espn hate/bias towards seattle in new article

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • This has become the norm with Prisco and espn using metrics and quite forgetting who we are and the fact that we have a proven QB.

    While I guess that means they hate Seattle teams which has always been the case, does it make it feel sweeter when we win. How do you handle garbage like this?

    We are also undefeated on the road. Beat the NFC highest current seed. If anything, I see the 49ers stumble as they play the Packers, Saints, Ravens, Rams and us once more.

    Not sure why they do not see this. Other than not wanting a southern alaska team to win.
    theseahawkguy
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:46 pm


  • It used to bug me a lot. I absolutely LOVE how much so many people and media types seem to hate the Hawks. Makes a week like this so sweet. Enjoying every second of it. They make excuses, the Hawks keep racking up wins.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14094
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • theseahawkguy wrote:. Other than not wanting a southern alaska team to win.


    That's it right there dude, bunch of rabid south Alaska racists out there. You gotta be careful.

    I was in a wedding in Louisiana a couple years ago, and took my family out to this southern restaurant, and the waiter asked me where we were from after he heard me talk....................and I told him Washington state.

    Threw me and my family RIGHT out of the restaurant and told us never to come back!

    Crazy man.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15921
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • lol. They hate us. lol

    Lots of competition to drive the waaaaaahmbulance around here.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8543
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:13 pm


  • I don't care if people like us or not. It has zero impact on what happens on the field. It's clear that players take this stuff seriously and use it as fuel. This is nothing new.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14094
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Most of the media does respect and like the Seahawks. We just like to find the few who don’t. Every time I watch an NFL segment on national TV, they are always talking about Russell and how he is clearly the MVP. We just like to think we are slighted and nobody likes us. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? McCaffery is having an unbelievable season and barely ever gets mentioned. Fact is the Seahawks have been in the lime light since our SB win. We are probably one of the top five most covered teams on a national media basis. But we deserve to be as we’ve been one of the best teams this decade. But we need to pump the breaks on the narrative that the media and NFL hates us. Because if we don’t, we just sound like spoiled brats.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


  • Do you have a link to it?
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5654
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Most of the media does respect and like the Seahawks. We just like to find the few who don’t. Every time I watch an NFL segment on national TV, they are always talking about Russell and how he is clearly the MVP. We just like to think we are slighted and nobody likes us. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? McCaffery is having an unbelievable season and barely ever gets mentioned. Fact is the Seahawks have been in the lime light since our SB win. We are probably one of the top five most covered teams on a national media basis. But we deserve to be as we’ve been one of the best teams this decade. But we need to pump the breaks on the narrative that the media and NFL hates us. Because if we don’t, we just sound like spoiled brats.


    I think for a certain segment of naive myopic sports fans, it empowers them to think there's a bias against their team.

    That way when something bad happens, a bad call, bad luck or someone saying something mean about their team.............they can say "SEE! SEE!"

    Somehow that helps them process and internalize those bad feelings, and weirdly makes them feel better? Idk.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15921
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • We all we got!
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1667
    Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 am


  • Where's the article?
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2906
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • At least post the article.

    But generally, I do feel we're the middle child of the NFL. The kid who does all the right things, and should get more praise and attention. But the favorite kid who doesn't get good grades and screws up from time to time gets the most genuine love.

    Yea the parents love ya, but you can just tell. Everyone will just say that kid is whining though. But it happens in families everyday and it happens in media.

    I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias, until many pundits predicted the "fall of the Seahawks" when the Rams got good. And when some media entities predicted that we'd go 4-12, or something crazy.

    What that showed to me was just a complete lack of respect for Russell & Pete. When you have the coach and the QB, no way you can say that team will have a losing record that significant. The media wouldn't say that about a Brees + Payton, Brady + Belichick, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers team.

    They predicted it for us because quite frankly, Russ despite his numbers and consistent performance over the years has always been LIKED but was never fully RESPECTED. Ditto for Pete. The idea was just that he can coach defense and can't build or coach a winning team. The media will only pick us if our talent is so undeniable on defense they have to pick us. This year, with Russ playing out of his mind they honestly have no choice.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • Scorpion05 wrote:At least post the article.

