Sure would be nice for us to develop a check down game

Hendo66

Reaction score
That is a great idea. Almost had 1 tonight but Lynch dropped it. More passes to RBs would do our O wonders. Not counting Turbins drop because it was downfield. Baltimore gets a ton of yardage dropping it off to Rice.

Mjolnir

Reaction score
I'm with you Greg.

All through the game tonight, I was impressed with SF's offensive line AND their ability to adapt their offense to whatever the defense was giving (we were definitely allowing the dinks and dunks). I kept on thinking, what if we had SF's OC instead of Bevel? Not blaming Bevel though....not his fault in my opinion at all. It's all on us having stone hands tonight. Catch those balls and this is a different game.

Not really gonna think that we got out coached defensively either....SF is just a tad bit better than us and mauled our defense with the almost exact same running package GB used to kick our ass in the 2nd half. Both these teams wore us down exactly how we wore down Dallas. For all my cringing over the dinks and dunks that gained huge chunks of yards, I kept reminding myself that if we tried to exclusively defend against it, it would open up the medium to long range more.

Geesh. I think our receivers and backs were hearing footsteps.

Catch the damn ball.

Wiseguy

Reaction score
More MRob!!! called it twice tonight and we need more. guy is clutch! Full backs are way under raited and ours is DEFINATELY way under rated.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
During the offseason everyone was complaining about Flynn for doing all those dink and dunks. They wanted "exciting" and when they saw Wilson they got it. Of course, without a short to medium passing game, our offense is only exciting because the defense keeps us in the game so Wilson can make a miracle last minute deep pass.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1adoeqh0 said:
During the offseason everyone was complaining about Flynn for doing all those dink and dunks. They wanted "exciting" and when they saw Wilson they got it. Of course, without a short to medium passing game, our offense is only exciting because the defense keeps us in the game so Wilson can make a miracle last minute deep pass.

You have to be able to do both. When the underneath stuff is open and available, you should take advantage of it.

m0ng0

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2l8khide said:
bingo!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
In order for the check down to gain more than 2-3 yards, you need WR's and TE's to run deep patterns in order to get the LB's to drop deep.

The reason SF was gaining 8-10 yards seemingly every check down in the 2nd half was because they'd send Davis straight down the middle, pulling our two middle LB's with him........opening up lots of space for the RB to catch the ball, turn and run for another 6-7 yards.

We don't have a world class TE like Davis to clear out the LB's....which is why when we check down our RB's get hammered and only gain like one yard.

canucklhead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2y46riuk said:
In order for the check down to gain more than 2-3 yards, you need WR's and TE's to run deep patterns in order to get the LB's to drop deep.

The reason SF was gaining 8-10 yards seemingly every check down in the 2nd half was because they'd send Davis straight down the middle, pulling our two middle LB's with him........opening up lots of space for the RB to catch the ball, turn and run for another 6-7 yards.

We don't have a world class TE like Davis to clear out the LB's....which is why when we check down our RB's get hammered and only gain like one yard.

:th2thumbs:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hin5bqle said:

Pretty sure Zach Miller is enough of a threat to draw a LB or two if he was ever called upon to run such a pattern

hoxrox

Reaction score
I don't care if dink and dunk isn't sexy as long as it moves the chains. Just look at NE's offense. Look at our offense during the prime Hass years. Except for Baldwin, guess we just don't have the receivers that can find the opening and get yards after catch... that WR screen IS our short passing game.

Baldwin missing the second half really limited what we could do. We should have kept Butler. He can be another 3rd down guy over any of the other receivers we have. BE and Obo has been non-existent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2h5hx68u said:
Sgt. Largent":2h5hx68u said:

Pretty sure Zach Miller is enough of a threat to draw a LB or two if he was ever called upon to run such a pattern

Maybe if he wasn't on the line 80% of the time helping to keep Russell from getting killed. We're basically paying Miller pro bowl TE money to be an extra blocker.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The Packers and 49ers dink and dunked all game and it was successful against us, why can't we do the same?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
hoxrox":2zq3fctn said:
I don't care if dink and dunk isn't sexy as long as it moves the chains. Just look at NE's offense. Look at our offense during the prime Hass years. Except for Baldwin, guess we just don't have the receivers that can find the opening and get yards after catch... that WR screen IS our short passing game.

Baldwin missing the second half really limited what we could do. We should have kept Butler. He can be another 3rd down guy over any of the other receivers we have. BE and Obo has been non-existent

I thought we should have kept Stokley around. The guy is a gamer but I do understand the guy is getting up there in age and we are trying to create a young team that can grow together. But we could have really used him until we get settled.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3jf7w96c said:
The Packers and 49ers dink and dunked all game and it was successful against us, why can't we do the same?

Because we don't have WR's and TE's that can stretch a defense downfield in order to open up check down plays that result in decent gains or yards after catch.

If you watch the replays, you'll see Wagner and K.J. backpeddling to help cover Davis downfield, which opened up space for SF's RB's to gain yards after the catch.

What's maddening is that we have the best DB's in the league, we DON'T NEED our LB's to drop deep to help. Jesus, just stay put and cover the RB's coming out of the backfield. Why Bradley didn't correct this after the first 4-5 times I have no idea.