Playoff Watch 2012 - Week 7 Edition

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Is it too early for this?

Hell no!

Here's your NFC Standings with the Detroit-Chicago game yet to be played.

1 Atlanta 6-0
2 Chicago 4-1
3 NY Giants 5-2
4 San Francisco 5-2
5 Minnesota 5-2
6 Green Bay 4-3
7 Arizona 4-3
8 Seattle 4-3
9 Philadelphia 3-3
10 Dallas 3-3
11 St. Louis 3-4
12 Washington 3-4
13 Detroit 2-3
14 New Orleans 2-4
15 Tampa Bay 2-4
16 Carolina 1-5

Green Bay wins tie break over Arizona based on best win percentage in conference games. Division tie break eliminates Seahawks (Arizona wins tie break over Seattle based on head-to-head win percentage).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.

Seattle is built to last the season and has already passed the toughest part of our schedule; all three remaining division games are at home. San Francisco is just coming up on the hard part of its schedule.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Huge game looming next week at Detroit with some potentially big playoff implications. If we lose and fall to 4-4, we're basically faced with the notion of going 6-2 to have a shot to even get in.. and that may not be enough.

5-3 with a pair of games we SHOULD win at home following that.. and I'm loving our chances.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I see Arizona going into free fall mode. Unfortunatly I see SF continuing to win.

Green Bay will end up passing Chicago so I think ultimatly the Wild cards are going to be 2 of Chicago, Minnesota, Seattle, Dallas and Philly.

With the schedule ahead of us I like our chances, but I still think we're a year away from winning the division.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ui2x5bx said:
I see Arizona going into free fall mode. Unfortunatly I see SF continuing to win.

I think ultimatly the Wild cards are going to be 2 of Chicago, Minnesota, Seattle, Dallas and Philly.

With the schedule ahead of us I like our chances, but I still think we're a year away from winning the division.
And another :13: though I think Dullass fades as usual.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I see the Vikings coming back to Earth soon as well.. their upcoming schedule after the Thursday game is pretty brutal. They come to CLink and still play the Bears and Packers four times.. they also go to St. Louis (who plays tough at home) and at Houston in a game that will likely have HFA implications for the Texans.

Makes next weeks Seahawks-Lions game that much more important. As a win over them makes it really hard for Detroit to climb back into the race (especially if Chicago wins tomorrow), and a win over Minnesota would give us a tiebreak over them.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I think it is extremely important we run the table going into the bye week. We beat detroit they are pretty much done. Minnesota we need the head to head tie breaker for the end of the season wild card standings. I do think Arizona is on the brink of falling apart but their defense will continue to keep them in games for the most part. I really do think we can win 7 of our last 9 games. Going to Miami is a game to not overlook but we have a lot of time to prepare for them. At Chicago i think is by far the hardest game we have remaining besides 49ers at home but i think we win that anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose to Detroit and Chicago and maybe Minnesota but win the rest. 10-6 in my opinion is easily obtainable. 12-4 i could see happening as well but we will definitely need to elevate our play for Detroit, SF, Minn, and Chi

niveky

Reaction score
looking at the 49'ers schedule I could see them losing anywhere between 2-4 more games. Bears Patriots for sure could go either way. I could see them possibly losing to miami and/or one of the st. louis games...i'm not saying I have full confidence that would happen, but it wouldn't surprise me...the NFL can be really crazy sometimes. that's part of what makes it so awesome.

I feel like The Hawks are probably in that range also..of about 2-4 games that will probably be lost. I don't know how to pick them with any confidence with the way the season has gone so far..my guesses for the four losses would be chicago(really tough d, if their O is clicking for the game could be big trouble), minnesota(kinda feel like they are pretenders but they have weapons and have beat th 9'ers), miami(even with new coach and rookie quarterback and what noone thought were really any weapons have been a gritty team this year.) and/or the second game at the 49'ers(I feel like the hawks will take it at home, but you never know).

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
I doubt that 49ers will lose 4 more games. Max is 3 losses in my opinion. Although anything can happen.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":2nj08n6w said:
I think it is extremely important we run the table going into the bye week. We beat detroit they are pretty much done. Minnesota we need the head to head tie breaker for the end of the season wild card standings. I do think Arizona is on the brink of falling apart but their defense will continue to keep them in games for the most part. I really do think we can win 7 of our last 9 games. Going to Miami is a game to not overlook but we have a lot of time to prepare for them. At Chicago i think is by far the hardest game we have remaining besides 49ers at home but i think we win that anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose to Detroit and Chicago and maybe Minnesota but win the rest. 10-6 in my opinion is easily obtainable. 12-4 i could see happening as well but we will definitely need to elevate our play for Detroit, SF, Minn, and Chi

I was looking at the rest of the schedule and I came up with the exact same scenario. I do not think anyone is going to beat us at home including SF. Chicago will be our most difficult game and I assume we will lose this because Chicago is better this year. However, wouldn't it be just great if we win on the road against Chicago for the third year in a row? That would be awesome. However, I believe that 12-4 is very possible for us. Great minds think alike... must be an Orr thing!!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I think our remaining schedule is much tougher than a lot of you realize...

