To all you Bevell Boasters,,,,,,,,,,,

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
To all you Bevell Boasters,,,,,,,,,,,
Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 pm
  • get a grip.

I love it when you say "he should've"/shouldn't have.

You all think you're such experts cause you have all night and the rest of the week to scream to the heavens how you could be the teams savior.

Its real easy isn't it? sitting there behind your keyboard, drinking a beer, convinced you're the worlds most knowledgable offensive play caller. bull.

I'd love to have all of you on the sidelines having to make decisions with the information you have right that second and have to make a decision right that second. So you would always make the correct call right? You would always have given the players the exact right instructions right? Yeah BS.

I used to drive an 8.90 second door car drag race car (this was in the 90s when that was damned quick) and now and then my partner would say to me,"well you might've done so and so". Well I put him in the car made him run the next round, let him make the decision right frickin there going 140 mph. He made the wrong decision and when he came back he promised me he would never second guess me again because he was a big enough man to admit it wasn't so easy when you had to do it RIGHT THEN!

Now before you get all wound up. Do I like all the calls? Hell no. But understand I don't have all the information. I was puzzled at running the ball 3 straight times, not making a first but getting one on a penalty and then running it 3 straight times again and not making it. Did I think they should have thrown a pass in there somewhere? yep, but understand they had different information than I did so I really can't complain honestly. and I refuse to just say, "what a crummy call, I could do better" when I'm not really sure that's right.

I'll bet even Kip would make the wrong call now and then.lol In all my years of being around here and the thousands of members we've seen come and go only 1 could probably be an offensive coordinatoor, Waterboy.

Ok, rant over

:les:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• PREACH!!!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zeb, is your avi a dead panther?
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Good post bro!
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

• Mistashoesta wrote:Zeb, is your avi a dead panther?

That's the mightly lion being pierced by the sword of Conan the Barbarian.

:D
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Let me get behind the wheel of this offense and see what I can do. Only then will I admit that I am wrong.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:Let me get behind the wheel of this offense and see what I can do. Only then will I admit that I am wrong.

No coach Harbaugh not even then will you admit not knowing it all.

:th2thumbs:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• That was a great post Rad, but I'm sorry... I just dont see the offense improving under bevell's play calling. Not this year. The only way I can see us turn things up a notch is if we had a veteran QB who calls the right audibles...we got a rookie who wants to keep his job so he is probably hesitant to go against the plays called.... I understand where you are coming from and I hope it improves, but I just dont feel enthusiastic about his time management and play calling skills. it's going to cost us a game. watch.
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• I'll never get behind that wheel, Les, so you'll never be able to prove it :mrgreen: Getting cold east of those mountains yet?
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Mistashoesta wrote:Zeb, is your avi a dead panther?

No, it's a friendly dolphin.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• What I see is a bunch of rehash of the same crap that doesn't work, and a quick end to the plays that do work. Bevell is bad at his job.

Or are we no longer allowed to have an opinion here anymore?
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• blue 22 wrote:That was a great post Rad, but I'm sorry... I just dont see the offense improving under bevell's play calling. Not this year. The only way I can see us turn things up a notch is if we had a veteran QB who calls the right audibles...we got a rookie who wants to keep his job so he is probably hesitant to go against the plays called.... I understand where you are coming from and I hope it improves, but I just dont feel enthusiastic about his time management and play calling skills. it's going to cost us a game. watch.

I say HORSEPUCKEY! Take PC and his limits off, turn Bevel loose to use his entire playbook and see what happens. Can't hardly be more frustrating than what we see now.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

• Big difference in thinking that as a fan you could do better and wanting the team to find a coach that can do better. Most coaches at these stages have been in the game a very long time and get paid a lot of money to get the job done.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

• I'm happy the OC is not Jeremy Bates. That guy was the worst ever. Bevell may have his issues (redzone offense) but he's an upgrade over Bates.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Bevell called an absolutely brilliant first half last night, the lack of points was not his fault.

I think a lot of people ripping him have never coached or called plays in their life. I don't agree with every call but I see the logic in most of his calls. I think execution is the problem at this point.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• People have been ripping Bevell for weeks for not using slant routes, only for Seattle to resoundingly announce Thursday that they're incapable of executing them anyway. So yeah, there are plenty of problems with Bevell.

