to throw the ball when your head is being turned 180 degrees... might be the worst officiated game i have seen since yall on MNF lol.. jk
    VaSfan4life
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 am

How dare you not agree with Trey Wingo.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:40 am
  • If it's any consolation, both the Rams and the Cardinals lost as well.

I'll be watching tonite's game closely and so will the Hawks players. I think that having an upcoming opponent play a Monday night game before us is another great way for our players to prepare. Unlike gamefilm and coaching, hearing the announcers and watching the TV coverage is going to be beneficial.

We will beat Detroit.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 am
  • I don't agree that SEA looked like the better team. In the first half, SEA was the better team. But SF was definitely the better team in the second half. It was just a close, physical game. SF made the better second half adjustments.

And I think it is fallacy to assume that had the SEA WRs not dropped those balls, that those possessions would have resulted in TDs.

Looking forward to Dec 23rd. Should be a great game. Hope SEA is still in it then, so SF can crush their dreams and season. Hey, its what rivals wish upon another :)
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 am
  • NorCal wrote:I don't agree that SEA looked like the better team. In the first half, SEA was the better team. But SF was definitely the better team in the second half. It was just a close, physical game. SF made the better second half adjustments.

And I think it is fallacy to assume that had the SEA WRs not dropped those balls, that those possessions would have resulted in TDs.

Looking forward to Dec 23rd. Should be a great game. Hope SEA is still in it then, so SF can crush their dreams and season. Hey, its what rivals wish upon another :)

Actually on Turbin and Moore's drops they were likely going for 6 on the run after catch...
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:26 am
  • Can't believe we still have '9er fans trying to validate themselves in this forum.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:28 am
  • NorCal wrote:Looking forward to Dec 23rd. Should be a great game. Hope SEA is still in it then, so SF can crush their dreams and season. Hey, its what rivals wish upon another :)

As will we…
    In fact I hope you guys are shooting for a home field advantage through the play-offs ahhh…
    For the exactly same reason :D
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 am
  • Great info as always.

After looking at SF losses (and watching a lot of their games) I thought we really did have a good chance of beating them though it would be a tough game either way. The formula (though could be said to be easier said than done sometimes) is to get a little bit of a lead early and make Alex Smith have to beat us rather than them staying even or ahead where they can lean on Gore w/ some Smith easy throws sprinkled in. It does not appear SF is a team that can come from behind for a win, at least at this time in the season.

I felt we were outplaying them in the first 1.5 qtrs minus the drops that were killing us. It really did feel like if we did not have those drops we would have been up a TD or 2 at least and IMOP the game would have followed the line of their minny or NY games. Unfortunately that was not the case and you can not let a good team hang around like that or they will eventually find their rythm. That was the most frustrating part to me that we could have won this game and we "dropsied" it away.

As far as the future of the season, we really made life much tougher for ourselves but it is definately still doable. I personally think we win the next 4 games before probably dropping one to Chicago. We have the 10 days of so to recoup/prep for Det. Minny is going to be tough but at home I think we take them. Jets at home should be ours for the taking. Bye week to prep for the trip to Miami. Going into Chi town is always a bugger esp after just coming back from Miami and late in the season...ick. Also, we seem to do better against good O/bad to moderate D and not so well against good D/bad O.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 am
  • Navyhawkfan187 wrote:
    NorCal wrote:I don't agree that SEA looked like the better team. In the first half, SEA was the better team. But SF was definitely the better team in the second half. It was just a close, physical game. SF made the better second half adjustments.

Actually on Turbin and Moore's drops they were likely going for 6 on the run after catch...

As much as I hate to agree with NorCal , Turbin doesn't make it in. He would have been pushed out and the way our offense has been performing in the RZ, we probably get three.

To me, the biggest drop was Tate missing the first down catch at the beginning of the second half. I'm not sure we would have even scored on the drive, but it changed the entire momentum and dynamic of the game. I don't think SFO scores a TD if we continue that drive and set the tone for the second half.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am
  • VHawk wrote:Can't believe we still have '9er fans trying to validate themselves in this forum.

It's cuz they can see what's coming and they don't like what they see.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:33 am
  • I like well thought out , respectful, and articulate posts from opposing fans who have detailed knowledge of their team, 9ers included. They are some of my favorite threads, good debate is great!

