Fade route on 4th and 3...

Ballz

Reaction score
I haven't seen this discussed here yet because obviously the play worked. But I was thinking, most of us would have been absolutely livid with that play call had it failed. It was 4th down, we only needed 3 yards for a first and I believe we were on the 10 yard line. He calls one of the lowest percentage pass plays you can call in the end zone?

Again, we all know that it worked out, but this place would have been steaming about that call had Braylon not caught it.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
It's been mentioned in a few other places here, but ya, I think you are correct. But, bottom line, it worked. Go Hawks.

hawkfan333

Reaction score
i was pissed with that play when the ball was in the air and then really happy once i saw it was caught but you are right could have easily not been caught

The Radish

Reaction score
Someone is pissing and moaning about a play that scored a TD?

After many posters complained with our play calling being to conservative?

There are about 25 things I could complain about in that game. But I would rather just take the 3 1/2 days we have to celebrate winning.

:141847_bnono:

blue 22

Reaction score
I was pretty pissed as well... That was the first time I recall it working this year... I am probably wrong.... but, it was pretty cool it worked! I am a total bevell hater though so thats why I disliked it...lol but my hope is that things will improve when russell gets more comfortable and can just take over. I kind of wonder if they are allowing him to do that yet? anybody who watches the film see him making adjustments? I havent really noticed that much...

OP
OP
B

Ballz

Reaction score
The Radish":d8wr2qm4 said:

There are about 25 things I could complain about in that game. But I would rather just take the 3 1/2 days we have to celebrate winning.

How did that come across as pissing and moaning? I'm ecstatic we won the game. Just surprised that play was called in that situation. Pissing and moaning?!?! Really?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
There was another play on the drive before the last where we turned it over on downs on a failed 3rd and 3 pass down the sideline that wasn't even close in any fashion. We were lucky to get the ball back with so little time left at the time. I vaguely remember it now, so I don't remember the specifics but I wish they'd run some higher % stuff in those situations. I mean get the first down, then take some shots.

drdiags

Reaction score
At the time I figured what did you have to lose? They weren't running on the Pats and they gambled that the edges would be open more than something quick across the middle.

Yep, the coaches and players would be catching hell right now if that play had not worked. It's a fine high-wire balancing act. That play never worked Pete's first year with Bates. Same with the punt. Thank the defense for holding up late.

I had prepared myself for defeat. There is no way my team hits a 47 yd bomb with 1:14 to go against one of the highly regarded teams. Never happens. Except this time it did. This season is a mystery to me.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Here's the problem with complaining about this play....Edwards was only one player on the field. We don't know who the primary receiver was and what the original intent of the play was. Could the first read have been well covered? Did Wilson see something with Edwards coverage that made him decide to put it there? Was that the original plan all along? We don't know the answers to these, we can just be happy that it worked, because if it doesn't, we'd be arguing about who's fault it was...Pete, Darrel or Russel.

OP
OP
B

Ballz

Reaction score
kidhawk":1rv26qsj said:
Here's the problem with complaining about this play....Edwards was only one player on the field. We don't know who the primary receiver was and what the original intent of the play was. Could the first read have been well covered? Did Wilson see something with Edwards coverage that made him decide to put it there? Was that the original plan all along? We don't know the answers to these, we can just be happy that it worked, because if it doesn't, we'd be arguing about who's fault it was...Pete, Darrel or Russel.

The primary reciever was Braylon. Watch how quickly the ball is thrown after the snap. He didn't have time to make any other reads. I suppose he could have called that at the line, but you're right. We don't know.

The Radish

Reaction score
You're right. I shouldn't have said pissing and moaning. But since you now are still talking about it wouldn't that be whining?

:roll:

Again I refuse to entertain any bad news when we only have until thursday to enjoy beating the freaking Patriots!!!

chawx

Reaction score
I saw nothing wrong with that play, whether it was called like that or not.... I don't see why more teams don't do that..the CB was clearly playing the fade, everyone on NE's bench thought fade, but Russ throws it short so only the guy with his head turned and looking at the ball could get it.

Plus, if he drops it, it's a PI on the defense...what are we complaining about again? :beating:

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I agree that it was probably not the brightest call to make on 4th and 3 (why don't we ever run in these situations?). If NE's defensive back hadn't totally blown the coverage on Braylon, we'd have turned it over on downs.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I always hate that call because it works about 10% of the time, but I also think that Wilson was supposed to look at the route underneath that was open IIRC. It definitely wasn't a single option play and Wilson needs to thank Edwards for bailing him out, imo. What worries me is that this is the type of play we seem to always go to in that situation - our OC needs to have something better than that put together, imo.

Starrman44

Reaction score
The problem at times with high percentage plays is that those are the ones the D expects. If you are going to hang touchdowns on the board and not field goals you gotta roll the dice, especially against a good team.

I thought it was genius, I thought the underthrow was on purpose and Edwards did what he does the best, make the spectacular catch (cause he drops the easy ones now and again).

Man, I love this team.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Personally, I thought it was correct for the situation. There's something about going for the TD on 4th and short that seems to work pretty well - maybe because the Patriots front 7 were geared up to stuff the run and they got caught off guard?

bellingerga

Reaction score
The Radish":39pbsx2l said:

I wouldn't call this pissing and moaning, and he's 100% right. It's a very low percentage play and this place would have erupted into rage and fury had it not worked. Everyone is glad it did work out of course :th2thumbs:

bellingerga

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":otrvtfey said:
I agree that it was probably not the brightest call to make on 4th and 3 (why don't we ever run in these situations?). If NE's defensive back hadn't totally blown the coverage on Braylon, we'd have turned it over on downs.

Did he blow the coverage? My recollection was that it was great coverage but Russell threw it in a place where Braylon had to make an incredible adjustment and manuever to get to it. Not sure I would consider that blown coverage, the guy was with Edwards step by step, it was just an incredible adjustment on Edwards part to make that catch.

Latest posts