No Love for #3

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:59 am
  • Ridiculous.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1699
    Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:22 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:07 am
  • You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15940
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:12 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.


    I can back this up. I have NFL Redzone...I watch all the games and, yep, it's bad all the time.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 13756
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 am
  • I don't know how many times this year Russ has been forcefully contacted after he started his slide. A few times he has been the 2019 equivalent of speared.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 150
    Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:10 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:18 am
  • The facemask I can see them missing, but he is sliding, feet first, and he gets hit by not one, but 3 players. Ignoring the helmet to helmet, just the fact that they didn't get flagged for hitting a sliding player is insane.

    NFL officiating is a travesty
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2664
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 am
  • NFL doesn't care enough to fix it's officiating problem. And yeah, it's bad all across the board. That said, I do feel Seattle got more $h!t calls/non-calls go against them last night than SF did.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22884
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:The facemask I can see them missing, but he is sliding, feet first, and he gets hit by not one, but 3 players. Ignoring the helmet to helmet, just the fact that they didn't get flagged for hitting a sliding player is insane.

    NFL officiating is a travesty

    ^ This ^ Last weeks game, Flowers was called for a PI that wasn't a PI, Sherman wasn't called for his PI on Metcalf, and it damned well should have been.
    The Refs gave the 49rs the lions share of the benefit of doubt in this game.....If not for the Defense making the necessary Defensive scheme changes from the last 9 games, & the implosion by GQ Jimmy, they wouldn't have been able to overcome the bias & help RW to win this game.
    The Seahawks weren't going to go down W/O a fight, this was a WHOLE TEAM EFFORT...WIN!
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7037
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:48 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:40 am
  • The thing is, there is blatant favoritism for some Legacy Teams. Those teams that were good in the past, that the ones that make some people feel good when they return to prominence.

    You can see it everywhere too. Especially on sports shows, where they have no guidelines as to integrity. The sad part is that the integrity of the game suffers, and too many people are willing to accept that in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

    As an example, a week or so ago, I was listening to 2 guys on ESPN that I wasn't familiar with, and they came to the topic of NFL MVP. They brought up Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson, and said "Oh, the leader for the MVP is definitely Lamar Jackson!"

    They couldn't really recite any statistics except for his running, so I couldn't see how they could elminate Russell from contention. Then I realized, these are 2 radio pundits looking for listeners, and they believe that the most listeners are going to turn to their show if they pick the East Coast guy.

    Now, after last Sunday, Lamar looked really good, but still, IMHO, not quite as good as Russell. And before Lamar, it was Aaron Rodgers who had one good pass that week. And before that, it was Christian McCaffery. They keep throwing out candidates from Legacy, or East Coast teams. I guess they feel they need to make the MVP race competitive?

    And I believe there is some competition for the MVP, but not the constant "He's definitely the guy for MVP" (this week, until he has a bad game).

    Sorry, got off track here. I just wish there was more integrity in the game. But as long as the almighty dollar rules supreme, the bias will be in the game. Makes me wonder if the referee really missed the blatant PI against the Rams in last year's NFCC game, or if he was all in on the "Phenom Coach," and the "Todd Gurley" train. 'The Greatest Show on Turf" is back! [And we need that LA Market!]
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 19262
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:47 am
  • The fix is definitely in. It was blatant that the refs for trying to slow Seattle last night. I don’t think it’s limited to Seattle like the others believe. New Orleans had four or five illegal hands to the face calls in the first quarter on Sunday. I think the NFL is just trying to steer Cinderella stories and David and goliath type rivalries.

    In the end no matter how emotionally tired you are to a team, it is just entertainment, and it is just a product.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NOLAHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 260
    Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 am
  • the argument that they didn't actually hit wilson's head on that slide holds no water for me.

    If you aren't going to flag that then whatever rule they used to justify that penalty on Jefferson is worthless. 3 guys leading with their helmets
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2474
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:50 am
  • ivotuk wrote:
    Sorry, got off track here. I just wish there was more integrity in the game. But as long as the almighty dollar rules supreme, the bias will be in the game. Makes me wonder if the referee really missed the blatant PI against the Rams in last year's NFCC game, or if he was all in on the "Phenom Coach," and the "Todd Gurley" train. 'The Greatest Show on Turf" is back! [And we need that LA Market!]


