why isn't this being talked about.. chop block? first down?

redhawk253

Reaction score
hey guys.. i was pretty drunk last night and after the initial call i didn't watch the replays.. but what i do remember is where the line ref marked the ball and came running out from the sideline it should have been a first down.. to me it looked like it was a first down on replay as well.. now i know that doesn't mean much since they called a chopblock and we were pretty much screwed either way...

but was that even a chop block? looked to me like he hit him on the hip? at the same time.. i didn't think it was even necessary.. tell me it wasn't giocamini cuz some reason thats what im remembering..

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
It was a blown call...but it was really a blown game by the WRs.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
oh i agree there t sizzle.. just wondering if we should have gotten to see a more exciting finish than harbaugh wanting some facetime...

ensett

Reaction score
As many times as I saw it replayed, I don't believe it was a first down.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
It was McQuistan coming over to help Breno. Looked like a chop block to me. Far as the 1st down, it was close, but probably too close to be overturned. Whole situation was weird. Wouldn't expect anything else this season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Walter Jones tweeted that the block was legal, so I'll go with what he said. ;-)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2ukcf0jz said:
It was McQuistan coming over to help Breno. Looked like a chop block to me. Far as the 1st down, it was close, but probably too close to be overturned. Whole situation was weird. Wouldn't expect anything else this season.

I posted this earlier in another thread, but according to Sando, Mike Pierra, the ex-official who is pretty much the "go-to" guy for officiating questions, the chop block is when the secondary blocker comes in at the thigh level or lower, McQuistans looked to be just below the waist at the hip area, just above the thigh. He said it was a bad call.

I do agree though that it wasn't a first down. Obo was just short of the line when he got hit. Had he stretched out, we'd have had the first down, THEN we could cry about getting screwed by the phantom chop block :)

seedhawk

Reaction score
Anywhere else on the field, the block would be legal. Only reason they called it a chop block, for lack of a better definition is, McQuistan was NOT engaged until in the end zone. Just another arcane rule. Also, because it was in the end zone, if taken it is a safety instead of half the distance, replay the down.

razor150

Reaction score
Even the announcers last night said it was a bad call. Obo couldn't stretch for the first down because his tackler had him by his right arm, and then 2 other tacklers came in and finished him off. He looked close, but short. He should have been comfortable beyond the first down marker though. As the announcers were saying during the atrocious series at the end of the first half, he needs situational awareness. On 4th down you need to be at a spot to get the 1st down without having to fight for it. He was short and the 49er's made a great play to stop him.

manders2600

Reaction score
McQuistan contacted Smith with his shoulder pads at the waist, but his hands pushed on Smith's thigh and he extended his arms to push Smith to the ground. This is a chop block.

drdiags

Reaction score
Obo had a chance to stretch initially, once he realized he was short it was too late as the defender did a great job of restricting his arms. My thinking was that Obo was afraid of having the ball stripped and had pulled it into his body prior to making the move to extend.

The chop block was a bad call but the guy on the field thought he saw the hit below the thigh. McQuistan had time to give Smith a shot higher, he was dead to rights. Just part of the game. Refs screw up just like players and coaches.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
manders2600":16d6y3s7 said:
McQuistan contacted Smith with his shoulder pads at the waist, but his hands pushed on Smith's thigh and he extended his arms to push Smith to the ground. This is a chop block.
I'm going with Big Walt's interpretation over yours on this one. Sorry.

manders2600

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":20yk7g9b said:
manders2600":20yk7g9b said:

You're more than welcome to go with anyone's interpretation, but I would recommend actually watching the play instead of listening to what someone else says.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 3

Article 3: Chop Block. A Chop Block is a block by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for
purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) engages that same defensive player above the waist.

The Radish

Reaction score
In my opinion the biggest question is why did Obo not go beyond the 1st down marker?

:141847_bnono:

ensett

Reaction score
He didn't go beyond the 1st down marker because of Bevel! :thirishdrinkers:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
manders2600":318m6lzi said:
onanygivensunday":318m6lzi said:
manders2600":318m6lzi said:

You're more than welcome to go with anyone's interpretation, but I would recommend actually watching the play instead of listening to what someone else says.

Article 3: Chop Block. A Chop Block is a block by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for
purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) engages that same defensive player above the waist.

Initial contact was above the waist, it doesn't matter where his hands went.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
manders2600":1ogmor68 said:
incorrect!

manders2600

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":40c8u3os said:
manders2600":40c8u3os said:
onanygivensunday":40c8u3os said:

Initial contact was above the waist, it doesn't matter where his hands went.

Is there a rule saying that a block only counts where initial contact is made? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

The Radish

Reaction score
ensett":tdqf2otm said:
He didn't go beyond the 1st down marker because of Bevel! :thirishdrinkers:

Why would you say such an outragous thing? No one tells them exactly where to stop/start. You're being way to simplistic.

"Possession" receivers are always sure to get to the first down marker before turning for the ball. Obo, does not/did not do that. Why catch the frickin ball 2 yards short of a first down when you have defenders all around you?

I weep for 2 things. For those of you that want to but blame on one particular player or coach.

2. For the coaching staff keeping obo and letting Brandon Stokely go.

Meeker

Reaction score
I thought the ball passed the first down marker and the penalty was obviously bad....but I don't think we would have gotten down the field anyways...so it doesn't really bother me.