Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When will Wilson get those sliding calls?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Seems like Wilson feels he doesn't the calls with the late hit.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... /#comments

Last week, he definitely got hit by two defenders late when he slides & that pretty much "woke" him and went on a tear after the no call. Im hoping he still angry...

Now that he is in the top 10 of the decade, do you think Wilson will get the calls? Will he start getting more or do you feel he already gets calls.

Discuss
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• He needs to start his slide just a tad bit earlier to get those calls.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Russ sometimes starts the slide AFTER defenders leap to stop him. So at the time of that defender's motion, he's still an eligible runner but isn't once he's initiated the slide. At that point, the defender can't correct his action.

Are these cases judged by when the defender initiated contact (i.e, the leap on a running Russ) or is it always just based on whether he's sliding when the contact actually happens?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:He needs to start his slide just a tad bit earlier to get those calls.

Disagree. The rule is not evenly applied.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 2_0_6 wrote:He needs to start his slide just a tad bit earlier to get those calls.

More like he needs to grow another four inches and only pass from the pocket to get the old fuddy duddy respect needed to get those calls.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• He'll get those calls when he starts playing for one of "those" franchises. You all know who they are, and since he's here for life he'll never get those calls. He'll get killed before the NFL admits that sort of thing is a thing.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• As much as I do not like Cam Newton, he got even fewer of these types of calls. The rules are not applied evenly. Surprise!
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

LOL I heard it all, now its Wilson fault when he slides and gets hit he does not get the call. LOL
    John63
    NET Veteran

• From here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rterbacks/

January 2, 2020 at 8:40 pm
    To be more objective I found a web site that lists the number of times defenders have been called for roughing the passer after they hit a quarterback. Between 2009 and 2019, 28 defendeers have been given roughing the passer penalties after hitting Wilson. The numbers are similar for Drew Brees (29), Tom Brady (28), Aaron Rodgers (31), Cam Newton (30), Jay Culter (30) and Matt Ryan (39).

If we count the number of times defenders have been called for roughing after sacking quarterbacks, Wilson has been sacked 386 times. That translates into 1 roughing the passer penalty every 13.15 times Wilson was sacked. Aaron Rodgers have been sacked 445 times, and that translates into 1 roughing penalty called every 14.4 sacks. So, if anything, Wilson is more likely to get a roughing the passer penalty than Aaron Rodgers if he is sacked. Tom Brady has been sacked 334 times, so that translates into 1 roughing penalty every 11.9 times he was sacked, slightly higher than Wilson. Numbers do not lie. Wilson is not treated any differently by referees than other quarterbacks around the league.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:From here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rterbacks/

To be more objective I found a web site that lists the number of times defenders have been called for roughing the passer after they hit a quarterback. Between 2009 and 2019, 28 defendeers have been given roughing the passer penalties after hitting Wilson. The numbers are similar for Drew Brees (29), Tom Brady (28), Aaron Rodgers (31), Cam Newton (30), Jay Culter (30) and Matt Ryan (39).

If we count the number of times defenders have been called for roughing after sacking quarterbacks, Wilson has been sacked 386 times. That translates into 1 roughing the passer penalty every 13.15 times Wilson was sacked. Aaron Rodgers have been sacked 445 times, and that translates into 1 roughing penalty called every 14.4 sacks. So, if anything, Wilson is more likely to get a roughing the passer penalty than Aaron Rodgers if he is sacked. Tom Brady has been sacked 334 times, so that translates into 1 roughing penalty every 11.9 times he was sacked, slightly higher than Wilson. Numbers do not lie. Wilson is not treated any differently by referees than other quarterbacks around the league.

You can't make a blind comparison this way, because Wilson runs around a lot more than any of those guys. Plus, the "after sacking quarterbacks" part is very limiting; what about when the QB isn't sacked?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• ^ roughing calls per sack (which they're doing) is IMO almost definitely the best in a sea of imperfect measures on this.

As for the article, my read is that Florio is doing his typical Florio thing and trying to squeeze conflict out of a totally (standard) non-commital and innocuous quote from Wilson.

Re sliding and penalities, it will NEVER happen, but I think it's generally over-called, and QBs need to be held more responsible for not abusing it. Make it like traveling in the NBA, once you start your slide the defender gets one free step to still hit you, but if they take two steps from the start of you slide and still hit you it's a penalty. All this stuff would go away instantly.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• I wish the Florio commenter had told us what Web site he's getting his info from.

As it is though, it's not said what fraction of the hits are on slides. Among his list, AR's the best comparison.

Here's the actual rule:

(1) A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. This does not mean that all contact by a defender is
    illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is not a foul unless the defender
    commits some other act
    , such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by driving his forearm or shoulder into the head or neck
    area of the runner.
    (2) A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is responsible for starting his slide before contact by a
    defensive player is imminent
    ; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his slide, he puts himself in
    jeopardy of being contacted.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... Scrimm.pdf

So the question is do the refs think the defender has committed and contact is unavoidable. There's no review. There's just what they think in the moment.