    The only ref tendencies I'd ever buy into is home field advantage, where they're nervous or make rash unconscious decisions because the crowd is going insane in the moment, and that instant OMG! moment of noise and boos/cheers knee jerks the ref to throw a flag, etc.

    But to think there's some sort of legacy bias directed down through the league offices to instruct the refs to favor "legacy teams" is ridiculous.

    If that was the case, why do the Cowboys only have one playoff win in the last 30 years. Why do the Browns not get calls to help them not suck every year. Why are both the Jets and Giants dumpster fires. Why hasn't the league and refs helped the Lions not suck for 50 years.

    Plenty of legacy teams getting the shaft from the refs just like the rest of us.

    These are all false pretense homer fans, and it's rampant in EVERY NFL city that thinks there's some nefarious leaguewide bias against THEIR team, again for no reason whatsoever that makes plausible sense.........other than it gives a reason for what's really going on, which is the refs have an impossible job of trying to interpret FAR TOO MANY new subjective rules.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15940
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    Sorry, got off track here. I just wish there was more integrity in the game. But as long as the almighty dollar rules supreme, the bias will be in the game. Makes me wonder if the referee really missed the blatant PI against the Rams in last year's NFCC game, or if he was all in on the "Phenom Coach," and the "Todd Gurley" train. 'The Greatest Show on Turf" is back! [And we need that LA Market!]


    The only ref tendencies I'd ever buy into is home field advantage, where they're nervous or make rash unconscious decisions because the crowd is going insane in the moment, and that instant OMG! moment of noise and boos/cheers knee jerks the ref to throw a flag, etc.

    But to think there's some sort of legacy bias directed down through the league offices to instruct the refs to favor "legacy teams" is ridiculous.

    If that was the case, why do the Cowboys only have one playoff win in the last 30 years. Why do the Browns not get calls to help them not suck every year. Why are both the Jets and Giants dumpster fires. Why hasn't the league and refs helped the Lions not suck for 50 years.

    Plenty of legacy teams getting the shaft from the refs just like the rest of us.

    These are all false pretense homer fans, and it's rampant in EVERY NFL city that thinks there's some nefarious leaguewide bias against THEIR team, again for no reason whatsoever that makes plausible sense.........other than it gives a reason for what's really going on, which is the refs have an impossible job of trying to interpret FAR TOO MANY new subjective rules.


    The conspiracy angle is a lot easier to swallow than "hard job, they get it wrong sometimes, and sometimes there's really actually not a good answer".
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2321
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:NFL doesn't care enough to fix it's officiating problem. And yeah, it's bad all across the board. That said, I do feel Seattle got more $h!t calls/non-calls go against them last night than SF did.


    I love how people bring out this narrative of NFL having an officiating problem when they don’t. Officials will always make errors and paying them more, making them full time, etc won’t fix it. Game is too fast for the human eye to see everything and interpret correctly.

    What has to happen is fan expectations need to be lower. We sit back watching replays in super slo mo 4K 70” TVs and yell at refs for missing things that are judgement calls.

    You have to rise above blaming refs. Sucks when it happens in big games but it’s part of the risk of watching the NFL just like bad bounces.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1476
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am
  • Stop trying to make excuses for the refs...

    There was just way way way more in the 49ers favor last night. Im talking 15-1 difference.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1027
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:59 am
  • bmorepunk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    Sorry, got off track here. I just wish there was more integrity in the game. But as long as the almighty dollar rules supreme, the bias will be in the game. Makes me wonder if the referee really missed the blatant PI against the Rams in last year's NFCC game, or if he was all in on the "Phenom Coach," and the "Todd Gurley" train. 'The Greatest Show on Turf" is back! [And we need that LA Market!]


    The only ref tendencies I'd ever buy into is home field advantage, where they're nervous or make rash unconscious decisions because the crowd is going insane in the moment, and that instant OMG! moment of noise and boos/cheers knee jerks the ref to throw a flag, etc.

    But to think there's some sort of legacy bias directed down through the league offices to instruct the refs to favor "legacy teams" is ridiculous.

    If that was the case, why do the Cowboys only have one playoff win in the last 30 years. Why do the Browns not get calls to help them not suck every year. Why are both the Jets and Giants dumpster fires. Why hasn't the league and refs helped the Lions not suck for 50 years.

    Plenty of legacy teams getting the shaft from the refs just like the rest of us.

