New England's underrated Opportunistic Defense

knowledgeispower

Reaction score
Although teams have been able to pass against New England, that stat should be overlooked. The defense will give up yards through the air at times, but will also take the ball away. The patriot defensive players are always looking to strip the ball, force fumbles, get interceptions and etc, whatever they can do to cause turnovers. Examples are plays such as Sterling Moore knocking the ball away from Demeryius Thomas the first play against Denver, like he did on Lee Evans in the AFC Championship game last year. Another are the two forced fumbles that Rob Ninkovich cause while sacking Peyton Manning for one play, then stripping McGahee on another late in the game. Brandon Spikes is also pretty crafty at this two whenever the opportunity presents. And Vince Wilfork, is becoming legendary, making at least two huge game changing plays during the course of a game. They are very tough against the run with those huge defensive linemen and linebackers and stingy against the pass, even while giving up yards. The opposing offense will have to stay clear of sacks that are often stripped for fumbles while playing New England, ball security during run plays and disguised coverages while attempting to pass downfield. Also note that New England shutout Peyton Manning for almost the entire game without standout rookie Dont'a Hightower, and starting safety Steve Gregory who has been solid.

Devin McCourty - 3 INT's
Steve Gregory - 1 INT
Tavon Wilson - 2 INT's
Jerod Mayo - 1 INT
Vince Wilfork - 1 caused INT after hit
Sterling Moore - forced fumble and recovery
Rob Ninkovich - 2.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
Chandler Jones - 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles
Dont'a Hightower - 1 sack, fumble recovery for td

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I appreciate that you New England fans actually want to talk about football. Its refreshing.

I dont think anybody here expects this week to be an easy task on either side of the ball. New England's definatly a good team. Playing at home though in front of the 12th man does something magical for our team, so many of us are expecting a win in a tough, hard fought game.

iigakusei

Reaction score
How is Chandler Jones doing? From the few times I have watched the Pats he looked great.

Seeker

Reaction score
Marshawn-Lynch-300x200.jpg

Hamhawk

Reaction score
The thing I worry most about playing the Pats is Belichick's way of game planning to make the opposing QB look pretty awful at times,...a rookie like RW may have a hard time on Sunday

Modest

Reaction score
iigakusei":3egcr1th said:
How is Chandler Jones doing? From the few times I have watched the Pats he looked great.

Originally most of us thought Chandler was going to be a raw project when we drafted him. Then he looked amazing in the preseason. And then, he continued to look amazing in the regular season as a starter which is pretty astounding. I think his performance has been diminished by the few weeks we had the inept replacement officials because Oher was allowed to hold him all game including full on chokeholds that went uncalled. I only wish Ninkovich could get equivalent pressure from the other side but that's not happening.

Our front 7 is very very good. Our run defense is stout but then again so was the 49ers last year and Lynch still ran through their line and instantly atomized 4 of their linemen for a TD. Our defensive backfield is laughable. Mccourty goes from good to a PI machine in a matter of plays. Arrington is average. The safeties Chung and and Gregory are average though Chung is a liability in coverage. In the Denver game, one of our best looking CBs was actually 7th round draft pick Alfonzo Dennard, whose stock plummeted because he slapped a cop at a club prior to the draft. Dennard actually did something it seems our secondary is coached not to do- LOOK FOR THE #$%^@#%$ BALL WHILE YOU'RE COVERING THE RECEIVER. Sorry, its frustrating.

Who knows who wins this one. The Pats are notorious for losing at least one 'wtf' game every season but I'm hoping we've already gotten that out of the way with the heavily referee assisted Cardinals loss. All I know is I want you guys to roflstomp the 49ers for the division since I have an annoying bandwagoner 49er friend.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Modest":1nek7qpr said:
Who knows who wins this one. The Pats are notorious for losing at least one 'wtf' game every season but I'm hoping we've already gotten that out of the way with the heavily referee assisted Cardinals loss. All I know is I want you guys to roflstomp the 49ers for the division since I have an annoying bandwagoner 49er friend.

