Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pete’s not going anywhere

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:39 am
  • And certainly not before this season is over so it’s a waste of time talking about it. Rephrasing the same thing over and over again gets nauseating. We get it , you want a new coach. Go start researching the draft and go away. If you think another coach and GM would have gotten us here from where we started in August, I want what YOU’RE smoking. Try and enjoy the ride- you’re missing a good time
    Hass2Carlson
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 164
    Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 5:42 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 am
  • Do people really think a change would be made during the playoffs? Geezus, some people need meds.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3487
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 am
  • And coincidentally, neither is this team.

    Too bad, because I think Wilson could do a lot better given the chance to play with a good OC.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3870
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:And coincidentally, neither is this team.

    Too bad, because I think Wilson could do a lot better given the chance to play with a good OC.


    ^^^^Yep, been saying this for a long time.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4266
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:48 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:And coincidentally, neither is this team.

    Too bad, because I think Wilson could do a lot better given the chance to play with a good OC.


    Our defense isn’t going anywhere either.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1800
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:02 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:50 am
  • NJlargent wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:And coincidentally, neither is this team.

    Too bad, because I think Wilson could do a lot better given the chance to play with a good OC.


    Our defense isn’t going anywhere either.


    Sure they are!!

    Backwards giving up 7 every time the offense scores.....all.......year........long. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7210
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:06 am
  • To be fair, Pete's stubborn old school football works because most teams have transitioned their way out of it.

    So they struggle to stop it in the regular season.

    The regular season can be fun.

    Just be ready for regularly underachieving in the playoffs. If that is ok, you'll be fine.

    It still feels like we could win playoff games if our coach bothered to play first halves and/or used his MVP candidate QB more effectively.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3870
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:15 am
  • This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17987
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:34 am
  • The defense used to be bend but not break , but now, except for some occasional brilliances, not only it bends, it breaks all over the place, from the D line to linebackers to secondary.
    Aw Mang
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 191
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:12 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:45 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:And coincidentally, neither is this team.

    Too bad, because I think Wilson could do a lot better given the chance to play with a good OC.


    Sure he could do better and that’s if you prefer madden like stats over winning actual football games. No one can argue that since Pete has been the Seahawks coach they have one of the best overall records in the NFL.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2345
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:48 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.



    Several millimeters in multiple games from being 6-10 or worse.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 2452
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:38 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:49 am
  • Aw Mang wrote:The defense used to be bend but not break , but now, except for some occasional brilliances, not only it bends, it breaks all over the place, from the D line to linebackers to secondary.


    The defense was really a complete rebuild, so when you think of it from that perspective and the year this team has had they're actually ahead of schedule as far as being competitive goes. Nobody thought they had much of a playoff chance this year. I see the D as "half shored" up this year with Diggs coming in, Flowers and Griffin improving, etc. We need to find a pass rush. Will Clowney still be here? Who knows, but JS and PC will be surely looking for the right pieces to solidify the D because if they do they'll have a real shot at a SB next year.
    kmeleon
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 217
    Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:10 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:11 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.

    THIS ^^ !!
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7317
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:48 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:16 pm
  • Not asking for a new head coach, just asking for him to add and renovate his philosophy and his coaching style. Its been the same since he's been here and sadly to say for being 68 years old and keeping his coaching style for the past 10 years I don't see him changing. How about not just finishing the game but also starting it. We had 80 yards in the first half this game. How about calling plays that benefits your players instead of RUN, RUN, PASS on offense. Rushing only four and playing vanilla defense with DBs who cant cover. Shooting ourselves on the foot with bad time management and bad discipline. We had an opportunity to control our own destiny these past two games to get a first round bye, heal our players, game plan, and play a home game but nope, pete gets too cute and out coach like he always does, hoping every time Russell makes a comeback to bail him out. He's been a great motivator but terrible head coach for this franchise.
    AKSeahawks
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 44
    Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:28 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:17 pm
  • Remember the Mora era?

