Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's time for John Ursua

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
It's time for John Ursua
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:50 am
  • Ursua was my favorite draft pick ; and I've been patiently waiting for the Hawks to give him a legit shot . With the loss of Gordon now is the time . He is as close to a Doug Baldwin clone as they will ever get . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Re: It's time for John Ursua
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:51 am
  • xray wrote:Ursua was my favorite draft pick ; and I've been patiently waiting for the Hawks to give him a legit shot . With the loss of Gordon now is the time . He is as close to a Doug Baldwin clone as they will ever get . IMO

Agree!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:09 am
  • Really like what little I have seen of Ursua, but I think the issue is there is only room for one of Lockett or Ursua with respect to blocking or distracting safeties and CBs in the running game. Gordon and DK, both those dudes can block Linebackers and make it stick, never mind blocking DBs.

If you could have only one of Lockett or Ursua on the field at a time, as a run-blocking non-factor, but a massive factor in the passing game, which would you choose? Yeah, me too. But I do agree, I think Ursua should be getting at least half a dozen snaps a game.

I think the Baldwin comp is a huge stretch at this point. Ursua hasn't really even played in the regular season that I've seen. Anyone know his snap count for the regular season? Is it above zero (0) ?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:14 am
  • Ursua is a Julian Edelman/ Cole Beasley clone. Not a Doug Baldwin clone. Doug could block and play ST's.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 am
  • Get the man on the field NOW !!!!!

A new weapon to get integrated before the playoffs.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:42 am
  • Mad Dog wrote:Ursua is a Julian Edelman/ Cole Beasley clone. Not a Doug Baldwin clone. Doug could block and play ST's.

If he is compared to any of those guys ; he shouldn't be riding the pine . He lead the nation in TDs in 2018 . He's also 25 years old . Not a kid . Let's see what he's got . There's hardly any pro film on him ; so he could be a big surprise to unveil on an opponents defense .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:45 am
  • If nothing else, I think it is important to find out what they have with him. Particularly given the talent at the WR position next year.

Although it's tough to make that case. The team is 11-3 right now and vying for a division title and a bye. If we were in LAR's shoes, it would make sense to see what we have. But circumstances don't allow. Think we'll have to just see how he develops after a second offseason in the system.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:35 am
  • Watch his senior year highlights video. The guy is money in the red zone on rub-type play calls.

I sure hope that he sees the field this year.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 am
  • I wish someone would ask Pete about him at a presser. Maybe Pete is saving him for the Owl. Secret weapon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:40 am
  • He was at least active for the last game. That's progress. It was nice to see him on the sideline in uniform...one step closer to some action.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:24 pm
  • Well lets look at it
    Lockett known
    DK kind of known with some dropo adn fumble issues

Brown ahh ahh nothing
    Moore ahh ahh nothing
    Turner well he shows some signs but limited chances
    Urusa so

Well we are thin at WR so why not Ursua
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:36 pm
  • The team's focus right now is 100% on winning the next game and 0% on developing young talent for future seasons. Ursua will get opportunities when they think he is the best short-term option.

Jacob Hollister is the guy currently running the same kind of routes that you'd like to give to Ursua.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:47 pm
  • Hollister is definitely the "go to" guy. Has great hands and has gained much valuable game experience this year and has been fabulous in the process.

Would be awesome to see them integrate Ursua into this as well. Russ spends almost an hour after every practice working with these guys. I have total confidence in all of them.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:50 pm
  • I've wanted him playing all season long! The dude has skills. He should be playing.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:09 pm
  • onanygivensunday wrote:Watch his senior year highlights video. The guy is money in the red zone on rub-type play calls.

Much agreed...every Hawks fan should watch his senior highlights . I've watched several . This man can be very helpful moving the chains in several ways .IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:44 pm
  • Senior highlights are not an automatic translation to the NFL in any way whatsoever. Everyone in the pros, at every position on both sides, is bigger and faster and stronger than anyone Ursua faced in college, in ways that cameras just don't capture.

It might be that Pete and John, scout and dumpster-diving extraordinaires of the 2010s and finder of astonishing talent available for fifth- and seventh-round picks, are somehow blind to the talent that's right in front of them that is John Ursua.

Or...it might be that he's just not that good. Slow to learn the playbook, slow to develop blocking, slow period.

The chances are that he's not another Doug Baldwin hiding on the roster. The chances are that he just hadn't beaten Gordon, Moore, Turner, or even Brown for the position yet.

