Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Clowney a dirty player?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Is Clowney a dirty player?
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:13 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    ClippedBird wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    CHawk wrote:I wouldn't put it past the Eagles fans to do something like make death threats

Cool hypothetical.

Do you think Clowney calling Eagles fans the "worst fanbase in the world" after beating their team and knocking their QB out of the game on what many believe was a dirty play INCREASES or DECREASES the chance that some jamoke would do wrong and make a death threat?

IMO if Clowney was actually worried about a death threat he wouldn't say what someone would say if they were trying to provoke one... :lol:

Wow. An actual Seahawk fan typing with their brain. Thank you Popeyejones. Clowney is a clown and saying those things shows how ignorant he is.

I'm not a Seahawks fan. Just a 9ers fan who has happened to post here for the last seven years.

I'm one of "the good ones" whenever my opinions happen to align with what's flattering to Seahawks fans in the moment (e.g. the non-call on Warner for DPI last week, which was obviously a bad call IMO), and a "damn dirty 9ers fan with ulterior motives" whenever my opinions happen to not align with what's flattering to Seahawks fans in the moment (the non-call on Clowney for a very dirty that he should have been ejected for IMO).

Unlike last week when I was arguing against my team's win I'm now a damn dirty 9ers fan with ulterior motives again. :roll: :lol:

I appreciate your honesty. Some fans just cannot accept logic and what their eyes see. Look, I am a realist and I knew that they were not winning a SB this year. I also knew that this game would also be a tough battle. What I did not expect was that our franchise QB was going to be speared in the first quarter with a cheap shot that was totally unnecessary when he could of just been touched which has been the norm this year. Carson could have been severely injured (vertebrae). Carson was also cheated out of his first playoff game.

We are all very upset and just need some time to let this go. Sorry Hawks fans if we are a bit salty but if this happened to Russel in the same manner you all would be losing your sh1t as well.
    ClippedBird
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:14 am
  • @Clipped

100s of similar “still shots” can be found throughout the season.

Would you say the same things about those situations and players.

I think not, go ahead and lie to us.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:18 am
  • ClippedBird wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    ClippedBird wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    Cool hypothetical.

Do you think Clowney calling Eagles fans the "worst fanbase in the world" after beating their team and knocking their QB out of the game on what many believe was a dirty play INCREASES or DECREASES the chance that some jamoke would do wrong and make a death threat?

IMO if Clowney was actually worried about a death threat he wouldn't say what someone would say if they were trying to provoke one... :lol:

Wow. An actual Seahawk fan typing with their brain. Thank you Popeyejones. Clowney is a clown and saying those things shows how ignorant he is.

I'm not a Seahawks fan. Just a 9ers fan who has happened to post here for the last seven years.

I'm one of "the good ones" whenever my opinions happen to align with what's flattering to Seahawks fans in the moment (e.g. the non-call on Warner for DPI last week, which was obviously a bad call IMO), and a "damn dirty 9ers fan with ulterior motives" whenever my opinions happen to not align with what's flattering to Seahawks fans in the moment (the non-call on Clowney for a very dirty that he should have been ejected for IMO).

Unlike last week when I was arguing against my team's win I'm now a damn dirty 9ers fan with ulterior motives again. :roll: :lol:

I appreciate your honesty. Some fans just cannot accept logic and what their eyes see. Look, I am a realist and I knew that they were not winning a SB this year. I also knew that this game would also be a tough battle. What I did not expect was that our franchise QB was going to be speared in the first quarter with a cheap shot that was totally unnecessary when he could of just been touched which has been the norm this year. Carson could have been severely injured (vertebrae). Carson was also cheated out of his first playoff game.

We are all very upset and just need some time to let this go. Sorry Hawks fans if we are a bit salty but if this happened to Russel in the same manner you all would be losing your sh1t as well.

Noone cheated. the only thing your team was cheated out of was 15 yards and a first down... maybe.

Be salty...

why are you being salty here?

Presenting yourself as a realist and over emotional at the same time doesn't help your argument.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:18 am
  • Listen to the former players talking about it this morning, I've listened to many and i've heard only one think there was any intent and that's probably because he was that type of player. I've probably listened to another dozen who all felt it wasn't over the line/dirty/intentional and they would know better than the slow mo remote experts finding freezeframes to support their confirmation bias... The overwhelming majority thought it was a football play that had a bad result. Physical game, bad results can happen, it was unfortunate. Some argued that you gotta throw a flag and given how the game is called that could be argued but to think there was intent malice or that the player is dirty is just an upset fan base needing to vent and find somebody to blame. I'd be pissed if my qb took that hit, I'm pissed any time my qb gets his bell rung no matter how clean the hit, just the nature of being a fan but that isn't rooted in logic that's just passion and fandom. I feel for Wentz, hope he walks away from this okay, I feel bad that there's any talk of his being soft cause that's just $h!t talk but otherwise there's nothing else here.
    Last edited by flmmkrz on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am
  • :vodka:
    Wartooth wrote:ClippedBird...