    We've got it pretty good.
    ddores
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:19 pm
  • AKSeahawks wrote:Not asking for a new head coach, just asking for him to add and renovate his philosophy and his coaching style. Its been the same since he's been here and sadly to say for being 68 years old and keeping his coaching style for the past 10 years I don't see him changing. How about not just finishing the game but also starting it. We had 80 yards in the first half this game. How about calling plays that benefits your players instead of RUN, RUN, PASS on offense. Rushing only four and playing vanilla defense with DBs who cant cover. Shooting ourselves on the foot with bad time management and bad discipline. We had an opportunity to control our own destiny these past two games to get a first round bye, heal our players, game plan, and play a home game but nope, pete gets too cute and out coach like he always does, hoping every time Russell makes a comeback to bail him out. He's been a great motivator but terrible head coach for this franchise.

    So, you don't want a "new coach," you just want Pete to totally change his philosophy and style of coaching to something you think is better?

    Ok, sure.

    :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 19075
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:19 pm
  • Pete needs to evolve, or at least his coaching philosophies do.
    Pissing away quarters and half at the beginning of games is a piss poor plan.
    Shows how bad the game planning, preparation, and how play calling is.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 28225
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:33 pm
  • I am frustrated with the way he seems to make these totally absent minded decisions at the end of halves and games overthinking and using the emotional edge too much at the most unfortunate moments. With that said the organization overall is blessed to have him this has been the best decade in Seahawks History frankly a god send to an organization that needed a positive spirit and swagger IMHO. I’ll take another 10 just like it please . Yes I hope these bone headed decisions just stop . But I most certainly am not jumping of Pete’s train any time soon all aboard!!!
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3327
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:06 pm
  • Needs to release so much control and let his OC and DC do their jobs, and fix the damn communication issues, again I feel that too much has to go through him and in critical times he is trying to process a lot of stuff unnecessarily.

    Those can be fixed.

    If your looking for 500 yards of offense and 45 points a game to be satisfied then your going to be disappointed.

    Your on the wrong site, that's Seahawks Fantasy.Net.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 30995
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:54 pm
  • He really needs to win next week .
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1583
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:00 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:He really needs to win next week .



    Why?

    Even if we lose, Jody and the powers that be aren't going to fire Pete, nor should they. You don't fire the HC that's delivered like Pete's delivered, year in and year out........through two complete roster overhauls, and we're still winning.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16845
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:20 pm
  • Pete needs to stay here as long as he wants. The older fans on here remember what life before Pete was like.
    volshawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 137
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 7:56 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:55 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:To be fair, Pete's stubborn old school football works because most teams have transitioned their way out of it.

    So they struggle to stop it in the regular season.

    The regular season can be fun.

    Just be ready for regularly underachieving in the playoffs. If that is ok, you'll be fine.

    It still feels like we could win playoff games if our coach bothered to play first halves and/or used his MVP candidate QB more effectively.



    What changes, specifically in the playoffs- that now doesn't allow Pete's "style" to work?

    And what year did this transition leave him in the dust exactly? His style was good enough to get to back to back Super Bowls a few years ago but this magic switch happened in....2017? 2018? that has now completely left him helpless in the playoffs (but still good enough to win double digits every year in the regular season?)

    Quite the theory.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2660
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:02 pm
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.



    Several millimeters in multiple games from being 6-10 or worse.




    Pete's teams here have regularly lived in the 10-11 win range.

    11-5 this year, coming off of 10-6 last year, was not a fluke.

    This is and will continue to be a good football team that wins close games, in part due to Pete.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2660
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.



    hmm well since 2014 we are 2-3 in the playoffs, what good is s system that wins in the regular season but can't in the post season.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:07 pm
  • Hawkpower wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:To be fair, Pete's stubborn old school football works because most teams have transitioned their way out of it.

    So they struggle to stop it in the regular season.

    The regular season can be fun.

    Just be ready for regularly underachieving in the playoffs. If that is ok, you'll be fine.

    It still feels like we could win playoff games if our coach bothered to play first halves and/or used his MVP candidate QB more effectively.



    What changes, specifically in the playoffs- that now doesn't allow Pete's "style" to work?

    And what year did this transition leave him in the dust exactly? His style was good enough to get to back to back Super Bowls a few years ago but this magic switch happened in....2017? 2018? that has now completely left him helpless in the playoffs (but still good enough to win double digits every year in the regular season?)

