How much will Clowney's performance at SF cost us next year?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Great play commands great pay. Next year may be expensive if we decide to keep him.
    Last edited by MO Hawk on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
    MO Hawk
    NET Rookie

• The pass rush is already terrible and Clowney is the only shining star. He needs to be resigned so is to have some consistency.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

• It was going to be a lot regardless, but if he is able to continue being an utter game wrecker like he was last night for the rest of the season and into the playoffs, then probably top 1-2 DE money.

But they had to know that already when they traded for him.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• means nothing yet for next year.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Don’t care, pay the man. That’s not a phrase I use often either.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• He will cost the moon and a couple of stars. And he will be worth it.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

• Looking at the situation optimistically, perhaps he needed some time to acclimate. I believe he now realizes that Russ is a once in a generation talent and will give his full effort from here on out. The NFL is a harsh business and guys (rightfully so) are looking to get paid. But occasionally some magic happens...we'll see.

His time in this league is limited too am I'm pretty sure he wants to go out a winner.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• The same amount he would have cost before.
    Only difference now is that fans realise he's worth it.

That said, there was still a sizeable proportion of the fanbase that thought we were overpaying Wilson so I guess you can't please everybody
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• He’ll cost what he’s worth to the team, but more than Frank Clark, likely top 3 money, While I liked Clark as a Hawk, Clowney is a better overall DE and a core defensive player. Keeping him will be a priority, working on that situation has to be something the team is likely already working on. If not JC will return to the team a 3rd round draft pick in the 2021 draft. It’s easy to see that the Hawks defensive production in SF was sparked by markedly improved play from Clowney’s supporting cast on the DLine. That improvement allowed Clowney to go off. I sure want to see lots more from them all.

Thankfully Washington State has no state income tax which will help, best part is he’s cheap this season. His acquisition was a historically brilliant trade by Schneider. Reed needs to step up his game consistently, and while this last game was excellent, paying him what he might want is less certain to me, but keeping him is also critical.

All in all the team is in good shape cap wise and should be able to retain the players they want to keep.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• We have a half a season left. Lets see if he can continue to play at that level. He's been good, but the 49ers game is the first time he was great this year.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• He was great without a doubt, but he has been the only truly consistently good player on the DLine this season. There are a few others who have played well at times. JC has earned a new big contract already and is a foundational piece the team can build upon.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• He put up with the stuff in Houston and seems to really enjoy the fresh air here, he won't give away his services however but I don't think he holds us for Ransom either.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• If he keeps it up, I don't really care.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• The Seahawks FO will have to evaluate his health and also estimate what his passion for the game will be like after he gets an enormous payday. If the answer is satisfactory to both then I don't think this will actually be very hard. He'll be worth a huge contract and we'll give him one.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• $21m APY
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• You'll know by the end of the season what his play is worth. IMHO, I think he looked good against the 9ers because Staley and Mcglinchy were rusty AF. I could be wrong, but time will tell.
    Washington49er
    NET Starter

• Washington49er wrote:You'll know by the end of the season what his play is worth. IMHO, I think he looked good against the 9ers because Staley and Mcglinchy were rusty AF. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

For Christ sakes if they were so rusty why didn't the previous weeks guys come in, that would be on your coach now wouldn't it.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:You'll know by the end of the season what his play is worth. IMHO, I think he looked good against the 9ers because Staley and Mcglinchy were rusty AF. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

For Christ sakes if they were so rusty why didn't the previous weeks guys come in, that would be on your coach now wouldn't it.

Staley and Mcglinchy looked really rusty, it happens when you been out 6 and 4 weeks. Staley will out against AZ, I'll bet you right now if Mcglinchy looks like crap, Brunskill will be in or atleast rotated.

There you go getting all chest thumpy again, you need to chill dude. Its just an observation, like I said you'll know soon enough.
    Washington49er
    NET Starter

• Side note question....is there anyone in FA that we could sign to pair with him on the other side? Or do you see the Hawks using their picks to actually trade UP the first round to grab a DE? If so who you thinking?
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:He’ll cost what he’s worth to the team, but more than Frank Clark, likely top 3 money...

