Random Thoughts™ on the Panthers game

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:"love fest?" Can the hyperbole get any worse? All I see is people liking whatever bright spot they saw. Yes, the performance wasn't very good overall, but going from 'terrible' to 'bad' is progression, is it not?

    You say it is hyperbole but I argue that "wasn't very good" is a major understatement. Our offense scored 13 points and cost us 7, for a net of +6 points over simply punting the ball every time. This was against arguably the weakest secondary we will face this season. If our defense was borderline top 10 then we would be 1-4 or 0-5 right now.

    HawKnPeppa wrote:My theory is that posts of this nature are written while sucking on a lemon.

    Sorry, I missed the memo where I am supposed to be happy that our offense nearly cost us one of the better defensive performances I have ever seen from this team.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2324
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • I'm finding more and more reasons to chalk up our offensive woes to penalties. They always seem to be happening during successful drives, which at least shows that we're stringing 1st downs together. Who knows where Wilson's stats would be without excruciatingly timely penalties?
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11527
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'm finding more and more reasons to chalk up our offensive woes to penalties. They always seem to be happening during successful drives, which at least shows that we're stringing 1st downs together. Who knows where Wilson's stats would be without excruciatingly timely penalties?


    Good point. You could probably add +50 to Wilson's passing yardage and maybe another TD, at least, if the Breno holding call was missed.

    What would that do to his passer rating I wonder?
    User avatar
    Dreo
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 320
    Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:35 pm


  • AgentDib wrote:I don't understand the love fest for our offense. We played better than last week but our improvement was from terrible to bad.

    Today our defense held Carolina to a single field goal despite three turnovers by our offense and special teams. They also contributed three points, with the strip fumble that gave our offense the ball in field goal position. Despite this complete dominance we won by a mere four points. How are so many people happy with that?

    The offensive performance was much better than the scoreboard shows. The offense was generally productive, but some fluky plays went against us that stalled drives:
    -Our biggest gain of the day was wiped out by an unnecessary holding penalty. Instead of 1st down in the red zone, we had 1st and 20 in bad field position.
    -Our biggest run of the day was wiped out by a non-existent (or called against the wrong player) holding penalty. Instead of 1st down near midfield, we had 2nd and 10 in bad field position.
    -The interception on the Lynch bobble was when we were already in field goal range.

    The offense had zero 3-and-outs, so even when drives stalled, we gave Carolina terrible field position throughout the game. The passing offense averaged 7.9 NY/A. Rice, Baldwin, and Miller all had season highs in yards and receptions, and Tate had another decent game. Wilson completed 76% of his passes for 8.8 Y/A despite his longest completion being wiped out by an unnecessary penalty. Those drive killers were fluke plays more than poor execution, but if the players continue to play like they did today those types of fluke plays will even out eventually.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 551
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:39 pm


  • I agree that our offense would have played a lot better if not for the penalties and interceptions. However, can you really label them as flukes at this point? Holding, false starts, and personal foul calls have been a consistent theme for our offensive line this season.

    Maybe posters feel better about our offense than I do because they can more easily envision those mistakes going away. You can improve in any area, though, and I don't see why a problem with penalties is better than problems elsewhere.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2324
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Well, AD, the hold on Breno was legit, the one on Okung was shit, and the one on Obo was lame. Were there any false starts today? The personal foul on Clemons was at least a 3 point swing, and since we would have gotten the ball back at about the 40 with more than two minutes, might have been an even bigger swing. the illegal contact on BB was big, and for the first time, RW called a time out rather than get a delay of game.

    There is improvement, but our team is still learning what it means to bring smart physicality. But, they are getting better.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11666
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • AgentDib wrote:I agree that our offense would have played a lot better if not for the penalties and interceptions. However, can you really label them as flukes at this point? Holding, false starts, and personal foul calls have been a consistent theme for our offensive line this season.