    Quite the theory.


    What has happened is teams have seen a lot, people know he will just do what he does, so teams see the Cards game know what's coming. What has changed is you no longer have that great defense. The problem is he is trying to play like he did in 2014 even though his team does not work like that. In other words he is making the players play his system instead of using a system built for the players.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:22 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Do people really think a change would be made during the playoffs? Geezus, some people need meds.


    I don’t think anytime else ever suggested that.. seems like a straw man by op
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4167
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:35 pm
  • Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4367
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:18 pm
  • How about a HC that isn't getting a new stick of gum instead of clock watching . He's executive vice- president and hired Schneider as GM...wake up kids ...Carroll will be there until he decides to step down .
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2337
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:34 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?



    Very simple "The mark of a good coach is one that creates a system built around what he has." - Vince Lombardi

    "You can't live by off schedule plays" - Bill Walsh

    For us that would be on offense a tempo changing, layered route, quick hitting run game.

    On Defense a man to man, run blitzing.

    Why do I say this

    When we run uptempo or changing tempo we move and score at will. This helps the oline because the dline does not know when it will get hiked so can't get set, it helps the run game for the same reason, it helps the pass game because Wilson calls the plays, and can change at will to take advantage of what they are giving us. See our first scoring drive of last game Also see early to mid 2015 and notice we held a TOP in all those games.

    When we go man and run blitz we get 3 and outs. Run blitzing allows the line to stop the run and if not a run keep going to the QB. It allows us to hide our blitzes more as well.

    Unfortunately we run a zone most of the time, and on offense we run a very predictable, bland offense, despite the fact our oline is not good enough for it. In other words we are running systems like we have the same team as we did in 2013 when we don't have that team. We rely to much on off script plays PC has said they count on 5-8 a game as part of their game plan.

    Hope that helps
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:35 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Pete needs to evolve, or at least his coaching philosophies do.
    Pissing away quarters and half at the beginning of games is a piss poor plan.
    Shows how bad the game planning, preparation, and how play calling is.



    This is the answer..

    I think he needs a new OC and an assistant that can help with game management
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17987
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.



    hmm well since 2014 we are 2-3 in the playoffs, what good is s system that wins in the regular season but can't in the post season.


    You seriously think that because the team hasn't been a Super Bowl team that they are suddenly a failure? By that logic, only one coach is any good, and he's not available.

    what a daft comment.

    I mean I get that PC needs to be better.. but come on
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17987
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?


    John Harbaugh & Sean Payton, I think are good examples of good head coaches. I remember both of them having a 3 season stretch of mediocrity, but they proved they were able and willing to make adjustments, and they have turned their team into perennial contenders. Payton's problems were due to coordinators, and Harbaugh's was Flacco. I think both of them are good game planners, good at leading their team, and good at situational awareness.

    To talk about Pete, I think he is a good leader & motivator, but not the best at the other 2 qualities I mentioned. That's why i believe he gets the players to give 110% but at the same time, the game plan doesn't necessarily make it easier on them. That's where I believe a good chunk of their success comes from.

    I think Pete gave himself too much control, he should let the coordinators do the game-planning. I think he needs to surround himself with better coordinators, especially on the defense, and he really needs to do a better job at evaluating talent. I think Clint Hurtt and Norton are holding this D down, and Solari isn't doing much better. When it comes to the OL, if you have the highest paid QB, you better make sure your OL can pass block.

    As for evaluating talent, I think Pete needs to adjust his standards. We all know Pete's ideal CB is 6'3 with 33" arms, that it's more important that his OL can run block than pass block, and that he builds the team through the draft, and spends little in FA. But all of those aren't necessarily true, and if Pete were more open-minded, I think we'd be seeing a more talented team on the field.

    If none of these adjustments are made, then what more do we need to see to realize that Pete has become the problem? He's A reason, not THE reason for Seattle's success. If all he can do anymore is get them to the playoffs, but not do much when they get there, then he's basically just another Mike McCarthy. I'm not saying fire Pete, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to be a loyalist either.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 385
    Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm
    Location: Central Valley, CA


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:27 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?