If the Patriots consider the trip to Seattle to be a "WTF" type of game on their schedule, then they've already lost. The Seahawks almost always look like World Champions at home. The road, not-so-much. The 12th Man is a real deal up here that is hard to quantify. If the opponents don't respect it coming in, they sure as heck do when they leave.

It should be a great game and a true test for our #1 defense versus the #1 offense. Looking forward to it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
peachesenregalia":fummapt5 said:
I'm going to say this again for all of the Pats fans coming in to talk football and who I must say have been fairly cool for the most part so far:

If you haven't seen this Seattle Defense for a full game yet, you're going to shit your pants on Sunday. I say this without so much as a scintilla of hyperbole. You will soil yourselves. this Defense is that good, and have been consistently this good in every game so far this year.

Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Keep it a surprise! People love surprises. :snack:

SirTed

Reaction score
The highs and lows on this board kill me.

One week were talking about benching the QB and firing the OC, and the HC down the line if he doesn't figure it out, etc.

Then the next, it's practically a lock that the Seahawks are going to beat the Pats.

Back on topic:

The Patriots defense scares me, and has always scared me for the very reason stated in the subject of this thread. As far as the Pats go, you can basically throw the stats out the window. Last against the pass, blah blah blah. None of that will matter if BB can scheme, and figure out how to take advantage of Wilson. That's what makes him the best (I hate him).
And even if guys like McCourtney and IMO, especially Chung give up some yards, they always seem to make plays. And Wilfork, jeebus. I can't lie, this game scares me. It's totally winnable, but we'll have to play a great game to do it.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
SirTed,

I agree either team could win this game, I think Seatle needs it more to stay on pace with the Cards and 49ers and the Pats worse case is being tied for first with 5 division games to go.

What scares any HONEST pats fan about this game is the health of Volmer and Mankins on our O line if they are healthy and play I am VERY confident if they cant I am worried for Brady's safety. (Not easy for ANY team replace 2 oline starters never mind a PRO BOWL starter and a very good oneas well in Volmer)

NYCoug

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":25wllohu said:
SirTed,

I agree either team could win this game, I think Seatle needs it more to stay on pace with the Cards and 49ers and the Pats worse case is being tied for first with 5 division games to go.

What scares any HONEST pats fan about this game is the health of Volmer and Mankins on our O line if they are healthy and play I am VERY confident if they cant I am worried for Brady's safety. (Not easy for ANY team replace 2 oline starters never mind a PRO BOWL starter and a very good oneas well in Volmer)

Ahhh, Pats fans fearing for the safety of Tom Brady.. now that's a beautiful thing. Nothing could be better than watching Brady have an "Aaron Rodgers" day this coming Sunday. Except for a W of course. How bout we do both?!

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":35v5resc said:
PatsFanNH":35v5resc said:
SirTed,

Get your depends ready, my friend.

LOL I am not afraid, get your hankies ready... because if Our oline is healthy I see a 30 spot being dropped on the Hawks. :p (just a little fun smack talk but I could see them doing that Pats O is that good.)

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
NYCoug":1azlhz6g said:
PatsFanNH":1azlhz6g said:
SirTed,

Ahhh, Pats fans fearing for the safety of Tom Brady.. now that's a beautiful thing. Nothing could be better than watching Brady have an "Aaron Rodgers" day this coming Sunday. Except for a W of course. How bout we do both?!

More likely see a NORMAL Tom Brady day 24 of 30 for 300 yards 3 TD :p but I only fear for him IF our oline is down...

sam1313

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":3sdamq0d said:
peachesenregalia":3sdamq0d said:
PatsFanNH":3sdamq0d said:
SirTed,

Get your depends ready, my friend.

LOL I am not afraid, get your hankies ready... because if Our oline is healthy I see a 30 spot being dropped on the Hawks. :p (just a little fun smack talk but I could see them doing that Pats O is that good.)

If your offense can put up 30 points on our D, the Pats will likely win this game. By half time, however, I think you will be happy if they can put up 20-25 points.

I really wish some of you could experience the Clink for yourselves. You would be awestruck.