As far the miners needing validation, I'm not so sure. They were 13-3 last year and this year they have the inside track to the NFCW crown. That's internal validation. That being said, they have the tougher part of their schedule ahead of them, and any 9er fan would be foolish to think another div championship is a foregone conclusion.

As a niner fan, I too would be scared though....... We are young, close knit, and are getting better every week. Alex Smith has hit his ceiling, RW is just taking his first step up a long staircase.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:09 am
  • I disagree with Turbin. I don't think Moore makes it, but I think there is a good chance that Turbin does. I also think that those drops took the Seahawk offense out of rhythm. I expect Seattle's offense to get better and better as teh season goes. As the OLine gels and Russell improves, I think it could be a situation where they are playing way above their ranking by season's end.

As far as Niner fans validating themselves. I do feel like they've come on after the game to chide us about the make up of our team. They still don't get how close we are. Telling us their coach is pretty much clearly better than ours. I will take our coach and GM combination over theirs any day. Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:04 pm
  • Thanks for the post. I also look fwd to it every week!
    Brockhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 pm
  • VHawk wrote:
    Navyhawkfan187 wrote:I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.

Yeah man I really am not a fan of this dudes at all.

Really, who the eff is Trey Wingo? Seriously, did this a-hole play the game beyond the high school level? I doubt it. Yo, TV Boy, you're a talking head and you are NOT an expert in football. Ever see a little game called Super Shame.....er, Bowl XL? Where were you after that little fiasco? To sum up eff you and your east coast ESPN bullshit.
    Oh, and one other thing....your stage name sucks too. Next time try something cool like "Lifeson".
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:51 pm
  • Kearly, I too look forward to reading you post after each game. Was going into some withdrawals this week....

Tough loss. Hardest part for me was watching them have their way with the run game. I really didn't think anyone could do that to this team, and if they hadn't we would have won hands down. I think a lot of it has to do with our rookie MLB, and congrats to SF for having such a great OL and a good game plan/half-time adjustments. I think that is something we can fix, but it was bugging the hell out of me.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm
  • Starrman44 wrote:As far as Niner fans validating themselves. I do feel like they've come on after the game to chide us about the make up of our team. They still don't get how close we are. Telling us their coach is pretty much clearly better than ours. I will take our coach and GM combination over theirs any day. Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.

as to the Coach and GM...You like yours and we love ours...congrats to both franchises!

As to Jenkins and James, really?
    Go ahead and look back at the draft and tell me with magical hindsight who you would have drafted...I like that we are developing a fast, agile WR without having to force him out there. And I LOVE having LaMicheal James waiting in the wings, dude was breaking ankles in preseason and we have the luxury of letting him learn the offense without HAVING to have him play right now. James is a game changer and a big part of the future of the Forty Niners.
    Heck, we also have a 4th round O-lineman in Looney who is waiting/learning along with last years draft pick at G Kilgore...Our Oline is already pretty good and young and yet we still are drafting a developing lineman for the future...
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm
  • Starrman44 wrote:Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.

San Francisco returned all 11 starters on defense, as well as their top backups at CB, MLB, OLB, and DL. Randy Moss and Brandon Jacobs were signed to one-year deals, and Gore is 29, so they brought in a WR and RB with their 1st and 2nd round picks.

There really isn't a position at which any rookie 4th round pick could reasonably be expected to beat out one of San Francisco's active players.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:02 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:
    Starrman44 wrote:As far as Niner fans validating themselves. I do feel like they've come on after the game to chide us about the make up of our team. They still don't get how close we are. Telling us their coach is pretty much clearly better than ours. I will take our coach and GM combination over theirs any day. Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.

as to the Coach and GM...You like yours and we love ours...congrats to both franchises!

Go ahead and look back at the draft and tell me with magical hindsight who you would have drafted...I like that we are developing a fast, agile WR without having to force him out there. And I LOVE having LaMicheal James waiting in the wings, dude was breaking ankles in preseason and we have the luxury of letting him learn the offense without HAVING to have him play right now. James is a game changer and a big part of the future of the Forty Niners.
    Heck, we also have a 4th round O-lineman in Looney who is waiting/learning along with last years draft pick at G Kilgore...Our Oline is already pretty good and young and yet we still are drafting a developing lineman for the future...