    These are all false pretense homer fans, and it's rampant in EVERY NFL city that thinks there's some nefarious leaguewide bias against THEIR team, again for no reason whatsoever that makes plausible sense.........other than it gives a reason for what's really going on, which is the refs have an impossible job of trying to interpret FAR TOO MANY new subjective rules.


    The conspiracy angle is a lot easier to swallow than "hard job, they get it wrong sometimes, and sometimes there's really actually not a good answer".


    How could you not get it wrong sometimes when you're expected to call a bunch of new subjective rules that you're expected to call in a split second, most of which can't be overturned in replay?

    PI, helmet to helmet, defenseless receiver or punt returner, leading with the crown of the helmet........these are all almost impossible to interpret in the split seconds that they happen.

    So yeah it's frustrating, and we all like to get up on our soap boxes and declare bias. But it's just not true, because there's no plausible reason the league hates the Hawks and loves the Niners. That's just crazy talk.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15940
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    Sorry, got off track here. I just wish there was more integrity in the game. But as long as the almighty dollar rules supreme, the bias will be in the game. Makes me wonder if the referee really missed the blatant PI against the Rams in last year's NFCC game, or if he was all in on the "Phenom Coach," and the "Todd Gurley" train. 'The Greatest Show on Turf" is back! [And we need that LA Market!]


    The only ref tendencies I'd ever buy into is home field advantage, where they're nervous or make rash unconscious decisions because the crowd is going insane in the moment, and that instant OMG! moment of noise and boos/cheers knee jerks the ref to throw a flag, etc.

    But to think there's some sort of legacy bias directed down through the league offices to instruct the refs to favor "legacy teams" is ridiculous.

    If that was the case, why do the Cowboys only have one playoff win in the last 30 years. Why do the Browns not get calls to help them not suck every year. Why are both the Jets and Giants dumpster fires. Why hasn't the league and refs helped the Lions not suck for 50 years.

    Plenty of legacy teams getting the shaft from the refs just like the rest of us.

    These are all false pretense homer fans, and it's rampant in EVERY NFL city that thinks there's some nefarious leaguewide bias against THEIR team, again for no reason whatsoever that makes plausible sense.........other than it gives a reason for what's really going on, which is the refs have an impossible job of trying to interpret FAR TOO MANY new subjective rules.


    The conspiracy angle is a lot easier to swallow than "hard job, they get it wrong sometimes, and sometimes there's really actually not a good answer".


    How could you not get it wrong sometimes when you're expected to call a bunch of new subjective rules that you're expected to call in a split second, most of which can't be overturned in replay?

    PI, helmet to helmet, defenseless receiver or punt returner, leading with the crown of the helmet........these are all almost impossible to interpret in the split seconds that they happen.

    So yeah it's frustrating, and we all like to get up on our soap boxes and declare bias. But it's just not true, because there's no plausible reason the league hates the Hawks and loves the Niners. That's just crazy talk.


    Stealers XL?

    May not be an NFL but definately possible for gambling thing for refs. 1st drive again you knew it will tough day against the refs. 3 3rd down penalties.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1027
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 am
  • Mad Dog wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:NFL doesn't care enough to fix it's officiating problem. And yeah, it's bad all across the board. That said, I do feel Seattle got more $h!t calls/non-calls go against them last night than SF did.


    I love how people bring out this narrative of NFL having an officiating problem when they don’t. Officials will always make errors and paying them more, making them full time, etc won’t fix it. Game is too fast for the human eye to see everything and interpret correctly.

    What has to happen is fan expectations need to be lower. We sit back watching replays in super slo mo 4K 70” TVs and yell at refs for missing things that are judgement calls.

    You have to rise above blaming refs. Sucks when it happens in big games but it’s part of the risk of watching the NFL just like bad bounces.

    Sorry I disagree. It could be better and I use the fact that some games and some officials are much better than others as my proof.
    For example, Mike Carey was so bad that I had 6 guys at a former job, all literally fans of 6 different teams mention at one time or another that they thought he was biased against their team. That's not just bad, but consistently bad. I do agree about the game being too fast which is why I'm in favor of the sky judge (as were all 32 HCs last offseason) but it could be significantly better than it is.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22884
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 am
  • rcaido wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    The only ref tendencies I'd ever buy into is home field advantage, where they're nervous or make rash unconscious decisions because the crowd is going insane in the moment, and that instant OMG! moment of noise and boos/cheers knee jerks the ref to throw a flag, etc.

    But to think there's some sort of legacy bias directed down through the league offices to instruct the refs to favor "legacy teams" is ridiculous.

