Seahawks reportedly turned down trade offer for Rashaad Penn

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • PENNY, that is. I know lots in here would have done this deal. Lions were offering a 3rd rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• Source? I'd like to read it
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

• Got to say Penny hasn't shown much of late, if anything, he has regressed.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• If they did trade him, they could've replaced him with Kenyan Drake for a conditional late rd pick, or somehow managed to get Mike Davis back.

Hopefully Schneider turned it down because he thinks he can get a 3rd for Penny after the season...
    Last edited by massari on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• A 3rd rounder would of been nice and surprised they were offered that. But if Carson went down I'd imagine that would really hurt for the stretch run. Maybe they don't have confidence in Travis Homer at all?
    illmatik
    NET Bench Warmer

• I find it very hard to believe a team was willing to trade a 3rd for Penny, even the Lions.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *

• The Lions suck too, and would still have sucked with Penny. That's probably a nice pick we passed on, if the reports are true.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Still holding out hope for Mr. Penny, he's still thinking way too much.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Still not ready to dump an RB at this stage of the season. If we were running closer to .500 in the W/L column, sure, but we might just need Penny come January.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Penny, Penny, Penny. How I wish your last name was Chubb.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• He's one injury away from being the lead back on this team. For sure if we traded him, Carson goes down. Pete has learned not to leave yourself thin at key positions in his system and he needs RB's and OL to run the show with Wilson.

Granted the 3rd round has been a sweet spot for Schneider drafting (Wilson, Lockett, Griffin, Barton). But a draft pick is never a guarantee of success and we've had plenty of busts from that round (Darboh, Odhiambo, Hill, Prosise).

I still think Penny has potential. Just stuck behind a back that Pete really likes.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:The Lions suck too, and would still have sucked with Penny. That's probably a nice pick we passed on, if the reports are true.

Bo Scarborough had a good outing for them yesterday
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I think it was smart to not pull the trigger for a 3rd rd pick when you consider one injury to Carson and you'd be thin as sh!t at RB. You don't leave yourself without a solid backup when you've got a potential deep playoff run season on the line. Not to say Penny is "solid" but he has flashed some show of talent in a few games. I believe he's one of those guys that's only going to shine if put under the lights. Hopefully Carson stays healthy and we don't have to find out.
    kmeleon
    NET Rookie

• Mad Dog wrote:He's one injury away from being the lead back on this team. For sure if we traded him, Carson goes down. Pete has learned not to leave yourself thin at key positions in his system and he needs RB's and OL to run the show with Wilson.

Granted the 3rd round has been a sweet spot for Schneider drafting (Wilson, Lockett, Griffin, Barton). But a draft pick is never a guarantee of success and we've had plenty of busts from that round (Darboh, Odhiambo, Hill, Prosise).

I still think Penny has potential. Just stuck behind a back that Pete really likes.

So what you are saying we are as about as good as a monkey rolling dice? BTW, Griffin is still a we'll see. Barton has done virtually zero.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

• I wish we would have taken it. :(
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• May as well double down on the madness. :roll:

He's never going to be the bell cow #1 back that Pete attempted to draft so why continue the pipe dream?? Weird.

:snack:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• bruh how do you reject a 3rd rounder? Must be fake news, no way they don't take that, highway robbery that
    quadsas
    NET Veteran

• Damn.. turned it down? Really, we find 7th rounders and FA's that are better.

Penny, needs to lose weight and run like a bat out of hell.. instead of a oinker.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• illmatik wrote:A 3rd rounder would of been nice and surprised they were offered that. But if Carson went down I'd imagine that would really hurt for the stretch run. Maybe they don't have confidence in Travis Homer at all?

I'm guessing they were scared to lose the depth, which makes sense. That said, I would have taken the trade.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• They probably talked to any team that had a warm body. It would be have been stupid to trade him. We would have been 1 play away from being worse off than the lions. No extra pick would help us getting to and winning in the playoffs,
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• They must still think that Penny is a legitimate 1st rounder and won't admit otherwise . They should of cut their losses and taken the offer . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Penny hasn't had a chance to have the run game tailored to his strengths..
    It's obvious he is not a beast type runner so you don't try to fit a square into a circle.
    I like Penny and hope he gets his chance it may happen next year who knows.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• HawkerD wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:He's one injury away from being the lead back on this team. For sure if we traded him, Carson goes down. Pete has learned not to leave yourself thin at key positions in his system and he needs RB's and OL to run the show with Wilson.

So what you are saying we are as about as good as a monkey rolling dice? BTW, Griffin is still a we'll see. Barton has done virtually zero.

Griffin is a solid starter and Barton is probably going to be one next year (sure I'm projecting a bit but the coaches really like him). Wilson and Lockett are probowlers. Monkey's rolling dice aren't getting probowlers in the 3rd round. Well maybe one monkey is.

I'm not saying I'm at all in favor of drafting potential for even less clear potential. We've all seen Penny show his athleticism. He's more of a known commodity than a 3rd rounder. But many fans are all about the "grass is always greener". Penny looks to me to be better than Turbin and Prosise and more versatile than Homer who is really a north south speedster.

The fact that we didn't trade him means we still think he's got a future here. The fact that he was on the trading block means we think he's underperforming.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Mr Glass Prosise still on the roster? He's a ghost and why the need to still hold a spot for him?
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, let's not deal RB's quite yet. You never know the future, and we may not wanna regret doing that.
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Mad Dog wrote:The fact that we didn't trade him means we still think he's got a future here. The fact that he was on the trading block means we think he's underperforming.