    John Harbaugh & Sean Payton, I think are good examples of good head coaches. I remember both of them having a 3 season stretch of mediocrity, but they proved they were able and willing to make adjustments, and they have turned their team into perennial contenders. Payton's problems were due to coordinators, and Harbaugh's was Flacco. I think both of them are good game planners, good at leading their team, and good at situational awareness.

    To talk about Pete, I think he is a good leader & motivator, but not the best at the other 2 qualities I mentioned. That's why i believe he gets the players to give 110% but at the same time, the game plan doesn't necessarily make it easier on them. That's where I believe a good chunk of their success comes from.

    I think Pete gave himself too much control, he should let the coordinators do the game-planning. I think he needs to surround himself with better coordinators, especially on the defense, and he really needs to do a better job at evaluating talent. I think Clint Hurtt and Norton are holding this D down, and Solari isn't doing much better. When it comes to the OL, if you have the highest paid QB, you better make sure your OL can pass block.

    As for evaluating talent, I think Pete needs to adjust his standards. We all know Pete's ideal CB is 6'3 with 33" arms, that it's more important that his OL can run block than pass block, and that he builds the team through the draft, and spends little in FA. But all of those aren't necessarily true, and if Pete were more open-minded, I think we'd be seeing a more talented team on the field.

    If none of these adjustments are made, then what more do we need to see to realize that Pete has become the problem? He's A reason, not THE reason for Seattle's success. If all he can do anymore is get them to the playoffs, but not do much when they get there, then he's basically just another Mike McCarthy. I'm not saying fire Pete, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to be a loyalist either.


    Has Pete done more or less then those two guys? Yeah there having better season with far more talent and less injuries in weak ass divisions. So those guys can be mediocre for 3 years and get a pass but Pete goes 11-5 in the toughest division in football and get flamed? I agree those guys are great coaches, better then Pete maybe but maybe not.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4367
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:31 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?



    Very simple "The mark of a good coach is one that creates a system built around what he has." - Vince Lombardi

    "You can't live by off schedule plays" - Bill Walsh

    For us that would be on offense a tempo changing, layered route, quick hitting run game.

    On Defense a man to man, run blitzing.

    Why do I say this

    When we run uptempo or changing tempo we move and score at will. This helps the oline because the dline does not know when it will get hiked so can't get set, it helps the run game for the same reason, it helps the pass game because Wilson calls the plays, and can change at will to take advantage of what they are giving us. See our first scoring drive of last game Also see early to mid 2015 and notice we held a TOP in all those games.

    When we go man and run blitz we get 3 and outs. Run blitzing allows the line to stop the run and if not a run keep going to the QB. It allows us to hide our blitzes more as well.

    Unfortunately we run a zone most of the time, and on offense we run a very predictable, bland offense, despite the fact our oline is not good enough for it. In other words we are running systems like we have the same team as we did in 2013 when we don't have that team. We rely to much on off script plays PC has said they count on 5-8 a game as part of their game plan.

    Hope that helps


    Do you have a name without the initials of BB
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4367
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:59 pm
  • Has Pete done more or less then those two guys? Yeah there having better season with far more talent and less injuries in weak ass divisions. So those guys can be mediocre for 3 years and get a pass but Pete goes 11-5 in the toughest division in football and get flamed? I agree those guys are great coaches, better then Pete maybe but maybe not


    I'm just saying that I think it speaks to the kind of coaches that they are, that they were able to dig themselves out of their hole. They've turned their teams into the type of teams built to make a deep playoff run. Watching Seattle the past couple seasons, I haven't gotten the impression that this was a team built to do that.

    Payton & Harbaugh aren't so loyal to coordinators if they aren't improving the team, and that's a big reason why they've made their turnarounds, but Pete stuck with Bevell & Cable for 3 seasons longer than he should have, it begs the question, how long is the current coaching staff gonna stick around if they don't improve? Another thing, Payton & Harbaugh don't have the same standards as Pete does concerning how they build their teams. I think Pete hit the jackpot between '10-'12, and I give him and Schneider credit for that, but since then, his philosophy has hindered the team, and most of us have said that at some point dating back to 2017.

