Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our O-line in the off-season...

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Our O-line in the off-season...
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:34 am
  • It's a little early yet since we still need to finish the season with a win in February (yes!), but I'm sure tired of The Mighty Seahawks being throttled down by the remnants of rhymes-with-unable's O-line. I believe the best O-line coach in the history of the NFL couldn't get these guys above below-average. Remember how JS/PC came in during their first off-season and made like 200 roster moves to find the right mix of team going forward? I wish to see a similar effort with O-line personnel this off-season. Maybe not 200 moves, but at least like 70...

Don't tell me about how we are decimated by injuries right now. All these injuries did was turn it from bad to worse.

Meanwhile, GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Re: Our O-line in the off-season...
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:59 am
  • 6 out of the 10 OL are on the injury report. Hard to be effective hurt. BOTH lines are going to need serious attention next off season. Fant and Ifedi are F.A.

Iupati and Fluker were on 1 year deals and Brown will be 34. Briitt coming off ACL surgery and a HUGE contract for next year.

On the DL...Reed and Jefferson are F.A......So is Clowney.

Hawks have a ton of cap but that is a daunting list of stuff to do. With all the draft picks I see JS doing what he does best.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:41 pm
  • This will be a huge off-season topic for sure with a ton of turnover.

GeekHawk wrote:Don't tell me about how we are decimated by injuries right now. All these injuries did was turn it from bad to worse.

I don't agree as I actually like our starting line quite a bit. Brown is still an above average LT, Iupati-Britt-Fluker is a monstrous interior, and for all the hate Ifedi gets he's improved every year so far.

It is bad luck to lose both your LT and C when LG is the position already limited with injury concerns. Every NFL offensive line would look rough with the same amount of injuries that we have had and there's no need to find a scapegoat for it.

Jones, Pocic, and Hunt have not looked great in relief, but I would argue that they have looked as good as you should expect from backup OL in the NFL. A lot of of the talented players have been going DL for 20+ years now and nobody's 8th OL is a gem in the rough.
    Last edited by AgentDib on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:6 out of the 10 OL are on the injury report. Hard to be effective hurt. BOTH lines are going to need serious attention next off season. Fant and Ifedi are F.A.

Iupati and Fluker were on 1 year deals

Fluker signed a two-year deal so he's under contract for 2020.

Source
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:52 pm
  • Jones is a rookie and played out of position at LT last game, Pocic just came off of IR. The coaches admitted to communication problems in the AZ game. Jones gets another week at practice with the 1's at LT. Pocic came in for the injured Iupati (who returned later, and stunk). Fluker certainly hasn't been more than a large man, and even though I forgot about a 2 year signing, his play might get him cut.

And out of all of them, Ifedi (inspite of his stupid motion penalties) has been the best of all, maybe give Hunt credit for coming off the bench for Britt .
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:39 pm
  • every single starter is a first round pick, correct? Keep drafting guys, get rid of the human penalty machine. Pray they stay healthy.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:6 out of the 10 OL are on the injury report. Hard to be effective hurt. BOTH lines are going to need serious attention next off season. Fant and Ifedi are F.A.

Iupati and Fluker were on 1 year deals and Brown will be 34. Briitt coming off ACL surgery and a HUGE contract for next year.

Hawks have a ton of cap but that is a daunting list of stuff to do. With all the draft picks I see JS doing what he does best.

LOL yes because the 25th ranking they had in pass blocking before the injuries is so impressive....NOT
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:49 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:6 out of the 10 OL are on the injury report. Hard to be effective hurt. BOTH lines are going to need serious attention next off season. Fant and Ifedi are F.A.

LOL yes because the 25th ranking they had in pass blocking before the injuries is so impressive....NOT

When RW is your QB, you are going to have those numbers. Why have those numbers been so consistent for every year he has been the QB?...LOL...NOT
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:25 pm
  • Chukarhawk wrote:every single starter is a first round pick, correct? Keep drafting guys, get rid of the human penalty machine. Pray they stay healthy.

Either a first-round pick of rhymes-with-unable, or a first-round pick from back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Prior to all the injuries, they weren't even average for an NFL O-line. Our O-line coach (who's name escapes me due to my age and being too lazy to look it up) has spent the last 2 years trying to turn chicken $h!t into chicken soup and though his efforts have been admirable, it's time this off-season to go all PC/JS on that unit.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:57 pm
  • Jones is in his 2nd year and played LT at Ohio State. They should have given him help against the best DE currently playing. Instead, they left him on an island and complicated pass blocking so that he screwed up and let Chandler blow right by him.