I was a little surprised by this. I love love love Clowney and hope we pay him, but I typically think of the market price for a DE as being primarily driven by sacks - and he's not a 12+ sack guy.

I can't think of any DEs who recently got huge contracts without the sack numbers. Am I forgetting someone? Interested in your thoughts...
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran

• Washington49er wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Washington49er wrote:You'll know by the end of the season what his play is worth. IMHO, I think he looked good against the 9ers because Staley and Mcglinchy were rusty AF. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

Staley and Mcglinchy looked really rusty, it happens when you been out 6 and 4 weeks. Staley will out against AZ, I'll bet you right now if Mcglinchy looks like crap, Brunskill will be in or atleast rotated.

There you go getting all chest thumpy again, you need to chill dude. Its just an observation, like I said you'll know soon enough.

The point is Mr. 6th Ring Franchise all world can do nothing wrong EVER QB was getting sacked, hit and scared and is now seeing ghosts because of your two RUSTY tackles, rotating in the other guys to save your Franchise 27 million dollar guy would not be an extreme thought.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• He has earned a new contract, and he is worth it, period.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Last edited by MontanaHawk05 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: If there was any Seahawks content here, I missed it.
    Washington49er
    NET Starter

• Excuses are all the Niners have. How does the crow taste there Niner fans?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Am I the only one a little nervous that it took until this huge nationally televised game to play with this kind of energy? Kind of wreaks like a guy who sees a pot of gold down the end of the tunnel that is this season. Hopefully he was just energized by the switch to primarily playing LEO, and it's a better fit than 5-tech, and he just balls going forward. But he used a bunch of moves that he hasn't used all season. It's a little odd. I hope he's dominant and we pay him and all that. But he's still on pace for like 5 sacks this season. And I know sacks aren't everything. But I'm not on the "pay the guy at all costs" train yet. Gotta do it for more than one week.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Excuses are all the Niners have. How does the crow taste there Niner fans?

No one is making excuses, I'm merely pointing out all the pieces of the equation. We lost by 3 points after almost 5 qtrs. of football, could've gone either way. Theres a lot more football to go. We are this far into the season and 9ers are sitting at 8-1, 1st place in NFC. Wouldn't know about eating crow because you're not serving it.

Prior to the S.F. game many of you were questioning the acquisition of Clowney based on his play, overall team sacks, etc.

So now the S.F. comes along, the 49ers have two offensive tackles returning after one out 6 weeks the other 4 weeks. Do you think they might be a little rusty?

Then you add in Kittle out, then Sanders goes down, Richburg out temporarily. Other than Sanders and Kittle no one on the 49ers seems to be able to catch a ball consistently, been happening all season long. Its why they brought in Sanders in the first place.

Unless you just started watching football yesterday you know that the longer it takes for a play to develop the longer the QB has to hold the ball, giving the pass rush more time to get home. Its not rocket science.

Bad OLines can make bad Dlines look stellar.

You know the old saying, it will all come out in the wash. You'll know after 2-3 more games whether Clowneys game has really improved or was it just the circumstances.
    Washington49er
    NET Starter

• Go ahead and ignore the BLATANT facemask that wasn't called that handed you guys a "touchdown" to keep the game close. It was an 11 point lead with the Hawks clearly in control.
    Ignore the fact that the Hawks finished without Lockett. Ignore the fact that they called an "in the grasp" on Russ that made it 3rd and 16. And who did Russ convert the 3rd down with? A 3rd string WR, that's who. Not Lockett or DK.
    One QB is clutch, the other is just plain hype.
    Absolutely the game could have went either way. Two best teams in the NFC right now.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Go ahead and ignore the BLATANT facemask that wasn't called that handed you guys a "touchdown" to keep the game close. It was an 11 point lead with the Hawks clearly in control.
    Ignore the fact that the Hawks finished without Lockett. Ignore the fact that they called an "in the grasp" on Russ that made it 3rd and 16. And who did Russ convert the 3rd down with? A 3rd string WR, that's who. Not Lockett or DK.
    Absolutely the game could have went either way. Two best teams in the NFC right now.

