What is the recipe for success against the 9ers?

SirTed

Reaction score
I watched a few plays of the NYG v. 49er game but not enough to get an idea of what happened.

So, what the hell happened?

What can we take from that game?

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Turnovers, they ran the ball on them, niners special teams laid an egg.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Score early and have them playing from behind. Shut down the run. Force Alex Smith to throw deep.

OP
OP
SirTed

SirTed

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1yz4u621 said:
Score early and have them playing from behind. Shut down the run. Force Alex Smith to throw deep.

This seems to be the way to beat the 9ers but I wonder if we're capable. I don't mean that as a slight on us, I just think that ball control teams like ours tend to have a hard time jumping in front. It's going to be interesting.

mrblitz

Reaction score
apparently, you run at that one defender (defensive end?) who is really good at 'backside pursuit'. you run right at him and wear him down.

bellyfat

Reaction score
Leon Washington (on returns)
Lynch and Turbin all night too.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
The Giants ran the ball right at the 9ers. Punched them in the gut, beat them up, "out-physicaled" them... whichever phrasing you prefer. The Giants even lined Diehl (an OL) up a number of times as a TE. Throw out a jumbo package and pound them.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":s8pbx25f said:
The Giants ran the ball right at the 9ers. Punched them in the gut, beat them up, "out-physicaled" them... whichever phrasing you prefer. The Giants even lined Diehl (an OL) up a number of times as a TE. Throw out a jumbo package and pound them. Whoops, probably shouldn't talk about men pounding other men when San Francisco is involved...
The Giants also did a lot of running from nickle formations. They would spread the 49ers out and run at them, give them multiple looks in the running game.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SirTed":39w785w9 said:
-The Glove-":39w785w9 said:

This seems to be the way to beat the 9ers but I wonder if we're capable. I don't mean that as a slight on us, I just think that ball control teams like ours tend to have a hard time jumping in front. It's going to be interesting.

We've started out great these past couple games. Jumped out to early leads, we just have to sustain it.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The 49ers didn't play a bad game against the Giants. Alex Smith and Jim Harbaugh had bad games though. Doubt they'll repeat the same mistakes 2 weeks in a row at home. We're gonna have to play a great game.

O-LineFan

Reaction score
If our defensive linemen move at all, Alex Smith should get scared and throw the ball away. I'm hoping that the trouncing that the Giants put on them makes Smith remember who he really is; a shell shocked waste of a number 1 pick.

mrblitz

Reaction score
I read there was a particular defender the giants ran directly at/over; a player who was known for backside pursuit.

...Aldon Smith?

mistaowen

Reaction score
Force Alex Smith to throw longer than 5 yard passes which is how they beat us last year. Our secondary is better than their WR core, don't let him just do check down after check down.

Be in Alex Smith's face constantly. Make him throw those gross deep passes into double coverage while under pressure.

Hit Frank Gore hard and often.

Let Russell stay aggressive. Clearly their D is better than New England's, but he is capable of making those long developing Brees type throws. I think Bevell is finally starting to open up his playbook.

Pound Marshawn between the tackles like NY just did. Hopefully the 49ers saw RW is learning how to beat 8 in the box and wont sell out on the run everyplay like NE did, letting Marshawn get back to 100 yards. Our playaction looks great.

Largent80

Reaction score
Basically pound them hard with the 1-2-3 punch of Lynch/Turbin/Robinson......Keep throwing to Rice who is getting separation.

Stop Gore. Dial up the pass rush....= win.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
O-LineFan":3c04ihkp said:
If our defensive linemen move at all, Alex Smith should get scared and throw the ball away. I'm hoping that the trouncing that the Giants put on them makes Smith remember who he really is; a shell shocked waste of a number 1 pick.

This game in particular worries me. Not so much about the short week, but because the digits lost badly, at home, and they will be out for blood.

I think we can beat them, but the odds are just not in our favor. Hopefully the bravado from Sherman galvanizes the team and they go and punch the digits in the face, and beat them into submission. That's about the only way ican see us beating them, and it'll be brutal football. Something like 9-6. First to 10, wins.

OTOH, Maybe Wilson goes buck-nutty on their DB's and we run all over them once they have to respect the deep ball. 2 by land, 2 more by air, we win going away and are favorites in the division for the rest of the year. That's what's at stake, too.

You like being respected...beat the digits. If you prefer anonymity, lose the game and the media will continue to write us off for the remainder of the season.

OP
OP
SirTed

SirTed

Reaction score
mistaowen":12ku6ey4 said:
Force Alex Smith to throw longer than 5 yard passes which is how they beat us last year. Our secondary is better than their WR core, don't let him just do check down after check down.

Be in Alex Smith's face constantly. Make him throw those gross deep passes into double coverage while under pressure.

Hit Frank Gore hard and often.

Let Russell stay aggressive. Clearly their D is better than New England's, but he is capable of making those long developing Brees type throws. I think Bevell is finally starting to open up his playbook.

Pound Marshawn between the tackles like NY just did. Hopefully the 49ers saw RW is learning how to beat 8 in the box and wont sell out on the run everyplay like NE did, letting Marshawn get back to 100 yards. Our playaction looks great.

It seems to me we've struggled to cover Crabs of late, and VD is basically impossible to stop. :oops:

I don't worry about the rest, but that may be all they need. Can't lie, I'm a little worried about this game.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Here's what I would do. Come out aggressive on offense. Let Wilson throw deep or run it himself in order to get an early lead. Focus on stopping the run early. Force Smith to pass it and profit accordingly.