It should've been "Block Chandler Jones every play, and here's a running back or a tight end for help. "
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:34 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:It should've been "Block Chandler Jones every play, and here's a running back or a tight end for help. "

It did seem very Cablesque to leave him isolated like that, would have thought that Solari should have known better, but, with all the injuries stacking up, had they doubled up on Chandler Jones, someone else likely would have gotten to him anyways.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:58 pm
  • It wasn't just Jones they had trouble with. Jones is a bonafide top pass rusher. Cassius Marsh isn't. They couldn't seem to block Cassius Marsh either....let that sink in for a minute. Hopefully that performance is behind them now and not repeated again.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:24 pm
  • i think lineman on both sides of ball need attention every year in the draft. Our best pass protection is play action. Thats one of the things that hurt us in the Cards game. We started having problems after we lost our backs. The oline has to sell the run then control their gap. That takes communication and continuity. We were lacking there also with all the new faces. Im curiouse what the stats are on play action versus straight pass prrotection.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:30 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:6 out of the 10 OL are on the injury report. Hard to be effective hurt. BOTH lines are going to need serious attention next off season. Fant and Ifedi are F.A.

When RW is your QB, you are going to have those numbers. Why have those numbers been so consistent for every year he has been the QB?...LOL...NOT

Hmm in 2011 BEFORE Wilson they were ranked 25th in pass blocking, nice try though, fyi we have not had an oline higher than 20th since PC has been here hmm.. FYI the year before PC 14th. Hmm
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:36 pm
  • study any ground war...it's the trenches...that win or lose especially now
    xray
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:59 pm
  • O-line and LB has to be the priority those two position groups are the weakest on this team. Only an idiot would argue otherwise.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:02 pm
  • "Only an idiot would argue otherwise."
    You rang?
    I'd be a happy idiot arguing that out linebackers are not near the top of our positional weakness list. For one thing they're not only playing their position and handling the communication duties, they're covering for D line losses and secondary deficiencies. Not to mention that Wagz and KJ are among the most accomplished linebackers in the league. But they're not super humans who can play every position and cover the entire field.

I would vote for seeing an O Line overhaul though. I think Brown and Britt make a solid foundation but we've been shredded too many times for too long to ignore the problems. If we can't at least be competitive on the lines we can't compete. Our current crew looks good on pre-season paper, but overall the reality has been a disaster. IMO the recent lack of mobility from Russ is most likely a result of excessive punishment he has endured. We can't afford that.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:15 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

I tend to agree with this, while the OL is still not good i think Russ doesn't do them any favors.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:49 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

I tend to agree with this, while the OL is still not good i think Russ doesn't do them any favors.

Hmm the QB before Russ had an oline ranked 25th also. Hmm 2 qbs same oline issues. Not the QB, but the type of lineman bei g chosen.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:45 am
  • I'm guessing that Britt will be too expensive to keep---Brown at 34 and getting banged up will retire---Upati goes away---Flucker has 1 year left , he's a 50/50 keeper---Ifedi is history---Fant will replace Brown. Really good OLineman are as hard to come by as really good QBs .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:04 am
  • Did you know back in 1997 Drew Bledsoe a former Cougar great was only sacked 30 times in a season on a team coach bye Pete Carroll? Matt Leinart never got sacked at USC, It has to be Russell.

John, it's not crazy to think Russ holds the ball sometimes trying to make a play and takes a sack. If he didn't do this he wouldn't be special it's part of what makes him great. It also leads to probably a few more sacks then say a Drew Brees who throws the ball away the first sign of danger.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:33 am
  • xray wrote:I'm guessing that Britt will be too expensive to keep---Brown at 34 and getting banged up will retire---Upati goes away---Flucker has 1 year left , he's a 50/50 keeper---Ifedi is history---Fant will replace Brown. Really good OLineman are as hard to come by as really good QBs .

