What makes the Hawks defense so different?

drdiags

Reaction score
The main feature is the large corners. Plus playing a former DT at DE. Carroll is using a variation of an old 49er defense where Haley's role is what Clemons is doing now. That is my simple take.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Lots of defenses are big, and lots of defenses are fast, but very rarely can you combine the two the way Pete has done with this team. We have big bodies out there, but still have the quickness to get to the ball at any point on the field. The perfect example of this in one play, was the way Browner made the play where he literally stole the football against the panthers. Browner, who is 6'-4" and about 220 or so, was rushing in towards Cam behind the line of scrimmage on an option play. Cam waited for Browner to make his move and commit to rushing him, and quickly tosses the ball outside, but Browner, as big as he is, was able to turn on a dime, get to the receiver just after the ball, reach in and literally just take that ball out of his arms for the turnover. Bigger guys can't always do this, but our guys seem to be very good at pursuit and power. It's a unique combination that makes our defense very tough to beat

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Premium talent at every level, including depth. Some of our 2nd stringers are starters for other teams. They have a rare combination of speed and size that is unmatched in the NFL history books. Our defensive backs are bigger than any combo in history, and they are nasty. Jason Whitten still drops passes because we put it in his head that as soon as he touches a ball, he's getting clocked. Ball Hawks, period. These guys not only hit hard, but 9 times out of 10, they are reaching in and taking the ball out of your hands as opposed to just putting you on your ass. They are a brotherhood, and they feed off each other. Sometimes I feel like they will evoke a penalty just to prove that it won't matter. It's just different than anything I've ever seen on our field before, and I don't see any defenses out there now either that are as abnormal as this group.

OP
OP
E

East Coast Offense

Reaction score
4 - 3 I take it.

How have they faired vs the no huddle? The Pats have been using Oregon's offense this season. Does Seattle substitute like most defenses to keep players fresh?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
When run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense. We line up like a 4-3 but our DL is more like 3-4 personel. Our pass rushing DE's are undersized at about 240-250lbs and Big Red is a 330lb DE. We have a very motivted DL who give 110% and cause alot of havoc in the backfield and collapse the pocket. We have two 6'3+ corners who love to play press and are very physical, not only do they do that well they are confident and can be left alone allowing our super speedy FS Earl Thomas to play centerfield. Our SS is huge at 6'3 230 and once he lays the boom WR's & TE's seem to hear footsteps. Our LB's are not spectacular but get the job done. KJ Wright is huge in a lanky kind of way, he looks like a DE but have speed and quickness of a much smaller man. Our defense is aggressive and tackles very well.

O-LineFan

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers tried the whole no-huddle thing for the first half of the game against the Seahawks. resulted in 8 or 9 sacks. hopefully brady can move within the pocket decently on sunday or they'll be dragging him out of the Clink.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My non X's and O's eyes says it's their unique combination of size, speed and NASTINESS that separates them from any other defense in the NFL.

OP
OP
E

East Coast Offense

Reaction score
This will be a battle

NE Offense
1st TDs
1st Yards per game
1st Points per game
3rd Rushing yards
8th Passing yards

Seattle Defense
1st TDs
1st Yards per game
2nd Points per game
4th Rushing yards
6th Passing yards

sam1313

Reaction score
East Coast Offense":2u5zog39 said:
This will be a battle

NE Offense
1st TDs
1st Yards per game
1st Points per game
3rd Rushing yards
8th Passing yards

Seattle Defense
1st TDs
1st Yards per game
2nd Points per game
4th Rushing yards
6th Passing yards

That just about says it all right there. What a match up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No weaknesses, that's what makes this defense unique. In the past we've been strong at certain positions, but there was always a glaring weakness. Not anymore, we have speed, quickness and nasty everywhere.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q64j02k said:
No weaknesses, that's what makes this defense unique. In the past we've been strong at certain positions, but there was always a glaring weakness. Not anymore, we have speed, quickness and nasty everywhere.

3rd down is still the weakness IMO.

OP
OP
E

East Coast Offense

Reaction score
O-LineFan":37fy9jcs said:
Aaron Rodgers tried the whole no-huddle thing for the first half of the game against the Seahawks. resulted in 8 or 9 sacks. hopefully brady can move within the pocket decently on sunday or they'll be dragging him out of the Clink.

NEs no huddle is different than GBs. One word plays called at the line as fast as NE can line back up. Its like the 2 minute offense.

GB doesnt run the ball well IMO. They put it all on Rodgers shoulders.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":5hmg803q said:
Sgt. Largent":5hmg803q said:

Agreed. I was talking personnel, not scheme or specific overall deficiencies. In the end though, giving up points is all that counts, and the Hawks D is #1 in that category.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":2ztwm2oj said:

I think that's more because they go to a soft zone and rely too much on a 3 or 4 man rush to generate pressure. That's more a scheme thing than talent. Wouldn't be surprised to see the team take it up a notch on the aggressive side to alleviate this problem.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I can't wait for this matchup. I respect the tar out of the Pats offense, their coach's ability to scheme, and Tom Brady.

This is a game that is going to really let us know where our D is. Back in our Super Bowl run, there were certain things throughout the season that proved that team up. I've never been so calm following a team as that one. I loved the evolution of that team and that season.

This team has to go through that process and the Pats are perfect to match up against at this point.

I can't wait until we have a game that we win easily (i.e. offense gets it going). These nail-biters are taking years off of my life...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
East Coast Offense":397rpsyp said:
NEs no huddle is different than GBs. One word plays called at the line as fast as NE can line back up. Its like the 2 minute offense.

GB doesnt run the ball well IMO. They put it all on Rodgers shoulders.

To be fair, where it's been really effective is at Gillette where the crowd noise is obviously going to be a lot quieter.

I think the no huddle plays right into the strengths of the Seahawk defense.. they feed off the crowd noise and after awhile could tee off on Brady.

With Hernandez coming back, I expect to see more 2 TE looks with you guys trying to establish the running game (no easy feat against this D though, as they're 3rd against the run).

Going to be a very fun matchup.

CANHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1z5obo5f said:
Wenhawk":1z5obo5f said:
Our LB's are not spectacular but get the job done.

people need to stop saying this. Our LBs are quietly a very good unit.

No doubt. KJ Wright is playing Pro Bowl good right now at Sam and Bobby Wagner is going to be really special (and this game is going to be a great test for him). Leroy is playing some of the most consistent ball of his life I think and has been a huge stabilizing factor on the entire defense. The LB corps isn't the "jewel of the defense" the way it was back in the Hill/Tatupu/Petersen days, but they are still an above average unit.

Latest posts