My basic premise is showing that we can sit and cast a critical eye on the Niners franchise and make fun of your coach treating it like college. I am admittedly being a bit facetious.

Honestly, in the best interest of our Division, I hope you guys do well. Since we moved into the division it has hardly been super competitive consistently.

I am just tired of some Niner fans coming on here and trying to tell us what we need to do. We are just fine. We are as happy with our team as you all are with yours. If we had won the game I would have tipped my hat and said you guys will be just fine, great organization, great team.

The fact that we have tons of draft picks contributing is a testimony of our scouting and management. We know we are in a great position and look forward to establishing a rivalry with you guys. I'd rather hate the Niners than the Rams or Cards (and that's a compliment).
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:
    Starrman44 wrote:As far as Niner fans validating themselves. I do feel like they've come on after the game to chide us about the make up of our team. They still don't get how close we are. Telling us their coach is pretty much clearly better than ours. I will take our coach and GM combination over theirs any day. Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.

if you look at their roster and depth chart, the 49ers really don't have any holes to fill. no player available at their draft picks would have been starting on that team. all the players they picked are stashed for the future most likely.
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:09 pm
  • Starrman44 wrote: I'd rather hate the Niners than the Rams or Cards (and that's a compliment).

Fair enough...I used to HATE the Rams but living up here in the PNW for the past 20 years and then having the hawks drop into our division and living here with hawk fans, well, I hate the hawks now(and that is a compliment as well) :thirishdrinkers:

BTW, I also love that the NFC West is playing well, even though it makes it harder to win the division I do not miss all the NFC Worst crap we heard for years!
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm
  • GeorgeKush wrote:
    Ninerguy wrote:

if you look at their roster and depth chart, the 49ers really don't have any holes to fill. no player available at their draft picks would have been starting on that team. all the players they picked are stashed for the future most likely.

Stephen Hill was available. Height, size, and speed. Already with three td's this year.

Mostly my comments stem from a couple Niners fans coming in and letting us know things like our coach and qb are keeping us from winning.

I really don't have a problem with you all stashing folks. Admittedly I breathed a sigh of relief when you guys passed on Hill, though.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:25 pm
  • Starrman44 wrote:
    GeorgeKush wrote:
    Ninerguy wrote:as to the Coach and GM...You like yours and we love ours...congrats to both franchises!

Stephen Hill was available. Height, size, and speed. Already with three td's this year.

Mostly my comments stem from a couple Niners fans coming in and letting us know things like our coach and qb are keeping us from winning.

I really don't have a problem with you all stashing folks. Admittedly I breathed a sigh of relief when you guys passed on Hill, though.

Hill had really good combine numbers, but he always seemed like a bit of a one-trick-pony to me. Doesn't really have good quickness (as opposed to straight speed), route-running, etc. Potential go-route, jump-ball deep threat, though.

So far this year, he had a monster game in week 1, getting 89 yards on 5 receptions and 2 TD's in the Jets stomping of the Bills. However, since then, he's been pretty quiet.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:50 pm
  • NorCal wrote:I don't agree that SEA looked like the better team. In the first half, SEA was the better team. But SF was definitely the better team in the second half. It was just a close, physical game. SF made the better second half adjustments.

I think SF dominated more when they dominated, but for a long stretch it felt like the Seahawks had the game under control, but couldn't turn it into points. My read on the game was that it should have been 20-6 Seattle going into the 4th quarter without the drops. That's the way the game felt to me. Smith looked badly out of sync the entire game save one drive. Wilson was dialed in during the first half but got killed by drops and eventually lost his rhythm because of it. The 49ers destroyed Seattle in the 4th quarter, but before that it felt like the game was all Seahawks momentum wise. They just couldn't cash in.

Don't get me wrong: SF deserved to win, the way that both teams played, and that's what counts. I'm not trying to cheapen the win. I'm just saying that Seattle looked like the more talented bunch out there. Talented, but underachieving.
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:17 pm

What's wrong with working at McDonalds? Not that I ever worked there...okay okay, so I made some bad choices when I was younger, but I was really drunk at the time, and really really hungry. :?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 pm
  • Seahawks dominated the first half but were unable to capitalize due to unforced errors (dropped passes). Niners dominated the second half and were able to capitalize on their one big opportunity by scoring a touchdown (the only one in the game).