    It's not that penalties in general are flukes - notice I didn't include things like Giacomini's personal foul knocking us back 15 yards. The fluky aspect is that away from the ball penalties that didn't affect the play occurred on what would have been game changing plays. We had an unnecessary hold take away a 50+ yard pass. Carolina's offense had an unnecessary hold (Smith tackling Sherman on a run play to the opposite side of the field) wipe out a 2 yard gain. Even if the undisciplined penalties don't go away, they won't consistently happen at such inopportune times as they did in this game.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 551
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:39 pm


  • Carpenter had a false start when we were on our own 1 yard line but that wasn't a big deal to me. The holding was much more important (Breno, Okung, McQuistan, Obo) along with the personal fouls. I agree that Okung looked clean on the play he was whistled on, but I'll have to re-watch the game and see they didn't mix up the numbers before I blame that on the refs.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2324
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • I think a lot of fans forget how hard it's been for the Hawks to win on the east coast. This was a stellar performance by the Hawks to get this win.
    I'm In!


    What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3547
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • kearly wrote:


    Seattle plays two more games in the next 11 days, and they are probably the two toughest games remaining on Seattle's schedule (Patriots, @SF on 4 days rest). I don't know about you guys, but I'd be just fine with a 3-4 record so long as the Seahawks are competitive in both games. That said, they probably need a win in there somehow to feign contention. The NFC is crazy this year.



    kearly, what is it about you and your perpetual need to find reasons to accommodate losing that makes me want to piss all over your otherwise wonderful posts? If you aren't finding ways to actually advocate losing (Suck For Luck) you are waxing defeatist as above quoted. It's pretty maddening.


    The other thing I want to add as a Random Thought is Seattle should have only allowed ONE Carolina offensive play on our side of the 50 yard line in the first half. That being ET's dropped INT on the drive that resulted in points. Incredible first half by our D.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • One of the most dominant defensive displays I've seen since we got the team. Offensively, sure, we looked better. Marginally better. But since we were up against a pretty poor team, we should look better, so the jury is still out with me on how much was improvement and how much was Panther suckage. The biggest thing we can do to improve offensively is find a replacement for Breno. He is KILLING us. It's like Green Bay is paying him to screw up at exactly the worst moments. Not just today, but all season.

    Mebane was a BEAST!!! Browner deserves the game ball, hands down. Oddly, the rushing game was sub par. Fortunately, sub par for the Hawks is still a pretty decent day running. If the refs aren't screwing us and Breno isn't screwing us, the offense probably gets at least 10 more points.

    It being an east coast game offsets the Panthers being a sucky defense, IMO, so - taking in account the refs and Breno - I'd say we looked okay on offense. It didn't feel like it at the time, but when you look at the stats and consider all the factors, if we can play like that the rest of the year, we're going to win a lot of games.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4873
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • bestfightstory wrote:kearly, what is it about you and your perpetual need to find reasons to accommodate losing that makes me want to piss all over your otherwise wonderful posts? If you aren't finding ways to actually advocate losing (Suck For Luck) you are waxing defeatist as above quoted. It's pretty maddening.


    You must be good at yoga. You are very good at stretching. 8)
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11409
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • kearly wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:kearly, what is it about you and your perpetual need to find reasons to accommodate losing that makes me want to piss all over your otherwise wonderful posts? If you aren't finding ways to actually advocate losing (Suck For Luck) you are waxing defeatist as above quoted. It's pretty maddening.


    You must be good at yoga. You are very good at stretching. 8)


    I understand yer trying to be modest here, but I don't think it's a stretch to say your posts are otherwise wonderful.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:Funny, because after the pick 6, I thought we would still win the game. Even after Marshawn's juggling act, I thought we would win. Our D was just not going to lose today.
    And, we were snakebit. Every penalty was a momentum killer.


