Winning the Super Bowl as a Wild Card

HawkGA

Reaction score
Is this the year the Seahawks could do it? They are actually doing better on the road than at home this year so this might be the year they show they don't need to have home field advantage to make the Super Bowl.

I mean, I'd still rather see them get some home games, but still.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's more about having the first round bye, getting that week of rest and only having to win two playoff games and not three that really benefits the first two seeds.

Sure it's possible, but as we saw last year come January everyone's beat up and really it's a game of attrition as to who gets to the SB.

Sure once in a while a team like the 2008 Giants can roll and win a SB, but that's it really for examples. Just so damn difficult to stay healthy and sharp when everyone's dinged up and on fumes trying to play teams that are fully rested and at home.

i.e. The Patriots for the past 20 years. Guarantee you they'd have half the SB rings if they didn't have first round byes and HFA all the time.

sutz

Reaction score
Goes without saying that you prefer to play at home (even with out sketchy record this year) but I would love to see us win another road playoff game, on the way to the Super Bowl. :mrgreen:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like Largent said, getting that Bye (1 or 2 seed) to start the playoffs is HUGE. This team w/out a doubt has a very good shot of making it the NFC Championship....IF they get a bye and a home game in the Divisional Round. Then regardless if it's at home OR away, I like our chances against anyone on the road. Obviously, if they somehow (and I don't expect them to at all) get the #1 seed? Anything less than the Super Bowl would be a disappointment. The Hawks don't lose NFC Championship games at home. Home field is huge in football, in Seattle it is NEXT LEVEL in the playoffs.

xray

Reaction score
Wild card teams have won championships 5 times ; but I doubt this year will be the 6th time .

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
xray":3hlew3nv said:
Wild card teams have won championships 5 times ; but I doubt this year will be the 6th time .

Why?

I mean, most of your posts are doubt-related, but I'm still curious if you have any substance behind it, or if it's just your MO.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Would really suck if we finish 12-4 or better and still end up as a 5th seed

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2n4qjga7 said:
Would really suck if we finish 12-4 or better and still end up as a 5th seed

I actually kind of figure they'll either get the 1 seed or the 5 seed. Sucks for the way it's set up (though it has benefited the Hawks in the past), but that's the way it is. The Cardinals coming through Sunday would have been a nice help.

chris98251

Reaction score
6 games left, all the Super Bowl talk is like saying your going to score with the homecoming queen and you have not even asked her for a date yet.

JonRud

Reaction score
So my opinion is that no NFC team will make the Super Bowl this year if they are not the #1 or #2 seed. the teams are too good, I cannot see any team winning 3 road games as a wildcard, or a home game (as a 3 or 4 seed), then 2 potential road games. Yes it's possible, but to me extremely unlikely.

I believe the Hawks need to be the #1 or #2 seed to make the Super Bowl. As such, I have been thinking all night that (assuming the Hawks beat the Eagles), it's actually better if the 49ers beat the Packers on Sun night. I know it sounds crazy but here is my thinking.

The Hawks control their own destiny for the NFC West. if they win out, they win the West. if they enter Week 17 one game behind SF and beat them, they win the West.

I am concerned about winning the division and still being the #3 seed. We lost to the Saints, so they have the tiebreaker over us if we finish with the same record. Assume for a minute the Saints get the #1 seed.

the NFC East winner will be the #4 seed. so either the Hawks as NFC West Champs or GB/Min is the #2 seed.

Look at GB schedule after they play SF this week

at Giants
vs Redskins
vs Bears
at Vikings
at Lions

The Vikings game is probably the only game they lose in there. so if they beat SF, they probably finish the season 13-3. we don't know yet a tiebreak winner between Sea & GB for the #2 seed with both teams 13-3. and it will be very hard for the Hawks to go 5-1 down the stretch with this schedule and finish 13-3. I think 12-4 is the most likely outcome.

Minn can still win the NFC North, which would be ok if the Hawks beat Min on Dec 2nd and get the tiebreaker over them. I just think GB has such an easy schedule after this week they might be very hard for the Hawks to catch. If they lose to SF and then in Minnesota, the Hawks can potentially beat them on a tiebreaker at 12-4.