    If that was the case, why do the Cowboys only have one playoff win in the last 30 years. Why do the Browns not get calls to help them not suck every year. Why are both the Jets and Giants dumpster fires. Why hasn't the league and refs helped the Lions not suck for 50 years.

    Plenty of legacy teams getting the shaft from the refs just like the rest of us.

    These are all false pretense homer fans, and it's rampant in EVERY NFL city that thinks there's some nefarious leaguewide bias against THEIR team, again for no reason whatsoever that makes plausible sense.........other than it gives a reason for what's really going on, which is the refs have an impossible job of trying to interpret FAR TOO MANY new subjective rules.


    The conspiracy angle is a lot easier to swallow than "hard job, they get it wrong sometimes, and sometimes there's really actually not a good answer".


    How could you not get it wrong sometimes when you're expected to call a bunch of new subjective rules that you're expected to call in a split second, most of which can't be overturned in replay?

    PI, helmet to helmet, defenseless receiver or punt returner, leading with the crown of the helmet........these are all almost impossible to interpret in the split seconds that they happen.

    So yeah it's frustrating, and we all like to get up on our soap boxes and declare bias. But it's just not true, because there's no plausible reason the league hates the Hawks and loves the Niners. That's just crazy talk.


    Stealers XL?

    May not be an NFL but definately possible for gambling thing for refs. 1st drive again you knew it will tough day against the refs. 3 3rd down penalties.


    You talk to any fanbase, and every single one of them will give you a laundry list of bad biased calls that went against them over their history. Hell, I have a Patriot buddy that's still crying about all the bad calls that went against them in the Eagle's SB, and suspending Brady for inflated footballs, and taking away draft picks because of Spygate, etc................cause why? Wait for it...............the league is tired of them winning.

    But yeah, it's just us.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15940
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    rcaido wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:
    The conspiracy angle is a lot easier to swallow than "hard job, they get it wrong sometimes, and sometimes there's really actually not a good answer".


    How could you not get it wrong sometimes when you're expected to call a bunch of new subjective rules that you're expected to call in a split second, most of which can't be overturned in replay?

    PI, helmet to helmet, defenseless receiver or punt returner, leading with the crown of the helmet........these are all almost impossible to interpret in the split seconds that they happen.

    So yeah it's frustrating, and we all like to get up on our soap boxes and declare bias. But it's just not true, because there's no plausible reason the league hates the Hawks and loves the Niners. That's just crazy talk.


    Stealers XL?

    May not be an NFL but definately possible for gambling thing for refs. 1st drive again you knew it will tough day against the refs. 3 3rd down penalties.


    You talk to any fanbase, and every single one of them will give you a laundry list of bad biased calls that went against them over their history. Hell, I have a Patriot buddy that's still crying about all the bad calls that went against them in the Eagle's SB, and suspending Brady for inflated footballs, and taking away draft picks because of Spygate, etc................cause why? Wait for it...............the league is tired of them winning.

    But yeah, it's just us.



    I dont think anything is "rigged" per se, but I still the think the truth lies somewhere in between.

    There is NO WAY, NONE that Brady or Rodgers dont draw a flag for either of those calls last night. If you so much as graze Brady's left kneecap he draws a flag. So I do think there is some (even if its subconscious) bias at play at times.

    The rest of the crap we saw last night was probably just gross incompetence. Probably. Although, that "in the grasp" BS tends to shift me to conspiracy land. That seems even beyond sucking at your job. How do you call that????
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2492
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.



    Woods was not a body slam the rule is you must lift him up off the ground and slam him woods never does that. FYI they missed 3 facemask on Wilson, 2 in the grasps, 2 hits while sliding etc etc.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1676
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:29 am
  • Referees are certainly bad this year and probably the worst they've been in sometime, yesterday was absolutely steered. There were so many uncalled plays versus questionable judgement calls that pushed the game to a better finish. 49ers were on the receiving end of almost all. It was what, 4x 15 yard penalties on Seahawks compared to 0 back breaking ones for them?

    I'm not saying the league went out and said give the 49ers a win, I'm saying the consistent judgement calls went one way to make it a close MNF battle. As soon as they put up 21 points I knew the Seahawks wouldn't be getting any judgement/benefit calls the rest of the game, at least until it was tied. I don't think anyone would doubt the NFL would do that for ratings.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5276
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:54 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:34 am
  • John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.