But the gist of the rule itself is to exempt defenders who took action just beforehand.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:From here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rterbacks/

A personal foul for hitting a defenseless player like a sliding QB, is not a roughing the passer call.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

• I can't honestly think of one slide where i thought they should have throw a flag or at least not one that i was upset that they didn't throw a flag.
    Last edited by getnasty on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• When he changes his name to Rodgers Brady Mahomes....
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• For being a baseball player he has one of the ugliest slides in the league, he does it late and he seems to dig in a cleat like he has a bag in front of him to pop up to instead of sliding on his hip and not grabbing turf like NFL slides are suppose to be like. I have seen him look like he grabbed to much with his cleat and end up limping more then once.

Secondly sliding late you have defenders already launching or in launch mode, harder to get late calls that way.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• As jeremiah points out roughing the passer is a completely different penalty and is not a good proxy for this subject.

chris98251 wrote:For being a baseball player he has one of the ugliest slides in the league, he does it late and he seems to dig in a cleat like he has a bag in front of him to pop up to instead of sliding on his hip and not grabbing turf like NFL slides are suppose to be like.

Yeah, Russ slides like he is sliding into a base and sometimes it looks very awkward when his cleats catch. Since he is a student of the game he should study guys like Vick who were masters at it.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• I haven't felt that egregious roughing calls were ignored. Did Wilson get hit? Yes, Did he get big hits on slides? No. Based on what I saw, does what was called align with the rule as posted by SantaClaraHawk? Yes.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• A penalty for roughing Russell Wilson is called at a rate of 0.20 times per game. For comparisons sake: Brady: 0.14; Brees: 0.16; Rodgers: 0.18; Roethlisberger: 0.14; Newton: 0.23

On the surface, accounting for style of play, Big Ben probably has the most valid gripe.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Surely you have to do it by QB hit rather than sack - you are more likely to get a roughing the passer call if you get the ball away and THEN get hit, whereas if you are sacked it's usually going to be a clean hit.

If someone is getting hit more and getting less penalties, then it's more likely they are being treated differently.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• QBs that are known scramblers seemed to get less calls ; probably because sometimes they appear to set themselves up for the calls and the officials are watching for that . Wilson's late slides may look like he is asking for a flag to an official ...hard to say for sure .
    xray
    NET Veteran

• It happened NUMEROUS times in the Niners game. Magically, it was never called. It does seem like he gets blasted late quite a bit.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• 206 is right, he often slides later than you would have to in order to receive such a call. Rodgers got a call because it looked like a blow to the head, not because it was late.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• In the Niners game in Santa Clara, Russ got clocked after the fact numerous times. It wasn't called once. Even the Niner loving announcers mentioned it a few times.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Russ does slide late a lot, AND he does take a lot of little jabs and elbows that could be deemed as roughing.

He also got a HUGE roughing call in the Rams game when Matthews hit him late.

So when will Russell get those calls? Never if he keeps doing his little hop slide late. You want the calls, slide earlier.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• olyfan63 wrote:I haven't felt that egregious roughing calls were ignored. Did Wilson get hit? Yes, Did he get big hits on slides? No. Based on what I saw, does what was called align with the rule as posted by SantaClaraHawk? Yes.

Agreed. I don't know who started this narrative, PFT or whoever, but I can't remember a lot of times where I thought we got screwed in a game over one of these no-calls.

He slides late and takes some glancing blows. If he got really slugged, we'd get the call. The NFL loves Russell Wilson, he's more likely to get special treatment than most other QBs.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• Watch the replay of the game out in Santa Clara. He got blasted a few times and even the announcers said it should have been called. It's ridiculous.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Well one good thing is a late hit seemed to pull him out of his slump right?
    So that one I can forgive.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Russ does slide late a lot, AND he does take a lot of little jabs and elbows that could be deemed as roughing.

So when will Russell get those calls? Never if he keeps doing his little hop slide late. You want the calls, slide earlier.

LOl I hate to bust y our and Tical bubbles, but he does not slide any later than any other QB in fact sometimes he slides earlier then them.. But please go ahead blame him for not getting obvious calls. Lets blame him for the fire sin Australia to. I expect that form Tical but some of you others are just pathetic.

I mean lets see if he slides early you will complain he left yards on the field, if he slides late you complain he is not getting the call, and I guess if he slid perfect to you, would complain about something else.

Given the SF announcers were saying he should be getting those call he was doing it right. But hey again lets not let facts get in the way of your false narratives, and thanks for feeding Tical anti Wilson campaign thats what we need, more factless hating on our players. Oh wait its not our players just our QB. IAL
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Russ does slide late a lot, AND he does take a lot of little jabs and elbows that could be deemed as roughing.

LOl I hate to bust y our and Tical bubbles, but he does not slide any later than any other QB in fact sometimes he slides earlier then them.. But please go ahead blame him for not getting obvious calls. Lets blame him for the fire sin Australia to. I expect that form Tical but some of you others are just pathetic.

I mean lets see if he slides early you will complain he left yards on the field, if he slides late you complain he is not getting the call, and I guess if he slid perfect to you, would complain about something else.