Don't get me wrong - I am not going to sit there Sunday night actively rooting for SF, I just have a feeling that at the end of the season, it might work out better for the Hawks if the 49ers actually beat the Packers this weekend. The 49ers next 2 games are at Baltimore and at the Saints. They will likely lost 1 or 2 of those and the Hawks can catch them or worst case stay 1 game back. Very likely the Week 17 game is going to be for the NFC West title (and be flexed to Sunday Night)

I just think the #1 or #2 seed is ultra critical. These seeds have dominated the playoffs for many years now, and the NFC playoffs this year are brutal. the importance of a bye and advancing cannot be overstated. anyone you have to play on wildcard weekend is a great team (maybe not great, but playing in Dal or Phi that weekend is not easy). then if you survive that you have to win in NO and in GB, or something like that. extremely hard.

I understand there are 6 games left and all of these games will not turn out as we think they might. but I love this playoff scenario stuff.

it's amazing the Hawks are 5-0 on the road, but I will take my chances with a bye and at least 1 home game, maybe 2. as someone stated earlier - the Hawks as the #1 seed are gold. I do not want to be the #5 seed just to have a chance to prove that 'the Hawks can win it all from the road' that is total nonsense, get the bye and get to the Super Bowl.

JonRud

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1sk7z437 said:
It's more about having the first round bye, getting that week of rest and only having to win two playoff games and not three that really benefits the first two seeds.

Sure it's possible, but as we saw last year come January everyone's beat up and really it's a game of attrition as to who gets to the SB.

Sure once in a while a team like the 2008 Giants can roll and win a SB, but that's it really for examples. Just so damn difficult to stay healthy and sharp when everyone's dinged up and on fumes trying to play teams that are fully rested and at home.

i.e. The Patriots for the past 20 years. Guarantee you they'd have half the SB rings if they didn't have first round byes and HFA all the time.

100% agree. the Pats have been in a horrendous division for almost 20 years. there is no competition. so they are always the #1 seed and have an easy path to the Super Bowl. when have you seen the Pats get to the Super Bowl as the wildcard? never, that's when. playing in a joke of a division is a huge factor in their success.

JonRud

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1zim98d2 said:
xray":1zim98d2 said:

Why?

I mean, most of your posts are doubt-related, but I'm still curious if you have any substance behind it, or if it's just your MO.

Jumping in here - since 1975 there have been 10 wildcard teams that played in the Super Bowl. that covers 44 Super Bowls. So 10 teams out of 88 were wildcards (11%).

The last team to win the Super Bowl as a wildcard was the Packers in 2010. recent history has been almost all #1 and #2 seeds in the Super Bowl.

sure anything can happen, but you can't like the odds of making or winning the Super Bowl as a #5 or #6 seed. and the NFC has not been this top heavy with so many good teams in at least 20 years, or maybe ever.

TAB420

Reaction score
So my opinion is that no NFC team will make the Super Bowl this year if they are not the #1 or #2 seed

Wanna bet...:)

xray

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3et1ozfa said:
xray":3et1ozfa said:

Why?

Because wild card teams seldom win SBs . Are you a post analyst or trolling for fights ?

Followthelegion

Reaction score
JonRud":1qcblpe3 said:
So my opinion is that no NFC team will make the Super Bowl this year if they are not the #1 or #2 seed. the teams are too good, I cannot see any team winning 3 road games as a wildcard, or a home game (as a 3 or 4 seed), then 2 potential road games. Yes it's possible, but to me extremely unlikely.

I believe the Hawks need to be the #1 or #2 seed to make the Super Bowl. As such, I have been thinking all night that (assuming the Hawks beat the Eagles), it's actually better if the 49ers beat the Packers on Sun night. I know it sounds crazy but here is my thinking.

The Hawks control their own destiny for the NFC West. if they win out, they win the West. if they enter Week 17 one game behind SF and beat them, they win the West.

I am concerned about winning the division and still being the #3 seed. We lost to the Saints, so they have the tiebreaker over us if we finish with the same record. Assume for a minute the Saints get the #1 seed.

the NFC East winner will be the #4 seed. so either the Hawks as NFC West Champs or GB/Min is the #2 seed.

at Giants
vs Redskins
vs Bears
at Vikings
at Lions

The Vikings game is probably the only game they lose in there. so if they beat SF, they probably finish the season 13-3. we don't know yet a tiebreak winner between Sea & GB for the #2 seed with both teams 13-3. and it will be very hard for the Hawks to go 5-1 down the stretch with this schedule and finish 13-3. I think 12-4 is the most likely outcome.

Minn can still win the NFC North, which would be ok if the Hawks beat Min on Dec 2nd and get the tiebreaker over them. I just think GB has such an easy schedule after this week they might be very hard for the Hawks to catch. If they lose to SF and then in Minnesota, the Hawks can potentially beat them on a tiebreaker at 12-4.