    Did we even have a penalty that didn't wipe out a big gain? It seemed like every time we'd see a great pass for big yardage or a crucial 1st down, along came the penalties.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8329
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • When do we give some credit to the Panthers for playing some good ball too? The fumble on specials was well done, the bobble pick took some pretty good concentration and happened in pretty good coverage, and the pick was a bad throw, but the CB did take advantage, and his coverage was about as good as coverage as there can be when a little corner is covering a land mass. Luke Kuechly should have been the middle backer all along, he can run that defense. Their plan to keep Wilson from running was well thought out. As far as people saying we should have done better against that ranking of defense,we did. But penalized ourselves every big play, as Kip points out. And that defensive ranking is suspect, they played consecutive games against New York, New Orleans, and Atlanta. There are some players on that D.

    Also, I wanted to point out that the guy Kip calls 80's beard calls a real good NFL game. Tim Ryan always knows his facts, and his observation that it was Russell Wilson being afraid to make mistakes that was holding him back in the red zone was spot on. Tim calls games for the Niners in the pre-season, Played a few years in the league, played for USC, and is a radio host for Sirius NFL radio in the afternoons, and I think he, along with Lynch and Mayock, are the three best game callers there are right now. SOOOOOO much better than listening to Martz.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11666
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Awesome post. I would have liked to hear your specific thoughts on Breno and what the heck that guy is thinking/ vs what should be done if it continues. Seriously, I am starting to hate him. Real or not, these things are getting called on us. Both our longest run and pass called back on stupid penalties.
    Image
    User avatar
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2964
    Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 am
    Location: Omaha, NE


  • "Oh yes, and I liked the playcalling by Bevell today so much more than any of the previous weeks. He (with permission from Carroll) finally put a degree of trust on Wilson, and Wilson rewarded them for it. About time."

    This also made me happy :th2thumbs:
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3472
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


  • AgentDib wrote:I don't understand the love fest for our offense. We played better than last week but our improvement was from terrible to bad.

    Today our defense held Carolina to a single field goal despite three turnovers by our offense and special teams. They also contributed three points, with the strip fumble that gave our offense the ball in field goal position. Despite this complete dominance we won by a mere four points. How are so many people happy with that?


    A win is a win?
    Status: Active lieutenant in the 12th Man Army
    User avatar
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 723
    Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 am


  • One thing that was not brought up was the fact that the Panthers were #1 in Red Zone TD's % scored (mentioned by the game announcers.) They were 0-2 in the game.
    Image
    "Make good teams look bad and make bad teams look terrible!" -Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    BlueTalons
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1159
    Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:36 am
    Location: Spanaway, WA


  • Scottemojo wrote:Also, I wanted to point out that the guy Kip calls 80's beard calls a real good NFL game. Tim Ryan always knows his facts, and his observation that it was Russell Wilson being afraid to make mistakes that was holding him back in the red zone was spot on. Tim calls games for the Niners in the pre-season, Played a few years in the league, played for USC, and is a radio host for Sirius NFL radio in the afternoons, and I think he, along with Lynch and Mayock, are the three best game callers there are right now. SOOOOOO much better than listening to Martz.


    QFT. I remember commenting last year on how much Tim Ryan impressed me as a color commentator during my 17power post game write ups. There is almost never a detail he misses or an insight he fumbles.

    That plus he has a sweet beard. I wonder if he uses a tiny comb on it?
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11409
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • kearly wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Also, I wanted to point out that the guy Kip calls 80's beard calls a real good NFL game. Tim Ryan always knows his facts, and his observation that it was Russell Wilson being afraid to make mistakes that was holding him back in the red zone was spot on. Tim calls games for the Niners in the pre-season, Played a few years in the league, played for USC, and is a radio host for Sirius NFL radio in the afternoons, and I think he, along with Lynch and Mayock, are the three best game callers there are right now. SOOOOOO much better than listening to Martz.


    QFT. I remember commenting last year on how much Tim Ryan impressed me as a color commentator during my 17power post game write ups. There is almost never a detail he misses or an insight he fumbles.

