Regarding Seahawks.net DONATE&HELP Update: $3000 total!!!

The Radish

Reaction score
Mark posted this in the Lounge but I think this word needs to get out to all our main forum posters regarding the financial health of this place.

Remember we accept no moneys from business because we all wanted to have a site without popups.

The Amazon connection has been a huge help but we need to do 2 things. We need to remind our friends to buy at Amazon using our address so the site gets a small bit for the business.

The other: Read this comment from Mark about contributions being down. Getting near the giving season, don't forget to put Seahawks.net on your Christmas list.

See where it says the moneys we used in the past was for ONE TENTH of the volume of the traffic we have now, so please help where you can. Its that or start finding other methods of financing this please we all love.

"RolandDeschain wrote:Yeah, I use EC2 just to host my Mumble voice chat server, and an FTP server/generic website for hosting public things. Pennies per month. I've been thinking about checking out Google's offerings, though. EC2 needs some competition.

We're moving towards something similar. The current setup was architected 3 years ago when we were at 10% of the amount of traffic we are now, so it's time to put our big boy pants on.

Of course, the issue with that is that it's more expensive, and if you hadn't noticed, we're behind in donations this year, even with the Amazon clicks. Hopefully people get charitable during the holiday season because my wife will be the one going to the data center and unplugging us if I have to keep subsidizing the site."

Sac

Reaction score
.Net is definitely on my Christmas list. But I would like to know what the goal is for the site, and what percentage we're at to hitting it. An updated graphic in a sticky'd post would be great.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":fe14rb59 said:
.Net is definitely on my Christmas list. But I would like to know what the goal is for the site, and what percentage we're at to hitting it. An updated graphic in a sticky'd post would be great.

If you go to the board index it shows up down near the bottom just above the people who are online:

Ending on Mon Dec 31, 2012
We have collected $1349.50 so far, out of our goal of $2600
52% of our goal has been reached!

Sac

Reaction score
Only half way? That sucks. Personally, I think that message should be more prominent. Not necessarily "in your face" prominent, but perhaps near the top of every board.

If the only place it's located is at the bottom of the board index, then it's not getting much attention.

sutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I've been working lately, so I threw a couple of cookies on the plate.

:)

renofox

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":ski6chb3 said:
Only half way? That sucks. Personally, I think that message should be more prominent. Not necessarily "in your face" prominent, but perhaps near the top of every board.

If the only place it's located is at the bottom of the board index, then it's not getting much attention.
Definitely make it more prominent.

I was unaware of the financial difficulties so hadn't donated for a while.

Saw this thread and kicked in a few bucks.

Do a little more to make sure people know and the problem may just go away.

duckypoo

Reaction score
I'll be moving soon so expect me to make a large series of Amazon purchases under the link. Any idea to the take % from Amazon?

Unfortunately I can't contribute much more - but as a former admin of several forums, webserver, game servers, etc I can sympathize. Thanks for always having IRC available :)

jkitsune

Reaction score
I've loved you guys for nearly 10 years and never given money before (then again, I was a minor when I joined). Merry Christmas - wish I could afford to give more.

samwize77

Reaction score
I've been coming here for years also...completely enjoyed the site and its posters (well, most of them.....lol) but I've never donated...shame on me!!! Sooooooo............
I just got us a decent % closer to our goal.....I challenge 9 more to match to finish getting us there...do the math and match away....Goooo .NETTERS!!!! and Goooo Hawks!

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
Hey gang, I know I speak for the entire staff when I say a very heartfelt thank you for supporting Seahawks.net.

For those of you who don't know, none of the staff here get paid, we all do it cause we love this place and believe it or don't, we love all you folks too.

I have to admit that we probably love Andrea & Chris (seahawkgal & susitnagal), more than we do most of you others. lol

:th2thumbs:

We will get the contribution updated in the next few days. Things have been a bit hairy here the last few days as you all well know.

samwize77

Reaction score
Since we're on the subject....I'd like to thank ALL the Admins......PAST, PRESENT...and FUTURE for all their hard work! This site allows us all to discuss and support our Hawks throughout the year, and not just during the season.
I think we all know how much this place means to us, its the old "you don't know what you got til its gone" thing. Like recently...."refresh"..."refresh"...is it back up yet?...."refresh"...."refresh".....ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

RockHawk

Reaction score
Thanks Les for bringing this up, I'm not the kind to bring it up and ask (pride) so I appreciate it.

Thank you for all the donations tonight guys, that's great. I'll update the stats tomorrow and keep them updated throughout the week.

Oh, and for the last 3 years $2800 has been the goal (exact cost of hosting the site), but I think we need to get closer to $3500 since we'll most likely be migrating to an enterprise-class setup very soon.

Again, thank you. I love you guys & gals!

Mark

Sac

Reaction score
I have a poker tournament tomorrow. I'll give you some cash right after I finish in the money. And I'll totally finish in the money.

samwize77

Reaction score
Hey Sac....I'm sure the site needs your support.....but your avatar needs some also!

sam1313

Reaction score
samwize77":dh6t13uo said:
Hey Sac....I'm sure the site needs your support.....but your avatar needs some also!

I think Sac's avatar should be more prominent.

Hey guys, question here. How can we set up our amazon account to always go through .Net? If someone could send me a PM on that I would appreicate it.

I will also send a little money your way. Money is a little tighter than last time, but I'll send some your way.

Thanks again for the great site. when it goes down I get lost....

suppaball

Reaction score
If I wasn't as poor as a dirt clod I would donate but alas I can't afford to whip my own arse.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sam1313":1bzkuymd said:
samwize77":1bzkuymd said:

I think Sac's avatar should be more prominent.

Hey guys, question here. How can we set up our amazon account to always go through .Net? If someone could send me a PM on that I would appreicate it.

I will also send a little money your way. Money is a little tighter than last time, but I'll send some your way.

Thanks again for the great site. when it goes down I get lost....

Easiest way to have the Amazon link work for you without having to always come here and click it would be to click it and when the page opens, go ahead and bookmark that page. Then when you want to go to Amazon, just use that bookmark and it should always work. I'm sure they'll let us know if the link ever changes.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Anybody see the scout network update they just rolled out? It is a blessing that this place went independent.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
duckypoo":13m8e9nm said:
I'll be moving soon so expect me to make a large series of Amazon purchases under the link. Any idea to the take % from Amazon?

Unfortunately I can't contribute much more - but as a former admin of several forums, webserver, game servers, etc I can sympathize. Thanks for always having IRC available :)

The Amazon associates program pays out 0-8% depending on the category and how many referrals have been generated so far that month. The maximum commission is I think $25.00, but they changed their operating agreement this past June or July, and a few commission structures were tweaked.