Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florio: Sea/Phi ratings next to SB, but too bad no Dallas

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • "It will be interesting to see how the ratings perform the rest of the way, given the absence of big-market teams in New York, L.A., and Chicago, and national brands like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Patriots not qualifying for the round of eight."

    Hey bub, you end a factual article with this?? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... uper-bowl/

    NY has two big market teams that at one point were high draws. Chicago has been around since the beginning, and they too once got all the attention. Same with Rams, and that was just last year.

    Fact, few in America wanted to watch the Cowboys anymore. We have all been fed Cowboys hype, rect**, for 40 years whether they've done well or not. The Patriots at least earned their time, but people are sick of them too.

    Who here would have prioritized the Ravens for primetime or anytime at the beginning of the season? KC before last season? They're now worth watching because they earned it. Same with us, same with SF, same with anyone who remains.

    There is no static "America's Team." America's Team is whoever ends up winning the SB.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1875
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • ".....fed the Cowboys hype, rect**....." :shock: :shock:

    (totally true though.....oh, and to hell with the stealers too)
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24085
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Admittedly we were likely highest rated game due to the time slot. First Sunday evening playoff game.

    Best game was actually the Titans-Patriots. Fall of Tom Brady. Vrabel clowning Belichek with clock wasting penalties. NE's "vaunted" D getting run over by Henry (Pete Ball lives!). It was blessed poetry.

    Our game had some moments but not as much drama as the previous 3 WC games.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1725
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


  • Would make it even more interesting if the Packers and Niners get knocked out next week.
    That would leave no “legacy teams” left. :)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 27189
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • The NFL is a juggernaut. The ratings will crush it no matter who is playing. This isn't the NBA or MLB where you need big market teams to sustain viewership through a 4 to 7 game series. KC vs Baltimore will set records if that's the AFC match up, both small market teams, because of Mahomes & Lamar.
    RobBaker7714409
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 285
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:56 pm


  • I'd say the juggernaut is there for NBA. A team emerges hot, stays hot, and soon becomes the talk of the town, whether they be the Phoenix Suns, the Chicago Bulls, the Cleveland Cavs, Or the Lakers, the Clippers or the Warriors.

    Overall, I don't think NBA fans are as loyal. The Warriors got their new arena catering to the rich. But since they suck this year, that arena's at 50 percent capacity. No one cares about that or about them even in local media. Until they go on another hot streak, they'll be ignored.

    MLB is sorta the same. Of course, fans of a team prefer watching it play. But if they're not in, you end up watching whatever of the WS, whether it's the Red Sox, the Cleveland Indians, the Detroit Tigers, the Astros or the Yanks or the Mets. No one really cares.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1875
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:"It will be interesting to see how the ratings perform the rest of the way, given the absence of big-market teams in New York, L.A., and Chicago, and national brands like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Patriots not qualifying for the round of eight."

    Hey bub, you end a factual article with this?? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... uper-bowl/

    NY has two big market teams that at one point were high draws. Chicago has been around since the beginning, and they too once got all the attention. Same with Rams, and that was just last year.

    Fact, few in America wanted to watch the Cowboys anymore. We have all been fed Cowboys hype, rect****, for 40 years whether they've done well or not. The Patriots at least earned their time, but people are sick of them too.

    Who here would have prioritized the Ravens for primetime or anytime at the beginning of the season? KC before last season? They're now worth watching because they earned it. Same with us, same with SF, same with anyone who remains.

    There is no static "America's Team." America's Team is whoever ends up winning the SB.



    I like how there are some resident Niner fans, amongst others, who come here and tell us theres no such thing as legacy teams, that there is no way the NFL would ever steer an outcome to favor a certain market....

    and then...

    we get a guy like Florio complaining that the NFL may suffer due to a lack of big market, legacy type teams remaining.

    Im not necessarily a believer in conspiracies, but I cant straight dismiss it out of hand either. I can certainly envision a world where outcomes are steered and corruption reigns. Money speaks.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2659
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


  • Hawkpower wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:"It will be interesting to see how the ratings perform the rest of the way, given the absence of big-market teams in New York, L.A., and Chicago, and national brands like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Patriots not qualifying for the round of eight."

    Hey bub, you end a factual article with this?? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... uper-bowl/

    NY has two big market teams that at one point were high draws. Chicago has been around since the beginning, and they too once got all the attention. Same with Rams, and that was just last year.

