Why was Lockette really picked up from SF?

NorCal

Reaction score
He was signed to the practice squad. The Niners had two WRs from their practice squad get picked up by other teams.

OP
OP
VHawk

VHawk

Reaction score
I think he was gameplanning.There is no reason he would need another receiver,they are loaded at WR.

kidhawk

Reaction score
well with Sherman's route running skills, if he does show the niners all the routes in our playbook, we'll win for sure :lol:

Rat

Reaction score
His speed has to be tempting to throw on a practice squad and try to develop the rest of his game. It costs the Niners next to nothing to do it, so why not? Maybe they think he can replace Ginn down the road.

I don't know that I'd say they're "loaded" at WR. I think Crabtree is about as good as you can do for a #2 wideout, but he's not a go-to guy. Manningham is another complimentary player. Moss is on his last legs. I know it's early, and he plays a position that traditionally takes time to develop, but the Niners have to want a do-over on that AJ Jenkins pick. I wouldn't argue with saying that they're deep at WR, but if somebody asked me which NFL teams are loaded at WR, I doubt the Niners would even be among the first dozen teams I'd mention.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
"Game planning" against a divisional opponent you play twice a year is entirely overrated. These teams know each other inside and out.

There might be a few wrinkles here and there, but nothing significant - and anything Lockette might have to offer has probably been changed anyways.

Divisional games in the NFL are usually close for this reason. You don't see many blowouts when divisional opponents match up.

It comes down to execution.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Upside. People with his size and speed (in pads) don't grow on trees.

lukerguy

Reaction score
There is no way that this was a game planning tactic.

#1) Our playbook has doubled since he was a part of the team
#2) Lockette isn't exactly Einstein.