    To clarify, I'm not saying Pete needs to go, it's not that simple, their problems are much deeper than just Pete. And like others have said, I don't know who they should replace him with, were he to get fired. I'm saying he needs to really consider who he's surrounding himself with, and his drafting methods.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 385
    Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm
    Location: Central Valley, CA


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:31 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    AKSeahawks wrote:Not asking for a new head coach, just asking for him to add and renovate his philosophy and his coaching style. Its been the same since he's been here and sadly to say for being 68 years old and keeping his coaching style for the past 10 years I don't see him changing. How about not just finishing the game but also starting it. We had 80 yards in the first half this game. How about calling plays that benefits your players instead of RUN, RUN, PASS on offense. Rushing only four and playing vanilla defense with DBs who cant cover. Shooting ourselves on the foot with bad time management and bad discipline. We had an opportunity to control our own destiny these past two games to get a first round bye, heal our players, game plan, and play a home game but nope, pete gets too cute and out coach like he always does, hoping every time Russell makes a comeback to bail him out. He's been a great motivator but terrible head coach for this franchise.

    So, you don't want a "new coach," you just want Pete to totally change his philosophy and style of coaching to something you think is better?

    Ok, sure.

    :34853_doh:

    That right there is the classic cop out excuse. " I don't want a new coach, I just want the old coach to turn into a new coach"
    That's what you get when you can't complain about the win/loss record. b!@ch about the style of play.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 345
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:35 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.



    hmm well since 2014 we are 2-3 in the playoffs, what good is s system that wins in the regular season but can't in the post season.


    You seriously think that because the team hasn't been a Super Bowl team that they are suddenly a failure? By that logic, only one coach is any good, and he's not available.

    what a daft comment.

    I mean I get that PC needs to be better.. but come on


    Well factually speaking in the regular season they are great in the playoffs they are failures, unless a losing record in the playoff is good to you or a success. FYI here is an idea what if you play 3 game sin the playoffs to include sb and you go 2-1 losing the SB that would not be bad, you had a winning record and got to the Sb Here is another what if 1 year you loose the first game, next year you loose the 2nd, then the 3rd. Its called improving. Again if your goal is just to get to the playoffs great. Last I checked the goal was to get to and hopefully win the SB. We are 2-3 in the playoffs since 2014 that is a losing record period.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:38 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:
    Has Pete done more or less then those two guys? Yeah there having better season with far more talent and less injuries in weak ass divisions. So those guys can be mediocre for 3 years and get a pass but Pete goes 11-5 in the toughest division in football and get flamed? I agree those guys are great coaches, better then Pete maybe but maybe not


    I'm just saying that I think it speaks to the kind of coaches that they are, that they were able to dig themselves out of their hole. They've turned their teams into the type of teams built to make a deep playoff run. Watching Seattle the past couple seasons, I haven't gotten the impression that this was a team built to do that.

    Payton & Harbaugh aren't so loyal to coordinators if they aren't improving the team, and that's a big reason why they've made their turnarounds, but Pete stuck with Bevell & Cable for 3 seasons longer than he should have, it begs the question, how long is the current coaching staff gonna stick around if they don't improve? Another thing, Payton & Harbaugh don't have the same standards as Pete does concerning how they build their teams. I think Pete hit the jackpot between '10-'12, and I give him and Schneider credit for that, but since then, his philosophy has hindered the team, and most of us have said that at some point dating back to 2017.

    To clarify, I'm not saying Pete needs to go, it's not that simple, their problems are much deeper than just Pete. And like others have said, I don't know who they should replace him with, were he to get fired. I'm saying he needs to really consider who he's surrounding himself with, and his drafting methods.

    If they're that much better, how did they let their teams get into a hole in the first place? Seattle hasn't been in a "hole" yet.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 345
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:
    Has Pete done more or less then those two guys? Yeah there having better season with far more talent and less injuries in weak ass divisions. So those guys can be mediocre for 3 years and get a pass but Pete goes 11-5 in the toughest division in football and get flamed? I agree those guys are great coaches, better then Pete maybe but maybe not


    I'm just saying that I think it speaks to the kind of coaches that they are, that they were able to dig themselves out of their hole. They've turned their teams into the type of teams built to make a deep playoff run. Watching Seattle the past couple seasons, I haven't gotten the impression that this was a team built to do that.