    Woods was not a body slam the rule is you must lift him up off the ground and slam him woods never does that. FYI they missed 3 facemask on Wilson, 2 in the grasps, 2 hits while sliding etc etc.


    It absolutely was a penalty by the league rules.

    But I'm done arguing with you tinfoil hat wearers. You're right, the league hates us, the refs hate us, everyone hates us. If only by the grace of the almighty football gods that we won a SB at all, I can't believe we're so amazing that we've overcome this sort of egregious evil heinous bias that's so clear week in and week out.

    I can't believe Pete doesn't just ask Jody to move the team to a city where the league will love us, so we can finally be a legacy team that the league and refs makes calls for.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15940
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 pm
  • They cant see a penalty cuz he is too small.




















    Im joking John! ;)
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2760
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 pm
  • Hawkpower wrote:I dont think anything is "rigged" per se, but I still the think the truth lies somewhere in between.

    There is NO WAY, NONE that Brady or Rodgers dont draw a flag for either of those calls last night. If you so much as graze Brady's left kneecap he draws a flag. So I do think there is some (even if its subconscious) bias at play at times.

    The rest of the crap we saw last night was probably just gross incompetence. Probably. Although, that "in the grasp" BS tends to shift me to conspiracy land. That seems even beyond sucking at your job. How do you call that????


    Certain players might get an unintentional bias with some officials. It happens in the NBA and it happens in the NFL. But I don't think it happens as much as some people make it out to be.

    Officials intentionally going after players? I can't think of any NFL examples but I remember that Spurs game where Duncan got ejected for laughing at Joey Crawford from the bench. Crawford had serious issues. But that's pretty rare.

    Officials doing something due to financial gain? That can happen, but once again, really rare.

    If there is indeed an error made, then it's almost always just human error. It's a tough thing to do to watch what's happening in real time and make calls based on a complex set of rules. Could it be better? Yeah. Is it the "worst ever" now? Probably not.

    And like Sgt. Largent has said, a lot of the rules are subjective and every fan base I'm aware of thinks there is some kind of bias against them. It's easier to full-on scapegoat the officials or drum up really complicated conspiracy theories than accept a loss straight up for many people.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2321
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:38 pm
  • The NFL likes what is happening or they’d fix the longtime officiating problem. Overall they are getting their desired results or they would fix the problem that has been going on for a decade or more. If it was merely incompetence they’d simply fire the $h!t officials and the problem would be solved.

    They need to streamline the rule book and only call obvious penalties. They also need to have an independent body that isn’t associated with the NFL, grade and punish underperforming officials and make all discipline PUBLIC. They then need to terminate the worst officials.

    I believe “steering” towards a desired result is very real in today’s NFL.
    ....and it isn’t because they hate Seattle, it’s financial.

    The more success the “legacy teams” with big fanbases have the more playoff and Super Bowl swag the NFL sells.
    IT’S SIMPLY ABOUT THE $$$. The NFL would love to have the Niners or Cowboys, 2 longtime legacy franchises that haven’t won a Super Bowl since the mid 1990’s, win. That would be a huge cash cow for the league, they’d sell a crapton of Quest for 6 swag alone.

    They can only steer games to a point though, or they have another XL* situation on their hands, where fans of all stripes are questioning the integrity of the game. The officiating walked right up to that point last night and stopped just short of it.

    The “Legacy team theory“ is very real whether anyone wants to admit it or not.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26522
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm
  • Nfl needs to drug test refs 3 times a week and leave the players alone.

    Game is almost unwatchable.
    Sealake80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 586
    Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:42 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:20 pm
  • It's a matter of consistency. If calls are bad but called uniformly then that's something that we can live with.

    When they overlook multiple calls against the 49ers vs. Russ and then whistle Russ down on the one play that he turns into a positive gain then that's bad in just one direction and it does cause fans to break out the tin foil hats. Similarly, when Sherman is draped all over a receiver then throwing a DPI on Flowers feels bad.

    The non-conspiracy theory for calls that seem to favor one team is that expectations influence perception. Michael Jordan received very favorable calls throughout his career because the refs were expecting him to make a great move or shot. Similarly, the 49ers were 8-0 and looked pretty good so far this season. It's not that big of a stretch to suggest the refs were expecting them to play better than they did and that their calls mirrored those expectations.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3981
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:58 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.