But was he really "on the trading block?" From the OP, it sounds to me like Detroit came asking for him by name, and JS&PC said, "No way."

;)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I would of taken a conditional 7th rd.....
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• quadsas wrote:bruh how do you reject a 3rd rounder? Must be fake news, no way they don't take that, highway robbery that

It's the Lions too, so it'll likely be a high 3rd rounder.

Can't see them turning that down when he could've given up a conditional late rd pick for Kenyan Drake or Mike Davis to replace Penny.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• But it's on the internet, it must be true.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• If true they should've taken it?

Penny doesn't fit what Pete wants to do on a snap by snap basis.

He is a 3rd down RB in Pete's scheme, and Pete isn't changing his scheme.

What a misappropriation of a draft pick.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:If true they should've taken it?

Egg on the face. :D

At least for 1 week, hopefully more.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• How about we give players a chance to actually play before we slit their throats, and how about we do the same for our fellow man? None of us are experts at anything so, CHILL.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Fade wrote:
    Fade wrote:If true they should've taken it?

No where near as bad as this gem though.

Cyrus12 wrote:I would of taken a conditional 7th rd.....
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Boy am I glad that team management doesn’t look to fan message boards for ways to make the team better.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• My main concern has never been his talent. It's always been his work ethic, and out of shapeness.

I am more encouraged not by the game that he had, but by his post game presser. It shows there is an actually chance of sustained performance going forward.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• oldhawkfan wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Boy am I glad that team management doesn’t look to fan message boards for ways to make the team better.

If the Seahawks listened to me they would be a better team.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Dude likes Big Macs...But he runs at 21 MPH...Case CLOSED.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Dude likes Big Macs...But he runs at 21 MPH...Case CLOSED.

If you wouldnt take a 3rd rounder for him then you hate Seahawks
    quadsas
    NET Veteran

• One good game doesn't mean all of a sudden we were insane for not taking a 3rd rounder for Penny, if that was the offer.

And let's not forget Penny wasn't in the game because he deserved it, he was in the game because Pete's desperately trying to save Carson and not wear him out before the playoffs.

So yeah, great run by Penny. But he needs to have about 10 more games of what we saw yesterday before I'm willing to not take a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:One good game doesn't mean all of a sudden we were insane for not taking a 3rd rounder for Penny, if that was the offer.(He has had more than one good game)

And let's not forget Penny wasn't in the game because he deserved it, he was in the game because Pete's desperately trying to save Carson and not wear him out before the playoffs.(Carson fumbles..Enter Penny)

So yeah, great run by Penny. But he needs to have about 10 more games of what we saw yesterday before I'm willing to not take a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.
    (Even Carson does not have 10 good games like that)

A Penny for your thoughts.. :snack:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:One good game doesn't mean all of a sudden we were insane for not taking a 3rd rounder for Penny, if that was the offer.(He has had more than one good game)

And let's not forget Penny wasn't in the game because he deserved it, he was in the game because Pete's desperately trying to save Carson and not wear him out before the playoffs.(Carson fumbles..Enter Penny)

(Even Carson does not have 10 good games like that)

A Penny for your thoughts.. :snack:

total nonsense
    quadsas
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:One good game doesn't mean all of a sudden we were insane for not taking a 3rd rounder for Penny, if that was the offer.

And let's not forget Penny wasn't in the game because he deserved it, he was in the game because Pete's desperately trying to save Carson and not wear him out before the playoffs.

Wow overvaluing a 3rd round pick for sure. Most end up as backups or special teamers. Penny is a backup and likely moving into 1B starter status moving forward.

I think teams need to have two good backs to succeed. The season is long, the game is brutal. Having a physical slasher and and home run threat is a big need these days. Bell cows just wear down too quickly otherwise.

There is no way a pick was more valuable than a player with Penny's gifts. Especially when we would be going forward with Prosise and Homer as our RB's if Carson got injured/benched and Penny traded.

I get that draft picks = hope for many fans. But trading Penny would be like winning 50 bucks in a lottery and spending all 50 bucks on more lottery tickets.

And Pete said Penny was getting his shot because he'd finally turned a corner in practice and was balling out. So he did "deserve" it. But since fans don't watch practice they tend to make wild assumptions based on their own narratives.

My narrative on Penny was that he was not prepared to be a professional and has taken a bit of time to "get it". Some people are not as driven and mature at 22 as others. I think he's figuring things out and knows his playbook and responsibilities better. Of course I have no evidence to back that up but it fits my world better than the "Penny sucks and will never be good" narrative.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:One good game doesn't mean all of a sudden we were insane for not taking a 3rd rounder for Penny, if that was the offer.

10 more games like yesterday and it might just take a 2nd AND 3rd! Possibly more.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Well I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Actually Penny did deserve the playing time. Pete mention the way he has been practicing and has earned the playing time. Not to mention he outplayed Carson on that day. Coming off the bye week I dont think Pete was desperate to save Carsons legs but even if he was it is nice having the luxury of a quality RB to allow that option.

In the last quarter of a season where you are in the race for a HFA that alone is worth more than a 3rd round pick.
    Unless you are just enamored with a 8-1 longshot of finding a starter in the 3rd round.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• Those of us who are a bit worried that Carson is being overworked appreciate that Penny is:

1. Still here

and

2. Getting some carries to give Carson some rest leading into the critical time of the season.

:snack:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I'm just glad the "12s" and/or seahawks dot negative crew isn't running the team :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:I'm just glad the "12s" and/or seahawks dot negative crew isn't running the team :lol:

Agreed. And that applies to all the keyboard geniuses who's livelihood doesn't depend on making the right choices. ;)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• :2thumbs:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information