    But generally, I do feel we're the middle child of the NFL. The kid who does all the right things, and should get more praise and attention. But the favorite kid who doesn't get good grades and screws up from time to time gets the most genuine love.

    Yea the parents love ya, but you can just tell. Everyone will just say that kid is whining though. But it happens in families everyday and it happens in media.

    I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias, until many pundits predicted the "fall of the Seahawks" when the Rams got good. And when some media entities predicted that we'd go 4-12, or something crazy.

    What that showed to me was just a complete lack of respect for Russell & Pete. When you have the coach and the QB, no way you can say that team will have a losing record that significant. The media wouldn't say that about a Brees + Payton, Brady + Belichick, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers team.

    They predicted it for us because quite frankly, Russ despite his numbers and consistent performance over the years has always been LIKED but was never fully RESPECTED. Ditto for Pete. The idea was just that he can coach defense and can't build or coach a winning team. The media will only pick us if our talent is so undeniable on defense they have to pick us. This year, with Russ playing out of his mind they honestly have no choice.


    If you ran ESPN or one of the other major sports cable stations, would you focus more of your programming on the major market teams like NY, LA or Dallas......or would you specialize your programming to cater to smaller market demographics.

    I'm always yelling at ESPN in the morning too for telling us more nonsense about the Jets and Giants, and why does anyone care when they're both complete dumpster fires. And why I need to hear about the Cowboys 62% of the time more than any other team. Or why I need a daily Lebron update.

    But I certainly understand on a business level why they do it. So it's not some sort of nefarious "bias" because we're the Hawks, or M's, or whoever........it's because they love money.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15921
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am



  • theseahawkguy wrote:https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28074785/nfl-teams-players-most-likely-improve-decline-rest-2019-season


    I don't see what's so biased about that article. He's not saying we're awful or done or anything, just using objective metrics to show why we're "not in the clear yet". A lot of people on here have referenced our undeniably difficult closing schedule. Five out of six games against teams with winning records: the rest of the season will not be easy.

    Barnwell is legit anyway. If we go like 5-1 over the final six games, he is the kind of writer who would put something out breaking down why we were able to buck trends that other teams have struggled with. He also referred to Russ as the MVP frontrunner, so I don't think he's forgetting anything there.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5654
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • I quit watching ESPN for anything but live sports years ago. Same with NFLN. I will occasionally turn them on after a big win just to wallow in said victory a bit longer.

    As for Wilson not being respected only liked, as Scorpion05 mentioned, a huge factor in that is him being a 3rd round draft choice. Hard for these talking heads to admit they were wrong about the guy. It seems we may be far enough away from the draft that it's now OK to finally admit his greatness. Am I right Bill Polian?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22863
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • It's ok, when he's making his HOF speech, the same people will STILL deny it. So be it, they don't matter.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14094
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • One thing I will never understand is why people are so sensitive about articles or TV hot takes that aren’t 100% pro-Seahawks. Pete Prisco’s opinion doesn’t have an ounce of weight. ESPN, NFL Network, bleacher report...none of it affects a single thing on the field.

    If I posted a power ranking that I made up on my own and I had the Seahawks at #10 I’d be tar and feathered the next time I went to Temple Billiards.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2719
    Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:14 pm


  • I don't see any real bias going on there?
    Their top 2 points are valid IMO.

    1) Strength of schedule is cut and dried. A disadvantage.

    2)
    The Seahawks have outscored their opponents by just 21 points over 10 games


    Common sense that barely squeaking by in wins is not a reliable formula to count on.

    I see no reason to take this as a knock on where we stand and our chances personally.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6968
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 pm


  • endzorn wrote:One thing I will never understand is why people are so sensitive about articles or TV hot takes that aren’t 100% pro-Seahawks. Pete Prisco’s opinion doesn’t have an ounce of weight. ESPN, NFL Network, bleacher report...none of it affects a single thing on the field.

    If I posted a power ranking that I made up on my own and I had the Seahawks at #10 I’d be tar and feathered the next time I went to Temple Billiards.


    Especially when most of the usual suspects like Prisco and Skip Bayless are trolls, that's how they get clicks and viewers..........drumming up hate.