Lynch and the Seahawk O-line out-played the Niners D. Gore and the Niner O-line out-played the Seahawk D even more.

The Seahawk passing game sucked. The Niner passing game sucked less.

In summary, the Seahawks got outplayed. You can argue which team has the most talent or who will be better next year, but that is all meaningless speculation. One team (the Niners) executed on the field, beat the Pete Carroll Seahawks for the third time in a row, and is now in first place. Up to this point, the Niners have been the better team. That is all we know for sure right now. Cant wait until december to see these teams play again. Should be fun.

Maybe the Seahawks will be the better team by the end of the season. But they have to execute on the field and have the mental strength to live up to their supposed superior talent. In addition, Pete Carroll and the Seahawk coaches have to out-scheme opposing coaches on a consistent basis. So far, he has not done that. Based on performance, I think you have to give the nod to Harbaugh as the superior coach RIGHT NOW based on the head-to-head record AND overall record.
    Carhanu21
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:32 pm
  • Carhanu21 wrote:Seahawks dominated the first half but were unable to capitalize due to unforced errors (dropped passes). Niners dominated the second half and were able to capitalize on their one big opportunity by scoring a touchdown (the only one in the game).

Lynch and the Seahawk O-line out-played the Niners D. Gore and the Niner O-line out-played the Seahawk D even more.

The Seahawk passing game sucked. The Niner passing game sucked less.

In summary, the Seahawks got outplayed. You can argue which team has the most talent or who will be better next year, but that is all meaningless speculation. One team (the Niners) executed on the field, beat the Pete Carroll Seahawks for the third time in a row, and is now in first place. Up to this point, the Niners have been the better team. That is all we know for sure right now. Cant wait until december to see these teams play again. Should be fun.

Maybe the Seahawks will be the better team by the end of the season. But they have to execute on the field and have the mental strength to live up to their supposed superior talent. In addition, Pete Carroll and the Seahawk coaches have to out-scheme opposing coaches on a consistent basis. So far, he has not done that. Based on performance, I think you have to give the nod to Harbaugh as the superior coach RIGHT NOW based on the head-to-head record AND overall record.

3 things.

1. We were on the road. For NFC west teams, the motto is "suck on the road, good at home". Even more so for us Hawks (we gotta travel so far! It's a curse)

2. We hung with you on the road. Props please?

3. I think both teams were pretty even in terms of domination. One difference though. San Francisco cashed in their domination and such with points. We did not, at all. That is maybe the signs of the more experienced team winning out, we can only hope that fixes with time.

All I can say for the Hawks is, maybe next game.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm
  • hawksfan515,

I respect what you said.

In response to point #1, the home/road element isnt gonna cut it in this argument becuase the Niners were able to beat the Seahawks last year IN Seattle. And that was late in the year when the Seahawks were playing well. Pete Carroll's squad has to prove that they can beat Harbaugh's squad in any setting, home or away.

In response to point #2, I will give you props for fighting hard and putting a stiff competition. The Seahawks D is one of the best in the NFL, no doubt. Possibly better than SF but too early to be sure. Lynch is one of the best RB's in the league. Definitely better than Gore right now. I'm not a believer in Russell Wilson right now. Sure, he is a rookie but his season stats so far appear pretty sub-par even for a rookie.

In response to point #3, yes it was pretty even overall. The main difference again was the mental errors and coaching, which are a big deal. The mental and coachig aspects are significant parts of what seperates contenders from pretenders. Personally, i actually like Carroll as a coach. He seems to be a good talent evaluator overall and does a good job of motivating his players. Just dont think he is quite in Harbaugh's class right now. Again, that doesnt mean things cant change. Players and coaches rise and fall all the time just like Roman Emperors.
    Carhanu21
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 pm
  • "-Candlestick park was very quiet for most of the game."

I was at the game (maybe you were too), but where I was sitting the fans were very loud most of the time when the Hawks were on offense. It's not as loud as the Clink, but for that crappy stadium (I hate that park) the fans were pretty classy in my area (south/west endzone) and they were pretty loud.
    NorCalSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:11 pm
  • On TV it was very quiet until the 4th quarter.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:26 pm
  • I was at the game. It felt like I was watching 2 pee wee teams. It was soo unexciting.
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information