Rivera - horrible call going for a TD

endzorn

Reaction score
Carroll just did it against Green Bay and we failed. Fortunately we got the ball back and Tate cleanly caught a winning TD.

The Radish

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":9ra72zz4 said:
What a horsesh*t call. Down by 6, and you go for a TD on 4th and goal?

Bad. Bad. Bad.

Thanks, Ron!

You're just pissed cause you can't berate Pete for calling that fake punt in the end zone at the end of the game.

If not for Browner being big and hitting bigger it would have worked..

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The way our D, and Cam Newton, were playing I think it was the right call. Odds are they werent going to get another chance to get down to that side of the field.

While I think it was the right decision to go for it I think it was a terrible play call. I would have just ran Newton right up the middle, or right over the top of the line.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
god I'm glad it didn't work. They were |..........................................| far away.

kearly

Reaction score
I liked the decision, but didn't like the call. Even against Seattle's awesome run defense in a goal line formation, it's really hard to defend the run from half a yard out. Carolina has good running backs too.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think Rivera read too much into it, that the Hawks would be playing the run all out and that they could have stopped it in the backfield, that the pass was going to be there big.

How do you not run Newton, Stewart or Williams? I thought Newton was coming over the top and that Hill or Browner was going to meet him there, but still score. Oops

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":21vmg4or said:
I liked the decision, but didn't like the call. Even against Seattle's awesome run defense in a goal line formation, it's really hard to defend the run from half a yard out. Carolina has good running backs too.
Yep. Tolbert weighs like 250. Hand him the ball.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
We stopped Kam on that the scramble, so I guess that got into Rivera's head. I think Kam woulda got hurt had he tried to take it in. ;-)

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
It was absolutely the right call. 4th and 1 gets converted an average of 68% of the time in the NFL. Mathematically there's a significant edge to trying to get the extra four points then and there.

Even if you assume that the strength of our defense pushes their odds down from being a 2:1 favorite to make it in to being something worse, they'd actually have to be worse than a 2:1 dog to get in for it to be a wrong decision. There's no way they were that.

HawkWow

Reaction score
It was a bonehead play by Newton. The cardinal rule in a 4th down situation (such as this)is to put the ball where your receiver has a chance. Even if the play ends with an INT. Instead, Newton, perhaps more concerned with his stats or just momentarily stupid, threw the ball into the turf.

I actually liked the play call and had he zipped the ball in there like a big league QB might do, he likely would have completed it. "Superman" is still more show than go and our Hawks exposed, and exploited that, today. YAHTZEE!

HawkWow

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2i9m15ob said:
It was absolutely the right call. 4th and 1 gets converted an average of 68% of the time in the NFL. Mathematically there's a significant edge to trying to get the extra four points then and there.

Even if you assume that the strength of our defense pushes their odds down from being a 2:1 favorite to make it in to being something worse, they'd actually have to be worse than a 2:1 dog to get in for it to be a wrong decision. There's no way they were that.

Spot on.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Carolina had not held Seattle to a 3 and out one single time. Rivera knew that. His decision was validated when Marshawn gashed him for that first down to run the clock.

It was the right call.

jewhawk

Reaction score
Going for the TD was 100% the right call. It's not even close to a kicking situation. The play call was horrible, though. They have a 6'6" athletic freak at QB. Snap the ball, jump to the top of the pile, and stick the ball forward, and they score almost always. Instead they chose to roll out and try to throw into arguably the league's best coverage defense.

aku

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1s3mmdt4 said:
It was absolutely the right call. 4th and 1 gets converted an average of 68% of the time in the NFL...
Completely agree. Throw in the fact that it very nearly worked and I think it was obviously the right call. They needed six points, not three. Going for it on 4th down pinned us at our own 1, and had Lynch not turned on Beast Mode to pick up the first down on 3rd and 7, they were looking at some very good field position after a punt. Otherwise they kick a FG, (ideally) force a 3-and-out, and get the ball back near their own 10 with ~1:60 remaining and no timeouts. Given that we didn't have a 3-and-out all day, not a great plan.

In the same situation, I'd rather take my chance with a play I know my team should convert than put the game in the other team's hands.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Definitely the right call. Cam should have made a better pass and RW would have been forced to get our team into field goal position.

Also, I watched almost every game of Carolina last year (had Cam on my fantasy team), and they were rarely stopped on 4th and 1. They usually went shotgun SkyCAM.

You could say he should have made a different play call but it was definitely the correct decision.

Latest posts