Is Trufant actually..... good?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I'm just gonna quote a stat that I just saw that I thought was freaking unbelievable, because our amazing CB's on the outside, mean that the ball has to be thrown SOMEWHERE, and I thought Trufant was getting picked on.

Trufant allows a reception once every 16.8 snaps. Wow, not bad, not bad at all.

EDIT: Here is the article I posted that stat from:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ks-week-6/

And here's something I missed through the first read that I thought was interesting....

That leaves the veteran CB manning the slot, where he’s done an excellent job this season. Trufant has allowed a reception only once every 16.8 snaps from that position, the second-best mark in the NFL.

There ya go, Trufant haters. 2nd best in the whole NFL. How's that taste?

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, he's not as good as he once was, but he can still play. Being in the slot means he doesn't go up against the elite WRs as often, so he can control the 3rd and 4th string guys, apparently. I always thought keeping him around as a 3rd/4th CB was a good idea. I think he provides a lot of what Lawyer Milloy did while he was here, veteran leadership.

:)

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm with this as well. Trufant can still cover and is playing pretty well.

I dont know if Thurmond could've beat him out this camp if he could've (now that Tru's salary is reasonable).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The nickel corner sees the field what, 25-30 percent of the time? Kinda takes the shine off that stat a bit. I don't see the greatness some of you do.

sutz

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3kx18rdq said:
The nickel corner sees the field what, 25-30 percent of the time? Kinda takes the shine off that stat a bit. I don't see the greatness some of you do.
I didn't say "greatness." :roll:

He's a decent nickle corner these days, and a stable veteran presence for our young guys. Nobody is saying he should be a 'starter' or front line DB.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1m064rqr said:

Well let's say (I know this isn't true, but stay with me here) that we only go to nickel on 3rd down. And every reception Trufant allows is a first down (also not true I know). That means he allows a 3rd down to be converted only about once every 17 tries.

And when he sees the field, he seems to be doing his job, so I'm good. Just like Bruce Irvin and Jason Jones.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
How many PDs does he have? How many receptions has he allowed versus targets? those are relevant too.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3kbk9xra said:
Scottemojo":3kbk9xra said:

Well let's say (I know this isn't true, but stay with me here) that we only go to nickel on 3rd down. And every reception Trufant allows is a first down (also not true I know). That means he allows a 3rd down to be converted only about once every 17 tries.

And when he sees the field, he seems to be doing his job, so I'm good. Just like Bruce Irvin and Jason Jones.

It depends.. Is that stat for every 17 defensive snaps? Or 17 snaps when Trufant is on the field?

But, Trufant is fine. Stats or not. All these advanced stats drive me crazy. What happened to just watching football and seeing who's good at their jobs or not? Now get off my lawn ya wippersnapper! :les:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't think it will be that long before Gorrer takes his spot(hope I spelled Gorrer's name right).

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2jdr4dq1 said:
I don't think it will be that long before Gorrer takes his spot(hope I spelled Gorrer's name right).

What are you seeing that leads you to that? Unless Gorrer is more physical than Tru?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3tymaxpe said:
Scottemojo":3tymaxpe said:

What are you seeing that leads you to that? Unless Gorrer is more physical than Tru?
Tru does't look to quick or agile to me. Is it the back? Anyway, I have little to go on with Gorrer, but he is damn fast. Quick I don't know, but fast for sure. Mostly I am just banking on Earl Thomas being right about him. They played together on some level back in the day, and Thomas sicced Schneider on him. So far, Schneider has had the midas touch with the secondary.
So yeah, blind faith on my part.

pehawk

Reaction score
Gorrer over Lane? Someone JS and Pete drafted? That's the preference, Lane, and he couldn't beat Trufant out. I think he's playing well, but I could be biased based on the play around him. We'll find out Sunday, regardless, I think.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3kv2tqvq said:
Gorrer over Lane? Someone JS and Pete drafted? That's the preference, Lane, and he couldn't beat Trufant out. I think he's playing well, but I could be biased based on the play around him. We'll find out Sunday, regardless, I think.
Yeah, but I think Lane is a press corner guy. A DEVELOPMENT press corner guy. Not a nickel slot cover guy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Yall forgetting about Thurmond III? He'll be off pup after this week.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
*tells Glove to see third post in thread*
Hey Glove, look at the third post!

pehawk

Reaction score
I think unless Thurmond wows in the tackling and physical aspect, he may just be IR'd. Total opinion.

kearly

Reaction score
When I watched Trufant closely last year I thought he was having a great season up until his injury. This year he seems like "average" Trufant again. Him and Leroy Hill are the two most average players on our defense.

Thurmond looked like a star in the making during the Giants game, unfortunately he was hurt the very next week and put on IR. Lets not forget that he was ahead of Sherman on the depth chart at one point. I think he's got a bright future, and who's going to bite the bullet when he gets activated? The young, speedy, intriguing Gorrer or the older, short contract, and relatively expensive Marcus Trufant? My money is on Trufant.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
You could do a lot worse for a nickel back.

Trufant isn't the corner he used to be obviously, but he's a savvy vet and still does a solid job.

That said, I'm not loving the idea of Welker being in the slot against him. That could get ugly in a hurry.

chawx

Reaction score
One thing i've notice when Trufant gets out there is his ability to tackle in space. Only one time this year have I seen him whiff on a tackle, and that was against Smith in the Panthers game. I like me some Tru...

BASF

Reaction score
chawx":zegj940a said:
One thing i've notice when Trufant gets out there is his ability to tackle in space. Only one time this year have I seen him whiff on a tackle, and that was against Smith in the Panthers game. I like me some Tru...

I actually think we lose the Panthers game if it wasn't for the tackle Marcus made on the goal line with Browner getting the shot at the front he got most of the credit, but Trufant made the initial hit on the receivers legs to keep him out of the end zone. It was a lot like Alan Branch's sack in the Rams game where Mebane had Bradford around the ankles and Branch jumped on top of him and got the full sack on the stat sheet.