Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RW can't win without a great run game...

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
RW can't win without a great run game...
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm
  • has been PC's philosophy.

Today he finally let the offense partially go away from that and it worked.

Will this game help PC be a little more open minded in future games?
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• Carroll will NEVER change his mind IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• He had better be more "open-minded" next week than he was today.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• We wouldn’t have won if Russell hadn’t run great tonight!
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• This year's Seahawks are more reliant on Wilson's completion percentage on potential chunk plays than I've ever seen with this team before.

The plus side is that Wilson is probably the best chunk plays QB in the NFL this year. The downside is that even with the best those are low percentage plays that are infrequent. The difference between success on four of five or two of five of those a game is just a razor thin margin.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:has been PC's philosophy.

The best teams left can run the ball. It still works today. With the OL and RBS hurt he has to change.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• Went better than last year's WC when they couldn't run the ball, at least this time they realized they weren't going to win the game running against a brick wall and to actually let Russ take over the game.
    Polk738
    NET Starter

• Polk738 wrote:Went better than last year's WC when they couldn't run the ball, at least this time they realized they weren't going to win the game running against a brick wall and to actually let Russ take over the game.

Yes. Shotty learned from last years debacle. We passed a lot this game and only ran to essentially set up the play action shots.

Much better gameplan.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• justafan wrote:
    renofox wrote:has been PC's philosophy.

The best teams left can run the ball. It still works today. With the OL and RBS hurt he has to change.

PC has consistently refused to go away from the run game (until midway through the 4th qtr) in plenty of games that resulted in a Seahawks loss. See last year's WC game.

In this game he minimized the run game beginning in Q1.

I hope this is a sign of better game planning to come.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    justafan wrote:

PC has consistently refused to go away from the run game (until midway through the 4th qtr) in plenty of games that resulted in a Seahawks loss. See last year's WC game.

Agreed if not for oline penalties I suspect t we score even more.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:Yes. Shotty learned from last years debacle. We passed a lot this game and only ran to essentially set up the play action shots.

Much better gameplan.

+1 thank goodness, shotty’s not a doorknob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mort
    NET Starter

• Pete Carroll has always appreciated run / pass balance. That sentiment is a matter of record in his transcripts.

Excellent play calls by the offensive coordinator tonight.

But the offense might have been upstaged by the defense ................ a defense credited with 11 tackles for losses and seven sacks. And then there are all those QB hurries and hits that were not listed as official NFL statistics.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• mort wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:Yes. Shotty learned from last years debacle. We passed a lot this game and only ran to essentially set up the play action shots.

Much better gameplan.

Plays
    40 pass
    17 rush

This was not Schotty. He doesn't make this radical of a gameplan - PC does.

PC actually game planned a pass first offense. Don't think I've ever seen this before.

Maybe he read all the complaints in this forum (lol) and loosened up a little.

Even PC is never too old to learn. We can only hope.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:Pete Carroll has always appreciated run / pass balance. That sentiment is a matter of record in his transcripts.

But the offense might have been upstaged by the defense ................ a defense credited with 11 tackles for losses and seven sacks. And then there are all those QB hurries and hits that were not listed as official NFL statistics.

Even if nobody wants to admit it, having Diggs back, helped free up the WHOLE Defensive scheme.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:
    Jville wrote:Pete Carroll has always appreciated run / pass balance. That sentiment is a matter of record in his transcripts.

Even if nobody wants to admit it, having Diggs back, helped free up the WHOLE Defensive scheme.

Your absolutely right about Diggs return. Huge difference maker. They are a different team with Diggs on the field.
    Huge Defensive Night :2thumbs:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Popeyejones wrote:This year's Seahawks are more reliant on Wilson's completion percentage on potential chunk plays than I've ever seen with this team before.

The plus side is that Wilson is probably the best chunk plays QB in the NFL this year. The downside is that even with the best those are low percentage plays that are infrequent. The difference between success on four of five or two of five of those a game is just a razor thin margin.

This year's Seahawks are actually taking more advantage of quick short throws and check downs. Not just chunk plays. 2017, and 2018 the team was more reliant on chunk plays. This year the passing game has been more expanded with short, intermediate, and deep routes. The offense took a step back when Lockett and Brown got injured
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:

PC actually game planned a pass first offense. Don't think I've ever seen this before.

Do you have any facts to back this up or is it just pure speculation? Don't answer. It was rhetorical.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:Pete Carroll has always appreciated run / pass balance. That sentiment is a matter of record in his transcripts.

