The not so obvious effects of fatigue.....

sutz

Reaction score
We tend to focus on the physical effects of fatigue......muscles ache, joint pain and stiffness, drop in stamina. It's familiar to most of us who have maybe spent a summer afternoon putting new siding or a roof on our house, or doing whatever chore we encounter in life. But there are other, more subtle effects of fatigue. And they are often more problematic than the physical deterioration.

The biggest thing is loss of mental acuity in all its facets, including lapses in memory and judgement, inability to process situations and data, and just all around deterioration in the thought processes and concentration. Throw all of these on to an athlete, and yes, receivers forget how to catch, defensive linemen and linebackers can't remember the right way to counter a trap play, blockers go into "which way did he go" mode, etc. We've all probably heard the expression "stupid tired." We witnessed that Thursday night.

In our season prediction thread (now archived) I penciled this one in as a loss, reluctantly. I just couldn't see how they could pull it off. Traveling on a short week is always a problem; Monday night teams have a noticeable drop in win percentage when they travel the next weekend. It's been that way for years. That situation still allows five days between games. We had four, one lost to travel.

I suppose it sounds like a lot of excuses, but it's true. It was a disappointing loss, to be sure. But I know the whys behind it and I can live with it. They will bounce back, I'm sure.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Totally agree...I heard on the radio today that on an average sunday, the visiting team wins about 43% of the games.....the stat for Thursday night games is only 36%. It doesn't seem alot, but with all else being equal, a 16% drop in wins is fairly substantial.

I have had this down mentally as a loss since I first saw the schedule...of course that didn't stop me from knowing that we COULD win, I just am not surprised that we didn't.

All we can do now is hope that the extra few days rest will bring them ready and raring to go for Detroit

Largent80

Reaction score
I love the way my team played so hard.

We are in good shape, and this goes beyond this year.

seedhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":u5e5s8hy said:
Totally agree...I heard on the radio today that on an average sunday, the visiting team wins about 43% of the games.....the stat for Thursday night games is only 36%. It doesn't seem alot, but with all else being equal, a 16% drop in wins is fairly substantial.

I have had this down mentally as a loss since I first saw the schedule...of course that didn't stop me from knowing that we COULD win, I just am not surprised that we didn't.

All we can do now is hope that the extra few days rest will bring them ready and raring to go for Detroit

Did you perhaps get the %'s mixed? Away teams have now won 1 of 6, or perhaps now 1 of 7. 1-6 equals a 16% win % and a 36% drop. Any way you slice it, for any away team, Thursday nite football is basically DOOM.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
seedhawk":3tdfqqk7 said:
kidhawk":3tdfqqk7 said:

Did you perhaps get the %'s mixed? Away teams have now won 1 of 6, or perhaps now 1 of 7. 1-6 equals a 16% win % and a 36% drop. Any way you slice it, for any away team, Thursday nite football is basically DOOM.
Yeah, you have to question the wisdom of having Thursday games all season. You'd think the owners would be up in arms in that kind of disparity of winning percentage. A change should be made.

themunn

Reaction score
seedhawk":1gt064xc said:
kidhawk":1gt064xc said:

I think it's a historical fact rather than just for this season?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I commented on this in game day chat, but felt I'd inject my opinion here as well. There were obvious signs of fatigue for both squads. The game looked like it was in slow motion until after halftime when the pace started to pick up a bit. I was just happy to have come away from that game without serious injury to any of our players. It would have been nice to win, but I'll take what I can get.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but I think it relates here also.

Particularly about them outlasting the Seahawks:

The 49ers are in the midst of a home stand of rare proportions. They traveled back from what turned out to be a cupcake NY Jets game on September 30th. During the next 55 days they will have traveled exactly one time, a short trip to Arizona, which is followed with their bye week. They also have their first three division games during this period. Since I've never actually played a 16 game NFL schedule I can only speculate that the 49ers would have a distinct edge over other teams in terms of being well rested and on a consistent schedule. Particularly against a team that is in the midst of playing 4 out of 5 on the road.

I bring this up because I thought the Seahawks looked tired in the second half. After rethinking it though, the Seahawks probably just looked like any NFL team would look during a heavy traveling portion of their schedule and the 49ers looked like a team that will not have any real travel for the middle two months of the season. This was set up for a 49er victory long before the season started.

It's a long season and I believe the Seahawks will prove to be the best team in our division.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Think after that game traveling teams are 2-15 on TNF. I saw the 2-14 somewhere before ill try to find it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really hate Thursday games. Every Thursday game has been sloppy too .. they should stick to Sunday/Monday with an exception to Thanksgiving.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I thought both teams were lackluster and not their true selves. It was kind of weird, on one hand it was still a physical game but it was more like a couple of heavyweights in the 12th round of a title fight.

muxpux

Reaction score
this last pay period i had 134 hours 42 overtime. 13 hour days, with 2 off. i still havent had 2 days off in a row in about 3 weeks. i know fatigue. and i notice it.