What to do with the running game?

seabowl

Reaction score
Where do I start. Well the OL was really bad at run blocking and the play calling matched their poor play. How many times can you run in the middle and get stuffed without realizing it isn't going to work?

I do like throwing to both Lynch and Homer but they need to establish a run game of some sorts. Lynch unfortunately appears to be too out of shape to be the lead back. He'd be gassed by halftime if they kept feeding him. Also not sure why Turbin is even on the roster as there are probably better options out there.

IMO Schotty needs to figure things out quick if they are to advance.

justafan

Reaction score
seabowl":32krp2gr said:
Where do I start. Well the OL was really bad at run blocking and the play calling matched their poor play. How many times can you run in the middle and get stuffed without realizing it isn't going to work?

I do like throwing to both Lynch and Homer but they need to establish a run game of some sorts. Lynch unfortunately appears to be too out of shape to be the lead back. He'd be gassed by halftime if they kept feeding him. Also not sure why Turbin is even on the roster as there are probably better options out there.

Lose 4 top blockers and your top 3 RBs what is he supposed to do. He still outcoached Pederson.

edogg23

Reaction score
We have a franchise QB. Put the ball in his hands and let him run the 2 minute offense the whole game.
Of course this is just a dream and Pete would never do it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
edogg23":1q9fdos9 said:
We have a franchise QB. Put the ball in his hands and let him run the 2 minute offense the whole game.

Well 40 pass plays and 17 runs is pretty close :D

renofox

Reaction score
Hawkpower":6a4ap2f8 said:
edogg23":6a4ap2f8 said:

Well 40 pass plays and 17 runs is pretty close :D

Keep that ratio going, only even more passing.

Use screens, swings, tosses, pitches to get the RB into space.

Jville

Reaction score
My goodness.

If they load up to stop the run as their 1st priority, take what they give you. .

Burn them with the pass.

Say thank you.

Go with what ever they give you.

chris98251

Reaction score
seabowl":21xd7tlf said:

About 17 times so those underneath routes are open and in the flat routes to RB's come available, but you would have to understand more then one narrative to figure out you set up other plays by running some that may not get big fantasy yards.

NukePack

Reaction score
I feel stupid but what's up with the 40/17 numbers? Russ was 18 of 30. He rushed 9 times. Were they all off scrambles?

kf3339

Reaction score
Jville":2kmv3kgv said:
My goodness.

If they load up to stop the run as their 1st priority, take what they give you. .

Burn them with the pass.

Say thank you.

:ditto:

John63

Reaction score
edogg23":2ga0w5mu said:

It does not need top be the 2-minute offense just the change tempo, layered quick passing attack. Liek what we did earlier in the year, like what we did in 2015 and like what we do on occasion. Just use that s your game plan, we will still run, but we help the offense out in a lot of way; 1 keeps defense on toes with changing of the tempo on every play, 2 ball get s out quick, 3 motion by Wr make it easier to get open, 4 gets Wilson into rhythm quick, 5 lets Wilson read the defense better, 6 rarely gets us delay of game calls.

But unfortunately that is not PCs way, as long as the run game is kind of working that is what we will do, today it was not, so he gave up which is a step anyway.

Problem is with this defense against GB we will need to score, so this change tempo offense might be the only way we win.

CHawk

Reaction score
Philly did have one of the top run defenses

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

renofox

Reaction score
NukePack":1f6k2dqy said:
I feel stupid but what's up with the 40/17 numbers? Russ was 18 of 30. He rushed 9 times. Were they all off scrambles?

I didn't see any designed runs for RW.

30 att
9 scrambled
1 sack

AgentDib

Reaction score
renofox":23nkbbhs said:
Keep that ratio going, only even more passing. Use screens, swings, tosses, pitches to get the RB into space.
I try to put myself in the defensive coordinator's shoes. How awesome would it be knowing that the other team was only going to pass, and when they did run occasionally it wouldn't be to the middle of the field? I get that it sucks to watch a play and think it probably isn't going to work, but some of those passes to Metcalf today don't happen without those ugly runs up the middle earlier.

The 40-17 pass-run ratio becomes increasingly dangerous going forwards because teams will study the tape and come away not respecting our running game. Wilson scrambling is a huge asset here to keep opposing defenses honest but that isn't enough on it's own.

Jville

Reaction score
NukePack":x13sswok said:

You shouldn't. It's a good question. Without a linked source, it's just anonymous numbers by questionable sources. We have our share of community members that make stuff up.

Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501[/urltargetblank]

John63

Reaction score
Jville":2a8gyacg said:
NukePack":2a8gyacg said:

You shouldn't. It's a good question. Without a linked source, it's just anonymous numbers by questionable sources. We have our share of community members that make stuff up.

Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501[/urltargetblank]

ESPN has the same, the thing is you can't count Wilsons as rushes per se as they were scrambles, none where designed runs. Without Wilson we were 17 carries for 19 yards and a td which is 1.1 ypc so god aweful, thankfully they did not wait to long to switch schemes. What killed the offense the most were penalties....again we had 11 for 114 yards, and alot in fact most I believe were on the oline

Smellyman

Reaction score
Schotty needs to get creative and scrap the things that don't work with current personnel.

He tried sometime outside runs with little success also because Homer just isn't particularly fast or quick to get to the outside..... or shifty, or big to attack middle. He is just a try had middling practice squad guy pressed to duty. add in injured oline and he has his work cut out for him.

He really needs to mix up runs more and give to the WRs on end arounds occasionally and RW should keep more to keep D honest. Trying to pretend this is Crhis Carson and the #1 OL is a joke. Especially against these fronts in the playoffs.

davidonmi

Reaction score
It'll be better next week if we get brown and iupati back

John63

Reaction score
The reality is anyone thinking Lycnh, Turbin and or Homer were going to give us a viable run game like what OC wants is nuts. We are only going to go as far as the passing game takes us, and for that to work with what we have it has to change tempo, run layered routes and be quick hitting,, for the most part and with some runs, and long shots mixed in. Use the pass to set up the run.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jville":338i7h7f said:
My goodness.

Burn them with the pass.

Say thank you.

This has never been what Pete Carroll likes to do. He'll never change, in that regard. I've accepted it at this point...