Good one. I am not a typical Eagles fan. I do not have horns or a tail or anything like that. Tell me more about your favorite mythical creatures.
    ClippedBird
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am
  • again.

Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 am
  • Smellyman wrote:again.

No one's talking about how clowney can't predict mcdougald tripping wentz and clowney being unable to pull out of a tackle he's committed to literally milliseconds after, otherwise would have been a clean hit :snack:
    Hawkman90
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am
  • When McCown came in, it was an upgrade anyway, so it's not clear what the Eagles fans are complaining about. Wentz was a disaster.

But yeah, also (as already mentioned), the injury was more caused by the field, than by Clowney.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:@Clipped

100s of similar “still shots” can be found throughout the season.

Would you say the same things about those situations and players.

I think not, go ahead and lie to us.

He needs to find out if they were knocked out of the game or not first. Being a dirty player is about results not intent! :roll:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:27 am
  • mrblitz wrote:When McCown came in, it was an upgrade anyway, so it's not clear what the Eagles fans are complaining about. Wentz was a disaster.

But yeah, also (as already mentioned), the injury was more caused by the field, than by Clowney.

100% truth!!

But hell. lets crap all over our pitty pot anyway just because we are Philly fans.... :34853_doh:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:32 am
  • NM
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 am
  • Smellyman wrote:again.

False dichotomy.

It can be not malicious, a bang-bang play, and an ejectionable offense all at once.

FWIW I'd apply all three of those descriptors (likely not malicious, bang-bang play, and ejectionable offense) to both Damarious Leonard and Kwon Alexander's ejections for helmet to helmet hits this year too (probably the Chiefs one also, but I'd have to go back and look at it).

Likewise, just to make sure and so you're on the record: it is your position both now and obviously moving forward that we shouldn't be judging penalties based on replays, close-up angles, etc. yeah? Whatever the TV angle shows at full speed is how we should interpret things. I have that right, yeah?

(Also worth noting with 100% sincerity that I was shocked he didn't get flagged as soon as it happened. You can go back and look -- I called it a dirty hit as soon as it happened in the gameday forum yesterday, although TBF I didn't think it warranted an ejection until I saw the replay, but all of us change our interpretations of calls based on replay, including refs and the league itself :lol: :lol: )
    Last edited by Popeyejones on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 am
  • No he doesn't.

He jumps for Wentz at nearly the same time that he was tripped. It looked like he was trying to make a tackle on his legs but wentz ended up going down.

suggesting he could've held up while he's already diving isn't realistic. The tackler has no idea at the moment if the ball carrier will end up on the ground.

It's a bummer for Wentz and the Eagles fans. But thats football.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:45 am
  • People see what they want to see.

In Clowney's post game interview he was very complimentary of the Philly fanbase. No call to make sh!t up to prop up a theoretical opinion.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:50 am
  • So, IF they call it, you get 15 yards. Do you honestly think it made a bit of a difference? Nope.
    The offsides that wasn't called that EVERYONE saw cost the Hawks a drive and they had to settle for 3.
    That was as impactful as a 15 yarder would have been.
    And they played MUCH better with Mccown. If anything, I was hoping Wentz played the entire game.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 am
  • The still shot that I saw had the Seahawk on the side Clowney's helmet pointed straight at Wentz's helmet at impact, meaning it had to have been facemask-to-helmet at most. Meanwhile, I'm listening to the radio this morning (TDY in upstate NY for a few months) and these yahoos are going on about 'roughing the passer' and 'coming down with his weight' like they don't know the difference between a QB as a passer (one set of rules, especially for Erin and brady) and as a full-on runner (another set of rules, unless they give themselves up in a feet-first slide). Jeez.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:06 am
  • It is inherently human to be biased and support "your" team. It is a natural reaction for Eagle fans to "believe" that this was a "dirty" hit and that Clowney's intent was to take Wentz out of the game. It would be a natural reaction for Seahawks fans to feel exactly the same way if the tables were turned. And of course the hit goes from bad to worse when there was no flag.