    That plus he has a sweet beard. I wonder if he uses a tiny comb on it?

    Listening to him on Sirius, he is pretty vain and egotistical, so yeah, probably. Not only does he call a good game, during draft season him and Pat Kirawan are one of the best sources of information in the league.
    Last year, one of the things that impressed me was that before the season began, I saw and commented on TJ's struggles to throw the ball to the left. Then Ryan calls a game and highlights his struggles to throw to the left. Kinda made me feel like I wasn't totally stupid.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11666
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • I should check Sirius radio's podcasts more during the offseason.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11409
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • kearly wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Also, I wanted to point out that the guy Kip calls 80's beard calls a real good NFL game. Tim Ryan always knows his facts, and his observation that it was Russell Wilson being afraid to make mistakes that was holding him back in the red zone was spot on. Tim calls games for the Niners in the pre-season, Played a few years in the league, played for USC, and is a radio host for Sirius NFL radio in the afternoons, and I think he, along with Lynch and Mayock, are the three best game callers there are right now. SOOOOOO much better than listening to Martz.


    QFT. I remember commenting last year on how much Tim Ryan impressed me as a color commentator during my 17power post game write ups. There is almost never a detail he misses or an insight he fumbles.

    That plus he has a sweet beard. I wonder if he uses a tiny comb on it?


    Bar none Tim Ryan is my favorite on Sirius. The man recognizes that we got something cooking up here.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9783
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Tim Ryan is a rabid USC guy and Kirwan used to work with Pete for the Jets. They have very favorable views on this regime as a result, even when they have been critical of individual players (TJack). I like hearing their opinions on everything but due to that influence I like Carl Banks, Ross Tucker and Solomon Wilcots a bit more when it comes just to the Seahawks.

    Jim Miller (Chicago homer), and Rich Gannon (player advocate) are decent, but repetitive and you will always know how they are going to respond to a question before they do. It's never the player/QBs fault.

    I think everybody likes Adam Schein the least?
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2324
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Hawks46 wrote:I would call the Browner forced fumble the play of the game, just because he negated any YAC, got to the reciever early, then ripped the ball out, then recovered it himself. I really like how well he is playing this year; opposing QBs are rarely targetting him at all.


    the most impressive this about that play is that Browner defended Cam and Williams (two of the best rushers in the league) single-handedly. If he commits to Cam too early, he pitches to Williams who breaks off a big run. Commit to Williams and Cam takes it himself for a big gain.
    Instead he times it perfectly, baiting Cam into giving it up and then he quickyl refocuses on Williams and makes the tackle for a loss and forces a fumble.
    Incredible
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2566
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:When do we give some credit to the Panthers for playing some good ball too? The fumble on specials was well done, the bobble pick took some pretty good concentration and happened in pretty good coverage, and the pick was a bad throw, but the CB did take advantage, and his coverage was about as good as coverage as there can be when a little corner is covering a land mass. Luke Kuechly should have been the middle backer all along, he can run that defense. Their plan to keep Wilson from running was well thought out. As far as people saying we should have done better against that ranking of defense,we did. But penalized ourselves every big play, as Kip points out. And that defensive ranking is suspect, they played consecutive games against New York, New Orleans, and Atlanta. There are some players on that D.

    Also, I wanted to point out that the guy Kip calls 80's beard calls a real good NFL game. Tim Ryan always knows his facts, and his observation that it was Russell Wilson being afraid to make mistakes that was holding him back in the red zone was spot on. Tim calls games for the Niners in the pre-season, Played a few years in the league, played for USC, and is a radio host for Sirius NFL radio in the afternoons, and I think he, along with Lynch and Mayock, are the three best game callers there are right now. SOOOOOO much better than listening to Martz.


    Agreed, I'd be surprised if he doesn't play MLB every game for the rest of the year, he was all over the place making plays
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2566
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm




It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online