More East coast scheduling bias

warden

Reaction score
A couple years ago the NFL changed things around when the 8 year scheduling cycle ended. They did not want east coast teams to have to travel all the way to the west coast twice in one season so they adjusted the schedule so east coast teams would never have to travel to both Seattle and San Fran or San Diego and Oakland in the same year. It was adjusted so they would have one long road trip combined with a shorter road trip to Denver Kansas city, St Louis.

But that doesn't seem to be enough

I noticed a common denominator in our five home games where we don't play our division rivals but we are playing teams from the East

Dallas 10 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Thursday game
Green Bay 11 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Thursday game
Minnesota 10 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Thursday game
New York Jets 14 days off to prepare for us, they are coming off a Bye

Looks like they screwed New England for the had us on a regular schedule

This sure seems like it is not a coincidence.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Only problem with your "East Coast bias" theory is that Dallas, Green Bay and Minnesota are all Central teams, none of them are on the East Coast or in the Eastern time zone.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Yeah not to mention our SoS this year is beyond difficult. Not to mention having the short week to travel to SF in what was a very important division game. I think if our team can over come this it really speaks to how good we really are and i think we have something special going for how very young we are and i see doing nothing but getting younger in next years draft. A legit #1 reciever, RoT, and Hill are the weak points of our team atm.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
From what I understand, there is one guy that does the whole schedule. (He's the guy that Harbaugh looked up during the owners meetings.) It is entirely possible that this guy doesn't have an east coast bias as much as he simply doesn't like the Seahawks.

LusciousJames

Reaction score
The entire rest of the NFC West has to come through here in December.

Schedule man is your friend.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
There is some serious WTF in our schedule and I can't shake the feeling that the NFL would never allow one of it's favored teams to have played it. I honestly think the schedule has been manipulated not to hurt the Seahawks but to prevent hurting some other teams and that it all seems to have fallen on us is really more to do with the attitude of it's just Seattle, hell we could probably steal a Super Bowl from them and no one would even care.

Oh well, it will inevitably only make us stronger and if we do overcome all these obstacles and prevail it would make for one hell of a story.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
jfurdell":4tjsu0tp said:

This.
The Cards and the Rams will be checked out by then, too.

HawkGA

Reaction score
SeatownJay":24lhvsfz said:
Only problem with your "East Coast bias" theory is that Dallas, Green Bay and Minnesota are all Central teams, none of them are on the East Coast or in the Eastern time zone.

When I went off to college in Wisconsin, there were people who thought I was going to the East Coast. Lake Michigan is pretty big, ya know!

Barthawk

Reaction score
One thing I don't like about the Thursday games is the fact that they have been division games for some, but not all.. CHI-GB, SEA-SF, STL-AZ, CLE-BAL.. precious Giants and Steelers get road games against conference foes.. make it equitable.. if some play division games, then it is possible to schedule all..

Personally, I like the Thursday games but would rather see those game be used to highlight NFC vs AFC.. the games mean something, but not as much as a division game on a short week.

A

Anonymous

I like that we got the AFC east this year for the interconference games. Since we took mcare of the Patriots, besides the Jets D, we should have no trouble with them, the Bills, or the Fins. Each one of those teams have a few glaring deficiencies.

And a Canada game, how cool is that?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Barthawk":89rut5xf said:
One thing I don't like about the Thursday games is the fact that they have been division games for some, but not all.. CHI-GB, SEA-SF, STL-AZ, CLE-BAL.. precious Giants and Steelers get road games against conference foes.. make it equitable.. if some play division games, then it is possible to schedule all..

Personally, I like the Thursday games but would rather see those game be used to highlight NFC vs AFC.. the games mean something, but not as much as a division game on a short week.

I think they should all be division games for 2 reasons. 1) less travel (typically). Regionally aligned divisions have the teams closer to each other. You could do an NFC West-AFC West match up (and with the other divisions too) but you could only do that every 4 years. 2) teams know each other better. It should take less prep time for division foes to learn each other and put up a good game.

But either way, I do agree there should be consistency.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The term "east coast bias" isn't correct. "Large and/or beloved market" is really the correct one, though far from succinct. If the Seahawks were to win 3 of the next 5 Super Bowls, we'd become one of those markets. Bandwagon fans, unite!....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":fi4ds3n9 said:
We really are a whiney fanbase.

Never underestimate the ability of NW fans to create biases, even when none exist.

Could it be that the teams the thread creator listed are all popular teams that have played on Thursday or Monday night in the beginning part of the season?

Detroit's going to play a short week after being on tonight, OMG west coast bias!

mikeak

Reaction score
Baltimore Ravens played four games in 18 days so they are wondering why they are not benefiting from the East Coast bias :)

Read the Simmons article that slams Goodell for Thursday Night games and I couldn't agree more.

Reaction score
jfurdell":329y5yk5 said:

I noticed that too. I'm thinking one or two of those games are going to be VERY relevant. It's pretty sweet to play them at home.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1tg8iwm2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1tg8iwm2 said:
Detroit's going to play a short week after being on tonight, OMG west coast bias!

Like Roland said, it's more a "large and/or beloved market" thing. Those teams just happen to be congregated largely on the east coast. All the teams are.

Are you sure it's not nefariously cloaked NFL east coast biased schedule puppet masters stationed off the coast of New York on an unmarked island made of solid gold bullion bars lighting their big cigars with $100 bills laughing maniacally at the expense of our poor Seahawks?

Latest posts