Greatest Seahawk One-Hit Wonders

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Greatest Seahawk One-Hit Wonders
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:19 am
  • https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/280 ... h-more#SEA

Fun article from ESPN naming every franchise's top one-hit wonder. I suppose ours was fairly obvious.

WR Chris Matthews, Feb. 1, 2015

What happened: Matthews came out of nowhere to catch four passes for 109 yards and a touchdown in Super Bowl XLIX against the Patriots in a performance that might have earned him MVP honors had the Seahawks won. Matthews had recovered a crucial onside kick in the NFC title game two weeks earlier, but, before the Super Bowl, the CFL import had yet to catch an NFL pass outside of the preseason.

The aftermath: Matthews made the team the next season, in 2015, but was buried on the depth chart and caught only four passes in nine games before the Seahawks released him. Then-offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell spoke that summer about needing more consistency from Matthews, who finished his career with 16 catches for 176 yards and a touchdown in 22 regular-season games. -- Brady Henderson

Who else should be in the discussion? Mike Williams and Derrick Mayes come to mind for me.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Re: Greatest Seahawk One-Hit Wonders
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:17 am
  • Thomas Rawls comes to mind.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:20 am
  • 12AngryHawks wrote:Thomas Rawls comes to mind.

Rawls lasted a couple of season, though.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:27 am
  • Pete Hunter!!!
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:12 pm
  • The 4 games of Jordan Hill 2014. He was the most disruptive force on the Dline. 5 sacks in 4 games all from playing the DT constant pressure up the middle. Got hurt was never the same, if he had kept playing at that rate Super Bowl 49 would have played out completely different.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 pm
  • He also got the ball on the onside kick against Greenbay that got us to the Superbowl.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm
  • D.J Hackett back in the 2000's. Seemed to have great chemistry with Hass but could never stay healthy.
    FloridaSeahawk18
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:24 pm
  • I really thought Rawls was going to be the next great running back. Dude was amazing when healthy.

sutz wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote:Thomas Rawls comes to mind.

Rawls lasted a couple of season, though.
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:25 pm
  • Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:04 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:Pete Hunter!!!

Great call! I was at that game.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 pm
  • Percy Harvin, 2013
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm
  • Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:57 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Percy Harvin, 2013

Beat me to it. He had that memorable kick return TD to end any chance of the Broncos coming back in XLVIII. And that was his glorious One Hit Wonder moment.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:21 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.

From our perspective, you could call Kerney a one-hit wonder. But he had a successful career before joining the Seahawks.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:44 pm
  • Mike Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:06 pm
  • A one-season wonder was Rick Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

"Mirer was selected with the second overall pick in the 1993 draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He signed a five-year, $15 million contract. In his rookie year under head coach Tom Flores, he set all-time NFL rookie records for attempts, completions and yards (excluding rookies such as Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, or Dieter Brock, who all had several years of professional experience prior to the NFL), and became only the 3rd rookie quarterback since 1970 to start all of his team's games. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards. He was also runner up in the offensive rookie of the year voting, finishing behind his former backfield teammate from Notre Dame, Jerome Bettis. Those rookie records were eventually broken by Peyton Manning."
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 pm
  • Erebus wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.

From our perspective, you could call Kerney a one-hit wonder. But he had a successful career before joining the Seahawks.

Except when he faced Walter Jones. He literally quit in the 2nd quarter of a game between the Hawks and Falcons(?) because he was being so thoroughly dominated by Walt. So what did Ruskell do? Sign him as a FA.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Percy Harvin, 2013

Literally. As he only played when he wanted to
    One game against his old team not coincidentally.
    Comes back for playoffs.
    Kick return and two jet sweeps in super

Then he was finished
    seahawksny
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:22 am
  • Erebus wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.

Same for Joe Jurevicius. He was my first thought when I saw the thread title, but I don't think he fits the criteria here.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 am
  • BlueThunder wrote:A one-season wonder was Rich Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

"Mirer was selected with the second overall pick in the 1993 draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He signed a five-year, $15 million contract. In his rookie year under head coach Tom Flores, he set all-time NFL rookie records for attempts, completions and yards (excluding rookies such as Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, or Dieter Brock, who all had several years of professional experience prior to the NFL), and became only the 3rd rookie quarterback since 1970 to start all of his team's games. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards. He was also runner up in the offensive rookie of the year voting, finishing behind his former backfield teammate from Notre Dame, Jerome Bettis. Those rookie records were eventually broken by Peyton Manning."

A few years ago, I saw a segment with Steve Raible regarding Mirer. Apparently the guy wasn't all that sharp. The Hawks had to dumb down the offense in his rookie season, which helps explain his great start, but as they tried to get him to progress into more difficult schemes, he could never completely grasp the offense, read defenses, and so on. It was one of the biggest fleecings in club history when we traded him to Chicago for 2 high draft choices.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:33 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:A one-season wonder was Rich Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

A few years ago, I saw a segment with Steve Raible regarding Mirer. Apparently the guy wasn't all that sharp. The Hawks had to dumb down the offense in his rookie season, which helps explain his great start, but as they tried to get him to progress into more difficult schemes, he could never completely grasp the offense, read defenses, and so on. It was one of the biggest fleecings in club history when we traded him to Chicago for 2 high draft choices.