I think Brown comes back for one more year but is nicked off and on all next season. Agree that Britt and Ifedi are gone. Iupati likely gone. Just guesses
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:46 am
  • OL '20

Brown - Jones
    ??
    Hunt - ??
    Fluker - ??
    Fant - Jones

Fant and Jones will fight for starting RT assuming Fant isn't too expensive to resign, We shall need LG and backup interior linemen. In '21, we may have Fant and Jones as our LT and RT unless we draft or sign someone. Alternatively, Jones did better at guard:

Brown
    Jones
    Hunt
    Fluker
    Fant
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:00 pm
  • toffee wrote:OL '20

Brown - Jones
    ??
    Hunt - ??
    Fluker - ??
    Fant - Jones

Fant and Jones will fight for starting RT assuming Fant isn't too expensive to resign, We shall need LG and backup interior linemen. In '21, we may have Fant and Jones as our LT and RT unless we draft or sign someone. Alternatively, Jones did better at guard:

Brown
    Jones
    Hunt
    Fluker
    Fant

Hunt has done a descent job filling in but there's no way he's the starting Center week one next season. He's not exactly blowing anyone off the ball now is he . The entire line needs to be retooled. Brown is the only one I would expect to see start next year. Iupati and Britt will almost assuredly be replaced. Fluker maybe he has one more year in him I wouldn't bet on it though. Posic no I've seen enough he can go. Same with Hunt we can do better even as a backup. Jones and Haynes need to see more i'm not sure what we have there yet.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:43 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    toffee wrote:OL '20

Brown - Jones
    ??
    Hunt - ??
    Fluker - ??
    Fant - Jones

Brown
    Jones
    Hunt
    Fluker
    Fant

Hunt has done a descent job filling in but there's no way he's the starting Center week one next season. He's not exactly blowing anyone off the ball now is he . The entire line needs to be retooled. Brown is the only one I would expect to see start next year. Iupati and Britt will almost assuredly be replaced. Fluker maybe he has one more year in him I wouldn't bet on it though. Posic no I've seen enough he can go. Same with Hunt we can do better even as a backup. Jones and Haynes need to see more i'm not sure what we have there yet.

Re Tool? you can't change out any more parts then we have on a constant basis, if you had 4 doors on it we could call it a Chinese fire drill.

We need Youth, and consistently, very hard to do I know but you pay in one way or another, the redshirt PS participants should be stepping up and paying off next year.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:50 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:

Brown - Jones
    ??
    Hunt - ??
    Fluker - ??
    Fant - Jones

Brown
    Jones
    Hunt
    Fluker
    Fant

Not like our starting center has been blowing people off or being a perennial pro bowler. Hunt is serviceable and cheap, free up some $ for FA linemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:00 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:

Brown - Jones
    ??
    Hunt - ??
    Fluker - ??
    Fant - Jones

Brown
    Jones
    Hunt
    Fluker
    Fant

Not like our starting center has been blowing people off or being a perennial pro bowler. Hunt is serviceable and cheap, free up some $ for FA linemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched Hunt get blown up 3 times in a row one on one so no to Hunt. The oline is a domino if you center his weak and forces every one to hep inside which leads speed rushers free. Most importantly whoever we get for the oline needs to be very good pass blocker. I dont want anymore great run blockers poor pass blockers.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:47 pm
  • if given opportunity keep a couple vets that can play and replace the other 3 regardless of position on the line; with a preference on improving the pass plays . A good OL should be able to play run or pass plays equally well . Then they have a premium situation with Wilson...hope they do something while he is still in his prime .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:20 pm
  • Totally agree with this post.
    Keyhawk
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:40 pm
  • So three complete lineman that can run block and pass block, Vets, figure on about 10 million a year plus each.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:27 pm
  • They are high on the rookie Phil Haynes at guard and Jordan Simmons looked pretty good last year as a rookie in his 3 starts. Fluker probably returns since he’s still under contract but Haynes or Simmons could fill the other guard spot, perhaps both. Brown probably has one more year. I wouldnt be a bit surprised to see either Ifedi or Britt resigned. Ifedi has a bad rep as a penalty waiting to happen and as a human turnstile. To be fair to him, his last couple years he has shown huge improvement. In terms of availability and consistency, he has been the best lineman. Both Britt and Ifedi had rough starts to their careers but have been much better with experience. I remember how awful Ray Roberts was as a Seahawk but then went on to have a good career elsewhere . Oline is a position that is extremely difficult to come in as a rookie and contribute at a high level. In 2020 I won’t be surprised to see only 1 or 2 new guys playing on the line that are not already Seahawks.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:46 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

Hmm in 2011 BEFORE Wilson they were ranked 25th in pass blocking, nice try though, fyi we have not had an oline higher than 20th since PC has been here hmm.. FYI the year before PC 14th. Hmm

Cable dude, do your research.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:04 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

Cable dude, do your research.

They arevrankwd 15th now and neve higher than 20th do your researcher, and. Ow given it has been 1 different oline coaches we can now point to PC and is desire for run blockers.
    John63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information