But truth be told, the hit was legal. It's ridiculous to think that Clowney went airborne with the intent of hitting Wentz helmet-to-helmet. When Clowney started the dive to tackle a runner that hadn't slid or given himself up there is no way he would have been able to anticipate the location of Wentz' head when Clowney's feet left the ground, thus making it physically impossible to believe that Clowney purposely hit Wentz' head with the intent of taking him out of the game. It was simply an unfortunate part of the game of football.
    Willyeye
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:16 am
  • Fully agreed it's a natural reaction for Eagles fans to think it was a had hit and to support their team.

Oddly though, instead of doing the other side of that and saying it's a natural reaction for Hawks fans to think it was an okay hit and to support their team, you just declared that "truth be told" the preferred interpretation for Seahawks fans is a "fact."

LOL. C'mon dude. If you wanna pull the fan bias card that knife always cuts both ways.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:17 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:I'm not comfortable with the hit being a no-call but I realize opinions differ.

Where they shouldn't, though, is with Clowney's telling the press that Philly fans were the "worst in the world" and insinuating death threats. C'mon now. I've read the Twitter and their boards. They're extremely upset, but no one's posing pictures of weapons with his name on it or pledging to go out to PNW and f him up. If anyone thinks "I wouldn't be sad if he's hurt or worse in Green Bay" is the same, I think that person is emotionally 13 and just creating drama.

He doesn't need to apologize for the hit. The adjudication of that was on the refs, not him.

But he should apologize for what he said about the fans. That was all on him.

You mean the type of fans who pick fights with each other and pack guns during tailgates? They are the worst fans; no contest. He doesn't owe them anything, least of all an apology.

https://youtu.be/mr1EI3iV33A?t=81 (check the waistband at 1:29)
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:21 am
  • Clowney's hit was the gray area of the game of football where it if happened to Russell and knocked him out of the game? It's literally ALL we'd be talking about today about how that was a dirty hit and should have been a penalty.

But to defend Clowney, he's not PacMan Jones or Vontaze Burfict...........where there's a LONG history of dirty hits and nonsense from the player.

Clowney was busting his ass to chase down Wentz to hit him, and since Wentz was not in the pocket and running? Then I'm just fine with what Clowney did......and if he refs wanted to call a penalty? I can see that.

But "dirty hit?" Hell no. No way in hell Clowney's intention was to injure Wentz.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:26 am
  • Like Wyman says, the head is attached to the shoulders. You try to make the tackle with your shoulders, and if the "tackle-ee" moves his head once you've committed, there's no chance to avoid helmet to helmet.

It's physically impossible for a player to change direction in mid-air.

Like said above, if Wentz just goes to the ground, instead of rolling, and trying to stretch for a couple of extra inches, Clowney goes right over him.

Carson Wentz knew what he did, knew that he should have played smart and given himself up. That's why he went to his team mates after the game and apologized for getting injured. With his injury history, he needs to play like a QB, and stop trying to play like Beast Mode.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:28 am
  • flmmkrz wrote:Listen to the former players talking about it this morning, I've listened to many and i've heard only one think there was any intent and that's probably because he was that type of player. I've probably listened to another dozen who all felt it wasn't over the line/dirty/intentional and they would know better than the slow mo remote experts finding freezeframes to support their confirmation bias... The overwhelming majority thought it was a football play that had a bad result. Physical game, bad results can happen, it was unfortunate. Some argued that you gotta throw a flag and given how the game is called that could be argued but to think there was intent malice or that the player is dirty is just an upset fan base needing to vent and find somebody to blame. I'd be pissed if my qb took that hit, I'm pissed any time my qb gets his bell rung no matter how clean the hit, just the nature of being a fan but that isn't rooted in logic that's just passion and fandom. I feel for Wentz, hope he walks away from this okay, I feel bad that there's any talk of his being soft cause that's just $h!t talk but otherwise there's nothing else here.

Ryan Clark pointed out that Clowney's body is sideways, and that if you're really trying to hit helmet-to-helmet then your body will be pointed straight at your target. Clowney was certainly trying to make a runner 'pay' for their run, like every defensive player on the planet is going to do. And as has been pointed out, Wentz was not a QB in this situation, he was a runner. If the hit had been on a RB instead, fewer people would be complaining. (Clark's comments should be easy to find on youtube, I don't remember which show it was on.)

