The Pats are likely to neutralize our defense.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Seattle will need to look like the Green Bay/Carolina games on defense and the Dallas second half on offense in order to beat the Patriots. The Hoodie will try to dink-and-dunk us to death in order to neutralize our pass rush, and he has the QB to do it, so we'll just have to shorten the clock and answer their drives. We've definitely got a chance, but that's the formula.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    *snip*

In contrast, the Seahawks defense ...
    Has given up the 4th fewest yards (1103)
    Is tied with Detroit for the 9th fewest Passing Yards/Game given up (213.0)
    Is ranked #2 in fewest Rushing Yards/Game allowed [62.8]
    and is 2nd in fewest points allowed (58, which is only 2 points -- our safety today -- behind Houston for a share of the #1 Spot).

Houston plays tonight, so Seattle might move into the #1 scoring position by the end of the night.

I also agree with Montana above. The Patriots are going to put up a couple scores on our defense, even at home. I don't think they're going to get to their normal 30 spot, but we are going to need the offense to show up and keep Brady off the field. Also, we're going to face our stiffest test in the run game as Ridley and Bolden are apparently capable of insane games.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I think the Hawks need to play the "keep away" game. Executing and getting first downs. Move the ball slowly and POUND Lynch. Don't give up on that run. If it means Wilson has a few designed runs, so be it, but keep the game close and get Brady pressured. Brady won't wuss out, but he will throw the ball into coverage under pressure.

I say beat down on Brady also, make him work for everything.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I think that the defense can play well against the Pats, but it will be hard to keep them under 20 points. Will the offense be able to keep the hawks in the game? I have my doubts
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• The pats tend to struggle against teams with a good pass rush and Brady is not a mobile QB.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

• Just a couple things that stick out in my mind with this upcoming game. Last year, Brady had a horrific game against the Bills. I believe he threw 4 interceptions and the Bills ended up winning. One of the biggest upsets last season. The Patriots use the no huddle offense quite a bit. Since this game is at the Clink, I think it will be down right impossible for them to run it with how loud we are.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

• I am quite sure the Patsies are dreading coming to Seattle to face #12 and the 11+ on that defense. Yeah, they will watch film and try to exploit whatever weaknesses they think they see, but whatever they draw up, they still must execute.

Hopefully the Hawks can do what they did yesterday on 3rd down, on BOTH sides of the ball.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Here is how I see it.

QB's - advantage Pats
    RB's- advantage Seahawks
    Receivers & TE's - advantage pats
    O line- wash
    D line - Seahawks
    Linebackers - Seahawks
    Corners - Seahawks
    Coaching - Pats

With the experience of Brady he will eat away the middle of the field with the big TE's.
    This will do two things, 1: move the ball down the field and 2: eat up the clock. I am predicting it will be quick drops and get rid of the ball. Thus no time to get to him. Three sacks at most. They saw what we did to GB and they will learn from the mistakes GB made in the first half. Once NE gets 10 points on the board and RW has to play from behind and play catch up, it's done. I would love to see a pure dominating performance from our D but I Wouldn't bet on it. They will be on the field for too long and become tired like GB did to them in the 2nd half of that game.
    bingotown
    NET Rookie

• I was nervous about the Green Bay game but I remember seeing a stat about Green Bay's schedule last year that seemed anecdotal at the time but now I'm thinking was pretty damn solid proof the Pack are a bit of a mirage. Green Bay didn't play one top 10 defense in 2011, they amassed all those stats and wins against lower tier defenses. I'm wondering if that is the same for Tom Brady and company this season.

I still give the Pat's a little benefit of the doubt as they were in the Superbowl last season, and played almost well enough to win, but I would be way more worried about playing the Texans. Plus, we're at home, it's uphill for other teams to win here. I can see Seattle losing but seeing them winning doesn't seem far fetched.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Brady's already played Arizona and Baltimore (gives up a lot of yards but not points).
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• oasis wrote:Unfortunately, I would say the Pats and broncos are the only offenses in my opinion that can beat our D handily. Our D is designed with big DB's to overpower the downfield threats of the NFL. But with teams that specialize in short-game efficiency, I feel they can pick us apart. Remember the preseason game when Peyton Manning had those drives where he was able to move downfield at will? It's the same concept.

Therefore, I would say
    -we are heavy underdogs next week, even at home
    -the only way we can beat them is in either a shootout, or in playing "keep-away" or whatever you call it when we try to keep the ball away...

