Random Thoughts™ on the Patriots game

kearly

Reaction score
-Tom Brady played even better than his stats. He had so many heady plays in this game. He had two interceptions and had 3-4 more than were near interceptions, but he had almost 400 yards against an elite defense at home that was playing basically as well as they have all season. To me, this wasn't an off game by our defense. This was Tom Brady and those fast white guys making play after play. Serious props to any New England fans reading this- you have a seriously great team.

-Russell Wilson finally, FINALLY looked like preseason Russell Wilson. If he plays on this level all season, the Seahawks could easily find themselves in the Superbowl. This was one of the guttiest and most impressive performances I've seen by a Seahawks QB- it reminded me of young Hasselbeck in 2002 against the Chargers or in 2003 against the Rams at home.

-Wilson's pocket presence has come a long way since week 1. He did an excellent job feeling pressure and I don't think there was a single decision for him to run all game that I disagreed with. His long winding run on 3rd and long that was wiped out by a Giacomini hold was a thing of beauty. I also loved that run on 3rd down in the red zone where he extended the play, took off, and made a guy miss to pick up the 1st.

-Finally, this team allowed Wilson to throw deep, and the results were spectacular. Remember when Wilson had a 5.7 YPA? Today he posted a 10.9, and the week before he was at 8.8. It's starting to look like defenses were effecting Wilson's stats even more than we thought. Wilson threw the ball 27 times. Only one time this season did he throw the ball more often. And yet, he still finished with fewer than half as many attempts as Brady took. Tom Brady is kind of a good QB.

-This game probably makes Richard Sherman a pro-bowl frontrunner, if he wasn't one already. He had a huge game against a premiere franchise and elite offense.

-Breno Giacomini had just one penalty today, and while it did wipe out a big run by Wilson, it's probably a big sack instead of a big run if Giacomini doesn't hold, and as the announcer said, you can't really blame Giacomini for it, because Wilson wasn't supposed to be there. It was a very close call, often times that kind of play isn't called holding but since Giacomini was a foot from Wilson he was in the spotlight.

-I thought the refs were our guardian angels today, and it's not often that's true for the Seahawks. There was a deep pass to Tate that he dropped which was called DPI in our favor, and on replay it looked like a terrible call. Later on, Brandon Browner appeared to arrive early defending a pass on 3rd down with less than 3 minutes to go. 9 times out of 10, Browner is getting a DPI there and New England has a new set of downs. That would have taken the clock down to about a minute left and left Seattle without timeouts down by six, and if New England gets another 1st down, it's game over. It was a huge, huge break getting away with that one. I can hardly feel bad about it though, we were owed after some awful calls that went against us in the secondary earlier this season.

-Wes Welker is one tough dude. He got clocked by Brandon Browner. Later he got nailed by Kam Chancellor. Both were among the nastiest hits of the whole season. After the game finished, I switched to ESPN and immediately saw the following TV spot:

[youtube]bCqzk3w8g60[/youtube]

Adam Schefter is truly the fastest man in sports news.

-I don't think anyone loved this win more than Jon Ryan did. Those flash memory eraser things from Men in Black unfortunately do not exist, but overcoming a 13 point deficit in the final minutes against a great team at home has pretty much the same effect.

-Oh yeah, remember that intentional grounding call with 0:01 left in the 2nd quarter? That was the difference in the game. Who knew?

-HOLY SHIT WE WON! adfjoqwnweonOINWEROINRVNSAVOLWENVIVNA SNBLSAGNLABRGONWNGIONBW-9JG9JEVBNPOIGNV LNAG03 FLKNDSP. There, my face feels better now.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Russell Wilson throws the deep post as well as any QB i've ever seen.

Brady was absolutely amazing in the first half. 2nd half he looked uncomfortable, i'm not sure if it was the rain or that we finally got a few hits on him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought we won the game because we hit Brady enough to make him uncomfortable. Both intentional grounding calls were in the face of pressure. Yeah, Brady is good. He also gets pretty pissy when his protection isn't perfect.
They ran 85 plays on offense. We only averaged 3.3 yards per run, though Jon Ryan's play is part of that crap stat. Wilfork is such an asset, imagine what that run D would be like if Big Red had signed with the Pats?

