Clemons Fined for Roughing on Newton

kidhawk

Reaction score
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... /#more-888

Chris Clemons was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer, unnecessarily driving Carolina quarterback Cam Newton to the ground after he threw the ball down the field, according to the league. Clemons drew a personal foul penalty on the play.

Gotta say I'm not surprised...it was pretty blatant and unnecessary to drive him to the ground like he did on that particular play.

12thMan1

Reaction score
They should just go ahead and fine all of our players for any future unnecessary roughness penalties that may occur!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
That is a horrible hoe edible horrible fine. Been the roughing the passer was bad, but I understand it. Clemons head was down and Newton had the ball when he launched. He could not see whether Newton had merely pump faked and was still in possession of the ball or not.

Weak Sauce, NFL!!!!!!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Bah, stop whining, everyone. Clemons deserves this fine, and we all know it. I could have barbecued ribs between the time the ball left Newton's hand and Clemons made contact with him. Ignorance is not a defense in a case like this, i.e., lowering your head so you can't see the QB when you're still a mile away.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1eas84hg said:
That is a horrible hoe edible horrible fine. Been the roughing the passer was bad, but I understand it. Clemons head was down and Newton had the ball when he launched. He could not see whether Newton had merely pump faked and was still in possession of the ball or not.

Weak Sauce, NFL!!!!!!

It's not so much the timing of the hit, I thought that was borderline ok, it was the way he drove him into the ground that drew the flag. It was over the top even if he had the ball (although I think the league should and may have let it go had he been holding the ball), but with the ball already gone, the driving him into the turf becomes even more unnecessary

bestfightstory

Reaction score
kidhawk":e54bply7 said:
bestfightstory":e54bply7 said:

Weak Sauce, NFL!!!!!!

It's not so much the timing of the hit, I thought that was borderline ok, it was the way he drove him into the ground that drew the flag. It was over the top even if he had the ball (although I think the league should and may have let it go had he been holding the ball), but with the ball already gone, the driving him into the turf becomes even more unnecessary

Well. We disagree, then. And that's fine. Cam Newton is an incredibly powerful QB. I think Clem did what he needed to do. Had he rag-dolled a twerp like our QB I think your argument would have.....more weight?

Hamhawk

Reaction score
remind me again,...what is the NFL doing with all this money from all these fines,...did they start and fund a new bank, the " NFL Bank of America" ?,....

sam1313

Reaction score
The problem is having your head down when hitting a quarterback. You just can't do it. You can look at the quarterback's feet and say, "I didn't know he threw the ball." Under the rules that just doesn't cut it. It was a good play Clem, just pick your head up next time (or buy Goodell another car).

Starrman44

Reaction score
It's no wonder the guys with big hands are so effective at pump faking. The defense has to respect the pump and lay off. Those guys like Big Ben with the hard pump fakes are made more effective.

I understand the rule, and I appreciate keeping QB's safe. I have no problem with Clemon's fine, it's just the way the game is today. It's like the rule regarding going in too low below the knees when attacking the QB. The target to hit for the Defense is getting smaller and smaller. With QB's it's above the knees and low enough on the chest so your helmet don't slide into the QB's grill. Guys are going to have to learn to square up, drop your butt and wrap up your target instead of trying to knock the snot out of these guys.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
You have to give those types of hits every now and then.

Give a player a touch of pain, and they are much more reluctant to make a play when they see you running after them.

It's football!

CANHawk

Reaction score
Starrman44":14vy6396 said:
It's no wonder the guys with big hands are so effective at pump faking. The defense has to respect the pump and lay off. Those guys like Big Ben with the hard pump fakes are made more effective.

I understand the rule, and I appreciate keeping QB's safe. I have no problem with Clemon's fine, it's just the way the game is today. It's like the rule regarding going in too low below the knees when attacking the QB. The target to hit for the Defense is getting smaller and smaller. With QB's it's above the knees and low enough on the chest so your helmet don't slide into the QB's grill. Guys are going to have to learn to square up, drop your butt and wrap up your target instead of trying to knock the snot out of these guys.

So, you're saying that they're going to have to learn to tackle properly? Man, what a concept!

...but how are they supposed to do that when the new CBA says they're not allowed to hit eachother in practice?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
So do you think the players really pay these fines? Or does it come out of their check but equal money gets back in somehow?

No, I'm not talking about the Aints and their hurt-fest fund. I just think the team somehow covers things like this. And I'm especially convinced the team does cover any fines of coaches, head office.

themunn

Reaction score
by rule of the law he deserved it

thing is, roughing the passer is a rule that's never sit well with me, fair enough the QB is the top dog - you want to protect him because he's the guy that everything revolves around basically. but i've never (and never will) feel happy about a penalty that applies for doing something to a player who plays a specific position. If we run a play fake and someone absolutely flattens Marshawn... what makes that different to flattening a player who threw the ball 0.5 seconds earlier??

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Trent Cole was fined $7,500 for ending Russell Okung's season.
Matt Slauson was fined $10,000 for ending Brian Cushing's season.
Chris Clemons was fined $15,750!!! for planting Cam Newton on the turf (which he happened to get up from without a torn pec or busted knee).

I completely agree that it was a bonehead play by Clem, just wondering who comes up with the amount of these fines.

Tundra

Reaction score
I wish he could plant Goodell like that. I don't care if it was earned or not I want more aggressive play like that from Clemons.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks need to stop getting stupid game killing penalties. That's one reason I'm glad BMW is gone. He added nothing but he sure took away. Stupid penalties are uncalled for and the fines should be more. These guys really need to be fined by the teams as well for putting the games and their team mates and fans in jeopardy of loss because of their stupidity. Breno needs to clean up his act. He needs to pay Tate and Wilson bucks for the great pass play that was negated. Nothing wrong with physical play as long as it is in the rules.