    Payton & Harbaugh aren't so loyal to coordinators if they aren't improving the team, and that's a big reason why they've made their turnarounds, but Pete stuck with Bevell & Cable for 3 seasons longer than he should have, it begs the question, how long is the current coaching staff gonna stick around if they don't improve? Another thing, Payton & Harbaugh don't have the same standards as Pete does concerning how they build their teams. I think Pete hit the jackpot between '10-'12, and I give him and Schneider credit for that, but since then, his philosophy has hindered the team, and most of us have said that at some point dating back to 2017.

    To clarify, I'm not saying Pete needs to go, it's not that simple, their problems are much deeper than just Pete. And like others have said, I don't know who they should replace him with, were he to get fired. I'm saying he needs to really consider who he's surrounding himself with, and his drafting methods.


    Your a hard man to argue with 12 and i can appreciate that. Don't forget that their in year 2 with Shotty and Norton and the offesne statically has been just one of the best in franchise history and while the defense has sucked let's not forget they lost a bunch of studs all at once, which is tough to bounce from. Not a huge Norton fan but this defesne lacks talent.
    Last edited by getnasty on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4367
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:44 pm
  • instead of saying, 'it's not how you start, but how you finish', maybe they should say, 'let's win every quarter'.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1552
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 11:34 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:22 pm
  • Your a hard man to argue with 12 and i can appreciate that. Don't forget that the in year 2 with Shotty and Norton and the offesne statically has been just one of the best in franchise history and while the defense has sucked let's not forget they lost a bunch of studs all at once, which is tough to bounce from.


    Yeah, I realize that. I don't say all that to make you think you're wrong or that I'm right, we all have our opinions, and I respect yours as well. This season has just been a roller coaster. I agree on the offense, it was firing on all cylinders, then it took a nosedive, and the injuries were just salt on the wound.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 385
    Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm
    Location: Central Valley, CA


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:39 pm
  • If they're that much better, how did they let their teams get into a hole in the first place? Seattle hasn't been in a "hole" yet.


    Well, I would say, in Harbaugh's case, he didn't have Russell Wilson under center, and as for Payton, he didn't have either enough talent, or the right staff, I remember their D was pretty horrid those 3 years.

    They obviously are still great coaches, if they weren't, their teams would still be mediocre. As for this team, I wouldn't say they've never been in a hole, their hole just wasn't as deep, and I think Wilson mitigated that. 2017 was the deepest their hole went, but they had those few seasons since SB49, where the players themselves got the shovels out, and started sabotaging the team.

    Not saying Pete is a bad coach, if he was, Seattle wouldn't be the team that they've been for the past decade, all I was saying, was that Payton & Harbaugh were better at certain aspects of being a HC than Carroll. I think my point just got lost in the shuffle.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 385
    Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm
    Location: Central Valley, CA


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am
  • For me it comes down to this. PC needs to stop playing like he has the 2012-2014 team, on both sides of the ball. He does not. He needs to play like he did when Lynch went down and the defense was struggling.

    We saw yesterday and all year what works. A tempo changing, motion offense with a combo man/zone run blitzing defense.

    Good coaches adapt to the talent they have.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2768
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:17 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I think he needs a new OC and an assistant that can help with game management


    What good is that going to do if he wont let them do their job? Team went that route already by getting rid of Bevell and all Pete did was hire another 'yes man' in Shotty with the same stagnant offense in place. Its a Pete issue, not the coordinators.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:23 am
  • ddores wrote:Remember the Mora era?

    We've got it pretty good.


    Does one season as head coach really make for an era?
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:12 am
  • John63 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:This is an 11-5 team that missed 12-4 and a division championship by 2 millimeters..

    People can certainly complain about the inefficiencies in game planning and clock management. Its hyperbolic to make this team out like they just went 6-10.

