Pete calls Bevell (or his playcalling) dumb to his face.

Fox0r

Reaction score
I was re-watching the game tonight. In the 4th quarter with 8:13 left, the Hawks are facing a 3rd and 5 at the Patriots 12 yard line.

Bevell calls a WR screen to Tate. As we've all mentioned, we hate WR screens in this offense. They never seem to work and we call them way too often. Almost as despised as the fades in the endzone.

The play is stuffed for only a 2 yard gain. Leaving the team in a 4th and 3 situation.

The camera then pans to Pete who is visibility angry on the sideline. He walks past Darrell Bevell, looks at him in disgust and says, "Dumb".

He then continues walking forward and drops another visible, .

I thought this was an interesting exchange. I know Pete publicly called our Bevell's playcalling as a reason we won this game, but I can't help but wonder if the front-office is also questioning some of his play calls like we have been.

Wish I could upload the video to Youtube.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
On Sunday, I thought he said "Damn!"

I mean it was 4th and 3. We had to go for it. So he was obviously put in a tough spot. I've been tough on Bevell, but I think you may be reaching here. No offense, of course.

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score
I could be reaching. No offense taken at all. It looked like he said dumb. Never thought of "damn".

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, Damn makes your lips part wider, exposes the teeth, wider space. Dumb doesn't do that. The lips almost go outward. Say the two words yourself and see. then go back and see what Pete's teeth are doing. Is it a hard Damn, coming apart, or a soft dumb, with lips going out?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I thought he was pissed because of the piss-poor blocking on that play. I think it would have been a TD if blocks would have been held. IIRC, Obomanu absolutely blew his block, it was sad.

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score
Ok. I just watched it again. He most certainly calls Bevell (or his playcalling) dumb right to his face. He doesn't say "Damn".

BigMeach

Reaction score
I just don't see it. I just rewatched it as well. Even if he DID say dumb, that in no way means he is saying it was a dumb play call. You Bevell hater's gotta cool it. That play call wasn't terrible, if Oba pushes his block back instead of losing it that doesn't happen and we get the 1st or at least a reasonable 4th and 1. It's all about execution.

For instance that 4th and 3 play afterwords for the TD to Braylon wasn't designed for Braylon to get passed to there. It was intended to clear the left side out for Tate, and if RW waits a split second longer he gets wide open. Of course we all know what happens, we score a TD on RW's throw, but that is not nearly as high percentage as what would have gone to Tate had RW made the right throw.

If RW misses that throw to Braylon ppl are on this forum saying how stupid that was and it's all Bevell's fault when in fact RW made the incorrect throw (even though it worked)

This isn't a hate on RW, it's just another example of how easily things can be misconstrued.

If you're going to hate on Bevell at least have some solidity to the claim, show an example of why.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Just did a test. They look the exact same. Probalby "damn."

BigMeach

Reaction score
Damn, Dumb, Dang , or Darn. Whatever the word there is no way to tell that he is saying that about the actual call by Bevell.

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score
BigMeach":z2970cu4 said:
I just don't see it. I just rewatched it as well. Even if he DID say dumb, that in no way means he is saying it was a dumb play call. You Bevell hater's gotta cool it. That play call wasn't terrible, if Oba pushes his block back instead of losing it that doesn't happen and we get the 1st or at least a reasonable 4th and 1. It's all about execution.

For instance that 4th and 3 play afterwords for the TD to Braylon wasn't designed for Braylon to get passed to there. It was intended to clear the left side out for Tate, and if RW waits a split second longer he gets wide open. Of course we all know what happens, we score a TD on RW's throw, but that is not nearly as high percentage as what would have gone to Tate had RW made the right throw.

If RW misses that throw to Braylon ppl are on this forum saying how stupid that was and it's all Bevell's fault when in fact RW made the incorrect throw (even though it worked)

This isn't a hate on RW, it's just another example of how easily things can be misconstrued.

If you're going to hate on Bevell at least have some solidity to the claim, show an example of why.

I don't hate Bevell. I'm lukewarm on him at the moment. Was just an observation. I still feel like he mouthed, "Dumb", but I agree with your post. Just passing along my observations.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The way I see it, most of Bevell's playcalling is average to decent. I'd say 70% of it. However, the remaining 30% is divided into two groups; great play calls, and horrible play calls, and it's like a 22-8 split in favor of the horrible. I hope we replace him or he is forced to change from Carroll this next off-season.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Whether he said 'dumb' or 'damn', regardless, it could have been for any number of things besides the play call of Bevell's.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Can you take some examples? I keep hearing it but have yet to see a disected play that proved it.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I don't see Pete changing Bevell at all. Foolish to change OC's after one year for a rookie QB.... then all you have is Sam Bradford part deux. No thanks.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
"If you thought THAT was dumb, wait til you see this fade route on 4th down!!!"

^ sarcasm...

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I'm not real big on Bevell, never have been but this is pretty out there man. Like other's have said, even if he did say 'dumb', he could have been refering to a number of other things. I find it hard to believe that PC doesn't like this play at any time though because of the way he always rants about how big a playmaker Tate is. I wouldn't even be surprised if it's one of Pete's personal input's on the playcalling.

kearly

Reaction score
I've defended Bevell plenty of times and will probably defend him more in the future, but that 3rd and 5 play call was retarded, with apologies to retarded people for being compared to that decision.

Nunya

Reaction score
Fox0r":3v15mr1q said:
I was re-watching the game tonight. In the 4th quarter with 8:13 left, the Hawks are facing a 3rd and 5 at the Patriots 12 yard line.

Bevell calls a WR screen to Tate. As we've all mentioned, we hate WR screens in this offense. They never seem to work and we call them way too often. Almost as despised as the fades in the endzone.

The play is stuffed for only a 2 yard gain. Leaving the team in a 4th and 3 situation.

The camera then pans to Pete who is visibility angry on the sideline. He walks past Darrell Bevell, looks at him in disgust and says, "Dumb".

He then continues walking forward and drops another visible, .

I thought this was an interesting exchange. I know Pete publicly called our Bevell's playcalling as a reason we won this game, but I can't help but wonder if the front-office is also questioning some of his play calls like we have been.

Wish I could upload the video to Youtube.

Are you sure he just wasn't asking Bevell for some "GUM".