That said, sometimes fans are smarter than coaches or OC's. I've got quite a few qualms about what Bevell is doing. The "fan humility" that you preach, Les, doesn't take away those questions, but it does reduce the bile with which I ask them.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Its just the nature of the NFL. Coordinators are always the first to take blame. Fans have so much passion for their teams that if a coach isn't getting done they want someone in there who can. Bevells play calling has been suspect nothing wrong for people to want better.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:People have been ripping Bevell for weeks for not using slant routes, only for Seattle to resoundingly announce Thursday that they're incapable of executing them anyway. So yeah, there are plenty of problems with Bevell.

That said, sometimes fans are smarter than coaches or OC's. I've got quite a few qualms about what Bevell is doing. The "fan humility" that you preach, Les, doesn't take away those questions, but it does reduce the bile with which I ask them.

Sadly have to agree here Les. You are one of the few people I frequently agree with on these boards, but Bevell's playcalling is head scratching more often than not. I realize PC is partly to blame for not wanting him to open it up for RW over the first six weeks of the season, but it seems to me that after his first beautiful pre-scripted drive, he gets out coached by the other teams D coordinator. We never run plays to beat the blitz or to beat the deep safe zones, more or less continue with the desire to be a run first team that goes to obvious shotgun when passing. Even after this game, I think our offense is better than the 49ers outside of the O-line, but more than once we got beat on with a screen on a blitzing situation. I don't think we have run one successful screen when we needed it.

I think the main thing for me is we have potential to be a Saints type offense with better running, but the scheming just doesn't make sense. Outside of Colston, they don't have any superstar wide receivers, but the routes they all run can free up the third option in every passing play. Lance Moore and Devery Henderson put up huge games every few weeks and I think that is more to do with game planning and route choice than talent. Obviously I know RW isn't Drew Bress yet and may never be, but 'personnel' wise we are very similar. We want to run an offense that features deep passing, which is what the Saints excell at. And if that is just purely due to not having the desire to run that style of offense, then fine I'll bite my tongue, but a lot of the routes I see on TV that we run aren't very good.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• I think Bevell called a good game last night for the most part.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I think Bevell called a good game last night for the most part.

TRADE FOR REX GROSSMAN
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I think Bevell called a good game last night for the most part.

TRADE FOR REX GROSSMAN

BRING BACK TJ!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I think Bevell called a good game last night for the most part.

TRADE FOR REX GROSSMAN

BRING BACK TJ!

Just spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any. Always loved the TJ!TJ!TJ! stuff, constantly laughed out loud.

Back to the point though, Bevell has potential. Some of his plays are beautiful. The first half he was awesome even though I haven't liked the majority of his playcalling. The deep pass to Rice against the Pats was amazing. Same formation, took time to get to the line, and then hit them with a playaction double move. It just isn't consistently unexpected. An easy out is to say the 49ers have a great defense, which they do, but we honestly dominated them in the first half. That is what goes back to my initial point though, I think Bevell gets dominated by the other teams D coordinator when it isn't scripted. The fact we were only up 6-3 was pathetic. That had more to do with inexcusable mistakes than Bevell at that point, but we didn't make adjustments. There is NO excuse to call only 5 passing plays before the 2 minute warning in a half. It doesn't matter if we have Barry Sanders running behind Walt and Hutch again, teams will just stack the box and have more defenders than blockers. Les, you even said we ran 6 straight rushing plays after getting gifted a first down on special teams, that just isn't NFL caliber playcalling. This all goes back to me having more head scratching than cheering on offense.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Mr Radish, would you mind just reposting your rant at the start of every game? It's a point that requires reinforcing...

I do find it quite funny though, that a handful of athletically & technically gifted individuals dedicate their professional lives, health and futures to honing their craft to within millimetres of perfection, spend all their waking hours in memorising plays, practicing endless scenarios & pushing themselves to the edge of the mental precipice.... And then the rest of us rock up twenty minutes before kickoff, drink a barrel of beer and then tell them how they're doing it wrong :)
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• seahawk2k wrote:Bevell called an absolutely brilliant first half last night, the lack of points was not his fault.

I think a lot of people ripping him have never coached or called plays in their life. I don't agree with every call but I see the logic in most of his calls. I think execution is the problem at this point.