    Hell, Bayless has made an entire career out of it. He still doesn't give any love to Lebron, dude's the #1 or #2 best player in NBA history.

    That's sports programming. You sit around a table at production meetings, decide what the hot topics of the day are, then you choose straws as to who's going to take what side. Rinse and repeat, it's all contrived BS.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15921
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    endzorn wrote:One thing I will never understand is why people are so sensitive about articles or TV hot takes that aren’t 100% pro-Seahawks. Pete Prisco’s opinion doesn’t have an ounce of weight. ESPN, NFL Network, bleacher report...none of it affects a single thing on the field.

    If I posted a power ranking that I made up on my own and I had the Seahawks at #10 I’d be tar and feathered the next time I went to Temple Billiards.


    Especially when most of the usual suspects like Prisco and Skip Bayless are trolls, that's how they get clicks and viewers..........drumming up hate.

    Hell, Bayless has made an entire career out of it. He still doesn't give any love to Lebron, dude's the #1 or #2 best player in NBA history.

    That's sports programming. You sit around a table at production meetings, decide what the hot topics of the day are, then you choose straws as to who's going to take what side. Rinse and repeat, it's all contrived BS.

    Well said though I personally don't rank Bron quite as high as you do. Subjective of course. Top 5 though for me for sure. Back on subject, don't click, don't watch, don't listen to the trolls and you'll be happier.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22863
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Who watches or listens to those hate shows?...I don't even have ESPN it's become irrelevant. Anyone that promotes hate is doing one simple thing. Trying to get you pissed off and clicking or watching their stupid $h!t. Quit doing it. Life is short, don't waste it on this crap.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34995
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


  • Exactly, grab that remote and turn the station, easy to do.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14094
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Skip and Shannon, Undisputed....Hahahahaha...you watch one of these and thats all you need for a lifetime. Just $h!t...If you watch this $h!t I feel sorry for you.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34995
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm


  • Aaaand the Tin Foil hats are getting bigger and bigger.

    It’s embarrassing.
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1302
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


  • Seymour wrote:I don't see any real bias going on there?
    Their top 2 points are valid IMO.

    1) Strength of schedule is cut and dried. A disadvantage.

    2)
    The Seahawks have outscored their opponents by just 21 points over 10 games


    Common sense that barely squeaking by in wins is not a reliable formula to count on.

    I see no reason to take this as a knock on where we stand and our chances personally.


    This team is giving up over 25 points a game. 25. That's below average at best, and certainly not the mark of a team that should be getting mentions without caveats. There are six games left; five of them against teams with winning records. Three of them are division games. If we see more of the defense we saw in the last game, they could be really good. But if it looks like the games before that? Ugh.

    Wilson is playing amazing, and the offense can put up some points. But if you're looking at this team on the defensive side and who they have to play, and you can't handle someone thinking that it's going to be hard to carry an 80% win rate through the rest of season, you're probably going to get let down real bad, real soon.

    Objectively you can't really fault someone who has questions about an 8-2 team who barely squeaks out wins at the end and gives up 25 points a game. Nobody looks at that and thinks it is a higher percentage winning formula unless they are a homer.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


  • 8-2, nothing else matters.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14094
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:At least post the article.

    But generally, I do feel we're the middle child of the NFL. The kid who does all the right things, and should get more praise and attention. But the favorite kid who doesn't get good grades and screws up from time to time gets the most genuine love.

    Yea the parents love ya, but you can just tell. Everyone will just say that kid is whining though. But it happens in families everyday and it happens in media.

    I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias, until many pundits predicted the "fall of the Seahawks" when the Rams got good. And when some media entities predicted that we'd go 4-12, or something crazy.

    What that showed to me was just a complete lack of respect for Russell & Pete. When you have the coach and the QB, no way you can say that team will have a losing record that significant. The media wouldn't say that about a Brees + Payton, Brady + Belichick, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers team.

    They predicted it for us because quite frankly, Russ despite his numbers and consistent performance over the years has always been LIKED but was never fully RESPECTED. Ditto for Pete. The idea was just that he can coach defense and can't build or coach a winning team. The media will only pick us if our talent is so undeniable on defense they have to pick us. This year, with Russ playing out of his mind they honestly have no choice.


