ESPN's new QBR tells it how it is with Wilson

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Wilson: 51.7

Newton: 15.1

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321007029

Remember, this is not the normal, outdated QB rating. This is not just a plug it into a formula QB rating, it's a watch the film and grade plays QB rating. Worst a QB can perform is 0. Best a QB can perform is 100. (no QB has achieved a 0 or 100, but has gotten close) Average is 50. 65 is pro bowler. Like 75 or something is all-pro.

So Wilson played slightly above average today. But guys, just think of how it would have been if Wilson didn't attempt that ugly pick 6, I'll bet his rating would be in the 60's.

rideaducati

Reaction score
QBR is subjective. What some guy "thinks" about the QB plays into the QBR. If you were to take the exact same stats for Wilson today and just change his name to Tom Brady, his QBR would be higher.

ivotuk

Reaction score
rideaducati":3klyp8rq said:
QBR is subjective. What some guy "thinks" about the QB plays into the QBR. If you were to take the exact same stats for Wilson today and just change his name to Tom Brady, his QBR would be higher.

You are way off on this one bud. QBR is legit. It does things like not counting the Lynch "fumble-ception" as Kearly calls it. They're having some trouble getting it accepted universally so I don't think they would dare allow any sembelance of unfairness.

Personally, I like the QBR but they both have their place in football.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
rideaducati":2vpqltrg said:

Come up with some actual evidence and I may believe you.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Thank god RW3 didn't have to play against his own defense.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":35fivuzx said:
So Wilson played slightly above average today. But guys, just think of how it would have been if Wilson didn't attempt that ugly pick 6, I'll bet his rating would be in the 60's.

It'd also be higher if Giacomini's holding penalty hadn't wiped out that 56-yard pass in the first quarter.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I couldnt care less about QB ratings. If we won i wouldnt care if he had a 10 or a 90. I dont need some formula to tell me when a QB is playing well or not, and Wilson played a pretty good game today and Newton played like poo. That was obvious just from watching the game, not from plugging numbers into an equation.

Largent80

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2a917exq said:
hawksfan515":2a917exq said:

It'd also be higher if Giacomini's holding penalty hadn't wiped out that 56-yard pass in the first quarter.

DING DING DING....We HAVE a Winner.......

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
QBR is based off of Football Outsider's DVOA for QB's. Its still not perfect, it doesn't take quite as many things into account as DVOA does and its not weighted quite the same but its not bad. ESPN worked with the FO guys to develop it.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2klysbb7 said:
I couldnt care less about QB ratings. If we won i wouldnt care if he had a 10 or a 90. I dont need some formula to tell me when a QB is playing well or not, and Wilson played a pretty good game today and Newton played like poo. That was obvious just from watching the game, not from plugging numbers into an equation.

1, they watch the game with this rating, not plugging numbers into an equation. Guess I didn't make that clear enough.

And at ShadowHawk, I think they might have counted that. Not sure though.