I know the defense played great in the Red Zone but although they only allowed 9 points, I was upset with them the way they allowed McCown to dictate the game. Ansah got outrun by a freakin 40 year old lol. Unbelievable.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Scorpion05 wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:This year's Seahawks are more reliant on Wilson's completion percentage on potential chunk plays than I've ever seen with this team before.

This year's Seahawks are actually taking more advantage of quick short throws and check downs. Not just chunk plays. 2017, and 2018 the team was more reliant on chunk plays. This year the passing game has been more expanded with short, intermediate, and deep routes. The offense took a step back when Lockett and Brown got injured

Sometimes they do, sometimmes they play that old, style run at all cost throw long crap. Here is hoping whatever got into them remains, we play the tempo, quick passing game we can beat any0one, we go back to the run and throw long we will loose...alot.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Scorpion05 wrote:
    Jville wrote:Pete Carroll has always appreciated run / pass balance. That sentiment is a matter of record in his transcripts.

I know the defense played great in the Red Zone but although they only allowed 9 points, I was upset with them the way they allowed McCown to dictate the game. Ansah got outrun by a freakin 40 year old lol. Unbelievable.

Yeah, I posted this elsewhere, but they had seven sacks yet somehow managed to get zero pressure on McCown all day long. I think all of them were pure coverage sacks.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    justafan wrote:

This offense including Wilson are more efficient when we run the ball. The brightest coaches in the last 50 years believe running the ball helps your QB. Its still true today and best offensive coaches in the league today still believe it.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    mort wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:Yes. Shotty learned from last years debacle. We passed a lot this game and only ran to essentially set up the play action shots.

Much better gameplan.

Plays
    40 pass
    17 rush

Passing wasn't the game plan. It was Homer 11 rushes for 12 yards and Lynch 6 rushes for 7 yards that forced it. Homer had 1 rush for 12 yards so 10 rushes for 0.... Credit for not totally Dallasing it up

Problem with Schotty is just 0 creativity. Can we get more motion, misdirection, Hollister down the seam, reverses, screens, move the pocket? anything besides if the 4 run plays aren't working just drop back in the pocket.

When he play faked to Lynch and passed to him I nearly fainted. More doing what hey aren't expecting.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:
    renofox wrote:

Do you have any facts to back this up or is it just pure speculation? Don't answer. It was rhetorical.

If you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush without PC's input, I have to wonder if you pay attention to anything that's happened since PC has been HC.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to walk you through a simple chain of logic.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    renofox wrote:

If you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush without PC's input, I have to wonder if you pay attention to anything that's happened since PC has been HC.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to walk you through a simple chain of logic.

I wasn’t questioning Pete’s input in the game plan, I was questioning your inference that Schottenheimer had nothing to do with it and that you have any knowledge of the dynamic between the two and what goes on in that facility during the week. No one here has a clue.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:I wasn’t questioning Pete’s input in the game plan, I was questioning your inference that Schottenheimer had nothing to do with it and that you have any knowledge of the dynamic between the two and what goes on in that facility during the week. No one here has a clue.

It's really not that hard to figure out. Carroll is a coach, and very, very good one at that. If one just backs up and says, "given this set of circumstances, what would an excellent coach, and coaching staff, who really, really want to win, do? " and go over the obvious and not-so-obvious answers, and expect Carroll & Co. will do that.

It gets muddled at times here because of all the second-guessing, "Pete is an old dog who can't learn new tricks", and other rubbish some posters here spew. Hell, Pete has already reinvented himself about 5 times in his coaching career.

I think it's pretty clear that Carroll and Schotty revisited the Dallas loss this week and talked it over and came in with a plan A, plan B, and plan C. And they were ready with adjustments based on how the game played out.
    Last edited by olyfan63 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Take away Wilson's runs, Lynch and had 19 yards between them.
    SPIRITOF12
    NET Starter

• justafan wrote:

We all saw the graphic showing the 4 best passing teams in the NFL this year (all out of the playoffs) and the 4 best running teams (all in the playoffs)

Part of the narrative here about Pete being "passed by" is based on our run first philosophy. Clearly people here are wrong in that portion of the argument. Run first offense still is very much a great plan of attack.

Now all that said, we have questionable current talent at RB and an all pro QB, so pass first should probably be the way to go from here on out.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• The question is can they keep this going, can PC and Schotty stay out of their own way and run the offense that suites us best, the quick tempo, quick hitting, layered passing offense. we will see.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:
    renofox wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    renofox wrote:

I wasn’t questioning Pete’s input in the game plan, I was questioning your inference that Schottenheimer had nothing to do with it and that you have any knowledge of the dynamic between the two and what goes on in that facility during the week. No one here has a clue.