NYCoug

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":3su9u1zl said:
NYCoug":3su9u1zl said:
PatsFanNH":3su9u1zl said:
SirTed,

More likely see a NORMAL Tom Brady day 24 of 30 for 300 yards 3 TD :p but I only fear for him IF our oline is down...

Oh I'm sure Brady will get his. He'll also do his NORMAL complaining to the refs whenever a Seahawk so much looks at him funny. You best believe that guys like Browner and Clemons are licking their chops. This defense plays with a TON of confidence. About the same level of confidence the Patriots offense operates with. They will not second guess themselves or have any fear. I wonder if you'll be able to say the same about your skill players and Mr. Brady after Kam Chancellor plants em in to the CLink turf a few times. Alligator arms? The "Witten's" if you will? :twisted:

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
[
Get your depends ready, my friend.[/quote]

LOL I am not afraid, get your hankies ready... because if Our oline is healthy I see a 30 spot being dropped on the Hawks. :p (just a little fun smack talk but I could see them doing that Pats O is that good.)[/quote]

If your offense can put up 30 points on our D, the Pats will likely win this game. By half time, however, I think you will be happy if they can put up 20-25 points.

I really wish some of you could experience the Clink for yourselves. You would be awestruck.[/quote]

I am basing this off history, ONLY the Ravens past D (The BEST in the league for what 10 years?) kept the Pats under 30 and even then was mid 20's most of the time. IMO your O will need score a min of 24 points to win. I could be wrong, have been before (i am use to it I am married lol)

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
NYCoug,

~~sigh~~ Yes because the seahawks front 4 are scarier than Suggs and the Ravens front 4 from years past or your LBers scarier thanRay Lewis and your safeties and cb scarier than Reed and Co.. Sigh... Brady will get sacked but he will also put points on the Board. the Hawks O needs score roughly 24 points to win MINIMUM.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm confident in the TEAM'S ability to score 24 points. Whether it be straight offense, defensive TD's, special team's TD's.. 24 is a very attainable number.

And yes, our DB's are best in the league. I think as good as Reed and co. even though he's a safety, but I see what you mean. I'll definitely take this secondary over any other secondary in the league right now though. This is a violent bunch. I'm already preparing myself for the 10 inevitable personal fouls they'll draw for hitting your boy Brady too hard.

To get back to the point of this thread. Part of the reason why the Patriots defense can be so opportunistic is because a large portion of the time teams are playing from behind, trying to play catch up. That leads to more recklessness with the football and eventually, more turnovers. I think it's a decent defense, possibly in the upper half of the league, but it certainly has it's flaws and limitations.

niveky

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":13v0c43t said:
NYCoug,

~~sigh~~ Yes because the seahawks front 4 are scarier than Suggs and the Ravens front 4 from years past or your LBers scarier thanRay Lewis and your safeties and cb scarier than Reed and Co.. Sigh... Brady will get sacked but he will also put points on the Board. the Hawks O needs score roughly 24 points to win MINIMUM.

no matter who wins or loses....this being a game against one of the NFL media darlings in the Pats....you and anyone else who had similar thoughts to this or basically just brushing aside this Hawks defense due to various factors such as unfamiliarity/comparison to KNOWN big names from other teams/just plain ignorance are going to be on notice for the rest of the year for what this defense truly brings to the table and the fire and intensity with which they are going to lay into opposing offenses all season long...and hopefully many more to come.

NYCoug

Reaction score
niveky":mixo5z0m said:
PatsFanNH":mixo5z0m said:
NYCoug,

no matter who wins or loses....this being a game against one of the NFL media darlings in the Pats....you and anyone else who had similar thoughts to this or basically just brushing aside this Hawks defense due to various factors such as unfamiliarity/comparison to KNOWN big names from other teams/just plain ignorance are going to be on notice for the rest of the year for what this defense truly brings to the table and the fire and intensity with which they are going to lay into opposing offenses all season long...and hopefully many more to come.

Well said. Not to mention the fire and intensity that the 12th Man are going to bring to the table. It'll be unlike anything the Patriots have seen or will see this year, you can count on that.

Also niveky, you've got the greatest avator EVER! I love that thing, hilarious!

Latest posts