Am I the only one that is surprised at our run D?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I didnt think they would be able to run like they did. I got the feeling they could have ran it all day had they wanted to. Yes we held them to 13 points so I am not bitching about our defense. But is anyone else surprised, and yet concerned, about how easily it seamed we were ran on at will?

mistaowen

Reaction score
The D-line got handled pretty well, but that is expected with their stellar offensive line. My major concern was our linebackers frequently missing their gaps and not staying in their assignment.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
They were sure gouging us up the middle there, it looked like they were really getting us on those traps and plays where thay got us spread out. Wagner had a tough game I think they really targeted him and kept him guessing, we also got hit on a bunch of underneath passing in the second half in his zone. They have a great o-line, makes me think the Giants could be headed back to the superbowl when considering what they were able to do with their pass rush, and of course their explosive offense...and ground game, they're good.

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
VHawk":2p9jyz4z said:
The D got tired.Wr couldnt catch a cold.
bullshit

stop the run. I hate blaming one side for another's shortcomings. Make plays and it doesn't matter what the offense of the defense doesn't or doesn't not do.

kmedic

Reaction score
I'm not concerned. SF has probably the best running OL in the entire league. They have 3 first round draft picks, the best LT barnone, possibly the best LG and a top flight RT. Like Mayock said, they found a play in that quick trap that was working and they exploited it to perfection in the third quarter. That together with the checkdowns to the RB's to keep the sticks moving tired out our D-Line. Mebane and Red are good but they aren't super human. SF isn't the number one rushing team in the NFL for no reason. I'm not concerned at all.

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3umvumfm said:
VHawk":3umvumfm said:
bullshit

stop the run. I hate blaming one side for another's shortcomings. Make plays and it doesn't matter what the offense of the defense doesn't or doesn't not do.
Tech Worlds how well did they run in the red zone? Just shut up and stop whining, the defense is NOT the problem in any way, shape, or form.

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":2g86f09f said:
Tech Worlds":2g86f09f said:
VHawk":2g86f09f said:
bullshit

Tech Worlds how well did they run in the red zone? Just shut up and stop whining, the defense is NOT the problem in any way, shape, or form.

shut up? thanks for bringing something to the table. whining ? not at all. concerned? yes I am.

you? head in sand. hmmm... so i should tell you something insulting now since you were an ass to me?

Piss off.

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
Yes, my head is "in the sand" because I'm not whining and crying about a top 5 defense in nearly every category that just gave up 13 points to one of the best teams in the NFL.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to hand it to the competition. San Fran's O-Line was kicking butt all game and dominated in the 2nd half. Team will dust themselves off and start thinking about how to handle Detroit.

[off-topic]
This one stings I am sure because of the obsession fans have with beating the 49ers but the 49ers hung tough in the first half and our guys couldn't make a play. Surprised with Turbin's drop. That was the trendsetter. Tate's drop at the start of the second half. These two have been clutch in catching the ball. Nerves or something got the best of them.
[/off-topic]

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":37oz5uoa said:
Yes, my head is "in the sand" because I'm not whining and crying about a top 5 defense in nearly every category that just gave up 13 points to one of the best teams in the NFL.

not whining at all. I just expected us to stuff the run better.

hopefully this isnt an issue down the road. I noticed in the last game when the pats ran the ball they were getting good yards as well.

I am totally happy with how we held the score down today. I just dont like the way we were gashed by the run game. This is a concern.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":368eruv9 said:
Tech Worlds":368eruv9 said:
VHawk":368eruv9 said:
bullshit

Goodbye.

endzorn

Reaction score
Iupati is a man. We watched every play twice and my buddy who's a Niners fan kept pointing out how badly Iupati was beating up on our interior linemen. That dude is amazing. There were a couple plays where Branch looked like a high schooler being blocked by an NFL hall of famer.

Happybelly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1iuya1uo said:
SuperBowlXLChamps":1iuya1uo said:

not whining at all. I just expected us to stuff the run better.

hopefully this isnt an issue down the road. I noticed in the last game when the pats ran the ball they were getting good yards as well.

I am totally happy with how we held the score down today. I just dont like the way we were gashed by the run game. This is a concern.

Agreed. We can't use the offense as a scapegoat for every issue the defense might have.

Just because the defense is very good doesn't mean it's perfect. It still has things it can improve on as well.

hoxrox

Reaction score
kmedic":2rhu0o1p said:
Like Mayock said, they found a play in that quick trap that was working and they exploited it to perfection in the third quarter. That together with the checkdowns to the RB's to keep the sticks moving tired out our D-Line. Mebane and Red are good but they aren't super human. SF isn't the number one rushing team in the NFL for no reason.

This plus the post route to VD is basically their whole offense and we couldn't gameplan to stop it. They are not a deep ball team. Our guys got tired, but more disappointed that the coaching staff wasn't able to scheme their tendencies.

jreff22

Reaction score
kmedic":2r7f9gsu said:
I'm not concerned. SF has probably the best running OL in the entire league. They have 3 first round draft picks, the best LT barnone, possibly the best LG and a top flight RT. Like Mayock said, they found a play in that quick trap that was working and they exploited it to perfection in the third quarter. That together with the checkdowns to the RB's to keep the sticks moving tired out our D-Line. Mebane and Red are good but they aren't super human. SF isn't the number one rushing team in the NFL for no reason. I'm not concerned at all.

Staley is not the best LT.....not even top 10 IMO.