I do think it deserved a penalty - he DID hit Wentz in the head, and you penalize results, not intent. The penalties, including the inevitable fine, are meant to motivate players to think more about how they're playing the game. But it wasn't 'dirty' in the sense that he was not trying to injure Wentz.
    Torc
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:43 am
  • Torc wrote:I do think it deserved a penalty - he DID hit Wentz in the head, and you penalize results, not intent. The penalties, including the inevitable fine, are meant to motivate players to think more about how they're playing the game. But it wasn't 'dirty' in the sense that he was not trying to injure Wentz.

I fully agree. This reminds me a lot of the ET hit on Mason Rudolph. ET wasn't headhunting Rudolph deliberately, but fact is he did make contact w/the crown, and ET was called mainly because that was the result.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:45 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Torc wrote:I do think it deserved a penalty - he DID hit Wentz in the head, and you penalize results, not intent. The penalties, including the inevitable fine, are meant to motivate players to think more about how they're playing the game. But it wasn't 'dirty' in the sense that he was not trying to injure Wentz.

I fully agree. This reminds me a lot of the ET hit on Mason Rudolph. ET wasn't headhunting Rudolph deliberately, but fact is he did make contact w/the crown, and ET was called mainly because that was the result.

Yep. Probably should be a penalty, and Clowney probably will be fined.

But dirty hit? No. Not even close.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 am
  • Ans:

No! Referees were right on the play and they didn't call it. At the time Went was runner who didn't give himself up so he got hit. BOO HOO!

There appears to be no indicia of any attempt to injure, sad result and whining from butt sore losers from Philly.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:55 am
  • ClippedBird wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Whatever gets you thru the day. You lost, no need to start making excuses.

Did I complain that the Eagles lost and use that as an excuse? I did not. The Seahawks were the better team but come on man. Clowney cheated us out of an opportunity, plain and simple. Karma is a mofo. Go Packers!

Had Wentz remained in the game with no injury and a clear head, they would have lost by a bigger score.
    Last edited by Donn2390 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:08 pm
  • Since Clowney doesn't have a reputation for being dirty, and because his hit could very well have been just a football play gone wrong, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt I think.

To try and interpret his intent, when by all measures he seems to be a good guy, isnt really fair. Football is a lightning fast game and mistakes happen. Penalty? Sure. Pitchforks and Torches?? Cmon man.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:17 pm
  • mrblitz wrote:When McCown came in, it was an upgrade anyway, so it's not clear what the Eagles fans are complaining about. Wentz was a disaster.

Wentz was not a disaster. This play call was though.

ClippedBird
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 pm
  • ClippedBird wrote:
    mrblitz wrote:When McCown came in, it was an upgrade anyway, so it's not clear what the Eagles fans are complaining about. Wentz was a disaster.

Wentz was not a disaster. This play call was though.

Uh-oh. Now you've REALLY ruffled some feathers.

Look, the no-call wasn't Clowney's decision. It was the refs to no-call it, just as it was the refs who called the Clowney on Foles foul last year. You wanna be mad about that decision specifically, you gotta go to the refs.

I myself think this is an area the league is still working out with a lot of gray area. There's not a lot of consistency. And that's where you see J Jones/Josh Allen hit not being called, ET/Mason Rudolph only called when Rudolph is on the ground. At some point, the same is gonna happen with Lamar and with the new generation of mobiles, so the league should just decide what the standard is.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm
  • Yeah, because a 15 yard penalty would have changed the entire game. Because, you know......the Eagles have had great success scoring TD's against the Hawks this year...…...oh wait.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 pm
  • The score was 17-9 with Wentz and a healthier roster, and 17-9 without. If anything, I think Wentz probably fumbles the ball away once and maybe even throws an INT for good measure trying to heroball it in attempt to come from behind, but McCown was out there doing his best Trent Dilfer impression and using conservatism to his advantage.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:44 pm
  • He looked scared in the 1st meeting and the same yesterday. And I like the guy a lot, class dude and a good player.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:49 pm
  • Almost every slo mo replay I've seen so far shows from the point Wentz is already well on his way going to the ground. Look before McDougald trips him up and you'll see Clowney starts his tackling motion almost at the exact same time as Wentz starts going to the ground... maybe a split second after.