    Woods was not a body slam the rule is you must lift him up off the ground and slam him woods never does that. FYI they missed 3 facemask on Wilson, 2 in the grasps, 2 hits while sliding etc etc.


    It absolutely was a penalty by the league rules.

    But I'm done arguing with you tinfoil hat wearers. You're right, the league hates us, the refs hate us, everyone hates us. If only by the grace of the almighty football gods that we won a SB at all, I can't believe we're so amazing that we've overcome this sort of egregious evil heinous bias that's so clear week in and week out.

    I can't believe Pete doesn't just ask Jody to move the team to a city where the league will love us, so we can finally be a legacy team that the league and refs makes calls for.


    LOL yeah well your wrong it was not a penalty you need top lift them off the ground that is what the rule says.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1676
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:19 pm
  • Officiating and the league are targeting the Hawks ? That's showbiz in the NFL :!:
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1373
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:15 pm
  • "Legacy team theory"
    "East Coast bias"
    "They want Bettis to win in his hometown"

    Sometimes this can be an absolutely ridiculous place to come to. You may as well say that 9/11 was perpetrated by a team of ninja janitors that painted the elevator shafts of the World Trade Centers with Super Thermite. :179419:
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1304
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:00 pm
  • Last night's game was not "rigged" and the refs were definitely affected by the home crowd.

    Both these things are true
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2474
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:45 pm
  • That no call was atrocious, but overall I didn't think the calls made were that bad. I agreed with most on replay even though I thought some were ticky-tack against us. But any fan is gonna say that.

    There wasn't anything like for example those two phantom facemask calls against Detroit.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1159
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:07 pm
  • Is it the NFL possibly steering officiating? or who else would benefit?...that's right..we know who. I would believe it easier for "the mob" to control the refs than the NFL. …..lol...…..I'm joking...or am I?.....lol....certainly no "paper trail"...…...doesn't matter the team(s)..just the over/under...and spread......I could see why every team might be abused at one time or another...……….it makes sense in a lot of ways....oh...and they are union yes?...………….lololol

    Don't kill me...I'm just havin fun :)
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1167
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:20 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:"They want Bettis to win in his hometown"

    Did you watch the pregame? It was 75 % stealers talk
    Are you aware the OPI on DJack was called by an official born, raised and still residing at the time in Pittsburgh, PA?
    Even John Madden said he didn't see a hold on the most critical play of the game, the hold on Sean Locklear
    Did you see the stealer D-lineman offsides on that play that was not called?
    Did you notice the stealer o-lineman 15 yards downfield not called on a pass play?


    I could go on but no need. Do I think it was scripted? Probably not but there's no doubt there was at least a very real subconscious bias and it was strong and it had a huge effect on the outcome of the game. Besides, if you have to ask if it was "steered" there's a problem.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22884
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: No Love for #3
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.



    Woods was not a body slam the rule is you must lift him up off the ground and slam him woods never does that. FYI they missed 3 facemask on Wilson, 2 in the grasps, 2 hits while sliding etc etc.


    It absolutely was a penalty by the league rules.

    But I'm done arguing with you tinfoil hat wearers. You're right, the league hates us, the refs hate us, everyone hates us. If only by the grace of the almighty football gods that we won a SB at all, I can't believe we're so amazing that we've overcome this sort of egregious evil heinous bias that's so clear week in and week out.

    I can't believe Pete doesn't just ask Jody to move the team to a city where the league will love us, so we can finally be a legacy team that the league and refs makes calls for.


    oooo. Promise?
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5462
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm
    Location: Taipei


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:45 pm
  • Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs? I could find at least 5 times this year he was hit after he began his slide on a run. The vast majority of times it is flagged even if the player has left his feet before the slide. I also have seen many times that players line up offsides and it is not flagged. On Monday night towards the end of the game, the play clock reached 00 before the snap of the 9ers. The play was not blown dead, the result was a TD.

    Quite simply, the referees are atrociously bad. They are as bad as I have ever seen.

    IMO, get rid of the replays, get rid of challenges for PI. Just let the referees call the game. I liked the game much better when it was 3 hours or less long.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 150
    Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:10 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:08 pm
  • jeremiah wrote:Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs? I could find at least 5 times this year he was hit after he began his slide on a run. The vast majority of times it is flagged even if the player has left his feet before the slide. I also have seen many times that players line up offsides and it is not flagged. On Monday night towards the end of the game, the play clock reached 00 before the snap of the 9ers. The play was not blown dead, the result was a TD.