    Fact, few in America wanted to watch the Cowboys anymore. We have all been fed Cowboys hype, rect******, for 40 years whether they've done well or not. The Patriots at least earned their time, but people are sick of them too.

    Who here would have prioritized the Ravens for primetime or anytime at the beginning of the season? KC before last season? They're now worth watching because they earned it. Same with us, same with SF, same with anyone who remains.

    There is no static "America's Team." America's Team is whoever ends up winning the SB.



    I like how there are some resident Niner fans, amongst others, who come here and tell us theres no such thing as legacy teams, that there is no way the NFL would ever steer an outcome to favor a certain market....

    and then...

    we get a guy like Florio complaining that the NFL may suffer due to a lack of big market, legacy type teams remaining.

    Im not necessarily a believer in conspiracies, but I cant straight dismiss it out of hand either. I can certainly envision a world where outcomes are steered and corruption reigns. Money speaks.


    It’s not even a conspiracy as “some” claim, it’s economics. The NFL is a business first under Rog Goodell.

    The bigger your customer base the more products (swag, merchandise) you sell.
    If you view team’s fanbases as individual “customer bases” you’ll see my point.

    The bigger the fanbase, the more customers there are to buy your Super Bowl swag/merch, and the more product you sell, which = more $$$ for the bottom line.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 27189
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Here's the top 50 merch sales by player ending in Aug. 2019, per nflpa:

    https://www.nflpa.com/players/top-50-pl ... st-fy20-q2

    After Brady and Mahomes? Cleveland's Baker Mayfield and OBJ. Zeke Elliott comes in 6, and Dak at 10. In fact, most of the top names didn't sniff a big playoff run in 2018.

    As far as TV time, Florio said today that the SEA/PHI game was the highest rated behind the SB. Which doesn't make sense given Saturday's primetime spot, but it does when you look at how people watch football. Everyone's tuned in to watch Sundays.

    What 's bad is how the games are scheduled--most are without care to division opponents, all of whose fans will have a heightened interest vs. non-division. Instead, the game of the week outside localized markets can go to a team that went far in the PLs or appeared in the SB, but even that isn't consistent.

    The consistency is Dallas. Jerrah has a lock on the late game slot that ensures we get the same subprime quality product for 10 of 16, no matter where we live.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1875
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    There is no static "America's Team." America's Team is whoever ends up winning the SB.


    I disagree. Nobody really fell in love with TB after they won the Owl in 2002. Usually it's big cities that have multiple super bowls that are in the conversation as "America's Team".
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3053
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


  • I get the impression Seattle does OK nationally because of Russ. I think he's must see TV for football fans. I know the game yesterday had a great Sunday spot, but I think he was part of the draw too.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24085
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • It's funny how quickly the media forgets how big of a television draw Seattle is. True facts that can looked up, Seattle has played in 2 of the highest ever rated games! Love em or hate em Seahawks bring ratings.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 383
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:55 am


  • SpokaneHawks wrote:It's funny how quickly the media forgets how big of a television draw Seattle is. True facts that can looked up, Seattle has played in 2 of the highest ever rated games! Love em or hate em Seahawks bring ratings.


    And they have the highest ratings in Canada since they are the most successful team adjacent to the Canadian border. Bills used to have a huge following in Toronto but their long run of crappiness has led to the Canadian fan base falling off. But in the West of Canada, Seahawk fanship is strong. That's 10 million people to draw from.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1725
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


  • People want to watch stars. Russ, Lamar, Mahomes are the big three right now especially for the younger generation of Fans. Rogers Brees and Brady's stars are fading. If any two of the Hawks, KC or Ravens match up in the SB, the ratings will be insane.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 958
    Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:33 am
    Location: Covington WA


  • HawkerD wrote:People want to watch stars. Russ, Lamar, Mahomes are the big three right now especially for the younger generation of Fans. Rogers Brees and Brady's stars are fading. If any two of the Hawks, KC or Ravens match up in the SB, the ratings will be insane.


    Agreed that Russ has made Seattle a good TV draw. I don't know what the other matchups were that year, but Seattle / Detroit was the Sat night game one year wildcard weekend, and I'll go out on a limb and say the network didn't pick that game due to Matt Stafford appeal.

    I get casual fans may be drawn to legacy teams and tune out other ones, but I would question how much of a "football fan" a person is if they aren't excited about watching matchups like Mahomes vs Watson.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 844
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm




It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], King Dog, Majestic-12 [Bot], Nunya and 167 guests