Something no one has brought up since the 49'ers game...

calinator

Reaction score
Not seen one mention of the fact that Carson dumped another one on the ground but luckily since his OL recovered it and we won it's not even remembered. I love his running but sometimes i'm not sure if it's worth it if he's going to be fumbling this often but he's so much better at running than any other option so he kind of is worth it.

Also Penny fumbled it once on two carries and he's just not a good RB, he's just not. From game #1 in his career I was pretty surprised he was a first rounder. He's slow with no other redeeming qualities. I make this topic because with 2 weeks off i'd like to see ball security being worked on in practice. I hope they are.

Sac

Reaction score
What's funny is that you can clearly see that Penny has the talent to be a great runner - but I think he's still not gotten over the fact that he got pwned by a 6th rounder in camp - and can't take the job from him. I think his issues are mental at this point. But if Carson gets hurt I'm glad we have Penny back there.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
He's now known. People are going to be all over him because they know there might be pay dirt, this is a very pivotal time for Carson. He's wearing a target.

He knows what to do, he needs to get used to holding the football differently WHEN IT MATTERS. This will come down to him really owning it and changing something his body tries to do a different way in under a second with big nasties chasing him. I think he's going to fix it, if he doesn't it won't be an attitude problem.

On at least one of the fumbles it was just a brilliantly executed strip, don't remember which one, but had to tip the cap on that one.

I know this is probably something I took for granted with Marshawn (my favorite player ever, 1a, 1b with Russ)

For all the fight Lynch brought on every snap, for every damn inch, he somehow held on to the football, and if you watch him, it's clearly something he got used to THINKING about, always on the back burner, WHILE he was doing his thing. Cool to watch.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I will add, the ones that are bothering me are when he's in the open, holding the football like a european hand bag. He should stop doing that now.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
calinator":25xw5jyu said:
Not seen one mention of the fact that Carson dumped another one on the ground but luckily since his OL recovered it and we won it's not even remembered. I love his running but sometimes i'm not sure if it's worth it if he's going to be fumbling this often but he's so much better at running than any other option so he kind of is worth it.

Also Penny fumbled it once on two carries and he's just not a good RB, he's just not. From game #1 in his career I was pretty surprised he was a first rounder. He's slow with no other redeeming qualities. I make this topic because with 2 weeks off i'd like to see ball security being worked on in practice. I hope they are.

Every Thursday is Turnover Thursday where the offense focuses on ball security and the defense focuses on stripping the ball. It's a major emphasis of Pete's program. "It's all about the ball."

And I haven't lost complete hope in Penny. I just see him as a Mo Morris type rather than a Shaun Alexander type.

kidhawk

Reaction score
calinator":2i6ffln6 said:

I don't recall the exact thread(s) but I've read multiple posts about our fumbling issues and how they are still a problem since our win last week.

I don't know about anyone else, but every time we run the ball, I find myself just hoping they hold onto the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete talked about this with Danny and Gallant Monday.

He and everyone else knows the fumbling has to stop, but like Pete said it's a hard thing to stop because as soon as something like fumbling is on film EVERY team goes after the ball on every play.

Carson, Penny, and now DK have to know this and prioritize ball security over fighting for extra yards. Which is much harder said then done, it's not in any player's nature.

But IMO that's the only way you turn something like around.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
After the Penny fumble, it looks as if the Hawks have zero confidence in Penny.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
penny just needs carries. you give that guy the share of the load he would easily be 1000yd + back and very likely top 5 in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":ddodaryu said:
After the Penny fumble, it looks as if the Hawks have zero confidence in Penny.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say Pete's confidence and trust in Penny is somewhere around a 2 or 3.

But we need Penny, Carson's been awesome but can't keep expecting him to carry the ball as much as he does and still remain effective into the playoffs, or else you're risking what we saw in the Dallas playoff game, a diminished dinged up Carson.

So Pete's gotta keep giving Penny carries and opportunities.

samwize77

Reaction score
Lets not forget Russ ALMOST lost the ball on his scramble..and lost it on the strip/sack/Ifedi/TD. Yeah...they gotta work on this..everyone has a "strip the ball" target on their backs.

samwize77

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":lbww90dg said:
But he didn't.
Yeah..I get that. and you can normally trust Russ to not turn it over. But when everyone is turning into butterfingers it doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Myers FG's seem to always be close to the uprights. I find myself holding my breath every kick. I'm also finding myself saying "hold on the ball!!" way to often...not a good thing.
Go Hawks.... :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, I never worry about Russ, but those RB's...….wow. You catch yourself screaming at the TV "Hold on to the damn ball!"

xray

Reaction score
That issue will most certainly be huge . Opponents are waiting and watching . most turnovers are non retrievable .

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Penny fumbles once (it's the only fumble in his NFL career) and everyone is piling on him. Carson's fumbled 6 times this year already (Carson has 9 fumbles in his career). Penny can do no right and Carson can't seem to do no wrong. Both are Seahawks. I'm cheering for both to succeed and hopefully fumble less in the process.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2bn4rxce said:
Penny fumbles once (it's the only fumble in his NFL career) and everyone is piling on him. Carson's fumbled 6 times this year already (Carson has 9 fumbles in his career). Penny can do no right and Carson can't seem to do no wrong. Both are Seahawks. I'm cheering for both to succeed and hopefully fumble less in the process.
:2thumbs: Agree..

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
? Penny fumbled at least TWICE this year when they decided to go to a change up. Both of them need to take care of the ball a lot more. Carson is a beast, we all know that. But clearly, fumbling is an issue. Fingers crossed he gets back to protecting it a lot better.