How will our defense change/improve when Thurmond is back?

JonRud

Reaction score
Sounds like Thurmond will probably be back for the Lions game on 10/28. Does he come in to replace Trufant in the nickel role? I know there are a lot of high hopes for Thurmond. Obviously he's not going to start over our two CB's...so how do you think he will be used?

Realistically how much can his return improve our defense? Also can he help on special teams?

mistaowen

Reaction score
He will be a much needed improvement at nickel over Tru. It's sad to see, but Tru has lost a few steps. He gets burned by the small speedy guys. Hopefully we can find ways to keep him out there though, he is great in run support.

Thurmond looked great last year before getting hurt again. Hopefully he hasn't rushed it and will be completely healed when he comes back.

Seeker

Reaction score
"BUY THE SEAHAWKS DEFENSE IN EVERY FANTASY LEAGUE" -- NFL Network

How good is WT3?
His backup was Richard Sherman.
yes, that good.
this D is going to be so good.

ErikG803

Reaction score
I think he provides a sizeable upgrade over Tru as CB3 but the bigger thing for me is that if, HEAVEN FORBID, either Sherman or Browner need a little time off I feel a hell of a lot better with WTIII filling in for one of them

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
I'm not so sure Thurmond is any sort of immediate upgrade over Trufant. Maybe down the ways a bit. But right away? Dude has barely played the past season and a half. Not sure if he'll be able to just step in an be great. Tru hasn't exactly been minced meat or anything. This isn't NE's secondary being replaced. I like Thurmond and all. But he hasn't lived up to the potential he came to the Hawks with.

sturg78

Reaction score
WTIII was going to be a first round pick coming out of college if he didn't blow up his knee his last year at Oregon. He was as shut down and electric as a returner as you got. I was thrilled we drafted him despite the injuries and think that when he comes back to the line up, teams will be lucky to move the ball on third down.

What is better is that gives us 4 legit CB in a dime package. 4 legit CBs covering receivers means more time for Bruce and Clemons to eat during obvious passing plays.

Sac

Reaction score
Thurmond was damn good before he got hurt last year. Damn fast too. He immediately makes nickel and dime packages better.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Well, the reality is Thurmond has played in 20 games in the last two years (’10 and ’11) just like Marcus, the big difference is he only had four starts compared to Trufant’s 20 starts.

In those two years Walter had 49 total tackles and 9 passes defended no INTs in 53 plays.
Marcus had more time on the field and had 103 tackles 11 passes defended 2 INTs in 114 plays.

I’d say except for the PD/plays they are pretty close and it’s hard to say if PD’s would project out linearly…

the ditch

Reaction score
While I always thought he had a lot of potential and maybe he still does, he really hasn't done much with the snaps that he has been given, and even looking on PFF he really has been average at best.

Last year in coverage he was:
Thrown at: 21
Receptions against: 12
INTs: 0
QB Rating Against: 93.4

2010 in coverage:
Thrown at: 45
Receptions Against: 26
QB Rating Against: 91.8

Browner and Sherman's numbers this year and last are just ridiculous, they are playing at an extremely high level we are really lucky to have them both.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
the ditch":1pyplaub said:
While I always thought he had a lot of potential and maybe he still does, he really hasn't done much with the snaps that he has been given, and even looking on PFF he really has been average at best.

2010 in coverage:

Browner and Sherman's numbers this year and last are just ridiculous, they are playing at an extremely high level we are really lucky to have them both.

FYI, I pulled my stats from Football Outsiders, was wondering where you got yours?

Hamhawk

Reaction score
Thurmond has all the "potential" to be a very good CB,...however, I think he's one more injury away from possibly not being on the team or in the league,...he's really an enigma from a health standpoint,...

the ditch

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1cbslfow said:
the ditch":1cbslfow said:

2010 in coverage:

FYI, I pulled my stats from Football Outsiders, was wondering where you got yours?

ProFootballFocus.com advanced stats.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
the ditch":3sn9kwyn said:
FidelisHawk":3sn9kwyn said:
the ditch":3sn9kwyn said:

2010 in coverage:

ProFootballFocus.com advanced stats.

LOL Thanks, I love all the stats I can get my hands on, but not so much I’m willing to pay for them :p

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It means more options in nickel and dime coverage, and gives us much needed DB depth if Trufant or god forbid one of our starting DB's gets hurt.