Brian Billick on Seattle

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
Rookie QB Russell Wilson is a good game manager, but when you ask him to do more, he just can't get it done . . . as proven by his three interceptions on Sunday. If healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Flynn inserted as the starter before the midway point of the season.

He obviously did not watch the game at all to blame those int's on him....

kidhawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":959ogjnh said:
Splitting hairs. He still didn't play well.

I'm pretty sure THAT point is brought up in other threads, the point here is Billick did some weak research before coming to his conclusion. We, as Seahawks fans, know that Wilson had a rough game, but Billick as an analyst should have at least watched some tape and realized that all three of those interceptions had mitigating circumstances and weren't coming out of being poorly thrown balls.

1) Baldwin had the catch and pretty much dropped it into the defense's arms instead of the ground upon being hit

2) His arm is hit during release, popping the ball up. This one could be argued to be his fault, but really, even pro bowl qb's have this happen occastionally.

3) The final interception was thrown to the right place on the field, but as he was throwing, the receiver tripped (either over himself or a defender, I couldn't DVR and re-watch the game since it wasn't aired locally)

Wilson may have a limited playbook and may still be a little slow reading the field, which is causing a lot of frustration offensively, but his accuracy is not the problem and Billick should really know better. Either he should take the time to actually analyze what he's giving analysis on or he should just not make the statement at all. It's lazy

seedhawk

Reaction score
Billick just might be the best guy to listen to about some of what we are going thru. His Ravens won the SB in 2000 with Dilfer, who Billick then traded to Seattle cuz he was not dynamic enough. Drafted Grbac, excuse me, football elvis. Didn't work, so tried again with Boller. Didn't work and cost him his job. But, those Ravens and our current team have a lot in common. Pretty damn good D, augmented with above average special teams, above the mean running game.

Ravens finally took Flacco and have stuck with him and are now being rewarded offensively. Is RW our Flacco?

OP
OP
K

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":2tmo9tur said:
Billick just might be the best guy to listen to about some of what we are going thru. His Ravens won the SB in 2000 with Dilfer, who Billick then traded to Seattle cuz he was not dynamic enough. Drafted Grbac, excuse me, football elvis. Didn't work, so tried again with Boller. Didn't work and cost him his job. But, those Ravens and our current team have a lot in common. Pretty damn good D, augmented with above average special teams, above the mean running game.

Ravens finally took Flacco and have stuck with him and are now being rewarded offensively. Is RW our Flacco?

Point here is that he did a crap job of analyzing RW's performance.

bellingerga

Reaction score
"as proven by his three interceptions"

Pretty sure every great and bad QB has had a 3 interception game in their career. Making a habit out of it is part of what distinguishes the bad from the good, but I'd hardly say 1 bad game in a players rookie campaign is proof that he can't be more than a game manager.

Billick been hittin the bottle again.

Twisted

Reaction score
KitsapHawk":2mknky20 said:
seedhawk":2mknky20 said:

Point here is that he did a crap job of analyzing RW's performance.

obviously, prolly wouldn't have printed it if he just stated he did his job to the same error every other QB in the league did, jeez have you seen some of those veterans performing? *cringe.gif*

goodness

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Actually, Endzorn reviewed the INTs on coach's tape and thinks the Baldwin INT was on Wilson. He hesitated way too long and allowed the defenders to close on Baldwin who Wilson was telegraphing as his target.

Rainger

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1ccfihko said:
Actually, Endzorn reviewed the INTs on coach's tape and thinks the Baldwin INT was on Wilson. He hesitated way too long and allowed the defenders to close on Baldwin who Wilson was telegraphing as his target.
lol so well said

HansGruber

Reaction score
I love how all the washed-up crappy ex-coaches are suddenly chiming in on the Seahawks. Who's next - Denny Green?? Eric Mangina?

Billick - you were a garbage coach and owe EVERYTHING to Belichick. You may fool the brainless American masses, but every Browns fan knows you rode Belichicks team to the SuperBowl and could never do squat on your own. That's why you have to sit around in a booth with guys like Matt Millen and Herm Edwards, pretending like you know something. FACT. The only time Billick ever looked good as a coach was on Hard Knocks.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2githapx said:
Wilson kinda sucks right now. Why the surprise at what billick said?

What did you expect from a rookie? 400 yards a game?

And I'm less surprised by what Billick said than the fact he still has a job related to football. And it's true for Herm Edwards and Matt Millen, too. If any of them knew a single goddam thing about football, they'd still have a job in the NFL. But they were fired because they didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. And the entire rest of the NFL saw the level of their incompetence, so they ended up having to take a job outside their field. So honestly, anything they think about how a team should be run, I'd hope Carroll and Schneider would do the opposite.

manders2600

Reaction score
HansGruber":26jxsh02 said:
Tech Worlds":26jxsh02 said:

Immediately following RW's 160 yd performance on Sunday . . .

Ryan Tannehill: 431 yds passing vs Arizona

RW in Week 1: 153 yds passing vs Arizona

Just saying . . . :th2thumbs:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1c42wpyj said:
Look again. He hesitated because a Rams player about halfway between the two of them was going to knock his pass down. So he sidestepped, and threw it. Yeah, he delayed, but if he doesn't, that pass gets nowhere near Baldwin. And don't bring up height on this one, the guy would have knocked down the pass of it was the tallest QB in the league throwing it.

acbass

Reaction score
I doubt anyone really contends that he sucks right now. I am one of this biggest Wilson supporters. This is the one guy I wanted in the draft. That being said, it is very difficult to watch these "growing pains." I feel like if we just had a touch more out of the QB, this team is a real contender. I just hope he figures it out sooner than later. I have faith he will.... Yeah... He will....

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Bottom line is that he is playing very poorly right now. We all can see it, even if we don't want to admit it. At this point, it doesn't matter what any analyst or message board poster says about him. Either he plays better and the hawks get some wins, or he continues to play poorly and the hawks lose and hopefully make a change.

OP
OP
K

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
manders2600":1ufcwvmy said:
HansGruber":1ufcwvmy said:
Tech Worlds":1ufcwvmy said:

Immediately following RW's 160 yd performance on Sunday . . .

Ryan Tannehill: 431 yds passing vs Arizona

RW in Week 1: 153 yds passing vs Arizona

Just saying . . . :th2thumbs:

How many dozens of times did Tannehill throw downfield, and compare that to Wilson...

Latest posts