We all know Detroit will be a tough game - for Megatron alone. We will need to score points, which isn't exactly our strength. Early east coast start.

Minnesota is finding a way to win games. The plus here is it's at C Link. AP is a beast right now, and we better have an answer for Harvin.

The Jets pushed the Patriots to OT in their house. I'm not overwhelmed by them, but they fight and claw.

Miami is not bad, and we always seem to struggle playing there. Long trip and early east coast start. They have the kind of defense that might frustrate us.

Chicago is playing really well on both sides of the ball, especially defense. We seem to bring our game when we visit Soldier Field, so that should be a good game. Hopefully the offense finds it's consitent footing before then.

At home against the Cards - I like the match-up since it's at C Link but it's always a tough/ugly game with them.

The Bills game is interesting - we get a couple of benefits as (1) it's indoors in Toronto and (2) it's a 4 pm start.

The last two at home against SF and STL will be good games as well...and until we beat the 49ers, we have to admit they have our number.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":k7pxs27j said:
I think our remaining schedule is much tougher than a lot of you realize...

We all know Detroit will be a tough game - for Megatron alone. We will need to score points, which isn't exactly our strength. Early east coast start.

Minnesota is finding a way to win games. The plus here is it's at C Link. AP is a beast right now, and we better have an answer for Harvin.

The Jets pushed the Patriots to OT in their house. I'm not overwhelmed by them, but they fight and claw.

Miami is not bad, and we always seem to struggle playing there. Long trip and early east coast start. They have the kind of defense that might frustrate us.

Chicago is playing really well on both sides of the ball, especially defense. We seem to bring our game when we visit Soldier Field, so that should be a good game. Hopefully the offense finds it's consitent footing before then.

At home against the Cards - I like the match-up since it's at C Link but it's always a tough/ugly game with them.

The Bills game is interesting - we get a couple of benefits as (1) it's indoors in Toronto and (2) it's a 4 pm start.

The last two at home against SF and STL will be good games as well...and until we beat the 49ers, we have to admit they have our number.

Agree with this, and people don't realize that the teams we have yet to play actually have a better winning percentage than the teams we have already played. All of the NFC North games will be very, very tough. The Vikings game looked like it might be the easiest of the year at one point, and now they look like one of the best teams in the NFC. The Bears game is probably the toughest remaining on the schedule. I think the the division is almost totally out of reach, but a wild card is still in play. It will require some really big wins in tough games though, and i am not too confident about it.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
That loss to St. Louis is looking worse and worse as the Rams take a tailspin. No, they weren't as good as they looked, they're just partially better than they were. We may well look back on that game and say that is the loss where starting a rookie cost us.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
chawx":244xfrw8 said:
http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

^ Here are some numbers about the playoff picture in the NFC. I usually start watching these about week 10-week 11, at that point they start getting a little more accurate then what they are now.
Here's another good link:
http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture
Yes...way too early. But this gives you a good look at positioning.

manders2600

Reaction score
One of the best predictors of how a team will do vis-a-vis the post-season is point differential, and here is a look.

1 Houston 88
2 Chicago 78
3 NY Giants 68
4 San Francisco 65
5 Atlanta 58
6 New England 54
7 Minnesota 36
8 Denver 32
9 Green Bay 29
10 Baltimore 13
11 Tampa Bay 12
12 San Diego 11
13 Seattle 10
14 Pittsburgh 8
15 Arizona 6
16 Miami 3
17 Washington 1
18 New Orleans -6
19 Detroit -11
20 St. Louis -11
21 NY Jets -11
22 Dallas -20
23 Cincinnati -21
24 Philadelphia -22
25 Cleveland -33
26 Carolina -38
27 Indianapolis -41
28 Buffalo -56
29 Oakland -58
30 Jacksonville -76
31 Kansas City -79
32 Tennessee -89

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1dik9pcj said:
SalishHawkFan":1dik9pcj said:
That loss to St. Louis is looking worse and worse as the Rams take a tailspin. No, they weren't as good as they looked, they're just partially better than they were. We may well look back on that game and say that is the loss where starting a rookie cost us.

Mother of balls....

Have a day off, will you?
You know what? You're right. Since my divorce I've obviously had way too much time to obsess on the Hawks. I'll give you Wilson supporters a break and let it go. He's our guy, it's too late now to start Flynn. Even if we did, it wouldn't impact the season. So I'll drop it.