Question for Hawk fans...

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Hey I dont see to much about the Hawks at all over here in NH, but I was wondering something...

Did Wilson play that well in the rpeeseason or was Flynn that BAD in the preseason wilson got the job?? 9I mean you guys went out and paid big bucks get Flynn so I am just wondering how Wilson was able win the job before game 1 even happened.)

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Flynn was underwhelming, Wilson was exciting and moved the ball. In short, Wilson took the job from him by playing better according to the coaches.

OP
OP
P

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
lol ok, do you see the Hawks trying to trade one of these two QB's in the offseason? (be silly have such a high salary for a back up QB.)

Steve2222

Reaction score
Flynn wasnt underwhelming in the preseason. He played fine. Russell Wilson just looked phenomenal.

Lithium

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":2t8nr54q said:
lol ok, do you see the Hawks trying to trade one of these two QB's in the offseason? (be silly have such a high salary for a back up QB.)

who knows, yeah he has a high salary but wilson has a low salary for a starter so it balances out, and you could always use a good back-up

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":3gkun5zf said:

Completely dependant on RW's play. If RW regresses in the next few games... Flynn could become the starter. Many fans here have already demanded that.

To say its been a contentious topic of conversation among the fan base would be an understatement.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
Its a nice problem to have, even though Flynn is getting big bucks. Unless he demands a trade or something, i'd like to keep him. RW could still miss games with an injury (knock on wood).

CANHawk

Reaction score
Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special". After the last few years, I'd have been happy as anything to have that kind of QB.

But Russell Wilson looked like he had the potential to be so much more than that, and still does IMO. But he's a rookie QB who's going to go through the rookie QB learning curve, which is where we find ourselves. Barring anything horrible, I can see Rusty having a pretty damn good career, full of playoff runs and pro-bowls.

SilNWest

Reaction score
CANHawk":21diav3w said:
Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special". After the last few years, I'd have been happy as anything to have that kind of QB.

But Russell Wilson looked like he had the potential to be so much more than that, and still does IMO. But he's a rookie QB who's going to go through the rookie QB learning curve, which is where we find ourselves. Barring anything horrible, I can see Rusty having a pretty damn good career, full of playoff runs and pro-bowls.

Read this explanation and all but ignore the others... It was quite the polarizing issue so everyone tends to have a biased opinion. Also, Flynns contract wasn't that big, especially after the first year. He'll make about 5 mill next year and then 6 the year after if we keep him through the next 2, so he could be an interesting trade possibility. That is only if Russell Wilson holds onto the job, plays well, AND we can get another backup quarterback who won't be huge drop off from Flynn.

Loud & Proud

Reaction score
Russel outplayed Flynn in the preseason and showed the potential to be special. In addition the coaches and players said his work ethic, film study and leadership qualities tipped the scales in his favor. During camp we heard the praise about how he's the first here, last to leave and is out-studying everyone in the film room.

I tend to agree that Flynn's future is based on Wilson's progress, but while Flynn is higher paid...The FO only guaranteed that money for two years, so from a business standpoint he is a value and we did not over spend for him even as a back-up IMO.

OP
OP
P

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
I ask about the trade possibility because a team say Like Buffalo could give up as much as a 1st rounder to get Flynn (or at least a 2nd rounder) and while the hawks are vastly improved every team could use another high 2nd round pick or even earlier first round pick.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
CANHawk":1bg0tpsg said:
Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special".

Canadians must have a different definition for "underwhelming" because you just hit it on the head with your description of Flynn.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":2bhv7m82 said:

It'll be hard to trade Flynn, IMO. There wasn't much of a market this off-season for the unproven quarterback and next year's might just be worse considering how many teams are seemingly "set" with their veteran/young quarterbacks.

Flynn's contract is $5.25 million next year with $2 mil guaranteed. Too high to trade for as a backup and probably too high for teams looking for, at best, a two-way quarterback competition. Teams looking for an upgrade would do better looking to the draft.

I could see Flynn staying through 2013, but if Wilson is still the starter by then, Flynn is gone. It's excusable to pay that now (or next year) to backup a 1st year or 2nd year young player, but not for a 3rd year starter (where Flynn is set to make $6.25m).

chawx

Reaction score
Flynn did in the preseason what Wilson's doing in the regular season (ie. Moving the ball into FG range and then stalling in the Red Zone or having to punt on every drive.)

In the preseason though, Wilson was scoring on almost every drive (at first against 2nd team Defenses, then in games 3 and 4 of the preseason, he did it against 1st team defenses) and looked phenomenal with a bajillion gallons of potential.

Therefore, it stands to reason then that if Flynn was behind center in the regular season, he would either be doing the same as Wilson or worse.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3sg851d3 said:
CANHawk":3sg851d3 said:
Flynn definately wasn't underwhelming IMO. He seemed to be a very capable game managing "dink n dunk", "take whats there" type of QB, which is not a bad thing. He seemed to be able to take care of the ball and hit the open guy for a decent gain, but that's all he looked like. He looked like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel, who aren't bad quarterbacks by any stretch, but they aren't "special".

Canadians must have a different definition for "underwhelming" because you just hit it on the head with your description of Flynn.

Maybe Flynn was just "whelming" and not over or under.

I think a word people have used in this thread applies. Wilson looked special, like he had a playmaking element to his game that just didn't seem to be there with Flynn. I recall back in the preseason someone saying that Flynn played capably and efficiently, but that he was uninspiring. That summed up my views on it, too.