    The system works because its been the most effective and consistent way to win football games for decades. Noone has proved that differently.. and the Patriots are not much different.



    hmm well since 2014 we are 2-3 in the playoffs, what good is s system that wins in the regular season but can't in the post season.


    Out of the 16 teams to make the playoffs this year... Two have been to a Super Bowl since 2014, four of them have a winning record in the playoffs, four of them have made the playoffs three times or more.

    John63 wrote:Here is another what if 1 year you loose the first game, next year you loose the 2nd, then the 3rd. Its called improving.


    Another point to go with your 'What if' scenario.
    2017 Sea missed the playoffs
    2018 Sea lost in round one
    So by your logic... If they beat the Eagles, Pete is a good coach and his system works because they are improving.
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 819
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:26 pm
    Location: Newberg, Oregon


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:39 am
  • Look I love me some Pete. But his time management stuff is beyond maddening. Him calling those last 2 timeouts.....so stupid. Not being prepared at the end of the game with the plays etc. AGAIN.
    Sure they lost it as a team and Russ didn't finish like he usually does. But, Pete wasting timeouts over and over again needs to flat out stop. That delay is inexcusable. Even more than the non PI call.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15352
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:32 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:
    If they're that much better, how did they let their teams get into a hole in the first place? Seattle hasn't been in a "hole" yet.


    Well, I would say, in Harbaugh's case, he didn't have Russell Wilson under center, and as for Payton, he didn't have either enough talent, or the right staff, I remember their D was pretty horrid those 3 years.

    They obviously are still great coaches, if they weren't, their teams would still be mediocre. As for this team, I wouldn't say they've never been in a hole, their hole just wasn't as deep, and I think Wilson mitigated that. 2017 was the deepest their hole went, but they had those few seasons since SB49, where the players themselves got the shovels out, and started sabotaging the team.

    Not saying Pete is a bad coach, if he was, Seattle wouldn't be the team that they've been for the past decade, all I was saying, was that Payton & Harbaugh were better at certain aspects of being a HC than Carroll. I think my point just got lost in the shuffle.

    Talent acquisition is a big one for Carroll. Since he is both the HC and final say on player acquisition he can get guys that are tailored to fit his system. Most HC's have to finagle whatever the GM gives them. Holmgren for example of this with Ruskell. Carroll is good at finding value from free agents as depth, and while drafting hasn't been nearly as good he still has found good role players. HC's such as Payton and Harbaugh don't get as big of a say. In Payton's case they've had to deal with some very bad defenses, like historically bad in some cases due to lack of talent.

    The QB is also a big one. Wilson has been one of the most durable QB's in the NFL. He hasn't missed a single game yet. Wilson is also a top tier QB with a knack for closing out big games. There are some good QB's that wouldn't be able to seal the deal. For example this would be a losing team with Kirk Cousins, maybe a six win team due to the situations Pete puts the team in -- even in some of the years that we had a decent team.

    As for a game day and scheme coach I don't think he isn't very good. It's mostly the stuff that he does behind the scenes that make this a winning team, along with Wilson. That is also why I don't believe he will ever be in a Super Bowl ever again. He surrounds himself with yes men and has some of the most horrific in time/game management I've seen from an NFL level HC. If Carroll took a step back and became just the big picture guy, let Schottenheimer and a new DC do their work, and took a more hands off approach I think the Seahawks would have more success. Something like what Tomlin does in Pittsburgh.

    Carroll is a great team manager and big picture guy but his idea of how some things should be done are like a boat anchor on the team in some ways.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am


Re: Pete’s not going anywhere
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:54 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Can someone tell what a good coach is? Outside of BB who is a good coach and why?


    John Harbaugh & Sean Payton, I think are good examples of good head coaches.....

    And each have the same number of Super Bowl wins as Pete. Payton has one of the all-time greatest QBs ever and runs the exact kind of system John63 and others here want to see the Seahawks run yet he's made fewer playoff appearances in the last 10 years than Pete has. I will agree Harbaugh was hamstrung by Flacco but results still speak for themselves. Those are facts folks. Look 'em up.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24628
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Next


It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 7:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online