Dude c'mon really? You're gonna go with the bad calls, there were bad calls all game long in both sides.

Like talking to a wall.

Just answer this. Were you Hawk fans questioning your D line and Clowneys play up to the S.F. game?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158569
    Washington49er
    NET Starter

• Clowney was a one man wrecking ball. He looked like the best player on the field on Monday and it wasn't really close.

That's kind of the book on Clowney though: he's a wildly talented player with an inconsistent motor and without much passion for greatness.

So, for me, as a 9ers fan, it's kind weird in that I just watched him absolutely destroy my team but I'd still be pretty giddy about the Hawks dumping 20 million + APY into him in the long term.

Clowney is basically the Matt Stafford of edge players: too good to replace, but not good enough to really count on.

I like it when my team's opponents spend big on guys like that (and hate it when my team does it -- see: Kwon Alexander; and depending on how thirsty for blood you are, maybe Jimmy Garoppolo too :D )
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Clowney has been wreaking havok all year long. No, Hawks fans know exactly how good he is :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Clowney has been wreaking havok all year long. No, Hawks fans know exactly how good he is :roll:

Ok, I'll agree to disagree. Everyone will know soon enough.
    Washington49er
    NET Starter

• The fact that you likely look at stats alone to make your determination is funny. He's double teamed more than ANY player in the NFL, and he's held on almost every play. Yet he STILL impact the game over and over again.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Clowney has been wreaking havok all year long. No, Hawks fans know exactly how good he is :roll:

I've watched him much more this year than I have in the past, and to my eyes, overall, he has been fine. Maybe good, not great. I only watch the Texans based on matchup so I have a less good read on how he has been in the past, but his play this year has mostly fit my priors as based on his reputation.

All that said, if the Hawks and their fans are excited about giving him 20+ APY (and I'm not being a sm@rtass about this, sincerely), I have no interest in concern trolling, and seriously, more power to you.

In terms of his impact I basically think of him as a younger Michael Bennett with a bit more injury concern and a bit less positional versatility.

I definitely don't dislike him as a player, but I don't love him.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Well, it's not a popular opinion around here, but he's flat out better than Clark.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Popeyejones wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Clowney has been wreaking havok all year long. No, Hawks fans know exactly how good he is :roll:

I've watched him much more this year than I have in the past, and to my eyes, overall, he has been fine. Maybe good, not great. I only watch the Texans based on matchup so I have a less good read on how he has been in the past, but his play this year has mostly fit my priors as based on his reputation.

All that said, if the Hawks and their fans are excited about giving him 20+ APY (and I'm not being a sm@rtass about this, sincerely), I have no interest in concern trolling, and seriously, more power to you.

In terms of his impact I basically think of him as a younger Michael Bennett with a bit more injury concern and a bit less positional versatility.

I definitely don't dislike him as a player, but I don't love him.

Yeah, this is kind of the catch. He's disruptive, definitely, no question. He makes a couple plays a game that not many guys can make. But until this week, his effort (or possibly conditioning) has not been consistent, particularly in the second half of games. His pass rushing repertoire is limited. It always was, I'm not sure there is disputing this. Freak athlete, not the most refined fellow. Can you make a guy that will probably never get you double-digit sacks (I know, it is only one stat, but it's a pretty darn important one for a DE) one of the highest paid defensive players in football? People are going to label me a Clowney hater as they label me a Russ hater, for having reservations about giving a player with important limitations a blank check, but I just dunno. Definitely a more impactful player than Clark, but doesn't have the pass rush skills Frank does. And they declined to pay Clark that kind of money. My guess is they get it done and pay him. But my other guess is that it will be too much money for what they get and they'll regret it to some degree. I worry a little that he seemed to play so much harder in a big national game. That kind of smells like a guy seeing a paycheck.
    Last edited by Tical21 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• It's ok, whatever they do, xray will say Fire Pete :lol:
    Relax...….it's just a joke....
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Not so fast.

