Niners fan here: things i noticed last night

Carhanu21

Reaction score
1. Alex Smith is, always has been, and always will be garbage.

2. Russell Wilson is garbage right now. Not sure what he will become in the future. He has alot of good qualities. However, his short height looks like it might be a problem. He may have problems with seeing the field and finding open receivers, especially the short routes. He seems to be good at the long passes because its easier to see down the field with longer routes.

3. Seahawks and Niners are competing for the title of Worst Wide Receiver Corps in the NFL. Before last night, i thought Niners had a stranglehold on that title going back several years. Looks like the Seahawks are trying to overtake them this year.

4. Gore is a solid back but the real credit goes to the Niners offensive line. Those guys monsters in the run game. Especially Staley, Iupati, and Davs.

5. Really impressed with the Seahawks secondary. Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas are probly the best secondary group in the league. They completely shut down the Niners receivers and tight ends.

6. I am very impressed with Marshawn Lynch. That guy is probly the scariest RB in the league right now. He's probly the only guy that is capable of being productive regardless of how well the O-Line plays. Most RB's are dependent on their O-Line to open holes.

7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have.

8. I dont think either of these teams will go very far in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. The offenses are just way too flawed.

endzorn

Reaction score
Iupati is one of the most physically impressive offensive linemen I've ever seen. Our defensive line is solid and Iupati had his way all game long.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Carhanu21":1h1w5tiy said:

2. Russell Wilson is garbage right now. Not sure what he will become in the future. He has alot of good qualities. However, his short height looks like it might be a problem. He may have problems with seeing the field and finding open receivers, especially the short routes. He seems to be good at the long passes because its easier to see down the field with longer routes.

3. Seahawks and Niners are competing for the title of Worst Wide Receiver Corps in the NFL. Before last night, i thought Niners had a stranglehold on that title going back several years. Looks like the Seahawks are trying to overtake them this year.

4. Gore is a solid back but the real credit goes to the Niners offensive line. Those guys monsters in the run game. Especially Staley, Iupati, and Davs.

5. Really impressed with the Seahawks secondary. Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas are probly the best secondary group in the league. They completely shut down the Niners receivers and tight ends.

6. I am very impressed with Marshawn Lynch. That guy is probly the scariest RB in the league right now. He's probly the only guy that is capable of being productive regardless of how well the O-Line plays. Most RB's are dependent on their O-Line to open holes.

2. Wilson is not garbage. He's a rookie who's gonna make rookie mistakes. Height not a problem if you ask me. He was successful in college with just as big if not bigger oline. If he still plays like this after 4 or 5 seasons then we could call him garbage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Carhanu21":cepp2rfr said:
7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have..

I think what SF did was a result of;

1. Having REALLY good O-Lineman like Iapati and Staley
2. The Hawks D-Line and LB's not having good gap coverage on those big plays up the middle, i.e. out of gap position.

#2 is fixable after film study.......and #1 99% of the league doesn't possess the lineman to downhill block like SF does.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
1. I don't know about garbage. Is he elite? No, but maybe average? But an average QB, with that D and running game can be dangerous.
2. He actually looked sharp to me last night, the problem was the rest of the team got a case of the dropsies. Not sure what that was about. A little more time in the pocket would help, our right tackle getting embarrassed didn't help either. But Wilson wasn't the issue.
3. I don't know, there is some talent there, not sure what the issue was last night. That's the worst I've seen them play this season.
4. That o-line is impressive. Haven't seen anyone run on the Hawks D like that in the last 2 years.
5. Legion of Boom!!
6. I wish we could get our passing going to help they guy.
7. Maybe, but I honestly don't think 99% of the teams in this league can take advantage of that weakness. Plus Wagner will get better. He had a rough game. Our D isn't only built for speed, our D line is huge and built to stop the run, Branch, Mebane and Red. That's 959 pounds of run defense.
8. Our's is flawed for the moment, but we have a rookie QB, he is improving. And will continue to improve, I'm still in the camp that Wilson is something special.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Carhanu21":1hz9ngo7 said:

7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have.

8. I dont think either of these teams will go very far in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. The offenses are just way too flawed.

I had hope for this post until I read "Russell Wilson is garbage".

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
All-in-all, not a bad assessment from a 49ers fan but to call Wilson garbage was just plain silly. Had his receivers been there for him last night that would have been the last word you would be using to describe Wilson. He's a rookie, and he will continue to make rookie mistakes but he has something very special to him which won't be fully realized - even by many Seahawks fans - probably for another few years but the kid has "IT".

OP
OP
C

Carhanu21

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":34avr27i said:
Carhanu21":34avr27i said:

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

Thanks for the detailed feedback with supporting evidence. I did give credit to Wilson for being pretty good at the deep pass. He threw a couple nice deep passes that were dropped by the receivers.

Maybe "garbage" is an overstatement. Sorry if I upset you. You must be his Russell Wilson's brother or something....

TaterHawk

Reaction score
Agreed nearly 100%...You have the best run blocking O line out there. I'd not get down on 9er receivers with these DB's on them and ole' cross-eyed Smith throwing the ball. Now we know Chancellor and Thomas can line up on scrimmage next game :)

I'm also concerned RW may not see the short routes, but are other QB's looking over the 6'5" - 6'8" line? I tend to think it's more about experience and proper pre snap read. He put the ball in our receivers ear hole more than once, and they gave up on him more than once. This kid is going to be scary good...We are working on the new Nike 3" lift shoes!