One of which netted us Walter Jones I believe.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm
  • Koren Robinson
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:A one-season wonder was Rich Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

One of which netted us Walter Jones I believe.

We only netted 1 choice, Chicago's 1st. We dealt Mirer and our 4th for it. We then dealt it to the Falcons along with our 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th from Baltimore for Jeff Blackshear to move up to #3 and grab Shawn Springs. We also picked up Atlanta's 3rd in the deal, which we flipped along with our own 1st to Tampa to move up to #6 and grab Walter Jones.

In other words, we dealt Rick Mirer, Jeff Blackshear, and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for Shawn Springs and Walter Jones.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:42 pm
  • Jerramy Stevens.

He really broke out late 2004, and had a really good 2005. First player in Seahawks history to catch a touchdown.

But then, the booze. And the Bucs. And Hope Solo
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:53 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:In other words, we dealt Rick Mirer, Jeff Blackshear, and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for Shawn Springs and Walter Jones.

TOTALLY worth it!! (Jeff Who??) LOL
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:56 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:In other words, we dealt Rick Mirer, Jeff Blackshear, and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for Shawn Springs and Walter Jones.

TOTALLY worth it!! (Jeff Who??) LOL

We could have traded our entire 1996 team for the opportunity to draft Walter Jones and it would have been worth it.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:47 am
  • Walter Thurmond sure looked like a pro bowler for a stretch of games
    quadsas
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 am
  • For the old timers here, Theotis Brown and Derrick Fenner. Both RBs came on strong early and then faded quickly.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 am
  • Michael Boulware.

I also want to mention Jeremy Lane even though He definitely doesn't apply to this topic because I feel very sorry for him because of how badly Seahawks fans treated him because of his poor play after his horrific injury. Before SB49 and during SB49 I thought he was playing very well and the defense was stifling TB12. Lane makes a huge play in the game and picks Brady off while tearing his ACL and injuring his arm on the return. Immediately after that play happened is when Brady started to get hot and abuse the slot with Lane out. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT IF HE WASN'T HURT THE SEAHAWKS WOULD HAVE BLOWN OUT THE PATRIOTS. It pissed me off how Seahawks fans treated him after this.

Rawls is another great pick. He looked truly special and i'm shocked he didn't turn in to a star cause he looked great.
    calinator
    NET Rookie

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:27 pm
  • Think back to 1993 and our week 17 home game vs. Pittsburgh on the day after Christmas. We were coming off a four game losing streak and star RB Chris Warren was out so hopes were low.

Enter backup RB Jon Vaughn, who had carried the ball just six times previously as a Seahawk. He ran for over 5 yards a carry and 131 total yards en route to a Seahawks upset. However, that was his last shot as a starter and he never carried for more than 8 times again in the NFL and was out of the league the following year.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:51 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Erebus wrote:

Except when he faced Walter Jones. He literally quit in the 2nd quarter of a game between the Hawks and Falcons(?) because he was being so thoroughly dominated by Walt. So what did Ruskell do? Sign him as a FA.

I will go to my deathbed convinced that after the beat-down he received playing against us, he signed with the Seahawks so no one would ever see Walter Jones own him on national television again.
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:11 pm
  • The career of Derrick Mayes.

1996-98 (Packers) 3-year combined total: 54 catches 730 yards 5 touchdowns

1999 (Seahawks): 62 catches 829 yards 10 TDs

2000 (Seahawks): 29 catches 264 yards 3 TDs

Never played another down in the NFL after that.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:24 pm
  • How about the BOZ?Started off pretty good in first year
    but hurt his shoulder and was never close to the same
    again.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:14 pm
  • ChiefHawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Erebus wrote:

I will go to my deathbed convinced that after the beat-down he received playing against us, he signed with the Seahawks so no one would ever see Walter Jones own him on national television again.

Never thought of that but it makes sense, a lot of sense.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:40 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:How about the BOZ?Started off pretty good in first year
    but hurt his shoulder and was never close to the same
    again.

Boz didn't "hurt" his shoulder, at least not while playing with us. It was an injury that he sustained while in college and used steroids to treat it so he could continue working out. Bosworth claimed that the steroids were doctor prescribed, but he never identified the physician. He subsequently re-injured it while playing for us. Many suspect that it was his overuse of steroids that led to his chronic condition.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:52 am
  • TJ Houshyourmama
    AKSeahawks
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:14 pm
  • AKSeahawks wrote:TJ Houshyourmama

What? I don't think you get the question.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:19 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Jerramy Stevens.

He really broke out late 2004, and had a really good 2005. First player in Seahawks history to catch a touchdown.

Not true.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm
  • Daryll Tapp had a 4 sack game. One of which came with a massive club/cast on his hand.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:24 pm
  • In my original post I called Rick Mirer "Rich Mirer", which I have corrected, but still shows up when I was quoted. Can't believe none of you called me out on it! :lol: There may have been of beer or 3 involved there...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information