Now that Josh Gordon is out, though, he's got a better chance of appearing.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:40 pm
  • All of our wins have been tight games, so rookies like Ursua didn't get to play much in real games.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:04 pm
  • I have been an Ursua fan since he was first drafted and saw what he could do during training camp. I would love to see him getting some snaps but Pete sees him every day in practice and apparently doesn't think he is ready yet.
    I'm guessing he will have a great future in a Hawk uniform, just biding his time...
    GO HAWKS.....
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:43 am
  • onanygivensunday wrote:Watch his senior year highlights video. The guy is money in the red zone on rub-type play calls.

College? College?
    This is the NFL son. Making plays in college only minimally projects to making plays in the NFL. Gary Jennings and Amara Darboh's college tapes were awesome too.

He'll either be good or he won't and he'll play when the coaches think he's ready. They clearly like him or they would have cut him long ago. But we have guy that have been in the system longer and do the little things right. Gotta beat out those guys and it's not about hands and routes. It's about ST value, run blocking, knowing the playbook.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:39 am
  • Ursua is a 7th round pick who has flashed in preseason but is playing a position that takes a notoriously long time to develop. Metcalf is developing at a fast rate and he is still making rookie mistakes.

There's also the Wilson factor. How many snaps has Ursua taken with Russ in practice? That timing and trust takes time.

They obviously like him, considering they are holding onto him over Jennings and he has no contributions on Special Teams. I think that he just needs more time with Russ.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 am
  • I think a 6-5 WR like Ferguson would be far more impactful and more likely to actually make some things happen than Ursua. Maybe he can be a good player that can help us but penciling him in as the next DB or coming in and producing on 3rd down like Gordon is a pipe dream. Not this year he hasn't played a down in anything but exhibition. Ferguson because of the clear match up problem he creates would have a far better chance.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:05 am
  • I'd love to see him get a few plays as well. Of course, they are 11-3 w/out him and when they think it's time for him to get in there, he'll be in there. They know a lot more about football than any of us do.
    Looking forward to seeing him play, whenever that may be. But IF he is that good, he would already be playing. Time will tell. I'm sure he'll make the most out of his opportunity.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:55 am
  • What I liked about Ursua in preseason was his quick twitch. He seemed to get separation and when open had good hands. If he can do that, and sustain it he could have a long NFL career.
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:03 pm
  • Fly sweeps, short passing game etc. Seems like he could help a lot that way.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:27 pm
  • I'd love to see Ursua get some snaps, but Gordon leaving really has nothing to do with Ursua. Not the same position.

Gordon leaving means more Moore and Brown, not our 3rd string slot receiver behind Turner/Lockett.

But yeah, if we can get Ursua in there, I'd like to see what he's got.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:36 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:Watch his senior year highlights video. The guy is money in the red zone on rub-type play calls.

College? College?
    This is the NFL son. Making plays in college only minimally projects to making plays in the NFL. Gary Jennings and Amara Darboh's college tapes were awesome too.

He'll either be good or he won't and he'll play when the coaches think he's ready. They clearly like him or they would have cut him long ago. But we have guy that have been in the system longer and do the little things right. Gotta beat out those guys and it's not about hands and routes. It's about ST value, run blocking, knowing the playbook.

Then watch his pre season highlights ; wearing a Seahawks uniform...Son
    xray
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:25 pm
  • xray wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:Watch his senior year highlights video. The guy is money in the red zone on rub-type play calls.

College? College?

Then watch his pre season highlights ; wearing a Seahawks uniform...Son

Preseason is almost as meaningless as college.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:27 am
  • StoneCold wrote:What I liked about Ursua in preseason was his quick twitch. He seemed to get separation and when open had good hands. If he can do that, and sustain it he could have a long NFL career.

I was surprised that he was so quick in preseason. He didn't look that quick twitch in college.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:57 am
  • They obviously are high on him by keeping him on the roster to keep another team from plucking him off of the practice squad, but if he was ready for real NFL football I think he would have seen some meaningful playing time before now.
    Sure Gordon is gone, but he still didn't get any PT ahead of the likes of Turner and Brown before Gordon. I'm not expecting him to be even a minor factor this season.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:40 pm
  • Ursuas problem is Lockett. both are slot wr's.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:47 pm
  • LOl we go into the final 2 games and playoffs with 1 known WR, a Rookie with drops and fumble issues and a bunch of no names, done nothings adn peple think a rookie hwo has been unalbe to get ont he filed atll will help. LOL
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:36 pm
  • John63 wrote:LOl we go into the final 2 games and playoffs with 1 known WR, a Rookie with drops and fumble issues and a bunch of no names, done nothings adn peple think a rookie hwo has been unalbe to get ont he filed atll will help. LOL

that rookie just happens to be the #1 rookie wide receiver in the NFL.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:34 pm
  • Chukarhawk wrote:
    John63 wrote:LOl we go into the final 2 games and playoffs with 1 known WR, a Rookie with drops and fumble issues and a bunch of no names, done nothings adn peple think a rookie hwo has been unalbe to get ont he filed atll will help. LOL

that rookie just happens to be the #1 rookie wide receiver in the NFL.