I agree 100%
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• I have been a Bevell hater as far as play calling. I thought he has done better though the last few games. Not great still some puzzling things. But better. Since he is getting better i will wait to reserve judgement till the play book opens up a bit more. Only criticism i have of him right now is his WR screens are really starting to piss me off and his redzone play calling is just atrocious at times. You don't run WR screens against teams that play up in your face like the 49ers. I like the aggressiveness of the down field shots though. I think you need to take a few of those shots each game anyways. Our boys are getting better and i think the OL needs to help RW and Bevell out a little more with the pass pro. Only other thing i don't like as far as what i see is when the WRs don't get open they seem to just quit and stop or jog around a lot of times. That is one of the things i love about Tate. He doesn't stop trying to get open if he isn't open initially although he needs to stop the chest catching. All in all they are getting better. We played a top 3 defense in the NFL and had some success that is positive enough for me.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• Play-calling is notoriously hard to truly criticize for two major reasons.

First, there is so much hindsight bias involved. Fans will only ever say that they would have picked a different play than the one that didn't work. No one says oh man that deep ball worked, but we should have ran. And of course, no one gets to suggest alternate playcalling and see what the result is. Also, maybe you would have picked the same play given the information at hand.

Second, without knowing the nuances of an failed offensive play, it is difficult to know if it was lack of execution or just a good defensive play that stopped it. Remember, the OC doesn't know what the defense will pick and it is the QB's job to audible. As we have a young QB, new to the system, I don't expect many audibles. Also, in my experience, it is a lack of execution or just getting beat man to man that kills many offensive plays rather than bad scheme.

I think we will see how the offense changes as the season progresses. I have already seen progress in the playcalling since the first game and Thursday was more about bad execution and a good defense playing at home than play calling.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Bevell is a decent OC but is anybody here willing to say he has the capability of being a very good to superior OC? Most important question is not whether we can do better than Bevell but whether Bevell's playcalling and work with the offense gives us an edge in the winning department. We tend to blame PC for holding back the passing offense but the head coach PC is always willing to take the blame. Not hating on Bevell just lighting a fire to get this OC thinking which seems to be working.

The theme this year is about COMPETITION and nobody is immune to scrutiny--not Wilson, not Flynn and definitely not Bevell. That's how we get better.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• By the way OP you spelled Bevell wrong. You demand respect for the guy you may as well get his name right.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• Russ Willstrong wrote:By the way OP you spelled Bevell wrong. You demand respect for the guy you may as well get his name right.

opps, thanks

& btw I wasn't demanding respect for him, hell I hate some of his calls too.

Making the point we don't know near as much as the coaches/staff, some just think they do.

just sayin
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:Zeb, is your avi a dead panther?

Isn't that He-Man's sword? By the power of Grayskull!
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Re: To all you Bevell Boasters,,,,,,,,,,,
Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 am
  • I wasn't a fan of the Bevell hiring, but I'm giving him a mulligan for this season and the last. I view his situation like Gus Bradley's the past couple years, in that it's hard to look smart if you don't have any pieces to work with (ie. Tarvaris Jackson and a rookie Russell Wilson).
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Re: To all you Bevall Boasters,,,,,,,,,,,
Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am
  • BASF wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:Zeb, is your avi a dead panther?

Isn't that He-Man's sword? By the power of Grayskull!

Yes! Thank you for noticing. I'm running out of creative ways to kill other teams avatars that aren't ambiguously racist or otherwise borderline offensive. That Viking's gonna get it though.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:57 am
  • Was it Bevell's fault our people can't catch the damn ball? How is that Bevell's fault? He called some perfectly designed plays and we dropped the ball(s).

We didn't lose that game on play calling, we lost it on execution!.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:10 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:Was it Bevell's fault our people can't catch the damn ball? How is that Bevell's fault? He called some perfectly designed plays and we dropped the ball(s).

Do you really believe that fans that don't think Bevell is good enough are basing their opinions on this one single game? Pretty obvious that it's not Bevell's fault that the WR's dropped those passes or any dropped passes in his entire tenure here.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

• Shane Falco wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:Was it Bevell's fault our people can't catch the damn ball? How is that Bevell's fault? He called some perfectly designed plays and we dropped the ball(s).

Do you really believe that fans that don't think Bevell is good enough are basing their opinions on this one single game? Pretty obvious that it's not Bevell's fault that the WR's dropped those passes or any dropped passes in his entire tenure here.

I'm sure this game has more than a little to do with it.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I'm not sure whom you are referring to in that statement, but if anyone who has never been employed as an NFL OC seriously thinks this, they need to get a grip.

There are a few message board OC's in here that really need to take a few steps back to either regain or acquire some perspective.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information