Our defensive stats on 3rd and 10+

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
We've had 20 plays ran against us on 3rd and 10+ (I'm not including plays where penalties were called). Of those 20 plays, 9 were converted into first downs. That may sound bad enough, but in fact, if you look closer, it's worse. 4 of those plays were 3rd and 20+ and our opponent either ran the ball and punted or made a short pass. Considering that 3rd and 20+ should be nearly impossible to convert, let's take those plays out and look at 3rd and 10-19.

Now we see we're allowing first downs in 9 of 16 plays. Over half the time we give up a first down. But it's actually quite worse.

Two of those plays the opponent just ran the ball, making no real effort to get the first down (buried in their own endzone, etc.) So actually, when the opponent has 3rd and 10 to 19 yards to go and they pass the ball, they convert 9 out of 14 times. That's flat out horrendous.

Of the 20 3rd and 10+ plays, the opponent gained 193 yards. We got one sack.

Take out the running plays and the 3rd and 20+ and our opponents racked up 157 yards on 14 plays. 4 incompletions and 1 sack. We are giving up over 11 yards a play when the opponent passes on us on 3rd and 10-19. The typical completion is for 17+ yards!!! If they complete a pass on 3rd and long, which they will do 64% of the time, they will gain 17+ yards on that play.

This is obscene. Does anyone ever remember seeing anything like this? Even the old 3rdDownsRUs Defense™ of the Holmgren era wasn't that bad was it?

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Pete reckoned Breno's penalties were an easy fix. Pete reckons everything is an easy fix. If they're so easy to fix, why hasn't he fixed them?

12th_Bob

Reaction score
The one that made me want to blow a gasket on Sunday, 4th quarter with the game 16-13, 3rd and 13, Bradford found a guy for a huge conversion. That play made a big difference in winning or losing the game and I think it's reasonable to believe this defense should stop that from happening.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
This has to be Russell Wilson's fault. He's too short. Start Flynn.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm no X's and O's guy but is part of the problem because we're playing soft coverage on the 3rd and longs? Why aren't we seeing any creative blitzing, safety/corner blitzes to hurry the passer to limit those big conversions?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Aros":1hlm6rby said:
I'm no X's and O's guy but is part of the problem because we're playing soft coverage on the 3rd and longs? Why aren't we seeing any creative blitzing, safety/corner blitzes to hurry the passer to limit those big conversions?

You wouldn't want to do a safety/corner blitz in that situation (except as a surprise).

A big way to give up yards on 3 and long is to leave a WR uncovered.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
By QB: Skelton 0-2
Rodgers: 2-3 26 yards
Romo: 2-3 40 yards
Bradford: 5-6 91 yards

Obviously, the solution is to have opposing teams start Skelton.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Hurting Skelton may have been the worst thing we could have done this season.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
It reminds me of the John Marshall soft zones of a few years ago. It makes no sense to me to play aggressively on other downs - and be successful - and then play a defense totally against what we usually play.

xCalibur

Reaction score
This has been going on for a long time. Pete has done nothing to address it. This is not a talent issue, we have the right personel to stop those plays. This all goes on Pete and Bradley.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3cy0y7h6 said:
1st Down: Pressure the Quarterback
2nd Down: Pressure the Quarterback
3rd Down: Rush three and play prevent

Repeat.
It all makes perfect sense now.

1st Down: hand off to Lynch for 4
2nd Down: hand off to Lynch for 5
3rd Down: pass the ball.

I feel like I've been Enlightened. It's the meaning of life...or something....

HawkWow

Reaction score
That is ugly...but they are giving up very few points. Just wait til we get this 3rd and long thing figured out with this very young D....Goodell will likely create more rule changes to protect the opposition.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I am getting irritated when I watch the game defense is wiping the floor with the opponent and then 3rd and long we all the sudden go soft. We are a tough hard hitting team and it needs to be used at all times.

TLD0550

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":6uh5cy2h said:
That slant to Amendola, over and over again had me saying filthy words.
is it just me or have we been saying filthy words for many many years

HawkWow

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":kngp73ov said:
This has to be Russell Wilson's fault. He's too short. Start Flynn.

I'll say this: Wilson is definitely an Athlete and you are definitely an athletic supporter.

kearly

Reaction score
Great work Salish. Somebody should tweet this to Sando and/or Carroll.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Reality check here. The defense has kept people out of the endzone better than nearly every other team. Maybe if you take that TD away from the special teams last week and it's right there. And yet, I'm even reading about the defense on the front page of seahawks.com.

This team has been in the plus category at every position except QB and WR. We can talk about this or that and why, but it boils down to those two positions being flat out not good enough. Last in the league. Dead last. QB or WR is a chicken or the egg argument. However, while I've wanted to buy into the Wilson hype as much as anyone I'll honestly have to say that he's been an extremely average rookie. Not special in any way, shape or form. Even right down to the point he snaps the ball and shows consistent inept pocket awareness. To see such a failure of the passing game coupled with the leagues best running game is atrocious. Rookie or not. Short or not.

Yeah, I'm calling it out.

But yeah, that third down defense could be better though. I certainly don't think it should make the front page of the team's website regardless. That defense provided a very, very winnable game.

Latest posts