Don't get me wrong - I am not going to sit there Sunday night actively rooting for SF, I just have a feeling that at the end of the season, it might work out better for the Hawks if the 49ers actually beat the Packers this weekend. The 49ers next 2 games are at Baltimore and at the Saints. They will likely lost 1 or 2 of those and the Hawks can catch them or worst case stay 1 game back. Very likely the Week 17 game is going to be for the NFC West title (and be flexed to Sunday Night)

I just think the #1 or #2 seed is ultra critical. These seeds have dominated the playoffs for many years now, and the NFC playoffs this year are brutal. the importance of a bye and advancing cannot be overstated. anyone you have to play on wildcard weekend is a great team (maybe not great, but playing in Dal or Phi that weekend is not easy). then if you survive that you have to win in NO and in GB, or something like that. extremely hard.

I understand there are 6 games left and all of these games will not turn out as we think they might. but I love this playoff scenario stuff.

it's amazing the Hawks are 5-0 on the road, but I will take my chances with a bye and at least 1 home game, maybe 2. as someone stated earlier - the Hawks as the #1 seed are gold. I do not want to be the #5 seed just to have a chance to prove that 'the Hawks can win it all from the road' that is total nonsense, get the bye and get to the Super Bowl.

Excellent post - I hadn't realised GB has such a cakewalk schedule. They look destined to finish 13-3 [with 12-4 and 14-2 less likely possibilities]. SF's schedule is brutal so I agree with you...GB need to lose this weekend. Quite content with Bal / NO and Seattle beating SF to knock them down to 13-3, potentially same as us with the tie breaker.

Anyone got how the tiebreaker would break down in that scenario if us and GB finished 13-3? Also what NO being 13-3 also would do to the seeding?

RiverDog

Reaction score
JonRud":29fhbf8p said:

at Giants
vs Redskins
vs Bears
at Vikings
at Lions

Good post, and that's exactly why I like to wait until after the Thanksgiving weekend games before I start figuring out what outcomes of games we're not a participant in. The 49'ers could very easily end the season with 5 losses, we win the division by two games, yet the Packers and Saints end up with the first round byes. There's just too many viable possibilities this far out.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":1kqpbhwz said:
JonRud":1kqpbhwz said:

at Giants
vs Redskins
vs Bears
at Vikings
at Lions

Good post, and that's exactly why I like to wait until after the Thanksgiving weekend games before I start figuring out what outcomes of games we're not a participant in, and even then, it's still pretty muddied up. The 49'ers could very easily end the season with 5 losses, we win the division by two games, yet the Packers and Saints end up with the first round byes. There's just too many viable possibilities this far out to worry about the consequences of games we're not involved in.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Followthelegion":hk09dsa9 said:
JonRud":hk09dsa9 said:

at Giants
vs Redskins
vs Bears
at Vikings
at Lions

Excellent post - I hadn't realised GB has such a cakewalk schedule. They look destined to finish 13-3 [with 12-4 and 14-2 less likely possibilities]. SF's schedule is brutal so I agree with you...GB need to lose this weekend. Quite content with Bal / NO and Seattle beating SF to knock them down to 13-3, potentially same as us with the tie breaker.

Anyone got how the tiebreaker would break down in that scenario if us and GB finished 13-3? Also what NO being 13-3 also would do to the seeding?

If I have seen things correctly, I believe that New Orleans has the tiebreaker over us so that would be one over us from our loss. I think then it is between GB and us and I think due to Strength of Schedule (sos) they would have one over us and would win the number 2 seed. I think we would have the 3 seed.

Looking at this.... you can guess the situation. Either GB gets the number one seed or New Orleans. We would still be the 3rd seed. GB needs to lose to SF to make our seed 1 or 2. Then the common foes/sos works in our favor.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Common foe is SF for our viewpoint. Tis a tangled web we weave.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The way the NFC looks right now, the Wild Card teams are going to be pretty damn good. I could easily see a Wild Card winning the whole thing. What happened in the past has nothing to do with this year.

HawkerD

Reaction score
xray":1s30sz4o said:
Since the wild-card round of the playoffs started in 1970, 10 wild-card teams have advanced to the Super Bowl. Six have won the Super Bowl -- the Oakland Raiders (1980), Denver Broncos (1997), Baltimore Ravens (2000), Pittsburgh Steelers (2005), New York Giants (2007) and Green Bay Packers (2010).