    If you ran ESPN or one of the other major sports cable stations, would you focus more of your programming on the major market teams like NY, LA or Dallas......or would you specialize your programming to cater to smaller market demographics.

    I'm always yelling at ESPN in the morning too for telling us more nonsense about the Jets and Giants, and why does anyone care when they're both complete dumpster fires. And why I need to hear about the Cowboys 62% of the time more than any other team. Or why I need a daily Lebron update.

    But I certainly understand on a business level why they do it. So it's not some sort of nefarious "bias" because we're the Hawks, or M's, or whoever........it's because they love money.


    If I ran ESPN I'd make sure Russ gets coverage, given his playing style.

    I would buy your argument if we weren't also scheduled for so many primetime games year in and year out. Which actually just goes to show that the NFL realizes that Russ is must see TV.

    We've also had the playoff success, the back to back Super bowl visits, the playoff appearances, and the QB who isn't boring to watch. The argument doesn't add up.

    Andrew Luck got more attention, he's from Indianapolis. Cam Newton is from Carolina, not exactly high market. Lamar Jackson is in Baltimore, Mahomes is in Kansas City. New Orleans..I can go on and on, but it gets harder and harder to really justify this.

    But, typical human instinct is to jump to "hey, it makes sense" rather than "hey, there's clear and noticeable bias here." The ratings argument doesn't explain the bias. The Seahawks get scheduled for primetime because of ratings. The Browns, in freakin Cleveland got coverage because of ratings. It does not explain the lack of respect or attention. It simply doesn't. I think the lack of respect for Russ over the years combined with the South Alaska bias goes hand in hand.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:At least post the article.

    But generally, I do feel we're the middle child of the NFL. The kid who does all the right things, and should get more praise and attention. But the favorite kid who doesn't get good grades and screws up from time to time gets the most genuine love.

    Yea the parents love ya, but you can just tell. Everyone will just say that kid is whining though. But it happens in families everyday and it happens in media.

    I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias, until many pundits predicted the "fall of the Seahawks" when the Rams got good. And when some media entities predicted that we'd go 4-12, or something crazy.

    What that showed to me was just a complete lack of respect for Russell & Pete. When you have the coach and the QB, no way you can say that team will have a losing record that significant. The media wouldn't say that about a Brees + Payton, Brady + Belichick, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers team.

    They predicted it for us because quite frankly, Russ despite his numbers and consistent performance over the years has always been LIKED but was never fully RESPECTED. Ditto for Pete. The idea was just that he can coach defense and can't build or coach a winning team. The media will only pick us if our talent is so undeniable on defense they have to pick us. This year, with Russ playing out of his mind they honestly have no choice.


    If you ran ESPN or one of the other major sports cable stations, would you focus more of your programming on the major market teams like NY, LA or Dallas......or would you specialize your programming to cater to smaller market demographics.

    I'm always yelling at ESPN in the morning too for telling us more nonsense about the Jets and Giants, and why does anyone care when they're both complete dumpster fires. And why I need to hear about the Cowboys 62% of the time more than any other team. Or why I need a daily Lebron update.

    But I certainly understand on a business level why they do it. So it's not some sort of nefarious "bias" because we're the Hawks, or M's, or whoever........it's because they love money.


    If I ran ESPN I'd make sure Russ gets coverage, given his playing style.

    I would buy your argument if we weren't also scheduled for so many primetime games year in and year out. Which actually just goes to show that the NFL realizes that Russ is must see TV.

    We've also had the playoff success, the back to back Super bowl visits, the playoff appearances, and the QB who isn't boring to watch. The argument doesn't add up.

    Andrew Luck got more attention, he's from Indianapolis. Cam Newton is from Carolina, not exactly high market. Lamar Jackson is in Baltimore, Mahomes is in Kansas City. New Orleans..I can go on and on, but it gets harder and harder to really justify this.

    But, typical human instinct is to jump to "hey, it makes sense" rather than "hey, there's clear and noticeable bias here." The ratings argument doesn't explain the bias. The Seahawks get scheduled for primetime because of ratings. The Browns, in freakin Cleveland got coverage because of ratings. It does not explain the lack of respect or attention. It simply doesn't. I think the lack of respect for Russ over the years combined with the South Alaska bias goes hand in hand.