We gifted them opportunities, and Earl dropped a pick 6 just moments before they scored a TD. I still feel like this team is on the verge of a 5 takeaway type of game.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
Good write-up. I am so glad they let him throw deep as well. His deep ball was a thing of beauty today. His deep passes were very accurate and well-placed. He gave his receivers a chance to make a play on the ball. I also noticed his pocket presence today compared to the first few games this year. He seems to have learned a lot the past couple of weeks. He was so exciting to watch today, as was the rest of the team. Great win today!

VHawk

Reaction score
The one thing I would say that seems no one really seems to voice here is that this team as a unit never gives up.Despite missed opprtunities or penalties or turnovers they bounce right back because they believe.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
kearly":3vhxbgvc said:
-I don't think anyone loved this win more than Jon Ryan did. Those flash memory eraser things from Men in Black unfortunately do not exist, but overcoming a 13 point deficit in the final minutes against a great team at home has pretty much the same effect.

but they do in the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

That's why winners withstand and losers go home. . . alone.

seanoob

Reaction score
"We gifted them opportunities, and Earl dropped a pick 6 just moments before they scored a TD."

Glad this did NOT affect the outcome of the game. There was also another almost pick in the 4th quarter where the ball sailed through Sherman's hands. What a nail biter!

12th_Bob

Reaction score
VHawk":pkf2p8ks said:
The one thing I would say that seems no one really seems to voice here is that this team as a unit never gives up.Despite missed opprtunities or penalties or turnovers they bounce right back because they believe.

You got that right, number one rule, never Give UP! Great team effort.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
VHawk":9s2mrjg3 said:

Yep, it looks like they are being coached to believe that maybe their play didn't work out so well on that down, but the next one is just as likely theirs.
The Coaches most likely have them up to shaking off a missed tackle, a dropped interception, or maybe a miscue that is history, and is nothing to dwell on, forget your mistakes on the last play, but remember what got you out of position, and correct it on the next play.
Sherman seems to have an uncanny ability to read Offensive plays, adjust for minute nuances,,It just boggles the mind on how he seems to know the Receivers routes as well as they do, and break on the ball for the Intercept., or a bat down.

I think he can read QB tendencies as good or better than just about ANY CB in the NFL,,,He's playing proBowl level football.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
As long as we are on random thoughts, did you notice that Rice showed america half his ass on his game winning touchdown? C-Link tried to take his pants off.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Russell Okung is directly responsible for our first TD. He wiped out two guys that would have taken down Wilson for a huge loss on his scramble for a first down.

Seafan

Reaction score
@Kearly,

I thought before tha game the Hawk D was going to have trouble without McDonald and Howard. What's your thought on that. I haven't seen that talked about at all. Losing two big interior guys like that was going to hurt us and no doubt guys like Branch and Mebane had to play more minutes than usual.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":1a6keaak said:
@Kearly,

I thought before tha game the Hawk D was going to have trouble without McDonald and Howard. What's your thought on that. I haven't seen that talked about at all. Losing two big interior guys like that was going to hurt us and no doubt guys like Branch and Mebane had to play more minutes than usual.
Being at the game, I saw numerous times when both Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane were gassed in the 3rd Q and had to come out. Thankfully, referee reviews and a couple of decent 4th Q drives from our offense freshened them for the final push.

OlyHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. During the game we noted that Okung and the rest of the offensive line had minimal penalties. Wilson didn't seem to have much time for a good portion of the game, though he did move to create space late in the game. Credit the Patriots.

I wondered if the first offside by Wilfolk was planned to drill Wilson. The game within the game.

Pats are well coached and very disciplined. Brady and his receivers are amazing. And the Seahawks still won!!!!

madbohem

Reaction score
I am new here, but one of the reasons i wanted to sign up on this site were posts like this one.

I really think that Seattle on defense really did prove itself with pressure even if we didn't get a lot sacks. I also think the crowd noise made the Patriots burn a timeout right before the two minute warning.