So based on reasonable human reaction speed, it's safe to say that the decision to dive at Wentz was made before he started going down, and he was leading with his shoulder. If Wentz stays parallel to the ground, it's a shoulder to shoulder hit. But because Clowney essentially "whiffed" on the contact, his momentum carried his head (unfortunately) where Wentz's head ended up at the eventual point of contact.
    Mindsink
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:51 pm
  • Wentz week 12:
    33/45 256 yds 1 TD 2 INT 75.8 rating

McCown wildcard game:
    18/24 174 yds 0 TD 0 INT 94.8 rating
    Mindsink
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 pm
  • I live in PA an hour outside philly and have been a hawks fan for life and the crying today is unbearable. they act like if wentz played they win the game but fail to remember the first meeting this year where they also lost. wentz isn't even a good qb. sure hes starter worthy but hes far from good. he had one fluke year like most early qbs do. once film has been out on him he hasn't been great. and I don't want to hear 4k yards, everyone does that in today nfl offenses.

and as far as dirty players I used this example all day today. how many times a year do we see a horsecollar happen? numerous times correct. is every player that does a horse collar a dirty player? of course not. they get called for a penalty, player gets up and we go to the next play and chalk it up to being a football play with a player out of good position. now if the same play results in the WR breaking his leg on the horsecollar the player is now considered dirty and should die. its ridiculous. the action is the same, the intent is the same but the result is different. you cant base things on outcomes along. just because wentz ended up hurt doesn't change the situation.

again I live in pa so watched the game with numerous crybaby eagles fans. when the play happened not a single person cried about it or even thought twice about it. wentz continued to play a few plays not one word. then he gos to the locker room and they show the replay and now all of sudden clowney is the dirtiest player ever. again just because of the outcome not because of the play itself.

basically eagles fans are the worst in the world. they get everything they deserve and them crying out of control is nothing new just another Monday. a month ago they all cried how wentz sucks and Pederson should be fired. now hes the next brady and would have clearly won the game even though he lost earlier in the year.

I guarantee I hate their entire fan base WAY more than they hate clowney right now.
    classicaaron
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:30 pm
  • Also, Mccown and the Eagles didn't have a single turnover. They had 5 last time, with Wentz under center the entire game.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 pm
  • Taking a single frame from a series of events and posting it over and over to support your claim is cherry picking at its finest.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:00 pm
  • ClippedBird wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    ClippedBird wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    Cool hypothetical.

I appreciate your honesty. Some fans just cannot accept logic and what their eyes see. ....
    ... What I did not expect was that our franchise QB was going to be speared in the first quarter with a cheap shot that was totally unnecessary when he could of just been touched which has been the norm this year.

If only you could see the hypocrisy in your post. Watch the play in real time, then tell me if logically Clowney could have changed his momentum instantly. If he tries to do what you suggest, he probably would have injured himself contorting his body in an instant. Your slow mo and still frames completely hide that fact. You apparently cannot accept logic and what your eyes see.
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 pm
  • I'm surprised at how much attention it has gotten and continues to get. It's pretty much of a bang, bang play in real time. Both players are diving to the field. Clowney is trying to make a tackle. Technically by rule his helmet really does strike the helmet. So I think it could have been a foul and a 15 yard penalty. It's difficult to say if it was intentional. But I don't think so. It's hard to aim when both players are diving to the ground and both are still moving. Even Wentz was moving. So where Clowney was aiming can change based on Wentz moving too. It's just so hard to calculate that all for a big pass rusher running full speed and diving to make a tackle. I don't think he could even calculate exactly where he was going to hit him. All that said it was helmet to helmet. Probably not intentional. But still a foul that was not called and should have been called.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:05 pm
  • cymatica wrote:
    ClippedBird wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:
    ClippedBird wrote:

I appreciate your honesty. Some fans just cannot accept logic and what their eyes see. ....
    ... What I did not expect was that our franchise QB was going to be speared in the first quarter with a cheap shot that was totally unnecessary when he could of just been touched which has been the norm this year.

If only you could see the hypocrisy in your post. Watch the play in real time, then tell me if logically Clowney could have changed his momentum instantly. If he tries to do what you suggest, he probably would have injured himself contorting his body in an instant. Your slow mo and still frames completely hide that fact. You apparently cannot accept logic and what your eyes see.

This IS an instance where slow-mo and real-time display two completely different scenarios.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:32 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Torc wrote:I do think it deserved a penalty - he DID hit Wentz in the head, and you penalize results, not intent. The penalties, including the inevitable fine, are meant to motivate players to think more about how they're playing the game. But it wasn't 'dirty' in the sense that he was not trying to injure Wentz.

The problem with that is if it's a RB, no one thinks it deserves a penalty. That play would never draw a flag if a RB is carrying the ball. Once it's a QB, even though he's considered a runner, everyone thinks it should be a flag. If it's Philly's RB leaving the game, they wouldn't even know what play knocked him out.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:34 pm
  • anybody have the clip of RW sliding, giving himself up and getting drilled in the back. He winced in pain and I thought it could be bad.