    If the Hawks are continually in prime time and Russell's leading the MVP race right now, then I'm confused as to what you're complaining about.

    I could show you a dozen current sports show segments where the Hawks and Russell are one of the their segments, especially over the past month when the Russell MVP talk have really heated up.........and Cowherd, who is one of the top rated national shows has been beating the Russell bandwagon for years.

    So any perceived "bias" is you and others not being objective enough to see what I and others are talking about. I don't watch all the sports shows, but I watch enough to see we've been getting plenty of attention (good and bad) from just about all the sports shows and online reporters and personalities.

    There are 32 football markets, so if you're expecting more than the 10-15% we see about the Hawks on a monthly basis, not sure what you want.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15921
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • Scorpion05 wrote:I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias


    You should revisit that thought.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5654
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • 8-2. Nothing can be said or done to change that FACT.

    Go Hawks
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14094
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I regret to inform that basic math does not have a bias against the Seahawks. It is incapable of love or hate.

    Apparently from that article ESPN also has an anti-Christian McCaffrey bias and an anti-49ers bias. Who knew?

    The latter is particularly surprising to me given that I'm a 49ers fan and for weeks on this board I've been saying the same thing about the 9ers that this anti-49ers article does: the strength of their team so far (their defense) is likely to decline in the second half of the season.

    Apparently basic math and even me are biased against the team I root for. :lol: :roll:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5334
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


  • The more people don’t like us the better. Keep it coming. Allow that chip on the shoulder to grow.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 421
    Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 pm
    Location: Cedar Rapids, IA


  • Popeyejones wrote:I regret to inform that basic math does not have a bias against the Seahawks. It is incapable of love or hate.

    Apparently from that article ESPN also has an anti-Christian McCaffrey bias and an anti-49ers bias. Who knew?

    The latter is particularly surprising to me given that I'm a 49ers fan and for weeks on this board I've been saying the same thing about the 9ers that this anti-49ers article does: the strength of their team so far (their defense) is likely to decline in the second half of the season.

    Apparently basic math and even me are biased against the team I root for. :lol: :roll:

    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22863
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • The two biggest Russell haters Marcellus Wylie and Skip Bayless.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 881
    Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm


  • People keep complaining about the point differential. The 9ers have a great point differential, we don’t. Who did better in OT? We play the best and worse to OT. I’m not too worried about the close games. I still don’t believe we look like the best team in NFL, but the best looking teams don’t always win!
    evergreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 634
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm


  • Seymour wrote:1) Strength of schedule is cut and dried. A disadvantage.

    I agree. However, I find it interesting it's not mentioned with regard to the Patriots or 49ers.

    The Patriots are feasting in a division of almost legendary failure. The rest of their schedule barring the Bills (6-3) and the Ravens (7-2 and the Pats' only loss) have been pansies:

    Steelers (5-4)
    Dolphins (2-7)
    Jets (2-7)
    Bills (6-3)
    Redskins (1-8)
    Giants (2-8)
    Browns (3-6)

    That's not exactly a murderer's row of teams, but who's talking about it? They played the Jets twice, who have the league's 4th-worst points-scored. The other 3? Redskins, Dolphins, and Bengals, and the Pats get to play the Bengals, too.

    Not sure I've ever seen a softer schedule. But hey, let's put them way up in our power rankings.

    The 49ers - they talk about the pass rush and how it may go one way or the other as if it's random, but no mention that their second half is even more difficult than our second-half.

    They won some games against (and tell me if these names sound familiar):
    Bengals
    Steelers
    Browns
    Redskins

    But there's no mention of the upcoming games against:
    Ravens
    Packers
    Saints
    Rams
    Seahawks

    With only the Cards and Falcons having losing records, and they struggled against the Cards.

    I'm not promoting an active bias, but those are some pretty glaring omissions.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 2436
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:At least post the article.

    But generally, I do feel we're the middle child of the NFL. The kid who does all the right things, and should get more praise and attention. But the favorite kid who doesn't get good grades and screws up from time to time gets the most genuine love.

