The Patriots Defense

Seeker

Reaction score
The Patriots defensive rankings would strongly suggested a weakness to the pass and a team you don't want to run against. But when you look at the rushing rank of the teams they faced you see that two of them where against two of the worst running teams in the league in Titans (30th) and Cards (31st). The other three (bills, broncos, ravens) were all legitimate running teams but look at this.

Bills: 52 - 28 Pretty obvious they were passing here. I would two if i was letting someone throw up a Patrick Willis jersey on me.

Broncos: 31 - 21 another shootout, the broncos only had 20 attempts in this game.

Ravens: 31 - 30 LOSS but still more points required than what I have seen the offense do.

The point is this is NOT a defense to be feared. This is that guy in the corner of the club with the big beard, dark shades, tattoos, big arms, and if you punched him he would cry and tell the bartender.

looks are deceiving. If I were Pete I'd run it right through the A all day.

ParisPC07

Reaction score
I'm confident that Turbin and Lynch should be able to collaborate for good short yardage gains. Wilson looked good across the middle on Sunday in addition. I really think that time of possession is going to be huge for the Seahawks in this game so this information makes the wait until game day a lot easier.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The big matchup to watch will be Unger vs. Vince Wolfork. VW is a beast to block. It will be a big test of Unger along with our guards.

I think we'll be able to move it on them. The biggest key will be if we can captalize when were in the redzone and on 3rd down. I think it worth noting that last week we had a tremendous mix of run vs pass, that is until we hit the redzone and then it appeared we'd revert back to the conservative play calling - I suppose in an effort to reduce mistakes. We need some TD's in order win this game. Hopefully the offense will be able to execute better inside the 20.

Modest

Reaction score
Seeker":3h0x6kqe said:
The Patriots defensive rankings would strongly suggested a weakness to the pass and a team you don't want to run against. But when you look at the rushing rank of the teams they faced you see that two of them where against two of the worst running teams in the league in Titans (30th) and Cards (31st). The other three (bills, broncos, ravens) were all legitimate running teams but look at this.

Bills: 52 - 28 Pretty obvious they were passing here. I would two if i was letting someone throw up a Patrick Willis jersey on me.

Broncos: 31 - 21 another shootout, the broncos only had 20 attempts in this game.

Ravens: 31 - 30 LOSS but still more points required than what I have seen the offense do.

The point is this is NOT a defense to be feared. This is that guy in the corner of the club with the big beard, dark shades, tattoos, big arms, and if you punched him he would cry and tell the bartender.

looks are deceiving. If I were Pete I'd run it right through the A all day.

I sincerely, SINCERELY hope Pete goes with your game plan instead of testing our mediocre- bad secondary. The results will be- interesting- to say the least.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Stats never show the hole story, because if that was true, then the seahawks D is nothing to fear because the BEST O you faced was ranked 16th overall. But stats dont show the little things in each game for example: How you sacked Rogers 8 times, or how the Pats D didnt just stop CJ of the Titans but he averaged LESS than a yard a carry that game (he had 12 yards total!) or how they completly bottled up both Bills RB in the first half (and we were trailing at Half 14-7 so they were running!)

The Radish

Reaction score
I refuse to even discuss stats to decide who wins Sunday.

That's the trap we fell into prior to Arizona's game and look what happens with that.

I'm willing to listen to people talk about plays and/or players but don't try to tell me what stats tell me cause they tell us nothing!

:141847_bnono:

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1rnp3lhi said:
PatsFanNH":1rnp3lhi said:
Stats never show the hole story, because if that was true, then the seahawks D is nothing to fear because the BEST O you faced was ranked 16th overall. But stats dont show the little things in each game for example: How you sacked Rogers 8 times, or how the Pats D didnt just stop CJ of the Titans but he averaged LESS than a yard a carry that game (he had 12 yards total!) or how they completly bottled up both Bills RB in the first half (and we were trailing at Half 14-7 so they were running!)

Lynch is a singular talent in the NFL, and if you're not aware of that, I don't know what to say. The line excels at run-blocking, and Lynch breaks tackles, get's many yards after contact and is nigh impossible to bring down. I don't believe that his equal currently exists on any active roster in the NFL right now. The seahawks will be able to get rushing yards, so the Pats' best bet is to jump out to an early lead somehow and have the Seahawks passing more - which would appear to play right into the Pats' defensive weakness. this is going to be an interesting matchup for sure.

Umm Ray Rice, and the Ravens have a HECK of a lot more weapons on O than the Seahawks. Also Flacco>Wilson at least right now for sure. Truth is Pats contained Rice until Flacco made some amazing plays in the passing game to loosen it up..

Mind you i heard the same thing from Buffalo fans about Spiller and how he and fred were going run all over the Pats and how their D line would brutalize the Pats O line. Now I could see it happening again simply because the O line is hurting but we have IMO the best oline coach in the NFL.. he makes wine from vinegar I swear! lol

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Peach,

I hear ya, seems the teams are MIRROR images of eachother (Best o v best D in the NFL etc) The One advantage I see is BB over Carroll as HC but the home field would negate that somewhat.

It truly is a pick'em game.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The issue here isn't the Pats' defense and any perceived weaknesses against the run; it's that their offense is prolific enough to force the hand of the other team to pass the ball more just to catch up/keep up with them.

If - IF - we are successful on defense and shut Brady & Co. down like we did Rodgers & Co. and Romo & Co., we stand a good chance of being able to run against them successfully. If our defense gives up more points than they're used to giving up, our run game is jeopardized. Then we are forced to try and win on Wilson's arm, which is not at all what we want to do. We want to dictate the game pace, and that means dominating on defense right up front.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor,

Very true, very hard stay in a game plan if the other team is carving your D up. It should be a fun game to watch, the Old guard Pats O vs the New D titans of Seattle.

IMO I can see the Hawks being somewhat successful and keeping the Pats in the 20's BUT that means the Hawks O has score more than they usually do.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The Pats scored 30 or more 4 out of 5 games. The only decent defenses they've played against are the Broncos and the Cards. The Cards held them to 18 pts. In NE. The Broncos left their defense on the field way too long.

At home, with the best defense the Pats have faced all year, with a hurting oline, I don't think the odds favor them racking up tons of points. But our offense isn't known to rack up many points either, so it should be a really close, low scoring game. ie, just like every game we play except the Cowgirls.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Salish,

the AZ game was the WORST O performance I have seen by the Pats in years. In all honesty not sure if it was the AZ D or the Pats O just having a bad game (the play calling SUCKED!) they appear gotten better the last few weeks. BUT it all hinges on Mankins and Volmers health, as I said before hard replace any 2 starters on an Oline at one time never mind 1 Pro Bowler and one I think would be a Pro Bowler as well in Vollmer. If they are healthy should be a fun matchup all game, seeing who beats who etc.

Modest

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":341evf5q said:
The Pats scored 30 or more 4 out of 5 games. The only decent defenses they've played against are the Broncos and the Cards. The Cards held them to 18 pts. In NE. The Broncos left their defense on the field way too long.

At home, with the best defense the Pats have faced all year, with a hurting oline, I don't think the odds favor them racking up tons of points. But our offense isn't known to rack up many points either, so it should be a really close, low scoring game. ie, just like every game we play except the Cowgirls.

In a game with replacement officials. Who called back a game winning TD due to a phantom hold. After losing one of our star TEs who the entire gameplan was likely based on in only the 3rd offensive play of the game.

I'm also amazed you leave the Ravens out of the decent defense conversation.

Latest posts