I never said Schotty was not involved in the game plan.

I said that the decision to go extreme pass-first was such a radical decision (compared to PC gameplan philosophy) that it had to have been a conscious decision made by PC.

If you disagree, that's fine.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    justafan wrote:

We all saw the graphic showing the 4 best passing teams in the NFL this year (all out of the playoffs) and the 4 best running teams (all in the playoffs)

Part of the narrative here about Pete being "passed by" is based on our run first philosophy. Clearly people here are wrong in that portion of the argument. Run first offense still is very much a great plan of attack.

Now all that said, we have questionable current talent at RB and an all pro QB, so pass first should probably be the way to go from here on out.

Pete is about *balance*. He ran just enough to keep the Eagles defense committed to the run, so that the passing would work better. Yes, the runs weren't working worth crap. That meant the Eagles D was still committed there. Schotty, Pete, and Russell then found ways to exploit that with passing. Pete, Schotty, Russell, all on the same page. This is a result of soul-searching by Pete and Co. after the Dallas loss last year, and learning from it, and putting into practice what they learned.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• olyfan63 wrote:This is a result of soul-searching by Pete and Co. after the Dallas loss last year, and learning from it, and putting into practice what they learned.

I am hoping this is true. I am tired of watching the Seahawks spending 3+ quarters sticking with a run-first game plan when it's not working.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    renofox wrote:

I agree Colonel Jessup..!!
    slateman77
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• The Eagles committed their entire defense to crowding the box and our receivers. They dared us to beat them down the field, and DK made them pay. But this wasn’t a Schotty or Pete scheme thing, this was adjusting to the defense.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:This is a result of soul-searching by Pete and Co. after the Dallas loss last year, and learning from it, and putting into practice what they learned.

I am hoping this is true. I am tired of watching the Seahawks spending 3+ quarters sticking with a run-first game plan when it's not working.

I've been in much lower-stakes settings as a coach, why did we lose, and what adjustments can we make for next time, and that's what a good coach does after a painful loss. Pete is an EXCELLENT coach, across the board. This win is a direct result of the Dallass loss last year. Plus the development of better communication between Pete and Schotty during the intervening year. And can you believe Pete, Schotty, Russell, throwing the BOMB to DK to get that last first down to ice the game? THAT is how bad Pete Carroll wants to win. That $h!t, bomb to DK to get a first down to ice the game, does not happen without Pete & Co. doing some serious soul-searching. Old Pete would have run Lynch into the line, gotten stuffed, and had to punt and give the Eagles another shot.

A lot of posters here need to give Pete room to grow and learn from his mistakes. He's not done growing and learning. But Pete is a "show me" kind of guy, show him that it's a BETTER course of action than what he's been doing. IMO, Dallass playoff loss last year showed him.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    renofox wrote:

Without a linked source, it's just anonymous numbers by a questionable source. Like any community, we have our share of community members that make stuff up.

Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:
    renofox wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    renofox wrote:

Without a linked source, it's just anonymous numbers by a questionable source. Like any community, we have our share of community members that make stuff up.

Stick with reliable sources. I'm reading 30 pass attempts and 26 (rushing) carries from this official NFL source >>> https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020010501/2019/WC1/seahawks@eagles?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2020010501

Probably counting RW's 9 rushes as passes. Can make sense that way. Maybe a couple were planned rushes?
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Smellyman wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    renofox wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

Probably counting RW's 9 rushes as passes. Can make sense that way. Maybe a couple were planned rushes?

Espn has 30 passes adn 26 rushes counting Wilson 9, without his rushing we avg 1.1 ypc yikes. Wilson was our run game and pretty much our offense. He accounted for 370 of the 389 yards we had or 95%, PC will not like that at all.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    olyfan63 wrote:This is a result of soul-searching by Pete and Co. after the Dallas loss last year, and learning from it, and putting into practice what they learned.

we will see, PC fooled me in 2015
    Fooled me earlier this year

But every time I think he has turned the corner if the run game shows any signs of working back to the old run at all cost, throw long and nothing else.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:has been PC's philosophy.

Also not sure PC thinks Wilson cant win without a run game ,he just wants to run at all cost, 2 different things. Wilson has won a lot of game with little to no run game. No one who really watches and knows football thinks Wilson cant win without a run game.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:
    renofox wrote:Do you really think that Schotty could call 40pass/17rush...

RW's rush attempts were on broken pass plays. At least I did not see 1 designed QB run play called.