Given the SF announcers were saying he should be getting those call he was doing it right. But hey again lets not let facts get in the way of your false narratives, and thanks for feeding Tical anti Wilson campaign thats what we need, more factless hating on our players. Oh wait its not our players just our QB. IAL

Is this one of those "the league and refs hate us" things, or are you guys actually open to being objective about what's going on.

If you watch Russell, and most other naturally athletic mobile QB's, they also don't get the late hit slide calls.....and in Russell's case, he does slide late because he's trying to get every inch of yardage. He knows if he slides early the balls going to be marked back...........so he waits until the last second.

So the refs most of the time give the defender the benefit. Is there some funny business with an elbow or push here or there? Sure, but if it was my defense? I sure as hell don't want the refs calling that ticky tack shove.

Objectivity, you guys should check it out. It's very liberating. It allows you to watch the Hawks without freaking out every game thinking the whole world is against us for reason whatsoever.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Nobody said the world is against us. It's all a matter of opinion. He gets blasted sometimes and it doesn't get called. Guys like Rodgers and Lord Brady get breathed on and it gets called.
    It's not just Russ though, other QB's deal with the same crap.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Russ does slide late a lot, AND he does take a lot of little jabs and elbows that could be deemed as roughing.

Is this one of those "the league and refs hate us" things, or are you guys actually open to being objective about what's going on.

If you watch Russell, and most other naturally athletic mobile QB's, they also don't get the late hit slide calls.....and in Russell's case, he does slide late because he's trying to get every inch of yardage. He knows if he slides early the balls going to be marked back...........so he waits until the last second.

So the refs most of the time give the defender the benefit. Is there some funny business with an elbow or push here or there? Sure, but if it was my defense? I sure as hell don't want the refs calling that ticky tack shove.

Objectivity, you guys should check it out. It's very liberating. It allows you to watch the Hawks without freaking out every game thinking the whole world is against us for reason whatsoever.

My issue is not if he gets the call or not, it's the stupidity of saying its Wilson's fault.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Sometimes two defenders would hit Wilson and no call when he slides. Didn't look like a late slide to me and Wilson is not the type of player that complains when getting hit. Also seem to give him a bad spot when he scramble run.

I think this year though, he has been getting more calls on roughing the passer. As i was watching this year, there were a couple i said wow they actually called that, ill take it...Then there are obvious no calls when he clearly threw the ball already & gets crushed.

Wilson is clearly a superstar & this year media heads are talking about him & is being recognize as the best pure qb in the nfl currently. Maybe he will start getting calls.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• If Wilson is not getting those calls it means he is pushing the envelope really closely in an attempt to be drawing penalties instead of protecting himself.

Deserves the no call and/or the annihilation that follows.

If you're gonna be the slipperiest SOB in the history of the league at QB, don't try to have your cake and eat it too, just go down early. Any QB that absof***lutely needs the conversion in crunch time will go head first every time.......so it's not like we're inhibiting anyone's game.

Sorry guys, Mr. Best Instincts in football gets no sympathy on me from this. I see exploitation from him, not misfortune.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• More spin by Florio. Russell was asked if he thought different players were treated differently and he said "I don't know, I don't want top get in to that. There's an elbow here or there that might be late. "

Another fabricated Russell said statement.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• NINEster wrote:If Wilson is not getting those calls it means he is pushing the envelope really closely in an attempt to be drawing penalties instead of protecting himself.

Deserves the no call and/or the annihilation that follows.

If you're gonna be the slipperiest SOB in the history of the league at QB, don't try to have your cake and eat it too, just go down early. Any QB that absof***lutely needs the conversion in crunch time will go head first every time.......so it's not like we're inhibiting anyone's game.

Sorry guys, Mr. Best Instincts in football gets no sympathy on me from this. I see exploitation from him, not misfortune.

Imagine a niner fan being so.. hateful to our QB wow color me surprised....not. troll go away.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:More spin by Florio. Russell was asked if he thought different players were treated differently and he said "I don't know, I don't want top get in to that. There's an elbow here or there that might be late. "

Another fabricated Russell said statement.

Agree that sad part is the few so called hawks fans who blame Wilson for it. The rule says once you start your slide you must avoid. Hate to say it but Wilson, like other moving QBs have been hit with no call while Brady and other non moving QBs get the call. tt has nothing to do with the so called lateness of his slide. That's just an excuse by some who want to blame something on Wilson.

So Like I said Floriio did make something out of nothing but the truly SAD part is the so called fans who blame Wilson and one person with nothing but hate for Wilson who is worthless.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• A commentator on NFL Radio said the officiating crew for our game is number 1 in calling roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness. Maybe Russ gets some calls here.
    Keyhawk
    NET Starter

• Can anyone remember which games this year that Wilson got hit but no calls when sliding? A video would be great.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, it somehow being Russ' fault is laughable at best. So if he gets drilled and it SHOULD be called, but isn't......way to go Russ. :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• rcaido wrote:Can anyone remember which games this year that Wilson got hit but no calls when sliding? A video would be great.

Well the San Francisco game down there was one. Rams game another.

No coincidence that they are our most heated games either, the extra shove, hit and stuff happens in division games.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information