Should We Just Turn Loose

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Should We Just Turn Loose
Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 am
  • We have 10 days to rest up and work on things. Detroit has a pretty fair O, and a suspect D. Should we invest this game, and just turn Bevel and the O loose and see what happens? I believe our D will turn Detroit one dimensional. Is it time to take the training wheels off and roll?
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Should We Just Turn Loose
Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 am
  • Someone starts a similar thread every week haha
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:20 am
  • I have a feeling Bevel has turned it loose.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:25 am
  • I almost think we are turning it "too" loose. We need to be able to use the short and intermediate passing game MUCH better to be successful. We can throw deep and we can run. The next step in this progression is the quick read and timing of the short/intermediate routes. Oh yea and actually catching them would help
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:26 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:I have a feeling Bevel has turned it lose.

I believe that you had a typo. There, I corrected it.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am
  • onanygivensunday wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:I have a feeling Bevel has turned it lose.

I believe that you had a typo. There, I corrected it.

This doesn't really work from a gag perspective.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:30 am
  • Guess I didn't explain myself well enough. What I meant was, should we not worry so much about ball security and trust our D to overcome mistakes that will certainly happen. Seems to me our O is hampered/dampened by our reduce risk/play safe/grind it out/ play for field position first mentality.

If indeed our D is good enough, trust them, but you also have to trust your O and it's players to step up and MAKE a play instead of worrying about making a mistake.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:31 am
  • I hope both sides turn it loose, I want Detroit to SUFFER!

I want Nate Burleson and Megatron afraid to catch that ball for fear of Chancellor or Browner/Sherman rocking them, I want Stafford thinking twice when throwing the ball into the secondary. I want Wilson, Rice, and whoever wants to catch the ball that day to make Detroit sorry for putting such a sorry secondary out there, and I want Lynch to show Suh and the boys just what in the hell beast mode is all about.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 am
  • kidhawk wrote:I almost think we are turning it "too" loose. We need to be able to use the short and intermediate passing game MUCH better to be successful. We can throw deep and we can run. The next step in this progression is the quick read and timing of the short/intermediate routes. Oh yea and actually catching them would help

I agree here. The thing that is missing from our passing game is the short to intermediate stuff. SF made a living last night taking the dump offs and check downs.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:35 am
  • seedhawk wrote:
    If indeed our D is good enough, trust them, but you also have to trust your O and it's players to step up and MAKE a play instead of worrying about making a mistake.

I think its more about making PLAYS and moving the chains, solid, consistent and unstoppable 8-12 play drives it what our defense needs to keep from running out of gas.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:36 am
  • SeahawksFanForever wrote:Someone starts a similar thread every week haha

Well, I did specifically reference this thread to the Detroit game. Leaving out the Panthers, whose D scares NO ONE, we have played an entire string of D's that for one reason or another just make us look shabby.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 am
  • seedhawk wrote:We have 10 days to rest up and work on things. Detroit has a pretty fair O, and a suspect D. Should we invest this game, and just turn Bevel and the O loose and see what happens? I believe our D will turn Detroit one dimensional. Is it time to take the training wheels off and roll?

We need to let both 86 both out coords. 2 of the worst in the league IMHO. There isn't a full set of man marbles between the both of them. Everyone knew they were going to go to Gore a lot, and they did, and with all of the weapons we have on defense we couldn't stop it???????? Alex Smith should have been on his keister everytime he attempted to throw the ball.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 pm
  • Burleson scares me more than Megatron does for this game after witnessing how well slot receivers and check downs burn our defense. The Lions do have a really good check down RB in Leshore.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 pm
  • seedhawk wrote:
    SeahawksFanForever wrote:Someone starts a similar thread every week haha

Well, I did specifically reference this thread to the Detroit game. Leaving out the Panthers, whose D scares NO ONE, we have played an entire string of D's that for one reason or another just make us look shabby.

It's cool bro! I approve this thread :)
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:11 pm
  • What scares me the most is its a road game at 10 AM
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 pm
  • If they haven't turned the playbook completely open for RW they need to so he can learn faster.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:59 pm
  • I think they should work on the short passing game. All those high percentage passes that works so well in a WCO style offense. There are two very compelling reasons to do so as soon as possible: We aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if we have no short passing game. Two: We don't know if Wilson CAN make short passes or if the reason he doesn't is due to his height. Even though he's played good enough that we're probably going to make the playoffs, he really hasn't proven that his height isn't an issue. This inability to dink and dunk is worrisome.

I think a lot of calls for Flynn would subside if Wilson started using dink and dunks and intermediate passes to move the chains and mixed those up with his usual deep passes. That's how our offense is going to get on a roll.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:23 pm
  • The short and intermediate pass's are critical to success in a WCO. Without them you are not running it and therefore going away from Bevell's experience.

Another thing we need to dramatically improve is pocket presence and a three step drop. Managing the pocket will do wonders for the O-line if they know the QB is doing that. So far Wilson has drug the O-line all over the back field trying to block for him and it results in more holding calls and protection break down. When we talk about the O-line gelling, to me this is what you are referring to. Learning how to work together and that requires the QB to do his part in not breaking any cohesion they are starting to build. I believe it is severely slowing the learning curve of the O-line. If we are going to be successful in the playoffs we need our O-line playing their best and they will not get there until they know the QB is not running out of the pocket and into defenders. The three step drop is a timing pass and is designed again to make the O-line look better. Partly due to only having to block for three or less seconds but also because defenses will back off when they realize they can't get to the QB and are over committing and letting plays develop behind them. Another benefit of the three step drop is YAC. Right now defenses are stacking the box and forcing Wilson to beat them. They are sending blitzes and clogging the middle to reduce the potential throwing lanes. If we can't take advantage of the middle of the field and get the ball out quickly, they will continue doing the same.

I like much of what I am seeing from Wilson but he has some huge hurdles yet to overcome before we can really get a feel for whether he can be a game changer at this level instead of just a game manager.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information