30 att + 9 scrambles + 1 sack = 40 CALLED pass plays
    17 rush attempts by RBs = 17 CALLED rush plays
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• renofox wrote:
    Jville wrote:

RW's rush attempts were on broken pass plays. At least I did not see 1 designed QB run play called.

Your "unofficial" version does fit your narrative. But it is not what the rest of us are using. There were numerous Russell Wilson runs called to force the Eagles to commit a spy because a spy pulled from coverage assignment opens up the passing game. That's reflected in the official NFL stats.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Maybe there’s a bigger effect on setting the D up than I am aware of but way too many runs up the middle when it wasn’t there for my liking. Especially with Homer.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:Your "unofficial" version does fit your narrative. But it is not what the rest of us are using. There were numerous Russell Wilson runs called to force the Eagles to commit a spy because a spy pulled from coverage assignment opens up the passing game. That's reflected in the official NFL stats.

NO!! Say it isn't so, Joe! Carroll and Schotty having a pssing-based game-plan, and coming up with a devious wrinkle to pull an Eagles pass defender out of pass coverage? NO!! Carroll isn't capable of such things!! Sacrilege! Heresy!

Do you realize this is like, cold, hard evidence of Carroll and Schotty coming in with a passing-centric game plan? This is just SO counter to all the Pete Carroll stereotypes and cliches on .NET. I refuse to believe it! Do I really need to say...? :sarcasm_off:

In other words...
    WINNING is more important to Pete Carroll than winning HIS WAY?
    and also...
    Carroll will actually adjust the game plan to the opponent and the known circumstances, instead of just insisting on "IMPOSING OUR WILL" on them?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Jville wrote:
    renofox wrote:
    Jville wrote:

Your "unofficial" version does fit your narrative. But it is not what the rest of us are using. There were numerous Russell Wilson runs called to force the Eagles to commit a spy because a spy pulled from coverage assignment opens up the passing game. That's reflected in the official NFL stats.

I am. It convinced any of his runs were designed. But who knows for sure. All I know is they better have another next week, we will not beat GB running it.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Pete has never said Russell can’t win without a run game. Using the run to help set up the pass game has always been his philosophy. He wants balance. That was true before he ever arrived in Seattle.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Philly had the #3 Run d in the NFL so it's no surprise we leaned on the pass against their #19 in the league

Next week GB has the 23rd Best Run D so I imagine we can take advantage of that a little bit more an maybe just maybe Duane Brown will be back. Even if not Jones and Fant are probably getting better by the game. Even if not their #13 Pass D will leave holes for our offense to exploit.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• Every QB is better with a great running game. It opens so much stuff up for the passing game and takes a lot of pressure off of you. Of course he can win some games without an ideal running game. But doing so consistently game after game against elite competition is extremely hard. Like playoff competition. You just have to do it and see how long you can ride it. It's not ideal. But I think Russell Wilson is a very good QB and can carry you and win for you when needed. In the playoffs of course you would want to be balanced and healthy. But you have the situation you have. So like anything in life you must proceed forward and make the most of it.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Veteran

• Smellyman wrote:
    renofox wrote:
    mort wrote:

Much better gameplan.

Plays
    40 pass
    17 rush

Passing wasn't the game plan. It was Homer 11 rushes for 12 yards and Lynch 6 rushes for 7 yards that forced it. Homer had 1 rush for 12 yards so 10 rushes for 0.... Credit for not totally Dallasing it up

Problem with Schotty is just 0 creativity. Can we get more motion, misdirection, Hollister down the seam, reverses, screens, move the pocket? anything besides if the 4 run plays aren't working just drop back in the pocket.

When he play faked to Lynch and passed to him I nearly fainted. More doing what hey aren't expecting.

Between the o-linemen and Hollister getting all the false starts there were times it was hard for them to get into a rhythm. They had plenty of situations where Schotty got hamstrung in the play calling, but thankfully Wilson and the offense were able to grind it out and have a pretty good day anyways.
    niveky
    NET Veteran

• He was flat out NAILS. Yet again. But I suspect that a guy who accounts for over 90 percent of the offense will still somehow have people downplay it. Good, he'll just keep winning. His whole career we have heard from people what he "can't do"
    He hasn't had his best games the last few weeks, but when it's clutch time in the playoffs, few do it better. Like someone mentioned, EVERY QB is going to be better with a running game. They were surprising bad in the run game, but credit to the Eagles for shutting it down. However, Russ and that offense flat out CAN win a game w/mainly using the passing attack. They've done it plenty of times over the years.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Keep in mind that Iupati will be back next game so that will help the run.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information