    Yea the parents love ya, but you can just tell. Everyone will just say that kid is whining though. But it happens in families everyday and it happens in media.

    I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias, until many pundits predicted the "fall of the Seahawks" when the Rams got good. And when some media entities predicted that we'd go 4-12, or something crazy.

    What that showed to me was just a complete lack of respect for Russell & Pete. When you have the coach and the QB, no way you can say that team will have a losing record that significant. The media wouldn't say that about a Brees + Payton, Brady + Belichick, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers team.

    They predicted it for us because quite frankly, Russ despite his numbers and consistent performance over the years has always been LIKED but was never fully RESPECTED. Ditto for Pete. The idea was just that he can coach defense and can't build or coach a winning team. The media will only pick us if our talent is so undeniable on defense they have to pick us. This year, with Russ playing out of his mind they honestly have no choice.


    If you ran ESPN or one of the other major sports cable stations, would you focus more of your programming on the major market teams like NY, LA or Dallas......or would you specialize your programming to cater to smaller market demographics.

    I'm always yelling at ESPN in the morning too for telling us more nonsense about the Jets and Giants, and why does anyone care when they're both complete dumpster fires. And why I need to hear about the Cowboys 62% of the time more than any other team. Or why I need a daily Lebron update.

    But I certainly understand on a business level why they do it. So it's not some sort of nefarious "bias" because we're the Hawks, or M's, or whoever........it's because they love money.


    If I ran ESPN I'd make sure Russ gets coverage, given his playing style.

    I would buy your argument if we weren't also scheduled for so many primetime games year in and year out. Which actually just goes to show that the NFL realizes that Russ is must see TV.

    We've also had the playoff success, the back to back Super bowl visits, the playoff appearances, and the QB who isn't boring to watch. The argument doesn't add up.

    Andrew Luck got more attention, he's from Indianapolis. Cam Newton is from Carolina, not exactly high market. Lamar Jackson is in Baltimore, Mahomes is in Kansas City. New Orleans..I can go on and on, but it gets harder and harder to really justify this.

    But, typical human instinct is to jump to "hey, it makes sense" rather than "hey, there's clear and noticeable bias here." The ratings argument doesn't explain the bias. The Seahawks get scheduled for primetime because of ratings. The Browns, in freakin Cleveland got coverage because of ratings. It does not explain the lack of respect or attention. It simply doesn't. I think the lack of respect for Russ over the years combined with the South Alaska bias goes hand in hand.


    If the Hawks are continually in prime time and Russell's leading the MVP race right now, then I'm confused as to what you're complaining about.

    I could show you a dozen current sports show segments where the Hawks and Russell are one of the their segments, especially over the past month when the Russell MVP talk have really heated up.........and Cowherd, who is one of the top rated national shows has been beating the Russell bandwagon for years.

    So any perceived "bias" is you and others not being objective enough to see what I and others are talking about. I don't watch all the sports shows, but I watch enough to see we've been getting plenty of attention (good and bad) from just about all the sports shows and online reporters and personalities.

    There are 32 football markets, so if you're expecting more than the 10-15% we see about the Hawks on a monthly basis, not sure what you want.



    Let’s be clear here. I’m not “whining,” I’m providing a counter argument. Just because you believe there isn’t a bias, doesn’t mean that counter points are whining. That would be like me saying you’re “blind” not to see the bias. I won’t go that far.

    My argument was never that Russell got zero coverage. My argument was never that the media “hated” Russell, or the Seahawks. My argument was that the respect and attention given by the media DOES NOT match with Russell and Pete’s track record.

    I watch all the sports shows. On my way home from work, I watch YouTube videos of all the shows. Even Colin Cowherd has argued that Russ doesn’t get enough respect. You yourself just literally asked me if I ran ESPN would I cover the Seahawks as much. You are literally acknowledging that the Seahawks would logically get less attention than bigger markets. I DIRECTLY pointed out several examples of other teams getting more attention.