No complaining, just another cheap shot on RW when he slides. Seahawks are pretty used to it.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:05 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:anybody have the clip of RW sliding, giving himself up and getting drilled in the back. He winced in pain and I thought it could be bad.

No complaining, just another cheap shot on RW when he slides. Seahawks are pretty used to it.

Not true, Wilson tends to slide really late when defenders have already begun their approach.

This is also a completely different situation than the Clowney hit.

Clowney clearly went out of his way to intentionally lead with his head/shoulder in order to deliver a bigger blow to back of Wentz.

This is a fascinating case of human psychology. This play is 100 times clearer than Hollister and his non OFFENSIVE PI call. Yet the Seahawk fan can’t admit it.
    Stanley
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 pm
  • Stanley wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:anybody have the clip of RW sliding, giving himself up and getting drilled in the back. He winced in pain and I thought it could be bad.

Not true, Wilson tends to slide really late when defenders have already begun their approach.

Clowney clearly went out of his way to intentionally lead with his head/shoulder in order to deliver a bigger blow to back of Wentz.

This is a fascinating case of human psychology. This play is 100 times clearer than Hollister and his non OFFENSIVE PI call. Yet the Seahawk fan can’t admit it.

so Wilson sliding, apparently late, and getting hit which is a penalty is not.

Wentz, a runner, getting hit is a penalty and obviously intentional after trying to evade MacDougald and getting tripped up.

got it.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:27 pm
  • Stanley wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:anybody have the clip of RW sliding, giving himself up and getting drilled in the back. He winced in pain and I thought it could be bad.

Completely false. Clowney didn't go "out of his way" at all, you are making bs up. He was lunging at Wentz, who was running for a 1st, then dives at him from behind and to the side right as Wentz gets grabbed by the ankle and tripped up, just a fraction of a second before Clowney is in the air. If you bother to watch the play in real time, objectionably, it's very clear it was a bang bang play that was unavoidable.

Seriously, what can he do to avoid the hit mid air? You tell me. Should Clowney have moved his head over to the right probably resulting in a neck injury? Should he have belly flopped exposing his ribs? Maybe he should have used the 10 seconds of slow motion that you have access to, then he could have stopped mid air and gracefully spanked Wentz on the butt.

Some of you are unbelievable, but you would probably be fine with Clowney injuring himself to go out of his way in .25 seconds to miss a moving target. :roll:
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 pm
  • Stanley wrote:

You came back over here, just for this??

Don't you have a talented Vikings team to worry about this weekend? Why are you back over here?

Oh and PS, you are still wrong. It was PI. And your Clowney take is absolute trash.

Go Vikings. :49ersmall:
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:34 pm
  • And while we are at it, Wilson did get thrown to the ground several seconds after a throw while in the pocket. Blatant roughing, no flag. No one cares because he is durable and can take it. There's NEVER a peep about the cheap shots he always takes.
    It's because Seattle is the leagues pariah. Complete hypocrisy
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:All this silliness about rules that apply to a PASSER, when Wentz was a RUNNER who did not give himself up. Clowney is chasing him and trying to make a diving tackle from behind, a type of tackle he made several times this game, including a tackle on McCown from behind. When you are trying to make a tackle like that, it's natural for the player's head to be forward. No dirtiness, and the hit came from an acceleration action that whipped Wentz head into the ground.

If Wentz doesn't want to get hit, he needed to slide and give himself up. End of story.

Russell deals with that at least one time a game, if you run your goin g to get hit and they hit Wilson a lot harder and more frequently.
    I agree with this. RW get spiked multiple times when he gives himself up. There has been a majority of those spikes that hit him square in the helmet and no flag. I feel bad for Wentz but Clowney was playing hard through the whistle on a QB who was running. Clowney is in no way a dirty player!
    BubbaGump
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:33 pm

• Clowney was not penalized for his hit on Wentz and after the game, on-field officials ruled that Wentz was a runner and the helmet contact was incidental.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020 ... son-wentz/
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:10 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Clowney was not penalized for his hit on Wentz and after the game, on-field officials ruled that Wentz was a runner and the helmet contact was incidental.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020 ... son-wentz/

So the initial feeling is that he probably won’t be fined, and yet we still have niner and eagle fans saying it was malicious, cheap, dirty and worthy of ejection??

Time to let it go.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information