Points For/Against

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 am
  • Only two teams have scored more points than the Seahawks this year--the Chiefs (284) and the Ravens (300).

    We're currently at 275 points through 10 games. Granted a few of these points are defensive scores, but we're still #5 in offensive yards behind Dallas, KC, Baltimore, and Houston. We're not top 5 in either rushing (6th) or passing (10th) yards. But we're quite balanced.

    What's strange is that our points against is at 254 giving us a net points of only 21 even with 8 wins. I realized we've played a lot of close games, but do you think our point spread will increase in the last games of the season? We play some tough teams and good defenses--Rams, Vikings, and SF again--so they may all be tight.

    Is anyone concerned that these numbers don't show any blow-out wins that playoff teams usually have along the way?
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2262
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:45 am
  • My cardiologist recommends a larger margin of victory :shock:
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 871
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 pm
    Location: Camas, WA


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:50 am
  • Osprey wrote:My cardiologist recommends a larger margin of victory :shock:


    LOL! Yeah, the close games are tough on the blood-pump.

    I just wonder if we're going to see greater point spreads in our wins now, and if the D will come on strong while the O continues to roll.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2262
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 am


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:50 am
  • Osprey wrote:My cardiologist recommends a larger margin of victory :shock:


    LOL!

    I'd agree with a larger margin of victory, but i will take each victory one at a time, everyone of them is equally sweet.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6492
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:20 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:Only two teams have scored more points than the Seahawks this year--the Chiefs (284) and the Ravens (300).

    We're currently at 275 points through 10 games. Granted a few of these points are defensive scores, but we're still #5 in offensive yards behind Dallas, KC, Baltimore, and Houston. We're not top 5 in either rushing (6th) or passing (10th) yards. But we're quite balanced.

    What's strange is that our points against is at 254 giving us a net points of only 21 even with 8 wins. I realized we've played a lot of close games, but do you think our point spread will increase in the last games of the season? We play some tough teams and good defenses--Rams, Vikings, and SF again--so they may all be tight.

    Is anyone concerned that these numbers don't show any blow-out wins that playoff teams usually have along the way?


    If you look at margin of victory over a complete season, teams that are barely above zero don't do well into the postseason.

    The problem isn't the margin itself but the points allowed contributing to it. 25 points per game allowed is not good at all. It's been a lot of shootout craziness for this team this year. They've been winning but until last week haven't shown much in the way of being able to stop other teams from scoring effectively.

    But the team is 8-2, and if they win half of the rest of their games they're going to the playoffs. That's awesome and we are lucky to be fans of this team. But if they can't lock down the other team playing defense enough it's gonna take a near miracle with a lot of luck to ride this offense to glory.

    Also, you need to consider PPG average, not total since every team hasn't had a bye yet.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:00 pm
  • I get the feeling that that's how it looks when your a good enough team but your offense fumbles a lot
    I do think they can fix that and think we will have some better margins ahead and I really think if we just protected the ball better we'd have blown out santa clara
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 612
    Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 pm
    Location: The Burbs in Lacey


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:12 pm
  • Always found it an interesting stat (point differential) but doesn’t always tell the whole story.
    If a team plays a weak schedule or in a weak division it can be misleading.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26453
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:30 pm
  • hawxfreak wrote:I get the feeling that that's how it looks when your a good enough team but your offense fumbles a lot
    I do think they can fix that and think we will have some better margins ahead and I really think if we just protected the ball better we'd have blown out santa clara


    FYI we are 29th in fumbles per game

    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ip-whois/mpkpmgnjhejeodcbfaphaenpkkjdfbgo

    However we are 23rd in how many points our defense gives up.

    We are 16th in total TOs given up. So middle of the rode

    Several of the teams who give up more TOs have defenses that give up way less points.

    We have a combination of problems, we have an offense that does fumble more than it should, and we have a defense that gives up some points. Both should improve.


    So top WR fumble sis DK with 2, and we have 5 total with 4 lost
    Top RB fumbler Carson with 5 we have 8 total with 6 lost
    QB Wilson with 1 and 1 lost.

    So from a fumble perspective Carson is our biggest issue, Then DK

    As to defense I think the biggest issue as been pressure, but they might be coming around
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1647
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:53 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Always found it an interesting stat (points differential) but doesn’t always tell the whole story.
    If a team plays a weak schedule or in a weak division it can be misleading.


    DVOA, which corrects for opponent, calls us the #2 passing offense behind KC.

    We've played the #1, #4, #8, and #11 pass defenses - not a bad gamut.

    This offense is legit.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 17126
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:59 pm
  • With our remaining schedule, I don't see much chance of blowing anyone out. Maybe a chance of 7+ vs the Cards, the rest look to be 7 or less.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 871
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 pm
    Location: Camas, WA


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 pm
  • Osprey wrote:My cardiologist recommends a larger margin of victory :shock:



    That’s funny but I am looking at Seahawks games as one less day that I need to physically excerise. Get my cardio workouts just sitting in my chair. Win/win!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2224
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Points For/Against
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:21 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    Osprey wrote:My cardiologist recommends a larger margin of victory :shock:



    That’s funny but I am looking at Seahawks games as one less day that I need to physically excerise. Get my cardio workouts just sitting in my chair. Win/win!

    Yeah, but the torn rotator cuff from the thrown remotes is not so good.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 871
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 pm
    Location: Camas, WA


Re: Points For/Against
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:51 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    Osprey wrote:My cardiologist recommends a larger margin of victory :shock:



    That’s funny but I am looking at Seahawks games as one less day that I need to physically excerise. Get my cardio workouts just sitting in my chair. Win/win!

    I don't think it works that way.

    :rofl: :laugh:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17181
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Points For/Against
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm
  • A benefit of playing a lot of close games is that the team is "use to" it. Many teams that win a lot don't have that aspect and it is a Seahawk advantage this year (see SF game, they haven't had to deal with that situation much at all.)
    :smilingalien:
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1482
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA




It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information