Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No salary cap on asst coaches.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
No salary cap on asst coaches.
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:07 am
  • I think it's high time Pete Carroll hired an assistant coach who's whole job is to have a mic that's attached to his headset, in order to tell him when he needs to call a timeout and when he doesn't. Shouldn't break the bank. Heck, I'd do it for free tickets!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Re: No salary cap on asst coaches.
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:25 am
  • This^^^^^
    Enough is enough. Game after game his time management is killing this team. It really does feel like Russ has to outplay bad coaching quite a bit. Wasting timeouts, crap time management is bad coaching imo.
    No reason they can't have someone in his ear or his grill telling him what to do w/time management. Not that they should have to. You would think this problem would get better. For some reason, him blowing those timeouts on Sunday just put me over the top on even trying to stick up for the guy anymore.
    Not being prepared with plays at the end of the game is nothing new, but it's not acceptable. Pete seemed to have very little urgency and him wasting those last 2 timeouts absolutely killed the end of that game.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:37 am
  • Clint Hurt is our Assist HC...

Now... whether that position has ACTUALLY EVER done ANYTHING for our team in Carrolls time here... I do not really know

I mean at one point Cable was Assistant Head Coach... and Ill admit I don't remember if time management was any better then. (It's always been pretty bad I will admit though)
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:57 am
  • Let's see here. The "problem" is that Pete is confused on the sideline and can't make the right decisions, right?

Your proposed solution is to hook up another guy to yell into his ear at crucial times, barking suggestions.

Yeah, that'll help.

:34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:37 pm
  • sutz wrote:Let's see here. The "problem" is that Pete is confused on the sideline and can't make the right decisions, right?

Your proposed solution is to hook up another guy to yell into his ear at crucial times, barking suggestions.

Yeah, that'll help.

.......... wow really? :34853_doh:
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:26 pm
  • sutz wrote:Let's see here. The "problem" is that Pete is confused on the sideline and can't make the right decisions, right?

Yeah, that'll help.

Well, I suggested *me* so of course it would help! Duh! :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 pm
  • So the Seahawks need a Head Coach Coach? lol

Where do you find one of those?
    renofox
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:38 pm
  • Yeah, Pete is trying to do too much stuff game-time, too little attention available to do everything he's trying to do.
    I recall coaching a soccer team with 11 spots and 18 players and trying to arrange rotations so every player played at least 1/2 the game. While also rewarding those with the best practice attendance and performance with extra rotations, and keeping the essential "backbone" players in position, etc. The best I could do was to draw up a written rotation plan and have an assistant handle player rotations while I focused on the game and situations and adjustments. I only intervened with the subbing for specific situational needs/adjustments, injuries, over-matched player(s) to adjust for, and such, Otherwise, it's just way too much to think about. It also left me attention available to have 1-on-1 coaching conversations with players on the sidelines, when they're generally in a teachable state. Pete just has too much on his attention plate during games. It's partly a function of being in coaching forever, but the game is just so increasingly fast and unpredictable the last few years.

Pete needs to make adjustments, like have another coach responsible for challenges, have some pre-thought-out "automatics" in for special situations, use situational analytics more for some decisions, etc. and just generally improve the game-day communication structure and protocol so it's not just his judgment, and he can focus on the truly critical things, matchups, adjustments, etc., and I'd say, help Norton out more with the defense.

I'll give Pete credit for one "automatic" we see at times, where after a play that could be reviewed, Russell gets the team to the line to run a play before the opponent can review the last play for a potential challenge.

Pete has a ready supply of game-day decision makers and analytics guys, all he needs to do is surf .NET for a couple hours and call his guys in for tryouts. Then have the team work with the .NET owner for a "Poll the Audience" button on .NET, "Should Pete challenge this play" for those chosen .NET posters. And an adapted Madden playcall screen to relay ideas for calls to Pete, pre-snap, to call in to Russell. Kidding about the Madden part. Mostly kidding about the "Challenge, Y/N" button, but it would probably be better than what Pete's been doing.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 12:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information