    On any given day, I can find more videos or articles from the national media discussing Mahomes, Lamar, or Rodgers more than the Seahawks. If you doubt that, research it yourself. Scroll through ESPN or Fox Sports 1’s videos, or rewatch on demand, and keep track of how much coverage certain teams or topics get. When Mahomes was playing well, I would see up to 3 segments on him and the Chiefs alone. I’ve been watching in the past week or more, and I see a LOT more coverage of Lamar than Russ.

    This is about nuance. If your argument is simply “Shannon and Skip are trolls!” (As if they don’t have a national platform), and if we’re really going to pretend as if we haven’t been listening to the media focus on Cam, Luck, more than Wilson. Or the Packers, Chiefs, Rams, Colts, etc. more than the Seahawks, then we’re just not going to agree. Human and media bias isn’t black and white but many here are discussing it as if it is.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • Rat wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:I used to just think maybe I was paranoid about the bias


    You should revisit that thought.


    No thanks, I’m going to go with the whole “5’10 QB and great coach has been expected to have losing seasons by the media despite their consistent success. And that also 5’10 QB and great coach was mocked and dismissed for years until they started winning and won the Super Bowl. And even after all of their success and record in November and December 5’10 QB and great coach still somehow would have been doubted to make the playoffs.”


    On this very forum, at least a quarter of the fan base spent the last 3 years ignoring every obstacle Russell had to overcome (compared to other QBs) to nitpick at everything he did wrong. And some even wanted Pete fired when he has NEVER had a losing season. I don’t need to revisit that thought because much of the dismissiveness is black and white here. Russ didn’t need to have an MVP season to be talked about because he’s performed well every year and lesser Qbs have gotten more coverage.

    This thread should be a case study to how unwilling people are willing to face human/media bias in general Lol. I don’t want the media to be biased, it doesn’t make me feel good inside. I don’t enjoy being frustrated or playing some arbitrary victim card. Every argument I make, whether you or others agree or not is based on my genuine opinion, GIVEN the amount of sports coverage I watch EVERYDAY. I catch up on all the sports talk shows (The Herd, Undisputed, First Take, Get Up, Inside the NFL, Total Access) every day driving on my 30 minute commute to work, my commute home, my lunch break, and early in the morning on my weekends off before I head to the mountains.

    My perspective, even if it can be debated, is not being pulled out of thin air. There is less attention given to Seattle at 8-2, there is less attention given to Russ even with the moderate coverage he gets now. And far too many media pundits have focused on the mistakes our opponents have made in our wins (like the Rams or Niners missing a field goal), rather than focus on the mistakes we made to even allow the games to be close (and have improved on).
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • bmorepunk wrote:
    Seymour wrote:I don't see any real bias going on there?
    Their top 2 points are valid IMO.

    1) Strength of schedule is cut and dried. A disadvantage.

    2)
    The Seahawks have outscored their opponents by just 21 points over 10 games


    Common sense that barely squeaking by in wins is not a reliable formula to count on.

    I see no reason to take this as a knock on where we stand and our chances personally.


    This team is giving up over 25 points a game. 25. That's below average at best, and certainly not the mark of a team that should be getting mentions without caveats. There are six games left; five of them against teams with winning records. Three of them are division games. If we see more of the defense we saw in the last game, they could be really good. But if it looks like the games before that? Ugh.

    Wilson is playing amazing, and the offense can put up some points. But if you're looking at this team on the defensive side and who they have to play, and you can't handle someone thinking that it's going to be hard to carry an 80% win rate through the rest of season, you're probably going to get let down real bad, real soon.

    Objectively you can't really fault someone who has questions about an 8-2 team who barely squeaks out wins at the end and gives up 25 points a game. Nobody looks at that and thinks it is a higher percentage winning formula unless they are a homer.



    Questions about an 8-2 team??

    Maybe if this was some other long season sport. There are only a few games left.

    At this point in the season, you are who you are. Seattle could conceivebly coast into a playoff spot at this point.

    No need to wring our hands over whether or not we are as "good" as our record says we are or obsessing over whether or not will continue. Its all about winning when it counts now. Playoffs here we come.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2492
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


  • Feeling persecuted as a fan base is perversely fun for certain people. Like picking a scab. So everyone expects to get it from the media, and thus they see it happening when it really isn't.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 17140
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am


  • Good points being made all around, imo. However, I think this discussion actually might be over the how we define the terms "hate" and "bias."