    Quite simply, the referees are atrociously bad. They are as bad as I have ever seen.

    IMO, get rid of the replays, get rid of challenges for PI. Just let the referees call the game. I liked the game much better when it was 3 hours or less long.



    Get rid of replays? Are you nuts.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1027
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm
  • jeremiah wrote:Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs?


    This is what they've been saying in Carolina for 10 years about Cam. This is what they said in Atlanta forever about Michael Vick......and I guarantee you this is what they'll be saying in Baltimore for the next 10 years about Jackson.

    Anytime you have a unique super quick and versatile QB that uses his legs more than most QB's, you're going to see the refs treat them different.

    btw, Pete said in his presser yesterday that he's asking the league office for an explanation on the "in the grasp" call that Russell somehow spun out of but the play was whistled dead for a sack.

    So for as much as I also yell at the TV when Russell slides down and takes a hit that sure looks like it could be a late hit, I also want the refs to let Russell do his thing and extend the play when guys are draped all over him.

    Guarantee you that's what the league office is telling Pete today.......you can't have it both ways, if you want us to allow Russell to do his thing and fight for every yard he can when scrambling, then you're going to have some slide and escape plays where the refs let Russell take a shot vs treat him like Brady and other stationary QB's that the league wants to protect.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15940
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:32 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    jeremiah wrote:Can't we just agree that RW is treated differently than other QBs?


    This is what they've been saying in Carolina for 10 years about Cam. This is what they said in Atlanta forever about Michael Vick......and I guarantee you this is what they'll be saying in Baltimore for the next 10 years about Jackson.

    Anytime you have a unique super quick and versatile QB that uses his legs more than most QB's, you're going to see the refs treat them different.

    btw, Pete said in his presser yesterday that he's asking the league office for an explanation on the "in the grasp" call that Russell somehow spun out of but the play was whistled dead for a sack.

    So for as much as I also yell at the TV when Russell slides down and takes a hit that sure looks like it could be a late hit, I also want the refs to let Russell do his thing and extend the play when guys are draped all over him.

    Guarantee you that's what the league office is telling Pete today.......you can't have it both ways, if you want us to allow Russell to do his thing and fight for every yard he can when scrambling, then you're going to have some slide and escape plays where the refs let Russell take a shot vs treat him like Brady and other stationary QB's that the league wants to protect.



    I understand the premise of what you are saying, however in the case of a QB giving himself up and sliding it shouldnt matter whether he is a running QB or not.

    The minute he gives himself up with a slide, he's down, so why would/should the refs give extra leeway to a defender who takes a shot late? If he's running, sure. Treat him as if hes a running back, but not on a slide, and I think that's what many of the guys here are alluding to.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2492
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 am
    Location: Phoenix az


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:38 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.


    This guy gets it. Bad calls are made all the time. It’s ridiculous to think it only happens to us. For just about every play that goes against us, we get a favorable one. In the end, they should balance out.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:47 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.



    Woods was not a body slam the rule is you must lift him up off the ground and slam him woods never does that. FYI they missed 3 facemask on Wilson, 2 in the grasps, 2 hits while sliding etc etc.

    That is the facts..I'm sure.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4886
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:28 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're right, but Al Woods also body slammed Jimmy, and that wasn't called.

    I know we love nothing more here than our everyone hates us for no apparent reason whatsover, but we're going to perpetuate this irrational idea until the day we die................but the reality is the reffing in NFL games is just that terrible.

    Do you guys not watch other NFL games? It's bad ALL THE TIME.


    This guy gets it. Bad calls are made all the time. It’s ridiculous to think it only happens to us. For just about every play that goes against us, we get a favorable one. In the end, they should balance out.

    +1
    I think people enjoy feeling like the victim. Oh woe is me, it's a conspiracy, they don't like us. The truth is too simple to believe. They find it hard to believe that the refs sometimes just get it wrong. If you think it's going to change you are sorely mistaken. Until the refs become full time employees it is going to continue. And even that is not a guarantee.
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1304
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


Re: No Love for #3
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:56 pm
  • I've been saying this for years; the NFL needs to have computers - SOFTWARE - perform officiating. Not people. Get sensors in all the places you need them, on players, the ball, etc., and take the human element out of it altogether except for manual review...which should be done remotely, to help remove one's own biases from the game, being on the field, in the heat of the moment.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30950
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ




It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online