I’ve seen this dude live on several occasions.
    I’ve probably watched him more than the average Hawk fan.

I was Stoked to get him, I’m worried that we won’t keep him.

I’m probably one of the few that would be willing to say that he’s an equal to JJW in terms of the havoc he can bring.

Any guy that consistently draws a double team is a guy that the team BETTER consider keeping if at all possible.

We want an elite “D”?
    Pass rush and run stop are a huge part of that.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Idk what some of you guys are watching, Clowney always has been and still is one of the top 5 game wreckers in the entire league.

Maybe people don't watch closely enough, and only see the final sack totals and measurable stats..........but I haven't seen one game this year when he wasn't disruptive in both the run and pass game. Certainly not to the extent we saw him completely take over the game Monday Night, but enough IMO to make him one of the highest paid DE's.

There aren't enough ways to keep track of what Clowney does to opposing offenses. Sacks, pressures, splitting double teams to throw off plays, sealing off the edge so run plays get directed back inside for little or no gain, on and on......the dude's a monster game wrecker, and I want him on my team. 20M a year? I'm in.

Just think how bad this D-line would be without him, you don't let these kinds of players walk. You just don't. He's special.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I want him signed to an extension, and he flat out IS better than Clark. Get it done.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:Don’t care, pay the man. That’s not a phrase I use often either.

100% agree...pay him!
    Hawknight
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

• The guy is a wrecking ball. Even if he isn't getting the sacks, he is disrupting damn near every play. Pay the man.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• That fascination with stats never ends. He either disrupts the game or he doesn't. He is consistently pushing guys around, getting held and the most double teamed player in the league. He has proven to be one hell of an addition, and hopefully they make it happen.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Given what Clowney showed prior to the game (possibly top 10 but not top 5), then the obvious difference maker / game wrecker he stepped up to, I would have questions as to why myself. :?:

That said, it likely netted him $5-10M over the life of his next contract, especially if he keeps it up.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Pay Clowney whatever the going rate is. The topic is now over.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Last edited by MontanaHawk05 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: knock it off
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• He is a great fit for this team and is making a larger impact game to game than Clark did. He is a top 10 DE for sure, probably a top 5, and when he is on fire plays like a top 3. DE is a key role in this defense so if he continues to play great football I will not blink if he does get #1 DE money.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• He is getting paid with us and seriously doubt he wants to leave Seattle. There are things no other team can truly offer on this team that I think will make him want to stay. I also think we are going to keep Reed and possibly even Jefferson for the right price. They could form a really strong front D-Line along with Poona and maybe Collier in time. Not sure how he is going to come around yet, but I do believe he played 5 tech in college so that would work with Clowney as the Leo.

We will see how the line handles the last end of the season and playoffs. Hope they kill it!
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Washington49er wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Go ahead and ignore the BLATANT facemask that wasn't called that handed you guys a "touchdown" to keep the game close. It was an 11 point lead with the Hawks clearly in control.

Dude c'mon really? You're gonna go with the bad calls, there were bad calls all game long in both sides.

Like talking to a wall.

Just answer this. Were you Hawk fans questioning your D line and Clowneys play up to the S.F. game?

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158569

You only had 5 penalties for 40 yards called. Yeah, horrible.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• There's a lot of football left in this season. Clowney is a great match for Seattle. Let's see him keep doing this, or see if he regresses. Personally, I think the Seattle environment is a great fit for him and he will continue to ball out. JS/PC will make a good decision at the right time, based on the evidence. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Seahawk uni at least 3-5 more years.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information