That was a GREAT game!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ikcbsof said:
FlyingGreg":3ikcbsof said:

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

#23 rated QB in the league with a 79.5 passer rating.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... backRating

Not Matt Cassell garbage, but close. But I know, I know, he's a rookie..........just like the #3 rated QB.

Flawed logic is what I see in this post. So you're comparing a rookie that was #2 pick in the draft to one who was a 3rd rounder? You expect the 3rd rounder to be in the top 5 and because he isn't, you consider him close to garbage? Wow.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14gdk7a8 said:
FlyingGreg":14gdk7a8 said:

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

Not Matt Cassell garbage, but close. But I know, I know, he's a rookie..........just like the #3 rated QB.

How many top 10 defenses has that #3 rated QB played? Wilson's played 4 thus far (whether you measure by scoring, total yardage, or passing).

Griffin's played exactly 1 of the top passing defenses, and he lost that game, putting up his 2nd worst passer rating of the season. Griffin's played 3 of the top scoring defenses, losing two of those games. He's played 2 teams in the top 10 total yardage defenses, going 1-1. It's pretty incredible... when rookie QBs play easier defenses, they play better. When they play tougher defenses, they play worse.

And that's not to mention that one big thing Washington did is essentially adopt Baylor's offensive playbook for Griffin. That's not the way Carroll and Co. have handled Wilson. Big difference in philosophies.

But don't let those facts keep you from continuing your Flynn campaign.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Way to ignore the 4-5 beautifully-thrown passes that were dropped by members of our offense for absolutely no reason last night in terms of your comment on Wilson; and I'm only talking about dropped passes in the FIRST half.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
#2 point from the OP is an ignorant post regurgitating what he/she hears on ESPN.

OP
OP
C

Carhanu21

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2uk1e091 said:
Sgt. Largent":2uk1e091 said:
FlyingGreg":2uk1e091 said:

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

Flawed logic is what I see in this post. So you're comparing a rookie that was #2 pick in the draft to one who was a 3rd rounder? You expect the 3rd rounder to be in the top 5 and because he isn't, you consider him close to garbage? Wow.

In my original post, I said Russell Wilson is garbage RIGHT NOW. I then said i wasnt sure what he will be in the future. Every time people criticize Wilson, people get angry and use the "he is only a rookie" defense. We all understand that Wilson is a rookie and has a chance to improve in the future. In the salary-capped NFL with guys like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and RGII succeeding as rookies, the only thing that matters is what can you accomplish RIGHT NOW...or at least over the course of the current season.

It doesnt matter what Wilson will be 3 years from now. He may not even be on the team 3 years from now. Or the team might be really bad due to injuries and salary cap. You never know what will happen in future years. All you can do is focus on winning right now with what you have.

Also, its not even guaranteed that guys will get better in future years. Sometimes, they dont improve at all or even get worse (see Cam Newton in his second year).

Rat

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2g9rf060 said:
#2 point from the OP is an ignorant post regurgitating what he/she hears on ESPN.

It was from observations on the game.

If this was the only time I had seen Wilson play all year, I wouldn't have a favorable opinion of him either. This wasn't a great game for him, drops or not. Not that I was expecting a third round rookie to dominate the best defense in the league or anything. Would have been nice though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":31fbdzrk said:
Griffin's played exactly 1 of the top passing defenses, and he lost that game, putting up his 2nd worst passer rating of the season. Griffin's played 3 of the top scoring defenses, losing two of those games. He's played 2 teams in the top 10 total yardage defenses, going 1-1. It's pretty incredible... when rookie QBs play easier defenses, they play better. When they play tougher defenses, they play worse.

Yeah and three of our four wins have come against poor passing defenses.

Stats don't lie, #23 QB is not good enough if your ambition is to make the playoffs..........ESPECIALLY as a wild card team that has to go on the road. I know it's not all on Wilson, our offense has to play better. But right now on October 19th? This is not a playoff caliber passing offense. In fact, it's a very very poor passing offense.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":342b1q4i said:
volsunghawk":342b1q4i said:

Yeah and three of our four wins have come against poor passing defenses.

Stats don't lie, #23 QB is not good enough if your ambition is to make the playoffs..........ESPECIALLY as a wild card team that has to go on the road. I know it's not all on Wilson, our offense has to play better. But right now on October 19th? This is not a playoff caliber passing offense. In fact, it's a very very poor passing offense.

So Wilson has a 79.5 passer rating, right?

Last year's playoff teams featured QBs with a 80.9 rating (Flacco), 80.4 rating (Dalton), and a 72.9 rating (Tebow). Flacco's team made it to the AFCCG, even with him putting up 8 games that season with under an 80 rating. But his team had a strong running game and great D. If only we had that in Seattle!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
endzorn":1rzry1fx said:
Iupati is one of the most physically impressive offensive linemen I've ever seen. Our defensive line is solid and Iupati had his way all game long.
I wanted the Hawks to draft this guy so badly.................9ers o-line is very, very good.

Bipolar

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":odbrpd79 said:

OK, this chart has Drew Brees as #13 and Matt Stafford 1 spot below Russell Wilson.
I am sorry, but I believe my own eyes when I see these players dominate time after time after time, and these statistics are completely meaningless when it comes to real on-the-field performance.