Totally disagree. The Pat's offense is the same spread offense that the Packers run, with similar amazing QB's.

Our DB's are the EXACT TYPE of DB's you want to stop the spread attack of the Patriots. Spread offenses are predicated on timing and mismatches. Our defense is perfect for disrupting spread offenses. On top of that we have the best run defense in the league, so everyone peeing all over the Pats new found run game can forget that nonsense on Sunday.

This game will be lost or won with our offense scoring. If we lose, it'll be a 10-3 or 16-10 type score where once again we couldn't generate enough offense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• I think the Hawks are going to play 3 safetys alot vs the Pats.Johnson is a key guy vs the Pats.
    canzag
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Seattle will need to look like the Green Bay/Carolina games on defense and the Dallas second half on offense in order to beat the Patriots. The Hoodie will try to dink-and-dunk us to death in order to neutralize our pass rush, and he has the QB to do it, so we'll just have to shorten the clock and answer their drives. We've definitely got a chance, but that's the formula.

I concur.
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• bestfightstory wrote:kearly is cool with us losing.

For some reason.

To be fair to him, the 2nd half of our schedule seems to be much easier than the first half. So a 3-4 start doesn't mean the team is out of contention. They could still rattle off 6 or 7 wins in their last 9.

That said, beating the Patriots would be a huge win. 4-2 going into a short week matchup against (IMO) the best team in football right now.

On paper the Seahawks should be a contender in the NFC, this game will reveal a lot about the 2012 Seattle Seahawks.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• If the current stats hold up, pending the outcome of tonight's Texans/Jets game, then it will the #1 total offense going against #1 total defense.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• oasis wrote:The Pats are likely to neutralize our defense.

Seattle's D is most likely going to neutralize the Pats, should be a game then right? and Brady might not last the entire game... ;)
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Seattle will need to look like the Green Bay/Carolina games on defense and the Dallas second half on offense in order to beat the Patriots. The Hoodie will try to dink-and-dunk us to death in order to neutralize our pass rush, and he has the QB to do it, so we'll just have to shorten the clock and answer their drives. We've definitely got a chance, but that's the formula.

Yeah. I think Pete is gameplanning this is exact formula.
    oasis
    NET Starter

• I was honestly more worried about the Packer's offense than the Patriots and our D calmed my fears. I'm not going to worry about this weekend until I have to based on results.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• I would not be surprised to see Brady have an empty backfield for at least a couple entire drives and running no huddle. I remember him doing it a few times against tough defenses like Pittsburgh and Baltimore and using Gronk/Hernandez like crazy.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• If you look at the teams who have beat the Patriots in the past, one thing they've all had in common are physical Ds with good pass rush.

That's how the Cards beat the min Foxboro...

Ravens, Steelers, Giants

We'll have a shot as long as we can put 3 TDs on the board.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:If you look at the teams who have beat the Patriots in the past, one thing they've all had in common are physical Ds with good pass rush.

That's how the Cards beat the min Foxboro...

Ravens, Steelers, Giants

We'll have a shot as long as we can put 3 TDs on the board.

Has this team done anything to make you think 3 offensive TDs is a reasonable expectation? Maybe if they can get a pick 6 or something...
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• The D may have the make up to stop the deep threat and run, but that's what GAME PLANNING is for. As long as Pete and Co. come up with a good scheme, there should be no reason not to have faith in the Defense. Back your team.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:I actually think we are well suited to beat the Pats offense except if they go hurry up the entire game. That is our only weakness. We are dependent on personnel switching to make our defense go. Otherwise we can stuff the run, disrupt the short passing game, cover the deep passes and rush the QB - but only if we have the right guys in.

Otherwise -

1) They have no deep threat.

2) Their offensive line is good but not great.

3) They are depending on their run game to get first downs.

4) Their wrs are susceptible to being bumped off the line.

If Hernandez plays it definitely creates a mismatch for us but I am sure that we will deal with it.

That will play a big part right there.Pats play as fast as any team I have ever seen in the NFL.I can see them catching us in unfavorable personell at times and really exploiting it or force us into our base d (which is pretty damn good)and making substitutions really tough.Could be tough getting our pass rushers into the game when we want to.I'm stoked to see how we match up could be a great chess match.I think we will need at least 20 points to win this game
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information