    The way I read some of these comments makes me think some fans equate a lack of interest or ignorance regarding the Hawks by the national media with an actual antipathy toward the team. This is the "tinfoil hat" viewpoint that many (including myself) find a bit extreme.

    My take is national networks absolutely target their coverage to the largest markets (NY, N.E., LA, Dallas, etc.). This is just Business 101: cater to the lowest common denominator — in this case, the greatest number of viewers/listeners.

    As well, as someone who works in the communication field, I can tell you controversy will garner way more reactions, and therefore greater interest, even if the story is not nearly as universally impactful. New topics (rookie QBs, ascending teams) and those that can compel people to love or hate a team/person (the Browns) will thus rise to the top of the coverage. Whereas time-honored and "boring" topics (such as a robot QB and a coach who uses an archaic — yet still fairly successful — formula to build a team and play games) are relegated to the bottom of the broadcasts.

    Our team is time-honored, steady, and drab. Who wants to talk about that? Not the national media. To me, it's not because they "hate" the Hawks, it's because viewers/listeners are more attracted to the next shiny thing, or something they can become emotionally involved in. Neither of these descriptions fit our Seahawks, and that's just fine with me.
    Knuck Chox
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 42
    Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 pm
    Location: Walla Walla, Washington


  • I don’t mind the media, other fanbases, the NFL viewing us as the “black hats”, heels, or bad guys.
    That’s one thing I really loved about the LOB. Makes it even sweeter when you win.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26520
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? McCaffery is having an unbelievable season and barely ever gets mentioned.s.


    NOT correct. They've been talking all season about McCaffery's "MVP Season."

    EVERY fan base has fans that experience strong emotions about their team. And make comments on a forum for their team that others disagree with. But rather than passing judgement on those fans or worrying about what other fans might think (they mostly don't care), offer an opposing opinion with something to back it up.

    I know that most of the time you guys usually have great responses to these types of threads. Those are what i look forward to, but it seems more and more lately I'm disappointed. Although it's probably not your intention, It comes off as people trying to be holier than thou.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 19249
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Prisco is an idiot. Always has been. Probably always will be.

    I love being hated by him.

    The Seahawks don’t need everyone’s love.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1120
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:12 pm


  • I don’t mind the media, other fanbases, the NFL viewing us as the “black hats”, heels, or bad guys.
    That’s one thing I really loved about the LOB. Makes it even sweeter when you win.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26520
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Why would we care about hate from media when we seem to get it from our own fans? :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14094
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Win the whole dang thing then they have no choice but to respect you.
    See XLVIII.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26520
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit




  • Forget the media, even society is biased towards this team. It goes hand in hand. The lack of respect for Russ, Pete, and the Seahawks is why Pete wasn't considered for coach of the year last year, or any year he's coached. It's why John Schneider has never won GM of the year (a joke). It's why the media/public wishes to crown anyone but Russ the MVP (unless he's running away with it, it can't be close). And it's why the Seahawks aren't respected unless they are light years ahead of most other teams in the conference (like 2013, 2014).

    But yea, we're just imagining the bias folks. Both from the national fan base, and the media. There's no evidence of this at all.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • SF fans complain too that national media largely ignores them. To an extent, I think that's true of most fan bases.

    The national media's formula seems to go like this:

    2) Anoint the latest "buzz" team. It's now Lamar and the Ravens, but at the beginning of the season, it was the Giants and the "Danny Dimes!" yapping. When that team loses more than two in a streak, move on to whatever the next anointee is.

    1) Devote at least 40 percent of the broadcast to Dallas. It matters less how Dallas is actually doing. Everyone is presumed to be interested in whether Dak will get paid, whether their coach is secure and what their potential playoff position is. Less time is spent on coverage devoted to Green Bay, Patriots and Saints combined than talking about Dallas.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1158
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


  • theseahawkguy wrote:https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28074785/nfl-teams-players-most-likely-improve-decline-rest-2019-season


    Hiarious- looks for everything wrong with the Hawks, but they find everything right about the Browns. Comical-
    seahawksny
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1532
    Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:09 pm


Next


It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online