Goodie does not change the fumbles and drops though
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:48 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Ursuas problem is Lockett. both are slot wr's.

backups are needed. Plus Lockett isn't near exclusively slot.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:33 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:What I liked about Ursua in preseason was his quick twitch. He seemed to get separation and when open had good hands. If he can do that, and sustain it he could have a long NFL career.

I was surprised that he was so quick in preseason. He didn't look that quick twitch in college.
    He had a knee injury(torn acl) which he had surgery towards the end of of his sophomore year. Yes he did lead the nation in TD's his junior year, however, he was only playing at about 80%.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
    HawaiiD
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 pm
  • Northwest Seahawk wrote:I think a 6-5 WR like Ferguson would be far more impactful and more likely to actually make some things happen than Ursua. Maybe he can be a good player that can help us but penciling him in as the next DB or coming in and producing on 3rd down like Gordon is a pipe dream. Not this year he hasn't played a down in anything but exhibition. Ferguson because of the clear match up problem he creates would have a far better chance.

LOL, Yeah, it's too bad that he isn't a 6'-5" Receiver like Doug Baldwin was, or a 6'-7'' guy like Lockett, Wilson needs all the big Receivers he can get. :mrgreen:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd love to see Ursua get some snaps, but Gordon leaving really has nothing to do with Ursua. Not the same position.

Gordon leaving means more Moore and Brown, not our 3rd string slot receiver behind Turner/Lockett.

I think everyone wants to see what he can do in an actual regular season game. However, with two games to go and the #1 seed in the playoffs within reach, is it really time to dip into the bottom of the roster just to see what you have in a 7th rounder who showed potential in the preseason?!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:20 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd love to see Ursua get some snaps, but Gordon leaving really has nothing to do with Ursua. Not the same position.

I think everyone wants to see what he can do in an actual regular season game. However, with two games to go and the #1 seed in the playoffs within reach, is it really time to dip into the bottom of the roster just to see what you have in a 7th rounder who showed potential in the preseason?!

I expect to see some Ursua next game, IF, we are up by 3 TDS. Pete would want to see what Ursua can do.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:38 pm
  • Ursua is inactive again today.

Consider that in the optimal Seahawks gameplan we pass around 30 times. How should those targets ideally be spread out?

10 targets to Lockett
    8 targets to Metcalf
    6 targets to Hollister
    5 targets to RBs
    1 target to Brown/Turner/Moore/Ursua

There's a very good reason why that last group doesn't get many targets and is heavily skewed to run blockers. There's only one football and not that many targets to go around.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:47 pm
  • Hes not playing until next year unless there's an injury.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:22 pm
  • Well, this could finally be the week. Malik Turner is out with a concussion. Pete said that John Ursua should see GAME ACTION Sunday night!!!!!

James in PA
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:14 am
  • Said he will be active, the assumption is he will see action, Turner is a special teams player that's one spot and Turner also has been used to replace Gordon so there is that slot as well.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:26 am
  • He will somehow touch the ball this week . Bet on it , :0190l:
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:35 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Hes not playing until next year unless there's an injury.

Malik Turner out with a concussion so it could happen this week
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:36 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Hes not playing until next year unless there's an injury.

xray wrote:He will somehow touch the ball this week . Bet on it , :0190l:

hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:47 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Hes not playing until next year unless there's an injury.

xray wrote:He will somehow touch the ball this week . Bet on it , :0190l:

I am hoping that he could be the surprise of the week, 9ers may not game plan for him, there's no film on Ursua to game plan on.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:24 pm
  • Ready to see what the flying Hawaiian can do
    Uhearditherefirst
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 am
  • I'm not picky about who it is. If anyone can turn out to be a Seahawk hero tonight I'm all in for them.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:39 am
  • As Chuck and Jimi stated........ “Maybe someday your name will be in lights......Go Johnny Go.......Johnny B Goode”........

Hoping it’s tonight!
    Hachtung
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information